Hot Toys Custom Tumbler

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r5150s

Super Freak
Reaction score
got this from jokes-on-you and started modding it as soon as I got it..

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4457384&postcount=1035
mods..

repainted bd style
added :

sway bar in the front end
brake lines / braided hose
brake caliper in front
steering rod / sterring knuckle articulation
painted front wheels semi gloss
scored front windshield to look like two piece
wire loom taped inside cockpit and tucked neatly
exhaust on roof modded
rear shock springs painted / replaced plastic lines with braided hose
added some engine parts / hoses in the rear
rear wheel axle shortened to tuck the wheel / flush with the body
drill holes on rear ( marked but no holes )
rear wing articulated arm repositioned
rear exhaust modded

more possible mods getting added :

interior LED's
lit up rear exhaust
repainted interior
tint the windows

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg
IMG_3319.jpg
IMG_3299.jpg
IMG_3295.jpg
IMG_3274.jpg
IMG_3266.jpg
IMG_3275.jpg
IMG_3307.jpg
IMG_3284.jpg

Nice work! Besides the smokey dark grey (not black) look and excellent "paint rub/scratch/battle damage" on every hard edge, which really adds to the realism, I especially like the thinned out exhaust tubes on the roof.

Where are--
drill holes on rear ( marked but no holes )
? I couldn't notice the marked off holes in any pictures.

The brake lines on the front wheels and extra detail there is amazing too. If you really want to take it to the next level though of accuracy, you've got to take off those wheels and dremel the spoke holes in them.

One piece of constructive criticism. It's great that you repainted the lip of the rear rims black to correct HT's manufacturing mistake, but overall, those rear wheels look way too pristine on your Tumbler. They're too clean on the unmodified HT Tumbler too, but they don't look that out of place there because the whole body is clean. Give those tires a light dusting to dirty them up a bit and match the grit of the rest of your model.

All in all, you've got an amazing eye for detail and this is great work!!

:clap:clap:clap

Stunning. I'd agree with DarkMagic, dirtying up the wheels should be next on your agenda to match that incredible new paintjob on the rest of it.

I'd say this will make a few Bat-fans jealous, its even somewhat had that effect on me as a more casual fan.

thanks for the comments guys :) the rear wheels are planned..just not sure yet what method I will use..I tried rubbing it with alcohol to dull the tires but that did not effect it at all and since part of the tires are plastic..I might end up spraying it dirt color...

dark magic..thanks again for the tip on how to pop those wheels..

I would love to the wheel spokes but my dremel is on the fritz..need to get a new one and really do a good measurement to carve out the nine holes on it...

there are still a few things that wasn't on my list of things to do like put mesh screens on the sides where the single lights are and on the side intakes..I already have the radiators and lines that I can put in there for more realism..

how's your project going by the way ?

thanks for the comments guys :) the rear wheels are planned..just not sure yet what method I will use..I tried rubbing it with alcohol to dull the tires but that did not effect it at all and since part of the tires are plastic..I might end up spraying it dirt color...

dark magic..thanks again for the tip on how to pop those wheels..

I would love to the wheel spokes but my dremel is on the fritz..need to get a new one and really do a good measurement to carve out the nine holes on it...

there are still a few things that wasn't on my list of things to do like put mesh screens on the sides where the single lights are and on the side intakes..I already have the radiators and lines that I can put in there for more realism..

how's your project going by the way ?

Glad to help.

Six 100ml cans of Tamiya TS-46 (Light Sand) spray paint arrived at my doorstep this week. :yess: I've got more than enough to get back to work on it. Will update my thread soon.

:hi5:congrats bro thanks for everything looks great buddy i like the grey look it looks like a dusty/dirty flat black from the road grime love it glad your happy bro

more pics..more mods..

rear details..
IMG_3352.jpg
IMG_3353.jpg

front details..
IMG_3347.jpg

side ducts has been opened...left detail
IMG_3376.jpg

right side
IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg
IMG_3375.jpg
IMG_3362.jpg

Awesome work. That looks like the real deal. Whats your background? Are you a artist? How tough is it to re spray one of these.
There is a tumbler here for sale where I live going for cheep because there is a scratch on. Just wondering whats the process in painting one of these.

Awesome work. That looks like the real deal. Whats your background? Are you a artist? How tough is it to re spray one of these.
There is a tumbler here for sale where I live going for cheep because there is a scratch on. Just wondering whats the process in painting one of these.

hello :wave I guess I'm an artist :rotfl just been doing this for a while..I do build a lot of models but I've always wanted to have this and mod it a few years ago but I missed the opportunity of getting one..my grail..

how cheap is the tumbler you're talking about ? maybe it's worth buying it, send it to me for respray and send it back to you :wink1: as far as the painting process..had to disassemble a few parts but since I went all the way..I had it completely taken apart...took me four days from start to finish but I think I'm not done yet :lol

Rob

hello :wave I guess I'm an artist :rotfl just been doing this for a while..I do build a lot of models but I've always wanted to have this and mod it a few years ago but I missed the opportunity of getting one..my grail..

how cheap is the tumbler you're talking about ? maybe it's worth buying it, send it to me for respray and send it back to you :wink1: as far as the painting process..had to disassemble a few parts but since I went all the way..I had it completely taken apart...took me four days from start to finish but I think I'm not done yet :lol

Rob

He's askin $375 for it. It has a scratch on the left side. Could be taking care of with some paint.

wow ! great price, wish I can buy it here from somebody so I can do my own camo version :)

Rob

You can get the re-issue for not too much more than that (and a lot less than it was going for on eBay).

I love the braided lines in the back and the cut out and meshed over side intakes with details inside. Looks like there is some stubborn green paint left in a light or two, good luck getting it off. Damn, this really makes my unmodified Tumbler look that much more like a toy. Looking at photos of the real car though, even that one looks too unscathed, yours has the scratches, grit, look and feel you would expect from a vehicle that is used night after night in urban combat.

Check out this site I posted here a while ago. It's the professional movie modelers that did one of the Batmobile sequences in The Dark Knight. Sorry, I can't link directly to the TDK section, but you will find it easily enough. Maybe you'll see something that will inspire some new detail in yours.

wow ! thanks for that link..I've seen some pics of the 1/3 scale tumbler but it's so awesome to see them working on it..it's true the model they used is not all that scratched up but I based my tumbler on pics that I found on flicker..there are some green paint on the led's that seeped on the side of the lights itself..maybe I'll take those apart one of these days...

I really love this version...I think the ones on tour now has been painted or maybe one of the few they made for the movie

2680957266_7a86c5a31b_b.jpg
2680834828_38e959dfff_b.jpg
2680796414_b7ab66e402_b.jpg
2680791824_9f01cf74ff_b.jpg
2680772290_c7751d1372_b.jpg
2679971867_13f886a262_b.jpg
2679971053_60851f8573_b.jpg
2679953757_eb55448c93_b.jpg

the Hot Toys version is really nice enough but there's a lot of flaws if you really look at it and compare to the real thing..I'm just glad they made it in 1/6 scale...

Last edited:
nothing beat the real deal and i feel horrible that i missed out on the tumbler/batpod tour here in montreal

Back