Keeping dust out of Besta and Detolf cabinets?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrimarrko

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I read on one thread that some people use a foam weatherstrip around the door on a Detolf to help keep dust out.

I was wondering if anyone had a preferred product or color that worked well, and a picture or two?

Also, do you guys with the Besta cabinets and Tombo doors use something to help with the seal, and if so, what do you use?

Thanks in advance for any information and product/application details that you're able to provide.

~Orri

Here's what I did with my Detlof, just bought some clear plastic hose, cut it down the middle, an wrapped it around the edge of the door. When the door is closed it fills any gap, and it's clear:
3.jpg

1.jpg

Sean

What mm is the tubing?

I've forgotten by this time (that was quite some time ago) but there is printing on the tubing that says 5/16" x 7/16". You can probably cut a few small samples to take home and determine what size works best for your situation. I'm in the US, here most hardware stores sell this tubing near the plumbing stuff.

Sean

I've forgotten by this time (that was quite some time ago) but there is printing on the tubing that says 5/16" x 7/16". You can probably cut a few small samples to take home and determine what size works best for your situation. I'm in the US, here most hardware stores sell this tubing near the plumbing stuff.

Sean

Cheers.
Did you put it round the top and bottom at all and what about the hinge side?

Cheers.
Did you put it round the top and bottom at all and what about the hinge side?

Yes, all four sides. The "hinge" on a Detlof is a small pole at the top and another at the bottom of the right hand side of the door that it swings on. You can easily slit the clear tubing, length-wise, to fit around the edge of the glass, and cut it to the proper length for all four sides without worrying about the hinge. Again just be certain you have thick enough tubing to fill the gap you're trying to block before buying the tubing and slitting it.

Sean

Yes, all four sides. The "hinge" on a Detlof is a small pole at the top and another at the bottom of the right hand side of the door that it swings on. You can easily slit the clear tubing, length-wise, to fit around the edge of the glass, and cut it to the proper length for all four sides without worrying about the hinge. Again just be certain you have thick enough tubing to fill the gap you're trying to block before buying the tubing and slitting it.

Sean

Cheers mate this looks the best way to keep these dust free without having to stick weather strips to the glass :D

Nice ideas in here!

I for myself use these weather-strips with 'bristles' (granted they got their disadvantages too).

But dealing with museum-grade preservation, I try to have as less plastic I can in a display setting. Good thing is through the bristle-strips you also got a slight air exchange.

Nice ideas in here!

I for myself use these weather-strips with 'bristles' (granted they got their disadvantages too).

But dealing with museum-grade preservation, I try to have as less plastic I can in a display setting. Good thing is through the bristle-strips you also got a slight air exchange.

is it not good if its airtight?

No, you'd have to control the air-quality externally if you did.. Or at least remove dangerous fumes or pollution emmited by the figures themselves or the material used to build the display case (especially Ikea stuff is a pain)..

Back