How do I get that perfect finish??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle71090

Freakzoid
Reaction score
As anyone here who visits the customs section knows, we have quite the collection of custom-creation geniuses here. I have never really considered customizing one of my figures, until now. It's not much, but I was wondering if any of you talented SSFreaks out there will be able to answer this for me. So here it is:

I need some ideas for products or methods that will give some of my figures (primarily 1/6 Predator and 1/6 Alien figures) that perfect glossy/watery/moist finish to their skin. A perfect example of this would be the 1/6 HT Wolf Predator figure. Being an older figure, the paint apps for his skin are rather flat and boring imo. How do you guys suggest I give this figure's skin a more wet/moist look to it to make it more accurate and more down-right terrifying.

I've had one of my friends suggest nail polish gloss, but I have no idea the short-term or long-term effects that is going to have on any of my figures... :dunno

So, I'm reaching out to you guys.

Lend thy suggestions!!! hahaha

try a gloss paint sealer... it comes in a spray can, but use a brush and lightly dab.

I saw the tread title and was gonna tell ya to take it nice and slow. . .then I realized you where talking about customizing your figs :monkey3 :lol

@automaton, thx for the tip. Do you have any experience using that? If so, what did you use it on, and how pleased were you with the results?

@JD18, hahaha very funny! Fortunately I do not need any advise in that category, but thx anyway ;)

after painting a sculpt, i use a touch of Krylon UV resistant clear sealer. i apply it with a brush and then blot with my finger so the result isn't too shiny. a little Future floor wax also does a great job on the eyes and simulating sweat.

A word about nail polish--it's acetone based, and messes up the acrylic paint underneath...dissolves it. Noooooooo

on the statueforum, people use an acrylic floor wax for that shiny look. i can't remember what the name is. i think it's like future floor wax or something like that. the nice thing is that the more layers you put on the more glossy it looks so it depends on how shiny you want it

Back