Older Reel Toys 12" Crow - any info?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Been looking for a Brandon Lee Crow figure. Was thinking about the hard plastic version by McFarlane. However, someone told me there is an older cloth outfit version by Reel Toys. Can anyone give me some info on this version? Articulation, accessories, sculpting, etc? Any info would be appreciated.

Shai Hulud said:

Sorry, but could you go into some detail? If you do not like the figure, could you give me some reasons why? Any links to pictures or articles on the net? Any alternatives?

There is a review of the figure over at Michael Crawford's site. Unfortunately I couldnt locate it with a quick search,but you might be able to with some persistence. But anyway, from what I remember it was an okay 1/6 for the time, but had a pretty badly done headsculpt, and overall by todays standards it would be pretty sub-par.

It's not a bad figure at all, great costuming - I bought 4-5 of them when I was selling custom Spikes (before SSC ruined my operation).

The body was a bit loose and the talking feature was a bit cheesy and killed some of the articulation. But if you like the character you would do well to seek it out.

I remember it was an older review... at one point I was just starting with the oldest review and working my way up and I came across it... unfortunately I have no idea where in the body of the reviews it is, but I know it was a few years old.

Ah ha! I realized finally why I couldn't find it... it was actually posted on the poopshoot website! Here is the review. Like I said earlier, at least on this figure, the headsculpt looks pretty terrible :monkey2

I think it was a reel scan... but in the review I think it was suggested that (being a hollow head) when it was pulled of the molds it got distorted, but yeah its pretty f'n terrible looking :lol

I actually watched this movie the other day for the first time in many years... and I have to say its pretty bad. I remember it being cheesey when if first came out, but it was a pretty unpleasant late-night watch 10+years later. Definitely not a movie worth dying over:monkey3

**ducks and covers after insensitive remark**

the Best likeness I've found Besides the NECA Crow figures was on the 12" vinyl kit of him pointing. The sculpt looked just like Brandon even before painting. I had a friend recast the head for me and made mine. I did pic up the reel toys figure and used the trench coat but other than that the reel toys version is real crap.
crow.jpg

figs4.jpg

galactiboy said:
I think it was a reel scan... but in the review I think it was suggested that (being a hollow head) when it was pulled of the molds it got distorted, but yeah its pretty f'n terrible looking :lol

I actually watched this movie the other day for the first time in many years... and I have to say its pretty bad. I remember it being cheesey when if first came out, but it was a pretty unpleasant late-night watch 10+years later. Definitely not a movie worth dying over:monkey3

**ducks and covers after insensitive remark**

While I would agree that NO movie is worth dying over, this is, and would, an amazing movie... even if it wasn't tied into the sentimentality of that tragic accident. Not sure if its because I have read and enjoyed all the actual Crow works, or if its because I was always a fan of Brandon's short film career. The crow is moody, tragic (material, not real-life), and distinctly shot. Putting Alex Proyas together with Lee was a stroke of genious - and apparently 28,000 people on IMDB would agree with me. Now, the sequels are another story :rolleyes: But no need to duck Galactiboy. This is America, where everyone is entitled to their own wrong, opinion.... :lol j/k

P.S. I have seen the movie a dozen times now... and I still get a cold shiver watching him dig out of that grave.. or at the end, where he explains to Sarah why he has to go. I know its just a tragic coincidence (and lets have none of that Bruce Lee curse crap) but it does epitamize Brandon's life.

P.S.S. Come on Sideshow, give us a proper Brandon Crow 12 incher :monkey3

wow. somebody sent that sculptor ref pics of the wrassler Sting rather than Brandon.
still LOVE that movie.

the best Brandon Lee Crow likeness ever is currently in progress.
1:1 by Howard Studios

Crow1.jpg

occulum said:
wow. somebody sent that sculptor ref pics of the wrassler Sting rather than Brandon.
still LOVE that movie.

the best Brandon Lee Crow likeness ever is currently in progress.
1:1 by Howard Studios

Crow1.jpg

Thats freakin awesome...I would love to have that in my collection. By far the beat likeness of Lee I have ever seen!

DouglasMcc said:
While I would agree that NO movie is worth dying over, this is, and would, an amazing movie... even if it wasn't tied into the sentimentality of that tragic accident. Not sure if its because I have read and enjoyed all the actual Crow works, or if its because I was always a fan of Brandon's short film career. The crow is moody, tragic (material, not real-life), and distinctly shot. Putting Alex Proyas together with Lee was a stroke of genious - and apparently 28,000 people on IMDB would agree with me. Now, the sequels are another story :rolleyes: But no need to duck Galactiboy. This is America, where everyone is entitled to their own wrong, opinion.... :lol j/k

P.S. I have seen the movie a dozen times now... and I still get a cold shiver watching him dig out of that grave.. or at the end, where he explains to Sarah why he has to go. I know its just a tragic coincidence (and lets have none of that Bruce Lee curse crap) but it does epitamize Brandon's life.

P.S.S. Come on Sideshow, give us a proper Brandon Crow 12 incher :monkey3

i agree wholeheartedly. loved O'Barr's comics and this movie!!

Absolutely. I was blown away when I first saw the Crow, and am still.
Great film.

Here is what I did with that old 1/6 Vinyl kit that came out in the 90's. This was the one that was pointing off to the right for no good reason. I repositioned his head and hair, lowered his arm and added the bird.

I've been giving thought to transfering this head to my 12" Reel Toys Crow figure and add real hair.

Crow001.jpg

Crow002.jpg

That reel toys one has a great coat at any rate!

Yeah i saw it on tv a few weeks ago and was surprised how well i still holds up.

First Crow movie: Absolutely fantastic - a classic in my opinion.

All other Crow movies: Mighty bad indeed.

JS

BTW - THIS is the exact face I'd love to have on a 1/4 scale Crow statue or PF figure:

Crow1.jpg

Absolutely stunningly fantastic.

JS

Back