Cheap sculpting tools

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiethepainter

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought I would share an idea on how the make cheap loop tools for sculpting. They can pretty pricey for the small ones and its a real simple process.

I like using old paint brush handles. They are often colored so it makes it easy to recognize the right tool. I have also used dowels.

All you need is some piano wire, small drill bit, super glue and a handle of some sort.

Paint brush handles are already tapered but if you are using dowels, I run them in a pencil sharpener to get the taper first.

Drill small hole in the end about 1/2"-3/4" deep.

Take the paino wire and bend it into the shape you require. Note it must be piano wire or some kind of tempered hard wire. Spool wire is not strong enough to keep the shape. I am going to experiment some time on using braided cable wire but I have not done it at this time. Also get the smallest diameter you can find. Makes for a better cutter working with clay.

Insert the bent shape into the handle and glue in place. There you have a real cheap version of micro loop tools.

$35.00
30309-1009-3ww-l.jpg

$2.00
2012-07-08_14-12-48_233.jpg

2012-07-08_14-12-56_345.jpg

Man, nice tip, may try this.
You should post this idea around on some of the instruction websites. :clap

Back