The Hero Project - Action Figures Of World Cultural Heroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonWes

Super Freak
Reaction score
With a lot of action figure lovers here, I thought I'd spread the word on this new project to you I heard about a couple days ago. Right now it's on Kickstarter. I just love the concept behind it. The base body looks really great. Lots more info here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gogodynamo/the-hero-project-action-figures-of-world-cultural

But basically they are using a standard 8'' buck body:
c2cc0af5ca8ff9c0079eb482448d05cc_large.jpg

And they are going to build a line of heroes from different cultures. Some of which I'm betting a lot of people haven't heard of, especially kids. It'd be great if these eventually made it into specialty/education toy shops. The first one up is Rama:
2c6898f458c1a21b573a8620b6cc1c86_large.jpg

Here are some upcoming ones:
9b7adbb811698af62abde61ec43eddb7_large.jpg

Their goal is HUGE so I worry a bit about that... but I really hope it takes off! If you're not in the US you do have to jump through a bit of a hoop to donate (they talk about it at the bottom) but it's not too bad an extra step. Just thought I'd share if anyone is interested!

Man, you even identified the ones in shadow? Nice. I got the others but not those two. Now that you say it, though, I can see it.

They are also interested in eventually developing a female body too. Here is Sita for reference:

28006828903403884_eLR3NJMJ_f.jpg

I for one would rather my kids had representations of all the worlds deities and folk heroes rather than just the christian western versions. They are all good 'stories' even some of the King James Bible ones. But in truth I think it will be a tough sell. I'm a dedicated atheist but still hoped that JCL figures would sell well, I got Moses but was 'praying' the mooted Jesus would get a release as well.

I for one would rather my kids had representations of all the worlds deities and folk heroes rather than just the christian western versions. They are all good 'stories' even some of the King James Bible ones. But in truth I think it will be a tough sell. I'm a dedicated atheist but still hoped that JCL figures would sell well, I got Moses but was 'praying' the mooted Jesus would get a release as well.

I think if they keep the characters "toyetic" then they'll have a good chance of seeing it through. I think this is the advantage of keeping it in the heroic mold and making it stretch across a variety of cultures. They can really pick and choose from tons of characters.

I think this contrasts to say, a line of Bible characters. I don't have too much interest in Biblical characters, putting aside my atheism. Part of that is just because they always make lousy figures. That Moses is well done, but I can't see taking him on some really cool heroic adventures. If there was some character in the heroic tradition with a cool bow and arrow set and blue skin I'd find that more attractive. :)

I was running down a list of possible characters they could do and there are a ton I'd love to see! I think an Oya would be very cool from a female standpoint. I've seen some really cool interpretations of her.

I'd be interested in a Horus :)

I do sort of wonder if it might have been good if they could have developed two figures at once. Horus would be a good second one. Plus, a lot of people are more familiar with/into Egyptian stuff. So having both there at the outset would be cool, though I understand why they didn't. I'm sure getting just as far as they have has been some time/money commitment.

They've revealed the identity of some of the planned upcoming figures, and are offering a people a chance to vote on the next figure. More reveals coming Sunday.

Quetzalcoatl- Air/sun god of the Aztec's, possibly based on a real hero and ruler.
image-136248-full.jpg

Sinbad the sailor- Adventurer of Middle Eastern verbal tradition stories, first captured in The Book of One Thousand and One (Arabian) Nights.
image-136249-full.jpg

Maui- Polynesian hero, mythological 'creator' of the Hawaiian Islands.
image-136250-full.jpg

Shango- African Yoruba God of fire, lightning and thunder. Historical King of Oyo.
image-136251-full.jpg

New update with more possible heroes:

Horus- Ancient Egyptian, Falcon-headed Sky God.
image-138572-full.jpg

Guan-Yu- Taoist god of war, from the Chinese 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms'.
image-138573-full.jpg

Cuchulainn- Celtic hero and self-proclaimed 'Hound of Cullan'.
image-138574-full.jpg

Okuninushi- Japanese Shinto God of medicine and magic.
image-138575-full.jpg

We've had a lot of requests to see something of the female body beyond Sita. We're working on two more characters from Greek mythology and will share them sometime in the near future.

I'm really like all of those guys... Okuninushi a bit less so, but I'd take him. The others are really strong visually.

These look really cool and unique, but it looks like they're pretty far off from goal. Hope they can pick up steam or get a major backer, I love seeing new toy creators on the rise.

It's a cool project but sadly they will never raised the needed funds judging by how far off they still are.

I mean it is a fantastic concept and one I will be in for especially if they make Hang Tuah and the gang (a group of five Malaysian folk hero/warrior)

Sadly, most people today have been heavily westernized and can only relate to heroes like Iron Man and Batman and not so much on their own cultural heroes.

I'm not convinced it's impossible, yet. I might just be overly optimistic. I think it'll be close, but I think if word spreads enough (probably outside action figure fan communities) they could do it. Just gotta get the snowball rolling a bit faster. :) I've seen stuff funded at this level before.

Beyond just thinking they are cool looking, I really do believe in the idea behind it. I think it's a great project and a great thing to try to get into kid's hands.

My votes would be Cuchulain or Horus - I'm surprised that Horus isn't doing better in the poll.

There was another company that tried this a couple of years ago. I think they got out a couple of Indian gods and then nothing more was heard from them.

I'm not convinced it's impossible, yet. I might just be overly optimistic. I think it'll be close, but I think if word spreads enough (probably outside action figure fan communities) they could do it. Just gotta get the snowball rolling a bit faster. :) I've seen stuff funded at this level before.

Beyond just thinking they are cool looking, I really do believe in the idea behind it. I think it's a great project and a great thing to try to get into kid's hands.

I'm wondering if they couldn't partner with a larger manufacturer. From what they say in the video they've been around the block in the industry seems like they could get someone to help them get running.

Cool idea, but I'd rather customize my own. I may get around to making a couple of them in 12". Rama and Hanaman would be fun bashes.

Female concepts!

image-140829-full.jpg

image-140831-full.jpg

image-140833-full.jpg

image-140844-full.jpg

Woooo hoooo! Glad I got a couple more people on board. :) Every little bit helps. Still hoping for some last minute big spenders to come on board. :)

Here's another update with more females. Bestat looks awesome!

image-140885-full.jpg

image-140886-full.jpg

image-140887-full.jpg

And a map full of the characters and where they come from:

image-140896-full.jpg

Last edited:
Back