Removing paint from older sideshow heads?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASTRO13ZOMBIE

Super Freak
Reaction score
What would be the best way to go about removing paint from older sideshow headsculpts?
Google searching is doing nothing but pulling up mixed opinions on the matter.:lol

Guy 1:"Acetone won't bother the vinyl"

Guy 2:"Acetone will destroy vinyl! don't do it!"

:gah:

Acetone?
Paint thinner?
Nail polish remover?
???

Last edited:
Acetone = nailpolish remover = fine!

I use acetone on a rag for the bulk of it, then a Q-tip soaked in it for the crannies.
Probably the naysayers mean soaking the head, but you don't need to do that. It can't harm the vinyl with the brief contact you get with a rag.

Just be careful that you know for sure what the sculpt is made from underneath the paint. Most of the older Sideshow heads are solid vinyl and acetone will do the trick no problem, but a small portion were made from resin and acetone will melt those.

Thanks alot for the replies,Guys
Much appreciated!

Duck of death,
The specific head that I'm using and wanting to strip is the son of frankenstein HS.
It's vinyl.......I think.
*self doubt*

Speaking of that frankenstein.
Id also like to strip and repaint his armsculpts.
You know...the one's with now wrist joints?
They seem rather soft/bendy.
Do you think it would be safe to use acetone on them?

Thank you
-Astro

Having stripped two dozen or more SSC heads.

While it true the acetone will not generally harm vinyl, I found it will deteriorate softer grade vinyl that SSC occasionally employs. I ruined a Willow (her hair) and Indiana Jones head (the brim of the hat) with acetone alone. It can also cause peeling at the seams where the moulds joined (especially the 'knots') - that happened with Admiral Piett.

Also some older Sideshow paint is amazingly resistant to acetone. Lacquer (a.k.a. cellulose) thinner, which is acetone plus a bunch of other related chemicals, is much better for stripping older SSC heads. But that stuff is bloody awful, wear a mask, goggles and proper gloves (acetone and lacquer thinner will dissolve or soak though latex or nitrile). I like using nitrile gloves for most projects, so I just put clear plastic bags over my hands when using lacquer thinner, works perfectly.

Also oven cleaner, which reliably strips oil, acrylic or enamel off of resin, does not even make a dent in SSC factory paint. So don't bother.

Hope that helps.

What type of acetone are we talking about? The nail polish remover shouldnt damage the vinyl, but the pure acetone, the type you buy at Home Depot, can destroy the sculpt. It melts plastics. Great for smoothing plastic things, better than sand paper imo, but you have to very careful.

Go buy some testors easy lift of or elo! I cant get it here in Canada so I use super clean from walmart. Soak it over night and take a tooth brush to it when u wake up!

Google searching is doing nothing but pulling up mixed opinions on the matter.:lol

Guy 1:"Acetone won't bother the vinyl"

Guy 2:"Acetone will destroy vinyl! don't do it!"
???

Yeah, screw Google--if you want universal, unequivocal opinion on this stuff, ask SSF! :lol

Last edited:
Back