OT: THE DESCENT

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
If you're a horror fan you owe it to yourself to see this film. I've never been on the edge of my seat tense in any film in recent memory. So much better than the cruelty-oriented gore fests of Saw or Hostel.

And this was the same guy who directed Dog Soldiers.

Thats good to hear Dave. I for one loved Dog Soliders and am really looking forward to seeing this!!

Yep a great Brit Film,been out a year or so over here.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

And of course Dog Soldiers is the NUTS!

Roll on Dog Soldiers 2:Fresh Meat!

The Descent is MUCH better than Dog Soldiers.

I saw it on DVD about a year ago.

Classic and VERY intense. I had no idea what it was about and was very surprised how great it was.

Best horror movie in a long time.

Great film. Saw it last year also. Better then Dog Soldiers?? Well I Love me the werewolf movies so I give the edge to Dog Soldiers. But The Descent is far more intense.

I saw it and LOVED it. I was reading that there is a different ending in the version released here in teh states. Can anyone tell me what the original ending was (via PM or noted so no one is spoiled).

Thanks

I've heard many good things, but I'm waiting for the DVD so I can see the real ending.

Glad to hear people like it, I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but its been on the list! And, Dog Soldiers was the business! Very unexpectedly cool movie!!!

Took my girlfriend to see it and we both loved it - the Asian-ish looking gal kicked serious ass, which was great - fun movie.

I am now playing the equally fun "Dead Rising' demo on my 360 - not original, but a hoot with all the stuff you can pick up at the mall.

AmanaMatt said:
Took my girlfriend to see it and we both loved it - the Asian-ish looking gal kicked serious ass, which was great - fun movie.

I am now playing the equally fun "Dead Rising' demo on my 360 - not original, but a hoot with all the stuff you can pick up at the mall.

Oh man... What I would gice to have an Xbox 360... just to have that game.. I looooove zombie games.... :D

I really want to see the Descent. My brother saw it this weekend and said it was the scariest thing he's seen in years! :horror

I didn't care too much for Dog Soldiers, but The Descent is a f'ing awesome movie. GO SEE IT!

The original ending is on youtube. Can't say that I really prefer it over the truncated version we got.

Didn't like it either. An hour of actual rock climbing (yawn) followed by an hour long chase. Like the premise, wouldn't ever see it again. Will forget about it in a...wait, what movie were we talking about?

Dog Soldiers rocks. The upcoming sequel is by someone else, right?

I seriously cant wait for this. Looks so good and I've heard nothing but rave reviews and one of the best horror movies in a loooong time.

:chew

It's a great movie - came out over here in 2004 (Cinema release) and was very well received.

Neil Marshall is developing a bit of a name for himself as the 'go to' guy but he prefers to co-write his own stuff.

His next movie is a Zombie flick set on an Oil Rig.

Should be good - I'm trying to get a bit of access to him for an interview and will let you know how it goes.

Yep, an extremely good horror flick, one of the best in recent memory.

Dog Soldiers is an excellent movie as well, especially for the budget. That was key there, being Marshall's first major work. I have no real hope for DS 2 though, since he has no involvement as far as I've seen.

I prefer the UK ending, but the US version wasn't bad.

I actually saw this during Comic-con (special advance screening dealo) and though I liked the premise (and the fact that for once the women were the ones kicking arse instead of being helpless) I came away feeling OK about it. Some of the effects needed some work, some of the ideas in the film reminded a lot of the horrible movie "The Cave" and the ending was sooooo cliche...so, SO cliche.

I will give the movie credit though for a few things...

1. I never had the desire to go cave dwelling and this film re-enforced that (I'm not a fan of tight, small spaces...and dark).

2. I was jumping a few times. Most films have too much build-up and you can see the 'jump' scene coming a mile away but this film didn't have those annoying build0ups as much.

The film had problems but still kept my interest (especially the second half...the first half the film had a little to much build-up). I'm interested to see what the original ending was.

CAhobbit said:
I actually saw this during Comic-con (special advance screening dealo) and though I liked the premise (and the fact that for once the women were the ones kicking arse instead of being helpless) I came away feeling OK about it. Some of the effects needed some work, some of the ideas in the film reminded a lot of the horrible movie "The Cave" and the ending was sooooo cliche...so, SO cliche.

I'll ignore that you compared this film to The Cave, a film I think it has about as much in common with as it does with Toy Story.

I thought the effects were extremely well done, especially considering budget. The cave work was fantastic, and gave a true claustrophobic feel at all times.

The ending was actually pretty good I think - but you saw the U.S. version. The original ending adds another minute or so, and leaves the film in a very, very different place. I prefer the original ending. It's on YouTube if you're interested.

CAhobbit said:
I will give the movie credit though for a few things...

1. I never had the desire to go cave dwelling and this film re-enforced that (I'm not a fan of tight, small spaces...and dark).

2. I was jumping a few times. Most films have too much build-up and you can see the 'jump' scene coming a mile away but this film didn't have those annoying build0ups as much.

The film had problems but still kept my interest (especially the second half...the first half the film had a little to much build-up). I'm interested to see what the original ending was.

Michael Crawford said:
I'll ignore that you compared this film to The Cave, a film I think it has about as much in common with as it does with Toy Story.

The 'villians' of the movie of "The Cave" (which was not even on par with the actual execution of said 'villians' in "The Descent" had..."The Descent" was far better) seemed very similar to me. What the creatures were and now are etc... Hey I thought "The Cave" was a terrible film but I couldn't deny a similarity between both films.

As for the effects...some were good but there were occasions (especially near the end) where they brought me right out of the film.

Back