PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

FLOSI
07-13-2012, 10:38 AM
i wonder if he & boba will be roughly the same price.

I wonder if you're going to buy me that life sized Vader just for being your friend? :wave:1-1::pray:

barryo
07-13-2012, 10:41 AM
I wonder if you're going to buy me that life sized Vader just for being your friend? :wave:1-1::pray:

how bout i just send you my chewbacca instead?

FLOSI
07-13-2012, 10:45 AM
how bout i just send you my chewbacca instead?

You put too much work into that... Just buy me Vader. :clap

gibby
07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
I thought barryo would just show up to flosi's door wearing the vader suit...or maybe a birthday suit. :monkey1

FLOSI
07-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought barryo would just show up to flosi's door wearing the vader suit...or maybe a birthday suit. :monkey1

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg822/scaled.php?server=822&filename=aiba2xface.gif&res=landing

barryo
07-13-2012, 10:49 AM
You put too much work into that... Just buy me Vader. :clap
okay, chewy it is.........:hi5:

:lightsabe...............:horror

:lol

FLOSI
07-13-2012, 10:50 AM
okay, chewy it is.........:hi5:

:lightsabe...............:horror

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq62/Loathing69/double%20take/1246399148162.gif

gibby
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
:lol:lol:lol

gotta have a little friday humor.

shockwave
07-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi Folks,

This is my 1000 post and I was going to post when I received my SSC Fett (it hasn't arrived yet, next week :monkey1)

But I have to chime in too please.

Helment small
Chest armor small
Cape? (what the heck?)
The cape chain looks odd
As for the mask, to my eyes it still look like their previous Vader?

I hope SSC had to rush to display the figure, and add pieces of the ANH Vader to the prototype body? :dunno

Hopefully there will be more teaser (professional lighting and stuff) shots of Vader from the SSC site.

Sorry to ramble but I hope the official prototype figure will be spectacular. :pray:

OSCORP
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
SSC bringin their A game to Comic-Con

:rotfl

devilof76
07-13-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm glad to someone is enjoying it.

Glennfett
07-13-2012, 07:35 PM
No reveal sculpt pics from the con yet :(

Cmon Sideshow!!!

barryo
07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKrm-3LdquJpSC0NfJe-VPVhFem-c-Bcmf-nxHVlGXAvOAEIurJ_pvGMWR

perhaps a cardboard cutout of something like this would have been more pleasing......:lol

Maglor
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
The whole face/helmet part looks identical to the ANH version, including the long bit at the front of the neck that makes it so hard to tilt the head forward.
This certainly looks like a cobbled together figure and not the prototype.
Will wait for final production pics before passing judgement, but this does not look like an "ultimate" figure to me. Yet.

Always hated that.

shocktrooper_au
07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
I can see a differerance between this and the ANH, though it does look like a mock up and not the finished prototype, the dome mmmmm..... ROTJ & ESB should be smaller then ANH but needs revision well at least I've a spare from the ANH version if this doen't turn out

Batty
07-13-2012, 08:47 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKrm-3LdquJpSC0NfJe-VPVhFem-c-Bcmf-nxHVlGXAvOAEIurJ_pvGMWR

perhaps a cardboard cutout of something like this would have been more pleasing......:lol

He's too white. :lecture

galactiboy
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Good eye Batty, we can always count on your expert analysis :lecture

barryo
07-13-2012, 09:03 PM

that's anti-racist !!!!!!!!!!!!

wait...............what???

Matt S
07-13-2012, 10:03 PM
LOL............

cokebabies
07-14-2012, 02:48 AM

I think you should wait for better pictures before nitpicking.

DrQ2
07-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Has anyone seen if the helmet comes off and we get a face?

Rzeznikk
07-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Has anyone seen if the helmet comes off and we get a face?

Yes, it does.

shockwave
07-14-2012, 09:10 AM
This was on twitter page I believe. Life size Vader but if SSC 1/6 scale could look like this, maybe....:monkey3

http://instagram.com/p/NBvxWRtny5/

Darth Waller
07-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Lots of hate in this thread.

http://thinkwingradio.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/emperor-palpatine.jpg

"Good. Good."

Darth Madden
07-14-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't give a rats ass about all the tiny little stupid continuity things wrong with it. It looks like a kick butt Darth Vader to me. I'm so glad I'm not a nit picker.

Khev
07-14-2012, 12:55 PM
I agree. From the second I saw the first SDCC pic to now I think it's a hell of a Vader figure and like Fett will be the best ESB Vader ever made. Can't wait.

Rzeznikk
07-14-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't give a rats ass about all the tiny little stupid continuity things wrong with it. It looks like a kick butt Darth Vader to me. I'm so glad I'm not a nit picker.

Me too. Im glad Im easily pleased with figures. I mean, they cant look like Hasbro stuff, but these recent SS SW additions and HT are more than acceptable for me.

Wor-Gar
07-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Lots of hate in this thread.

http://thinkwingradio.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/emperor-palpatine.jpg

"Good. Good."

I don't hate this Vader. I'm just not impressed. There is a difference.

Khev
07-14-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't hate this Vader. I'm just not impressed.

WOR-GAR HATES THIS VADER! WOR-GAR HATES THIS VADER!!

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/Sutherland-body-snatcher.jpg

Wor-Gar
07-14-2012, 01:26 PM
WOR-GAR HATES THIS VADER! WOR-GAR HATES THIS VADER!!

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/Sutherland-body-snatcher.jpg

That pic is always funny!

Lordscum
07-14-2012, 01:33 PM
So far I'm not impressed either.

Too Much Garlic
07-14-2012, 01:59 PM
I guess some people just care more about what they throw their money after.

highlander1
07-14-2012, 02:14 PM
After finally getting the 1st sideshow Vader im pretty happy with it...I haven't seen enough difference except removable helmet to really be hyped up about...I'm defnitley picking up just hoping his size hasn't changed much ...I love 1st versions size and makes him truly a scary enemy compared to luke and others.....

Khev
07-14-2012, 02:22 PM

That pic is always funny!

I know and ever since you used it on me that one time I can't help but associate it with you. :lol

Rzeznikk
07-14-2012, 02:37 PM

There is a fine line between caring about quality of what we pay for versus complete ____ retentive nutsness.

Darth Madden
07-14-2012, 02:48 PM
There is a fine line between caring about quality of what we pay for versus complete ____ retentive nutsness.

Exactly.

Vaders helmet blue or chest box on his back or one arm 2x longer than the other = Not Buy.

There is a 1/8" difference in distance between armor plates or paint isn't black enough or boots are wrong design or switch on chest box should be oposite direction = who cares

swsqueakquels
07-14-2012, 03:24 PM
After finally getting the 1st sideshow Vader im pretty happy with it...I haven't seen enough difference except removable helmet to really be hyped up about...I'm defnitley picking up just hoping his size hasn't changed much ...I love 1st versions size and makes him truly a scary enemy compared to luke and others.....

I still laugh at the unaltered SSC vs. Medicom comparison pics. Dad and ten year old Vader heading out to the game.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_1luLRXKoJM8/SmqAgt1lcpI/AAAAAAAAZwQ/gvx8_OD0RbQ/sideshow%20medicom.jpg

I totally love the new ESB/ROTJ Vader though. It's obvious if people have already got a Vader that they will dig through the new version to see if it's worth buying.

But he's also a character, like Fett, that people agonize over the minutest details of. So I can understand people's frustration, and I also think SSC needs to 100% deliver on these characters. I don't think many people mind if Bossk's intricate outfit has a few inaccuracies, but Vader - another story...

What is clear is it's NOT the final figure, so we shouldn't judge too harshly. I'm just really glad to have a shot at an ESB Vader to put a couple of snowies next to!

highlander1
07-14-2012, 03:37 PM
yep thought about picking up medicom vader until saw his size ...I know thier 2.0 version is bigger but sticking with sideshow vader......

Wor-Gar
07-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I know thier 2.0 version is bigger but sticking with sideshow vader......

Not bigger... just longer legs. Looks strange.

I have the ANH Vader. All I need is the chest box and gloves and I could basically covert mine to a ESB Vader. No need for a second.

But I'm hoping I'll be more sold when they show the reveal helmet and sculpt. I thought that would happen here at the show.

I'm going to be very picky about another Vader -- besides the first SS offering I also have a Huricane ESB Vader... so having three Vaders doesn't appeal to me.

shockwave
07-14-2012, 04:42 PM
I saw pics of this statue Vader from SDCC I believe. I think the dome could be lowered a bit :monkey1 but the mask is a major winner.

Black Magic
07-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Exactly.

Vaders helmet blue or chest box on his back or one arm 2x longer than the other = Not Buy.

There is a 1/8" difference in distance between armor plates or paint isn't black enough or boots are wrong design or switch on chest box should be oposite direction = who cares

I do. These days, Sideshow is asking top dollar for their stuff, so I expect top quality. "Close enough" is only good enough when the price reflects the fact. Let's not forget what we're talking about here. This is not some obscure background character, this is Darth ****ing Vader. There is an enormous amount of reference material out there, and a number of people out there who are incredibly familiar with every aspect of Darth Vader's costume, so the final 1/6 product should reflect that. Do a 3D scan of original props, then there is no question the proportions are right. Hot Toy's exclusive item for Bespin Luke, the Vader head looks exponentially better than this, and it's half of a head. Why does this Vader look the way it does? Because people bought the ANH version, even with it's shortcomings, and because the Higher-ups at Sideshow know people will be satisfied with the same crap this time.

Craig77
07-14-2012, 05:05 PM
I do. These days, Sideshow is asking top dollar for their stuff, so I expect top quality. "Close enough" is only good enough when the price reflects the fact. Let's not forget what we're talking about here. This is not some obscure background character, this is Darth ****ing Vader. There is an enormous amount of reference material out there, and a number of people out there who are incredibly familiar with every aspect of Darth Vader's costume, so the final 1/6 product should reflect that. Do a 3D scan of original props, then there is no question the proportions are right. Hot Toy's exclusive item for Bespin Luke, the Vader head looks exponentially better than this, and it's half of a head. Why does this Vader look the way it does? Because people bought the ANH version, even with it's shortcomings, and because the Higher-ups at Sideshow know people will be satisfied with the same crap this time.

:exactly::clap:clap:clap:goodpost:
this is exactly my frustration with SS, same thing I have been saying about Fett. These are Iconic figures that they need to deliver on. enough said.

swsqueakquels
07-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah, five years ago, SSC figures were $60 upgrades on $20 Hasbro figs.

That's not the story any more - you triple your prices, you have to triple your attention to detail and quality.

Five years ago, Boussh, with the exact same level of sculpt, complexity and accessories to Boba Fett, was 1/3 the price ($60 vs. $175.)

gibby
07-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the global economy. :wave

http://www.eca-international.com/_temp/article/7517/33234_129750054909900000/0/2_img_.png

Around a 48% combined increase in salaries since 2007, and this doesn't include the cost of materials or transportation.

shocktrooper_au
07-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Will have to start getting these made in the US soon

Yodacappy
07-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah, five years ago, SSC figures were $60 upgrades on $20 Hasbro figs.

That's not the story any more - you triple your prices, you have to triple your attention to detail and quality.

Five years ago, Boussh, with the exact same level of sculpt, complexity and accessories to Boba Fett, was 1/3 the price ($60 vs. $175.)

5 years ago, the dollar actually was worth a little something. Now, well, it's poop...

Khonsu70
07-14-2012, 07:03 PM

I don't hate this Vader. I'm just not impressed. There is a difference.

I have to agree. I wanted to be blown away by this figure, but so far feel kinda "meh' about it. It's HT Indy all over again.

Increase the helmet flare, make the shoulder armor slightly larger, and color correct the shoulder bells and then we'll be talking. But so far, this Vader is simply not enough enough of an improvement over my ANH Vader to get me excited. :dunno :(

swsqueakquels
07-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the global economy. :wave

http://www.eca-international.com/_temp/article/7517/33234_129750054909900000/0/2_img_.png

Around a 48% combined increase in salaries since 2007, and this doesn't include the cost of materials or transportation.

Am I not reading that graph correctly? It seems to be indicating salaries are the same level in 2007 and 2011 (when the graph ends) in China, and have dropped by a bit in the same period in the U.S.?

swsqueakquels
07-14-2012, 07:17 PM
5 years ago, the dollar actually was worth a little something. Now, well, it's poop...

In 2007, it cost US 13 cents to buy 1 Chinese Yuan/Renminbi (currency unit.)

In 2012, it costs US 15.5 cents to buy 1 Chinese Yuan/Renminbi.

Dig deeper to legitimize these SSC price increases, guys.

gibby
07-14-2012, 07:18 PM
It's salary increases, unfortunately.

Sad, isn't it? :(

swsqueakquels
07-14-2012, 07:24 PM
It's salary increases, unfortunately.

Sad, isn't it? :(

Not based on your graph... or am I reading that incorrectly?

Honestly, I think this is simply SSC attempting to "test the waters" in terms of falling into line with what Hot Toys has been able to charge. SSC has raised their game quite a bit in the past two years, and the difference between a Hot Toys non-human/armored figure and say SSC's Hammerhead or IG-88 is less than what it was. So the price difference narrows.

gibby
07-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Not based on your graph... or am I reading that incorrectly?

Honestly, I think this is simply SSC attempting to "test the waters" in terms of falling into line with what Hot Toys has been able to charge. SSC has raised their game quite a bit in the past two years, and the difference between a Hot Toys non-human/armored figure and say SSC's Hammerhead or IG-88 is less than what it was. So the price difference narrows.

You're reading incorrectly. It is solely increases, not actual salaries.

It's possible, but what I've read is that SSC is having difficulties finding production facilities to do the work correctly and to the standards everyone is expecting. Problem is, not only are these facilities not living up to their end, but they're charging more for it (as is all of China).

HT will have a leg up since they're in Asia, so I think most are hoping with this new "partnership", SSC can get similar access to the same facilities.

shocktrooper_au
07-14-2012, 07:43 PM
I work for a large retail company and we set up our own sourcing dept in China for the same reasons, someone on the ground to get the right price & quality

gibby
07-14-2012, 07:44 PM
From a forbes article in 2011, which paints a more dire scenario...

An average annual 14% rise in wages in the country during the past decade is likely to “maintain the same pace for the next 5-10 years,” Baizhu Chen said at a speech at the Shanghai Foreign Correspondents Club today. That means average labor costs paid by businesses in China could rise “three or four times” in the next decade, Chen said.

Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2011/03/18/china-faces-years-of-double-digit-wage-increases-currency-appreciation/)

shocktrooper_au
07-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Then another country, say India will step in a take Chinas place when they out price themselves

gibby
07-14-2012, 07:49 PM
It's coming at some point. China has slowly unloaded our debt over the past years.

Makes you wonder what country will be next. India is possible, but I'm thinking one of the countries in South America.

Darth Madden
07-14-2012, 08:15 PM

And thats fine. I am just glad I'm not in those shoes thats all. I realized a long time ago that there will NEVER be a 100% perfect mass market figure made by anybody for any character. All you can do is hope the "errors" are small enough to overlook.

abake
07-14-2012, 08:48 PM
So that's it?
No more pics? No insight from people who were at SDCC?
Oh well, hopefully we'll get to see official pics from Sideshow soon.

Matt S
07-14-2012, 09:02 PM
So that's it?
No more pics? No insight from people who were at SDCC?
Oh well, hopefully we'll get to see official pics from Sideshow soon.

I am kinda wondering that myself; is no one at the con gathering Intel? LOL, either this year has sucked or its a conspiracy! :horror

Creighton
07-14-2012, 09:12 PM
"You will buy this Vader and like it!" There are kids in China that worked very hard on it. Eat your green beans while your at it.

Wor-Gar
07-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Then another country, say India will step in a take Chinas place when they out price themselves

Let's go, India -- get in there, make us some cheapie dolls.

jkno
07-14-2012, 11:51 PM

:exactly:

If Marmit managed to make a superb Stormtrooper in 2000 and they almost made a Vader too (and that Vader proto blows this Vader out of the water) why Sideshow cannot do it? It is really not that hard, but I guess their policy is: "make it how we want, the people will buy it anyway". And we are not talking here about a $10 Hasbro figure...

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cdt96010/marmit-vader.htm

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cdt96010/marmit-esb-vader2.jpg

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cdt96010/marmit-esb-vader3.jpg

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cdt96010/marmit-esb-vader1.jpg

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cdt96010/marmit-vader2.jpg

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cdt96010/marmit-vader3.jpg

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cdt96010/marmit-vader4.jpg

demorathis
07-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Don't know if anyone posted this info yet...
Vader has different materials used for the cloth components...tne done ands have are almost identical...almost.
Tne green"lighting" on the belt boxes are indeed painted to look as if they are glowing....to me the legs look short but maybe because im so used to the first ds' proportions...i was not terribly impressed ....but still an.improvement....

demorathis
07-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Double post

annihilate22
07-15-2012, 12:02 AM

It's coming at some point. China has slowly unloaded our debt over the past years.

Makes you wonder what country will be next. India is possible, but I'm thinking one of the countries in South America.

Let's go, India -- get in there, make us some cheapie dolls.

They would never come to India, simply because India doesn't have the manufacturing capabilities China does. Also, FDI regulations are the major reason that foreign investors shy away. Go figure...

IMO it's either Indonesia or Philippines.

DrQ2
07-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Yes, it does.

Thanks glad I waited.

gibby
07-15-2012, 06:09 AM
They would never come to India, simply because India doesn't have the manufacturing capabilities China does. Also, FDI regulations are the major reason that foreign investors shy away. Go figure...

IMO it's either Indonesia or Philippines.

I wouldn't say never, as US companies continue to push for policy reform. You have a similar issue, though, with China in higher salaries turning people off. Companies want in, though, for the continued growth.

I agree that Indonesia and the Phillippines are both on the short list, but again, policies need to be changed, especially monetary.

Too Much Garlic
07-15-2012, 10:59 AM

That's all fine if you don't care about the money you spend, but these are not cheap figure... I don't really care about them getting every stitch of the soft parts exactly right, nor the asymmetry of the hard parts, as long as they get the overall feel of the character right and for the most part, a too small dome and armor is just dropping the ball.

If I want to go all out in commenting on accuracy, then all I can see that is done right this time is the body shape - it looks proportionally better overall than the previous attempt. That's a nailed body shape and size. Everything else, just looks like they were referenced or made directly from the ANH figure... either to keep a sort of in-product-line consistency or they just didn't use better reference this time around - it's just not accurate. I can live with inaccuracies, but, not getting the HELMET right is just lazy. There are pictures, there are licensed casts, there are fan made casts, there's TONS of reference material that shows exactly how these things look along with measurements and everything.

If you are okay with blowing $200 on a figure where the general feeling was to re-use what was made for an earlier version, that's fine. I just don't have that kind of money to just throw around on something I know I'll not be satisfied with - when I pay that kind of money I don't want to have to upgrade anything.

And I can attest to the Marmit sculpt still being superior to this - and I only have an early prototype set of hard parts and not their later prototype look that was even better. If Sideshow cannot even beat Marmit's earliest attempts, let alone their near production prototype... then they've lost in my book.

Darth Madden
07-15-2012, 12:48 PM
That's all fine if you don't care about the money you spend, but these are not cheap figure.

If you are okay with blowing $200 on a figure where the general feeling was to re-use what was made for an earlier version, that's fine.

Oh come on... I hate when people say this crap. Of course we all care about how our money is spent and don't want to waste it on garbage. This has to do with what details people care about and what they don't care about. Like I said before if they made the helmet blue thats a error I can't overlook but if he is 1/8 of an inch too tall thats one I can overlook... what you think is important will be different than what I think is important and we are both right for what we think. I know just how expensive these things are and if overall the amount of errors is too many for me to handle then I don't buy it but I'm not going to bad mouth anyone else who does want to buy it.

Too Much Garlic
07-15-2012, 03:34 PM
And you think I'm bad mouthing people who are gonna buy it, as it is now, or if some issues will be fixed or all issues will be fixed?

If I am, then I apologize, as that was not my intention. I'm just saying that I'm not buying when it doesn't seem that they want to fix the major issues that was wrong with the last one. They fixed the height of the body... but there were other valid problems addressed that could/should be fixed in any new release. We know they have talented sculptors attached to creating these products - just look at the quality sculpting on those gloves. Use them and let them shine.

They really should take a new crack at that chest armor and that dome... those are the major hard part issues... if those are fixed... the other inaccuracies from a perfectionist standpoint can be overlooked, as those two fixes will help generate the overall LOOK of the character... and the rest is just bonus if fixed, but not as needed. With the softparts they could do the leather parts in a thinner material to create the accurate wrinkled look and the cape and tunic needs to hang and fold better - it's all just too stiff looking.

OSCORP
07-15-2012, 04:21 PM
I just don't trust SS anymore. How long does it take to get your ____ together in the 1/6 game?

That said, i never had any issues really with the ANH Vader. Dome was not an issue to me in hand. Cod piece sucked though medi's was much better. So if we get a Vader as good as that again i'll be happy. (even though you'd think some improvements would be made.) I will get this just not till last minute. If they could fix the proto to production paint and tailoring problems they'd be top of their game. (Wanna charge HT money? Get ready for _____ing)

But as far as preordering stuff from SS anymore forget it! (just don't know how the final product will turn out)
http://youtu.be/DhrfDvQoijY

Darth Madden
07-15-2012, 04:39 PM
And you think I'm bad mouthing people who are gonna buy it, as it is now, or if some issues will be fixed or all issues will be fixed?

If I am, then I apologize, as that was not my intention. I'm just saying that I'm not buying when it doesn't seem that they want to fix the major issues that was wrong with the last one. They fixed the height of the body... but there were other valid problems addressed that could/should be fixed in any new release. We know they have talented sculptors attached to creating these products - just look at the quality sculpting on those gloves. Use them and let them shine.

They really should take a new crack at that chest armor and that dome... those are the major hard part issues... if those are fixed... the other inaccuracies from a perfectionist standpoint can be overlooked, as those two fixes will help generate the overall LOOK of the character... and the rest is just bonus if fixed, but not as needed. With the softparts they could do the leather parts in a thinner material to create the accurate wrinkled look and the cape and tunic needs to hang and fold better - it's all just too stiff looking.

Well, when you say its ok for us to throw our money away on this then yes, to me, you are bad mouthing those who do want to buy it. Of course we all want these things to be better and hopefully they will fix everything you mentioned but if they don't will it be a deal breaker... I don't know... we'll see. But if it is for me I know it may not be for somebody else so if they spend their money on it it doesn't matter one bit to me and I'm not going to make fun of them for it I'll just save my money for something else.

Ok, no more from me about this specific subject... back to the figure itself.

Too Much Garlic
07-16-2012, 03:19 AM
Well, when you say its ok for us to throw our money away on this then yes, to me, you are bad mouthing those who do want to buy it.
I'm not getting that conclusion at all, so I will just have to agree to disagree. People have different preferences on what they like and what they want to spend money on. What one guy likes and have no issue spending money on will be like throwing away money to another. It's not a comment on those who DO buy: it's a comment on the product and my particular preferences - which I must confess are put really high, but not within the realm of impossibility.

When I say it's a waste of money... that's my opinion based on the product and price. Others disagree and thinks its well worth the price and they'll gladly pay it and be happy. I just can't see that my comment is in any way bad-mouthing those who DO want to buy - they just have different preferences than me. Nothing more.

Something that makes you happy is well worth the price, right. Well, seeing as buying this won't make ME happy... the price just isn't worth it for me, knowing it could easily be better and thereby more interesting to me.

I've had loads of comments thrown my way regarding the type of full scale Star Wars helmets I like and pay big money for by people who are completely satisfied with the idealized and cleaned up versions. They don't understand that I want all the warts and nicks and dents and scratches and paint detail and all that awesome little details and pay the money I do for those... I don't at all see that as bad-mouthing me... I just see it as those people making those comments don't have the same preferences as me and therefor thinks I'm throwing away money when, to them, nearly the same item can be bought for half or two thirds less than what I pay... but to me, it's NOT the same item at all and the money is well spent.

krieg-der-sterne
07-16-2012, 03:23 AM
I'm not getting that conclusion at all, so I will just have to agree to disagree. People have different preferences on what they like and what they want to spend money on. What one guy likes and have no issue spending money on will be like throwing away money to another. It's not a comment on those who DO buy: it's a comment on the product and my particular preferences - which I must confess are put really high, but not within the realm of impossibility.

When I say it's a waste of money... that's my opinion based on the product and price. Others disagree and thinks its well worth the price and they'll gladly pay it and be happy. I just can't see that my comment is in any way bad-mouthing those who DO want to buy - they just have different preferences than me. Nothing more.

Something that makes you happy is well worth the price, right. Well, seeing as buying this won't make ME happy... the price just isn't worth it for me, knowing it could easily be better and thereby more interesting to me.
its tough to have a different opinion here.if you critisize obvious mistakes,you are bad mouthing and a titti baby.all you have to do is say:oh, its great!!!than they leave you alone.everything else is a personal attack on their love child

Too Much Garlic
07-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Well, I can certainly understand the annoyance. If I really like something I definitely feel annoyed if people keep bagging on it continuously.

There is a fine line between critiquing and just plain bashing.

But with this figure, there are very clear things worth critiquing and that will hopefully be rectified. It must feel really insulting to Sideshow that people prefer a Hasbro dome over their effort... or... at least it should be. A company making cheaper figures gets it more right... that sure should bring some drive from Sideshow to push the bar even higher... but so far... nothing.

devilof76
07-16-2012, 04:54 AM

And some people care less.

Now do you see the problem with what you said?

Too Much Garlic
07-16-2012, 05:07 AM
And some people care less.

Now do you see the problem with what you said?

No. Not at all. Good for you. Just not my thing. I care more, you care less.

devilof76
07-16-2012, 05:12 AM
I think it has less to do with you caring, and more to do with you having an unhealthy, compulsory obsession with a child's toy. Your expectations are retentive and irrational. Your perception of the price is stingy and cheap. Miserly, even.

But good for you. Not my thing.

EVILFACE
07-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Money is made to be spent!

http://procrastinators-anonymous.org/files/images/falling_money.gif

Too Much Garlic
07-16-2012, 05:15 AM
I think it has less to do with you caring, and more to do with you having an unhealthy, compulsory obsession with a child's toy. Your expectations are retentive and irrational. Your perception of the price is stingy and cheap. Miserly, even.

But good for you. Not my thing.

So, you want this over a Hasbro, why?

And is Sideshow marketed at children or collectors?

devilof76
07-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Because it will look exactly like the character on film...for $200, or less.

Too Much Garlic
07-16-2012, 05:23 AM
Because it will look exactly like the character on film...for $200, or less.

Maybe to you it will look exactly like the character on film. It doesn't to me. Why is your opinion worth more than mine? You are equally as insulting towards my opinion as you say I am towards yours. So where does that leave things? Exactly where they are.

You like it as it is. I don't and think there's room for improvement that wouldn't require all that much. That's basically were things are and will remain.

The figure is worth it to some and not worth it to others. You think it's money well spent, I think it's currently money wasted. There's no reason both opinions can't co-exist.

OSCORP
07-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Devilof76 knows the difference between a 200$ figure, and a Hasbro one.:lecture

/Wait no he doesn't. :censored

Kuat of Kuat
07-16-2012, 05:29 AM
Ah, Vader, look at all the trouble you've caused...

http://images.limpfish.com/vader_with_a_parasol_sm.jpg

Boba Ben
07-16-2012, 05:30 AM
I really like what I've seen with this one, but then again, I really like the original one as well. I enjoy the movies and have seen them many, many times, but it'd be hard for me to point out the little problems with the Vader head sculpt and way the cape flows, etc. Perhaps I just don't have an eye for that. When I look at it I see a really cool looking Darth Vader figure. If he was orange or something really obvious, I'd be able to tell, but I can't even really tell that there's much of a difference in Vader's look between all of the movies, so I'm not very good at that I guess.

devilof76
07-16-2012, 05:33 AM
And is Sideshow marketed at children or collectors?

Define collector. It sure as hell isn't fine art that is being acquired here, and I'm fairly certain that someone collecting fine art would look at this hobby as childish.

This is a license directed at people who became fans of the property at a young age. Most adults who see Star Wars as adults, and never as children, consider it to be juvenile. It is not, and never has been, taken seriously as art.

Those of us who are still fans enough that we spend this kind of money for memorabilia are catering to the 6 year olds we were. So which way would you like to have it? Serious collector of toys made for adults who miss their childhood? Or what?

You can't hold a 1:6 figure to the same standards as a 1:1 prop. Stop suggesting that anyone who expects anything less cares less about what they're buying. You have as much of a foundation to make that judgment as I have to presume that you have psychological issues.

devilof76
07-16-2012, 05:35 AM
Devilof76 knows the difference between a 200$ figure, and a Hasbro one.:lecture

/Wait no he doesn't. :censored

Speaking of retentive and cheap...

OSCORP
07-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Speaking of retentive and cheap...

Devilof76 finds Hot Toys a bore.:lecture

/fin

EVILFACE
07-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Someone email David Prowse and ask him if this Vader doll looks correct.

devilof76
07-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Devilof76 finds Hot Toys a bore.:lecture

/fin

I also think Spider-Man sucks.

EVILFACE
07-16-2012, 05:38 AM
I also think The Amazing Spider-Man sucks.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Too Much Garlic
07-16-2012, 05:40 AM
Define collector.
A collector is someone who generally puts an item bought up on display and doesn't play with it. If you are seriously suggesting that the Sideshow figures are used as playthings, then I've seriously missed that use for them. I know people like the fact that they can do poses... but actually PLAY with them... not something I've heard much of. THAT'S a collectible.

I'm still a fan just as much as you are, so don't assume anything about me, just because I like things to be closer to the real deal than it currently is.

You said yourself you cared less, so it's not something I was the only one saying. You care less than I do and you are happy with the current look. Doesn't make you stupid. It just means you are more easily pleased with a product, because you don't demand as much. But that also doesn't invalidate my opinion, as it is as equally valid as yours. I guess you have less acceptance of my opinion than I have of yours.

devilof76
07-16-2012, 05:41 AM
I said I was happy with the figure they displayed this week?

:lecture :lecture :lecture

I would never waste money on that crap. :lecture

EVILFACE
07-16-2012, 05:42 AM
I play with my high end action figure dolls. :dunno

OSCORP
07-16-2012, 05:42 AM
I also think Spider-Man sucks.

http://larrybroughton.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Words-Cut-Deep-1024x649.png

Too Much Garlic
07-16-2012, 05:44 AM
http://larrybroughton.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Words-Cut-Deep-1024x649.png

Seriously... if that's enough to kill a dream... then it was not much of a dream.

If I like something or dream about something I don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks.

EVILFACE
07-16-2012, 05:45 AM

Sounds like some emo saying from Reddit.

devilof76

They're ____ing dolls. :dunno

OSCORP
Seriously... if that's enough to kill a dream... then it was not much of a dream.

If I like something or dream about something I don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks.

Wasn't my sarcasm light on?

devilof76
07-16-2012, 05:46 AM
Someone else's may not have been. :lol

Too Much Garlic
07-16-2012, 05:47 AM
Wasn't my sarcasm light on?

Nope. But then again... I'm known to have that fly right over my head most times. :panic:

Darth Madden
07-16-2012, 06:02 AM
its tough to have a different opinion here.if you critisize obvious mistakes,you are bad mouthing and a titti baby.all you have to do is say:oh, its great!!!than they leave you alone.everything else is a personal attack on their love child

I couldn't care less if you criticize the product I just don't like it when people make fun of me for liking it when they don't that's all.

devilof76
07-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Well, if you don't like it, then you're clearly intolerant. :wink1:

krieg-der-sterne
07-16-2012, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=Darth Madden;4666707]I couldn't care less if you criticize the product I just don't like it when people make fun of me for liking it when they don't that's all.[/QUOTE
i agree on that with you.:wave

Matt S
07-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Not sure what the heck half of you are talking about, and no disrespect intended, but my position is this:

Vader should be perfect. That's it. Perfect. Yeah, they're dolls, but expensive ones at this point.

pixletwin
07-16-2012, 09:14 AM
They're ____ing dolls. :dunno

They're ____ing pose-able statues. :dunno

Matt S
07-16-2012, 09:15 AM
they're ____ing articulated ____ing mothe____ing statues with an expensive ____ing price and we all should get ____ing along..

just ____ing kidding, btw

barryo
07-16-2012, 09:17 AM
big cocoa.........

krieg-der-sterne
07-16-2012, 09:18 AM
____ _____ ______________ ______ _______ ______ __ ___
insert on blank:rotfl

Matt S
07-16-2012, 09:20 AM
____ _____ ______________ ______ _______ ______ __ ___
insert on blank:rotfl

I couldn't' have said it better myself, lol

Chew74
07-16-2012, 05:46 PM
...WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED VADER!

The lightsaber hilt is wrong. Gino explained this is the stunt version. ESB and ROTJ are the same exact hilt, which is the MPP flash gun not the Graflex 3-cell flash gun. Here is Gino explaining. Cheers!

No that is old incorrect information and a myth that has been perpetuated over the years. The info on my site is correct.
The ESB hero saber was re-used as the hero saber for ROTJ as well.
This saber recently was found in a private collection and shown off on the rpf in great detail.
The guy who runs parts of star wars (who is a friend of mine) discovered this fact with me. I'm sure he just never got around to updating his site.
There are two threads in the archived threads section of the RPF that covers this in great depth with lots of pictures.

Here is a comp screen matching the saber.
The emitter has rusted a bit more over the years since ESB.
Keep in mind, they added tiny screws to the tops and bottom of the grips for ROTJ (to prevent them from continually falling off).

http://upload.hooverae.com/images/SWPgino/0590997.jpg

The graflex based saber that people have come to (incorrectly) know as the rotj vader saber is actually the luke/vader shared stunt dueling saber.

Here is a pic of it in ESB.

http://upload.hooverae.com/images/SWPgino/0810099.jpg

The allen head screws in the body were there to hold the blade. If you look at the tip/emitter, you will see that the blade has been roughly hacked off.

This shared stunt was used in all three OT SW films. It was used as a practice saber in ANH, then used by luke in ESB and then Vader in rotj. But only as a stunt dueling saber.

This saber has been incorrectly labeled by LFL for years, and due to that has caused incorrect information to be found in many reference books and traveling exhibits. Also MR made a replica of this saber unaware that it was not actually the hero ROTJ saber.
Oops.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7494/vaderrotj.jpg

By chew74 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/chew74) at 2012-07-16

cooltoyreview pics:
http://i49.tinypic.com/3539n36.jpg

teemu
07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Money is made to be spent!

http://procrastinators-anonymous.org/files/images/falling_money.gif

Looks like monoply money to me

Real HONEST money below

Wor-Gar
07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I feel sorry for the guys who passed on the first Vader only to end up with this offering (the same thing essentially) for twice as much.

Elbosenasoles
07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I feel sorry for the guys who passed on the first Vader only to end up with this offering (the same thing essentially) for twice as much.

I started collecting about 8-9 months ago and I'm just grateful there's another take at it so I don't have to shell out 400 for the original on eBay!

SilentSurfer
07-16-2012, 07:21 PM
I never knew that about the Vader sabers. So the allen screw saber is just a stunt saber never meant to be taken as an actual prop...:lol And now Sideshow's new Vader has the practice saber instead of the correct Emp/Jedi saber hilt.

:slap Priceless. But, hey, how many people knew that? :dunno I certainly didn't until now.

Wor-Gar
07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
^^^ :lol priceless.

pixletwin
07-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I am not disappointed in the new Vader. Once it is in my hands I know it will blow me away. I am only disappointed that Sideshow put almost no effort into their SDcC presentation this year. I would bet the moisture farm that the Vader they showed was merely a misguided placeholder.

devilof76
07-16-2012, 09:11 PM
As it is an ESB/ROTJ Vader, we'll probably be getting the ESB/ROTJ saber too. Cool to have the stunt version though.

automaton
07-16-2012, 10:30 PM
i was disappointed with the new Vader... i was expecting an overhaul which was hardly the case.

cakewalk
07-17-2012, 12:35 AM
It looks good enough to buy for me. Don't know why they have the stunt version though and was expecting a little more.

chRd
07-17-2012, 01:16 AM
this second version is a disappointment. at the same time i feel glad as im not going to go through the whole deal of purchasing a new one only to mod it again.

CaptnRex
07-17-2012, 04:29 AM
I am not disappointed in the new Vader. Once it is in my hands I know it will blow me away. I am only disappointed that Sideshow put almost no effort into their SDcC presentation this year. I would bet the moisture farm that the Vader they showed was merely a misguided placeholder.

Yeah, great post.:exactly:

They don't do themselves any favors though, if it was just a placeholder it'd be smart of them to maybe say so, it doesn't worry me but it may cut down some of the hysteria.

The ANH version is awesome and I'll buy this one too.

EVILFACE
07-17-2012, 04:35 AM
I've already said it, but it's just those pics.
It looks fine in Crawford's pic.

www.mwctoys.com

http://www.mwctoys.com/sdcc2012/images/sdcc2012_sideshow_starwars_8.jpg

Who is this? :dunno

barryo
07-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Who is this? :dunno

Chad Vader...........:lecture

DrQ2
07-17-2012, 05:35 AM

Yup do the same. I even hold,put on, play with my hero item's. I still have ships and toys from 1969 and up.

I can careless if something is $10 or $100,000 if all you wish to to about it is hitch about it. Stop now. You are not a collector.

Rzeznikk
07-17-2012, 07:38 AM
A collector is someone who generally puts an item bought up on display and doesn't play with it. If you are seriously suggesting that the Sideshow figures are used as playthings, then I've seriously missed that use for them. I know people like the fact that they can do poses... but actually PLAY with them... not something I've heard much of. THAT'S a collectible.

I'm still a fan just as much as you are, so don't assume anything about me, just because I like things to be closer to the real deal than it currently is.

You said yourself you cared less, so it's not something I was the only one saying. You care less than I do and you are happy with the current look. Doesn't make you stupid. It just means you are more easily pleased with a product, because you don't demand as much. But that also doesn't invalidate my opinion, as it is as equally valid as yours. I guess you have less acceptance of my opinion than I have of yours.

Have you ever seen those videos of guys making Stop Motion videos of Hot Toys and SS figures? Thats essentially "PLAYING" with your collectibles. Just cause you stare at yours on a shelf doesnt change the fact that these are still just really expensive toys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

MicroJow
07-17-2012, 09:40 AM
The second I saw that Episode IV helmet slapped onto their Vader, I knew this could NOT be the final product. I asked three different employees (not the ones handing out the gift cards - in their own words "I only work for Sideshow five days a year") but actual behind the counter and behind the ropes employees, about this Vader. I was told by all three that this is not the final product and one of them asked me specifically what I was concerned about.

I explained that the helmet on the Vader looked surprised. Like the front of the helmet was too long and that the dome wasn't resting properly on the face mask. He confirmed that they knew the fist Vader was too tall, so they've shortened this one. After speaking with me, the one who asked for details went back behind the curtain. He said he was going to write this down. Hopefully he wasn't just going behind the curtain to laugh at me.

Even though I am the proud owner of a Hurricane Episode IV Vader, I was likely to purchase this V/VI Vader, too. If it turns out looking like this prototype, there is no way I am placing an order.

Fingers crossed for fixes!

- MJ

Matt S
07-17-2012, 09:44 AM
As good as the Hurricane Vader was I used to own, something about it just didn't scream 'centerpiece' of collection, I dunno.

Thanks for trying, MicroJow - if that guy did laugh at you secretly, the final jokes on them - if the issues with dome are NOT addressed

Invictus Sol
07-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Hey, just saw this over at RS (http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1082345-12/):

The reveal head sculpt was there! Got to see it first hand. Very entertained! Sideshow did not want people to mistake the Vader and Malgus figures for the same thing.

Also, the Vader is still a work in progress. They DO plan on getting the fit of the helmet right...

FLOSI
07-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I have no ____s to give regarding Vader's Saber hilt.

flamingdead
07-17-2012, 11:39 AM
unfortunately i couldn't go to SDCC, so haven't seen this in person, and i'm sure someone else has said this, but to me, thats def a new face/neck sculpt (the triangle on the neck is the big give away) but with the ANH helmet stuck on it.
Now what i was wondering.. what vader helmet will the Hot toys exclusive Luke Bespin come with? From the pics released so far, that is NO WAY the sideshow Vader, so, have hot toys got their own Vader sculpt already...?

MaulFan
07-17-2012, 12:37 PM
So Sideshow thinks collectors can't tell the difference between Malgus and Vader :dunno

abake
07-17-2012, 12:47 PM
The second I saw that Episode IV helmet slapped onto their Vader, I knew this could NOT be the final product. I asked three different employees (not the ones handing out the gift cards - in their own words "I only work for Sideshow five days a year") but actual behind the counter and behind the ropes employees, about this Vader. I was told by all three that this is not the final product and one of them asked me specifically what I was concerned about.

I explained that the helmet on the Vader looked surprised. Like the front of the helmet was too long and that the dome wasn't resting properly on the face mask. He confirmed that they knew the fist Vader was too tall, so they've shortened this one. After speaking with me, the one who asked for details went back behind the curtain. He said he was going to write this down. Hopefully he wasn't just going behind the curtain to laugh at me.

Even though I am the proud owner of a Hurricane Episode IV Vader, I was likely to purchase this V/VI Vader, too. If it turns out looking like this prototype, there is no way I am placing an order.

Fingers crossed for fixes!

- MJ

I'm curious to see more pics of Hurricane's Vaders, can you post some pics?

OutLander
07-17-2012, 01:01 PM
So Sideshow thinks collectors can't tell the difference between Malgus and Vader :dunno

:lol Well that explains a lot, doesn't it. :rotfl

kl241
07-17-2012, 01:13 PM

They obviously also think we can't tell the difference between ANH Vader and ESB/ROTJ Vader. :lol

pixletwin
07-17-2012, 01:14 PM
How do I spell "Sideshow Collectibles at SDCC 2012"?

F - A - I - L

:wave

Kuzeh
07-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Well, I'll say this... I'm rarely OCD on my figures... but I did change the helmet, vest and cape on my ANH Vader.
I honestly wasn't impressed with the helmet and dome of this one... that was a huge let down...
But all the other details are definitely an improvement...
I'll post some pics I took @ SDCC later on.

Invictus Sol
07-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah, lol, that is pretty weak, but I was happy to get some confirmation that they're aware that the helmet needs to be fixed up.

MicroJow
07-17-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm curious to see more pics of Hurricane's Vaders, can you post some pics?

Here are a couple pix I shot back when I had both Sideshow's (on the right) and Hurricane's (on the left.)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5357/dsc05190b.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/dsc05190b.jpg/)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/779/dsc05187w.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/dsc05187w.jpg/)

abake
07-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Very nice! Thanks MJ!
Any full-body pics?
Surprisingly, I've not seen many pics of Hurricane's Vader (for such a highly sought after custom).

Matt S
07-17-2012, 08:08 PM
I think as soon as people get their Hurricane Vaders, they immediately go in a air tight, hermetically sealed vault

darthkostis
07-17-2012, 11:41 PM
I started collecting about 8-9 months ago and I'm just grateful there's another take at it so I don't have to shell out 400 for the original on eBay!
Me too.I started collecting just now so i only have the raimi spidey but i'm looking forward to buy all of this year's great figures.

eti1978
07-18-2012, 02:19 AM

Same goes for me too, I'm looking forward to this to go with the DX Luke

The Josh
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Vader looked pretty damn sweet IMO. The base is a great touch to what looked like a great figure.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x214/Sideshow_SuperFan/Comic-Con%202012/IMG_4759.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x214/Sideshow_SuperFan/Comic-Con%202012/IMG_4755.jpg

automaton
07-18-2012, 05:43 PM
i was expecting much more of an improvement form SST's initial Vader offering (ala Hot Toys Joker)... aside from the gloves, i can hardly tell this apart from the first one.

there is no character to the mask... it looks like a toy.

EVILFACE
07-18-2012, 05:54 PM
They need to stop with that multicolor mask. Paint it black or gunmetal. It looked like crap on the ANH. Prop accuracy be damn.

DARK-SIDE
07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
medicom EP3 vader helmet is better ……

chRd
07-18-2012, 10:29 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x214/Sideshow_SuperFan/Comic-Con%202012/IMG_4755.jpg

I wouldn't be scared of this vader. Im just going to push this Halloween
costumer aside.

kl241
07-18-2012, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't be scared of this vader. Im just going to push this Halloween
costumer aside.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xsmnOkPIZ1Q/TK9ImxVQj4I/AAAAAAAAAxE/ljYtIZm8bEg/s1600/vader+mask+1977.jpg

shocktrooper_au
07-20-2012, 01:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsZK_WfezDo&feature=plcp
posted by someone in the Snowtrooper thread
14:00 Vader talk - 2 part is display only

T.E.D
07-20-2012, 02:47 AM

That little two-piece helmet display is awesome, i'm suprised we didn't see any photos of that.

annihilate22
07-20-2012, 03:38 AM

:goodpost:

First time, I've seen him so clearly up-close.

That little two-piece helmet display is awesome, i'm suprised we didn't see any photos of that.

:exactly:

shocktrooper_au
07-20-2012, 03:59 AM
it is sweet but not what most where expecting

T.E.D
07-20-2012, 04:06 AM
I took a very basic screen capture.

http://i47.tinypic.com/350t2tk.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/eldvq.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/358rme0.jpg

creature4000
07-20-2012, 04:59 AM
Awesome!!! :rock

DGTWoodward
07-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Gift it to a fellow Italian-American 1/6th collector from California? :dunno

I also am an Italian-American Living in California, you could gift it to me...:pray:

Well, I say 'Italian-American' I am actually 'English/Spanish', but that is pretty close..isn't it, my fabulous Mediterranean cousin? :pray::pray:

And, I say 'living in America' but I am sort of ' a bit' living in England in the United Kingdom, but I do have a cousin (Curtis, or Mack or Buddy or something) in Texas which is just around the corner from Cally....so that's pretty close too...isn't it? :pray::pray::pray:

I mean, apart from those two minor alterations, everything I said was true, "I am also an..." and "living in...." and most importantly "you could gift it to me"

Not one word of a lie in those remaining words.

devilof76
07-20-2012, 05:27 AM

:google :google :google

That's incredible.

How did no one post a shot of that before now?

VintijDroidGutzz
07-20-2012, 05:30 AM
The eyes need to be rounder.... :monkey3

devilof76
07-20-2012, 05:31 AM
Whatever...

T.E.D
07-20-2012, 05:32 AM
:google :google :google

That's incredible.

How did no one post a shot of that before now?

That piece isn't on the display in any of the comic-con photos, they may have taken it out before preview night even started.

VintijDroidGutzz

Nice detail.

LipSmack

i think if the heads made it that far there isn't much that will change, personally im ok with it, i mean its obviously Darth Vader so good enough for me (disclaimer-this is MY opinion)

OutLander
07-20-2012, 05:36 AM

Whatever...

succinct and to the point. :rotfl

shocktrooper_au
07-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Has internal details too

devilof76
07-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Can't wait to see them.

:lol :lol :lol

How crazy would it be if that conversation could be over and done with as quickly as that, every time it happened? It's not like anything more than that ever gets said.

galactiboy
07-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Sounds promising from the interview... new head sculpt, better scaled body, separate helmet display and a better flowing cape. Don't know how much of it was on display, but it sounds like they listened to critiques on the first figure :rock

jkno
07-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Sounds promising from the interview... new head sculpt, better scaled body, separate helmet display and a better flowing cape. Don't know how much of it was on display, but it sounds like they listened to critiques on the first figure :rock

Let's really hope so!:exactly:

SwedishHeat
07-20-2012, 08:07 AM
2 part is display only

I'm hoping this part was just some misunderstanding. Making the reveal helmet as a display-only option is a deal breaker for me. SS should give this one more time to figure out how to be able to make the reveal helmet fit on his head.

LipSmack
07-20-2012, 08:10 AM
What does it matter though?, you get a full helmet head for helmet display, and an unmasked with extra pieces, do you need to personally " play " with removing and adding the helmet pieces?

pixletwin
07-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Wow that two piece helmet display was never mentioned by anyone that I can recall. That is a really a cool touch. This will definitely the figure to get!

SwedishHeat
07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
do you need to personally " play " with removing and adding the helmet pieces?

Yes.

:dunno

abake
07-20-2012, 08:34 AM
This is all very odd...
So Sideshow had the reveal mask/helmet but didn't show it to the public at large?

Matt S
07-20-2012, 09:19 AM
This is all very odd...
So Sideshow had the reveal mask/helmet but didn't show it to the public at large?

Marketing geniuses, the lot of em! Cool though

MaulFan
07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Kind of bummed it sounds like the reveal helm and assembled helm will be two different heads instead of a functioning reveal.

abake
07-20-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't really mind the reveal being a separate piece, I can't think of many display options with Vader having the helmet off.
As for why Sideshow packed the reveal helmet, maybe Lucasfilm asked them to? Seems very odd not to show it.

Wor-Gar
07-20-2012, 10:16 AM
I actually like the separate display of the two-piece reveal helmet as its own display, since I agree I would never pose Vader with his helmet half off.

VintijDroidGutzz
07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
I'll give you succinct.. :pfft: :lol

pixletwin
07-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I was one how longed for a functioning reveal a long time ago. But I have since become resigned that we won't get one and to the reasons why.

SwedishHeat
07-20-2012, 10:55 AM
My only hang-up on this is that I didn't have a big problem with the ANH Vader. Sure, he's a little tall but it doesnt bug me. So, if this one is a 'cosmetic' upgrade from the ANH version, rather than adding any 'play features' or 'functionality' (depending on how mature you want to sound), the impact of this 'deluxe' Vader is lost on me. If cosmetic upgrades are on the table now, I will continue to champion my cause for an upgrade to Jedi Luke.

Perhaps it's just because this Vader on display isn't actually the one we're getting. It sounds like the display model was kit-bashed with ANH parts?? I'm not quite sure. Either way, what has been shown is not enough to convince me to plunk down $200 for another Vader.

VintijDroidGutzz
07-20-2012, 11:06 AM
If cosmetic upgrades are on the table now, I will continue to champion my cause for an upgrade to Jedi Luke.
Sounds like a job for Hot toys.. :monkey3

galactiboy
07-20-2012, 11:12 AM
An actual reveal head just doesn't work unless you oversize the helmet or undersize the head. Medicom's helmet was proportionate tot he body, but the Anakin sculpt was a pinhead.

On the 1:1 bust it's pretty obvious that if you wanted to have ears on Anakin there was no way to make the piece a functional reveal.

krieg-der-sterne
07-20-2012, 11:37 AM
for me,the helmet is the big point here,they have to get it almost perfect,it surely must be wider and rounder at the top.the first version looked a little squashed

OutLander
07-20-2012, 11:48 AM
I'll give you succinct.. :pfft: :lol

Actually my comment was really focused on Devilof76's reply, I don't mind people making observations about how things don't look right on figures. But I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way. :1-1:

cokebabies
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
I actually like the separate display of the two-piece reveal helmet as its own display, since I agree I would never pose Vader with his helmet half off.

Yeah, I mean you could pose him removing the dome, if you you really wanted. I know Luke removed it, but I'd imagine Vader always used machinery like in the meditation chamber to remove it. Unless there's some non-movie EU explanations I'm unaware of.

SwedishHeat
07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Sounds like a job for Hot toys.. :monkey3

Hot Toys is not the answer.

Matt S
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Medicom fan?

Gipetto0812
07-20-2012, 01:16 PM

I like it too but I will pose him here and there w/o half his helmet similar to the teaser or how the Mythos statue is. Or, if they ever make a StarKiller, have Vader with his helmet off battling him like when you make the 'sith' choice at the end of the first game.

automaton
07-20-2012, 01:36 PM
This is all very odd...

the reveal helmet was there... it and Vader were not placed until later in the afternoon thursday.

Wor-Gar
07-20-2012, 01:41 PM
the reveal helmet was there... it and Vader were not placed until later in the afternoon thursday.

And no one took a picture of it at SDCC. Not one pic. Not even Josh.

pixletwin
07-20-2012, 01:52 PM

Weird.......

DrQ2
07-20-2012, 02:04 PM

One would think someone that is selling a item like this would take pictures and show it. To leave it up to the fans seem a little lazy. Still I am glad I canceled my 2.0 ver of this one and going to wait.

Husker75
07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
wait.. so nobody took any more pictures of the helmet display? wtf.. I took a few on my phone.. want me to upload them? they are not the clearest/highest res, but i'll do that if you guys want to see them. Gonna be sad if it is just a display though.. I thought we were getting a full on reveal?! meh..

devilof76
07-20-2012, 02:11 PM
We are getting a full reveal head (lower mask and Anakin head). We aren't getting a partial reveal head.

Husker75
07-20-2012, 02:12 PM
We are getting a full reveal head (lower mask and Anakin head). We aren't getting a partial reveal head.

thanks for the clarification! I was a bit confused.. still.. seems like an odd choice.. especially for something called.. deluxe.. :/

Husker75
07-20-2012, 02:14 PM
These were all I took.. got a side view at least for some more of the details..

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/Husker75/IMG_3285.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/Husker75/IMG_8925.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/Husker75/IMG_2549.jpg

pixletwin
07-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Those are great pics Husker!!! I can't imagine why this awesome detail on the Vader was totally lost in the SDCC shuffle.

galactiboy
07-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah, very strange that no images were posted until today :lol I wonder if these are done, but the non-reveal helmet is not which is why the displayed figure has older parts :huh

Although personally displaying this head/helmet do-hickey and the anakin portrait on Vader would have looked great IMO and been a much more satisfying show piece.

pixletwin
07-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Yeah, very strange that no images were posted until today :lol I wonder if these are done, but the non-reveal helmet is not which is why the displayed figure has older parts :huh

Although personally displaying this head/helmet do-hickey and the anakin portrait on Vader would have looked great IMO and been a much more satisfying show piece.

No doubt. Sideshow way underestimated and undersold the "delux" aspect of their Delux Vader.

FLOSI
07-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Holy crap! Look at that! I really hope the display is part of the set too... that would be awesome.

galactiboy
07-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I think the video said the display was part of it.

Gipetto0812
07-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the pics Husker!

Holy crap! Look at that! I really hope the display is part of the set too... that would be awesome.

:goodpost:

yea i hope that display base is included with this set!

FLOSI
07-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Just went back and watched it. I can't wait for this to PO. That's going to make one hell of a display.

Husker75
07-20-2012, 02:44 PM
welcome for the pics guys! I'm reserved a bit on this one, but still excited to see how it turns out! :) I just want this to be the last vader I ever have to purchase.. :/

FLOSI
07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
welcome for the pics guys! I'm reserved a bit on this one, but still excited to see how it turns out! :) I just want this to be the last vader I ever have to purchase.. :/

Thanks again, Husker! :clap

abake
07-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Now I'm even more confused... so the reveal was there all the time and yet nobody posted pics of it, even after people were _____ing about the fact that it wasn't shown? :dunno

Oh well, thanks for the pics Husker!

pixletwin
07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
That would be awesome if the inside of these are detailed the way the inside of the Stormtroopers helmets were on the Han and Luke set.

Gipetto0812
07-20-2012, 03:13 PM

i feel the same way. I'm hoping this is the only Vader I have to buy. The only other version I'd get is an ROTS version but that would have to look steller for me to make another Vader purchase

FLOSI
07-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I'll buy them all...

riblets
07-20-2012, 03:21 PM
There is a video on YouTube, "hot chix cool toy review" and they're touring the sideshow booth. They discuss the specs of the new Darth Vader... It should answer most of yous guys questions, haha :wink1:

FLOSI
07-20-2012, 03:32 PM
New cape material (Thinner, more flowing), all new body (more in scale)... good stuff.

Wor-Gar
07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Great you guys providing infomation but how about a link for us lazy asses?

FLOSI
07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
http://youtu.be/zsZK_WfezDo

Go to the 13:50 mark, Greg, you lazy ass. :lol

Wor-Gar
07-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Thank you! :1-1:

Husker75
07-20-2012, 04:00 PM
after watching that video, and hearing them talk about the display one having the interior details, I now feel a lot better about that, especially if it can be held in his hand or something and isn't permanantly attached to that thing. I'm in! :) Thanks for posting the video, since I too am lazy!

Wor-Gar
07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Much more promising. Though I still think that cape looks like trouble.

But I'm excited by the full helmet, separate revealed face AND two-part display reveal mask.

Invictus Sol
07-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Great to see the new pics (thanks, Husker) and the video (holy crap those Snowtroopers and E-Web look incredible). Vader's shaping up to be an epic release. Love that display with the helmet, too. Could see displaying Vader now and again looking at his mask in-hand, sort of like the Mythos statue. Either way, though, love those kinds of accessories for display.

Khonsu70
07-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Oooo, money shot! :thud:

Invictus Sol
07-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Yep, it's a beaut! I honestly don't know if the proportions look 100% correct to me, but regardless it still looks good. Definitely I can see really enjoying it on display, that's for sure.

The Josh
07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Wow that two piece helmet display was never mentioned by anyone that I can recall. That is a really a cool touch. This will definitely the figure to get!

Honestly, I just totally forgot to snap a pic of it. I saw it and thought it looked really cool but it got past me. I missed several items I meant to take pictures of.

devilof76
07-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Josh...:thwak

The Josh
07-20-2012, 07:33 PM
I know. :lol I'm kicking myself for missing several items. :(

noisetrigger
07-20-2012, 09:09 PM
So is the display helmet more accurate?

TotalDominAsian
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Huh? He comes with his regular Darth Vader helmet/head... pale reveal headsculpt... and a separate helmet that has intricate details on the interior for him to pose with. The exterior of the helmets should be the same with the exception of the portions that can be detached. They had to utilize separate Darth Vader helmets since one has a socket for the neck joint while the other has cool detailing instead on the inside.

noisetrigger
07-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Well, everyone here was saying how the helmet for this Darth Vader is not accurate. I was wondering if the reveal helmet is more accurate.

Gipetto0812
07-20-2012, 10:27 PM
I'll buy them all...

Yea I started thinking about it and I kind of want an ANH Vader to go with Old Ben. The one rule for my SW collection is to have all Obi-wan and Anakin/Vader incarnations. just missed out on the ANH version

thanks for posting and saying the time. I ended up watching the whole video after I skipped to 13:50 :lol I'm a little disappointed they didn't talk about TPM Obi-wan, but was glad to hear that Malgus will come with a second sculpt :yess:

VintijDroidGutzz
07-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Actually my comment was really focused on Devilof76's reply, I don't mind people making observations about how things don't look right on figures. But I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way. :1-1:
Yeah I know, & of course not mate - it's all good. :lol :hi5:

I think it's the only answer to a lot of SSC's blunders actually, but each to their own certainly. :dunno :lol

DGTWoodward
07-21-2012, 02:12 AM

Thanks Husker, those pictures were really helpful.

This is going to be (hopefully) the first and only DARTH VADER figure I will ever buy and I think I can quite easily live with the minor defects, seeing as how the rest looks to totally _____in'!!

I should point out this this would also be only my second SW 1/6 figure ever - when it becomes available - my first being Medicom's DARTH MAUL.

Marvel-ous
07-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Awesome Vader. I have the first one and buying this next one for sure. Just wondering how anyone could forget to post pics of the mask and helmet. Baffling.

Darth Madden
07-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Well, you can judge for yourself. This is what the real ones looks like. :)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/madden821/DarthVaderMask1.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/madden821/DarthVaderMask2.jpg

Too Much Garlic
07-21-2012, 02:06 PM
That is the Revenge of the Sith reveal. An all together very different helmet from the Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi helmet.

This is the RotJ reveal face mask:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Vader/VRR4.jpg

qbomb71
07-21-2012, 07:42 PM
That Hot Chicks interview was the bomb.

jedijim3002
07-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Not bad. I'd like to see the headsculpt.

nicocato
07-23-2012, 09:20 AM

thanks,,, this is what i was waiting for....
just recently came into SSC and SW collecting 1/6
long time toy collector, new to this..

does anyone know the lead time from showing @ sdcc to actual production and sale?

i have my little display of 8-10 classic SSC stormtrooper and i'm so itching to put a vader in there,,,
anyone?

FLOSI
07-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Well, it might be a couple months till the pre-order opens for this, then after that it can be anywhere from 6-8 months... Really though, with Vader it could well be about a year from now till it's in our hands.

nicocato
07-23-2012, 01:32 PM
does anyone know why i dont see my posts?

never mind, now i see it :/

@ Flosi, thanks, that was the question I was asking... i guess i'll try to get one second hand, so my display looks nice till the new one is put,
thanks

Rorywan
07-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Dark glasses?

FLOSI
07-23-2012, 01:47 PM
does anyone know why i dont see my posts?

never mind, now i see it :/

@ Flosi, thanks, that was the question I was asking... i guess i'll try to get one second hand, so my display looks nice till the new one is put,
thanks

Darklord Dave had to approve your membership... I was able to see it because I'm a moderator.

It's hard to tell when we'll have this in hand, nicocato.. SS seem to take their time with important SW releases such as Vader and Boba.

nicocato
07-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks FLOSI,
fortunately, i come from collecting Coarse and 3A, so i'm quite used to waiting month on ned for something,, even after paying 100% of it..

thanks, and can't wait for it, seems it will have some great additions, corrections and most important for me, a more comparable size to the stormtroopers, :D

Jango56031
09-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Any news on when this will be available for pre-order. :impatient:

Invictus Sol
09-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Best sign-up for the Sideshow e.mail alert, son.

eczamurai
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Will skip the medi and buy this one. Think it'll look splendid with a Hasbro dome if needed.

Matt S
09-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Man, a Hasbro dome better not be needed on their 2nd attempt.

DrQ2
09-06-2012, 05:22 PM

Don't we get to see his face or just the top part taken off?

chRd
09-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Man, a Hasbro dome better not be needed on their 2nd attempt.

agree. the dome fail on the first one should've already been a lesson to them. im not spending for yet another vader that i need to modify yet again. ill just probably be on the lookout for that base and replacement HS over at evilbay

Bo Shrek
09-07-2012, 07:51 AM
I have this figure of one of the few on my wish list. Better turn out good!!
Others are DX T-800 and Penguin.

pixletwin
09-07-2012, 08:23 AM
I have this figure of one of the few on my wish list. Better turn out good!!
Others are DX T-800 and Penguin.

Or what?.....

EVILFACE
09-07-2012, 08:25 AM

lol, son.

Jango56031
09-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the advise. I've been signed up since Jedi Luke was announced years ago. :cuckoo:

It just seems strange that we get the sneek peek pictures before SDCC, then he is displayed there and still no pre-order. Typically we should have been able to place orders within a week or two after SDCC. Unless they are waiting for their halloween event or the black/white event in the fall.

Matt S
09-07-2012, 02:28 PM
This figure better have 'feel real skin'!!!!!

DevilinthePaleMoonlite
09-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Really want one of these any idea when they will go up for pre-order? And estimated cost?-