Toyline Retrospective: DC Direct Cover Girls of the DCU Statue Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi Folks:

On Episode 18 of the Action Figure Blues Podcast we're going to be doing our first "Toyline Retrospective" as our Discussion Topic.

We're going to be looking back at DC Direct's long-running statue series, the Cover Girls of the DC Universe, based on designs by Adam Hughes.

So, whether you own any of these pieces or have simply admired them from afar, we'd love your feedback. What are your favourites and least favourites in the line? What did you like / loathe about these pieces? What characters do you think deserved a spot in the line that never appeared?

As always, your feedback may actually appear in the episode, so thanks for your time!

I own the Catwoman, Batgirl and Harley Quinn. They're all amazing. The paint job on my Batgirl is a little weird, her bat symbol is really uneven on one side, which is disappointing but other than that... they are really well done pieces. I would've liked to have seen a Huntress at some point, or Talia Al Ghul. We may get them now at some point, but the designs of the new statues seem to have taken a drive off a cliff so we'll see....

I own Power Girl, Catwoman, and Hawkgirl. To me Adam Hughes and Catwoman are peanut butter and jelly and I thought that statue followed suit, so that is my favorite. The thing that might detract on these pieces in some cases was the spotty DC Direct paint but I thought the sculpting was great. Personally I would've like to seen an Ice statue from Adam's drawings.

I have Starfire and Raven in this series and I love 'em both, but I have nowhere to display them 'cause my cats would likely knock them onto the floor. They are nice to get out and check out now and again...!

I bought Harley on a whim and she was my gateway statue. :lol I passed on the original WW and Black Canary, but I have the rest through Hawkgirl. I've moved onto other lines and have a couple PF's now, but I'm still really glad I have these in my collection.

Back