Clothing dye transfer prevention

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merc

Super Freak
Reaction score
(Originally had this on the collectibles general board, but this might be better here)

I recently bought a 1/6 scale black German uniform to set the HT Hugo Weaving Red Skull sculpt up on. I placed the uniform on an extra TrueType I had and found that the black dye was coming off both onto my hands as well as the body (looks like it has been rolled in soot and the figure body won't come clean, especially the rubber parts).

Is there anything I can do to prevent any further dye transfer? I don't want to ruin my Hugo Weaving sculpt when I get my Red Skull.

Soak it in some vinegar.

That doesn't always work though. Despite treating the hell out of my Enterbay GoD suits, I still got dye transfer on the bodies. Picking up a Triad body suit to cover the body should stop it though except for maybe the neck and wrists where the outfit is still touching the plastic.

I don't know what dye you use, but I use Rit dyes. I believe the answer you seek is "Retayne." It's used to "bleed" out the excess color and help essentially bond the dye to the fibers.

I'm sure not all dyes are created equally, but Rit dyes and Retayne work well together, from my experience.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what dye was used. I bought the black uniform from Dollsfigure/rare-figuretoys .

Is there anyway to remove this on rubber figures? My brand new Muscle TT really didn't like that black shirt he wore for a few hours. Main issue is getting it off the neck. I could live with less obvious marks around the body.

I'm not sure if rubber parts can be saved, as it absorbs into the material far worse than plastics. Even a standard body requires excessive treatment as it is.

There's always the Jake Gyllenhaal Hot Toys Muscle TrueType 19 that came out a while back.

Not sure if that would match a Christian Bale headsculpt, assuming, of course, you are referring to a movie kitbash.

That's the one I just got to use and got dyed. I'm using the TF ex Bruce head. I'll just make it work for now and eventually replace it with another when I get the DX12.

Back