Was 2012 SDCC a disappointment for Star Wars 1/6th Collectors?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLOSI

Nerf Herder
Reaction score
I can’t help but feel that SDCC was a real let down in terms of Star Wars 1/6th. Bossk, the Snowtrooper and the E-Web cannon PO’d, and we got to see Ep1 Obi-Wan and ESB/ROTJ Vader. No surprises, no big reveal. During past SDCCs SS debuted much anticipated figures such as Vader, their Stormtrooper, Yoda and his Hutt, Boba Fett and General Grevious (who was also curiously absent from the SS display in 2012)… What happened in 2012??? It all feels like a real letdown to me. :(

I feel.ripped off for sure, and not just by sideshow but hasbro too, maybe celebration will be more fruitful

I wonder too Fett was shown last year and released this year, so does that mean for padawan obi/ malgus/ Vader it will be just as long also? Kind if a bummer

I guess if you don't count Bossk and the Snowtroopers as being "reveals" since we had just preordered them a few days before then yeah it was kind of a letdown.

It would have been cool if in addition to Malgus they had 1/6 Trooper and Bounty Hunter figures from TOR too.

I was sure we'd see a tauntaun with the snowtroopers so that was a definite bummer.

the ole' grey mare just aint' what she used to be.............:monkey1

I can’t help but feel that SDCC was a real let down in terms of Star Wars 1/6th. Bossk, the Snowtrooper and the E-Web cannon PO’d, and we got to see Ep1 Obi-Wan and ESB/ROTJ Vader. No surprises, no big reveal. During past SDCCs SS debuted much anticipated figures such as Vader, their Stormtrooper, Yoda and his Hutt, Boba Fett and General Grevious (who was also curiously absent from the SS display in 2012)… What happened in 2012??? It all feels like a real letdown to me. :(

What disappointed me more than anything was Sideshow's coverage of the event itself. It seems to me that the last few years they have had great coverage on their website. Multiple photos of all displays. Videos of the products with discussions from the designers and artists. Unless I am missing something on their website, I don't see any of that this year.

Nayo

Yes.

Since we saw the snowclones and sandpeople in advance (which are excellent), there was nothing else.

Vader was a total let down. They didn't even show the reveal helmet, which is the BIG selling point on this one.

I think this feeling carries over to HT's offerings as well. The entire show was a big let down. Not even any real exciting news for any new movies coming or anything.

I just thought that with the Snowtrooper we would have seen, say, a Tauntaun or a Rebel Trooper too? Or they could have shown us more of Vader.... Bossk and the Snowtrooper are cool but those are far from big ground breaking reveals, unless you take into account that we now know more Hoth stuff is on the way.

It was a little bit of a let down. The only surprise was Malgus. And yeah, the Sandpeople and Snowtrooper dioramas were pretty cool, but the clones display was a little bland. They could have included Grievous again in there, even if it was still in that early prototype statue stage. And with Vader, they could/should have shown him with his mask off and play up the reason this Vader is "deluxe". Or even include the HT Luke with him too just so we can take another look at him. OR they could have emphasized the whole ESB push and created a Snowtrooper/Vader/Boba/Bossk/HT Luke ESB display.

Aside from the Sandpeople and Snowtrooper displays, the SW displays really felt half-assed, almost like an afterthought.

This year I didn't really care as much. The bloated prices of these things of late has really left a sour taste in my mouth and has taken my excitement of sec releases from a 10 to a 3.

I think the problem is that there is too much pre-con hype that ruins the surprises that would probably be better left to the con. If the Snow Troopers and Bossk first appeared at the con, it would've been pretty awesome, right? Other companies have had the same problem--Hot Toys included.

I felt that Malgus was a great surprise. I did not feel the impact that I did with Vader's CC reveal...but I didn't feel let down either. There have been other years that Sideshow's CC reveals were not the grail pieces that Vader and Fett are.

Now, I do feel that they got upstaged by Bludd and Baroness from the GI Joe line.

But Sideshow will have other SDCCs with awesome reveals. Just wait for Chewbacca and the Speeder Bike.

It almost looks as though they gave their all for the new DC 1/6 scale series, and, while Bossk, the new Clones, the Tuskens and Snowtroopers were great, didn't really try for Star Wars. What they had looked great, but REX and Cody again!? They are LONG GONE, and WHERE was Vader's 'deluxe' parts??

What I REALLY want to know more about now, is that Chogokin C-3P0!! Now THAT has my interest!

And I'm really getting nervous for the pricing. I hope they don't price me, people like me, and themselves out of this hobby. :monkey2

It would have been cool if in addition to Malgus they had 1/6 Trooper and Bounty Hunter figures from TOR too.

While Malgus looks fantastic I won't be getting him but I'd be all over the Trooper and Bounty Hunter.

I was sure we'd see a tauntaun with the snowtroopers so that was a definite bummer.

I would think a tauntaun won't be introduced before a ESB Luke and/or Han or afterwards?

The Fox figure made me happy. With all the stuff already in the pipeline my wallet couldn't take it anyway so I'm kind of glad. I guess they should have just held off on some of the announcements...raiders, snowtroopers, etc? :dunno

Bossk looked fantastic to me and so did Malgus. The Snow Troopers looked cooler than I had originally thought too.

Vader was a sowhat kinda showing. I would have loved to see a more dramatic pose with him close to HT Luke. Obi was probably the biggest SS SW disappointment for me. They haven't done a really nice human SW sculpt since Old Ben.

I agree. This year was very disappointing. I remember seeing their Dewback display online last year and falling out of my chair. Don't get me wrong, the Tusken Raider display was very cool, but it didn't have that same whoa factor!

In all fairness, I also think a lot of our disappointment was brought on by speculating and rumors.

And I agree with the rest of you that are growing concerned with the prices... they are getting a bit too high.

It almost looks as though they gave their all for the new DC 1/6 scale series, and, while Bossk, the new Clones, the Tuskens and Snowtroopers were great, didn't really try for Star Wars. What they had looked great, but REX and Cody again!? They are LONG GONE, and WHERE was Vader's 'deluxe' parts??

What I REALLY want to know more about now, is that Chogokin C-3P0!! Now THAT has my interest!And I'm really getting nervous for the pricing. I hope they don't price me, people like me, and themselves out of this hobby. :monkey2

This and Malgus are what i'm keeping an eye out for. Really wish Sideshow would give some C3PO info.

Back