PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

greygoose
12-11-2013, 12:32 PM
I'd like to hear the opinion of Gino or another Vader expert. To me, in hand, it looks pretty rad.

Looks fine to me but I'm no Vader expert. In this case I'm just happy to getting my first Vader figure.

kl241
12-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Looks all kind of wrong.

lerath666
12-11-2013, 01:19 PM
You're right. it looks nothing like Haden Christensen.

Shalamar
12-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Still no satin/leather trim round the cape. *sigh*

Thats a bit of contention. Likely in the movie, there was NO satin trim at the bottom of the cape. Instead, Vader cape is Wool, lined with Satin, but the Satin and the Wool were not sewn together at the bottom, as it would seriously hinder the flow of the cape when Vader walked.

What you see in the shot, is the outer wool Cape pulling up slightly from the Satin when Vader walks away. I'm told that my personal Cape/Costume does the same when I'm moving around.

RavenEye
12-11-2013, 03:26 PM
This still being shipped next month right?

Invictus Sol
12-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Thats a bit of contention. Likely in the movie, there was NO satin trim at the bottom of the cape. Instead, Vader cape is Wool, lined with Satin, but the Satin and the Wool were not sewn together at the bottom, as it would seriously hinder the flow of the cape when Vader walked.

What you see in the shot, is the outer wool Cape pulling up slightly from the Satin when Vader walks away. I'm told that my personal Cape/Costume does the same when I'm moving around.
Cool, thanks for that, Shalamar. Totally makes sense that if sewn, it would bunch up at the bottom and not drape as nicely.

bloodgear
12-11-2013, 03:49 PM

I know that's one possibility. However in certain other shots I've seen, not the scene in ESB when he's walking away, it still looks like it's sewn on the bottom.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f325/MoviePropMan/Props/mini-Dec-Feb06420.jpg

http://www.partsandtechnical.com/vadercapebridge.JPG

And from the Art of Star Wars Singapore 2005, screen used costume

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/myscififan/AOSW%20Exhibition/AOSWVaderExhibit1.jpg

It just really looks like it's stitched there.

I suppose it's another Han Hoth Coat colour debacle but meh. I do see your point though.

Shalamar
12-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Oh, The cape is definitely stitched at the bottom.. I just think it's more likely just a hemline, than the outer cape and inner cape stitched together.

Jun A
12-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Tease #3 image from Rebelscum:

http://www.rebelscum.com/2013/Vader-Tease-003.jpg

Based on this picture, the body needs to be replaced or bring to the gym for some pumping. Biceps are too skinny and this explain also why the pants looks loose. I guessed I have to patch this up with some Tamiya Epoxy Putty.

teemu
12-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Looks all kind of wrong.

and Zica's turdfoot doesn't? :dunno :rotfl

CollectorGuy
12-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Looks fine to me but I'm no Vader expert. In this case I'm just happy to getting my first Vader figure.

:goodpost: I feel the same as you i'm no expert and it looks good enough. I am still trying to understand why it cost 260 though.
At 260 you can get a premium HT figure like the iron man's.

rnbuda
12-11-2013, 06:01 PM
:goodpost: I feel the same as you i'm no expert and it looks good enough. I am still trying to understand why it cost 260 though.
At 260 you can get a premium HT figure like the iron man's.

Hot Toys Midas, a simple repaint, was $299 from their Iron Man line. Vader has pieces that needed to be tailored and much more accessories. $260 is high but if it comes out as well as we've seen, worth the price.

Creighton
12-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Im just happy that the other tusk is painted.

CollectorGuy
12-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Hot Toys Midas, a simple repaint, was $299 from their Iron Man line. Vader has pieces that needed to be tailored and much more accessories. $260 is high but if it comes out as well as we've seen, worth the price.

The midas was a bad example :slap That's just HT being a greedy ****. This vader is worth the 260 its just SSC shouldn't be charging HT prices.
Like with the taun taun i get that it has a lot a detailing and it has to be large to be in correct scale, i just think 350 is too much.

lerath666
12-11-2013, 07:10 PM

i don't get your issue here.

Shalamar
12-11-2013, 07:12 PM

In a new hope, one tusk was chrome, the other was painted black.In ESB and ROTJ, they were both Chrome.

pixletwin
12-11-2013, 07:14 PM
I just hope the tusks don't snap off easily and break like mine did. :(

D. Martin
12-11-2013, 07:17 PM
The midas was a bad example :slap That's just HT being a greedy ****. This vader is worth the 260 its just SSC shouldn't be charging HT prices.
Like with the taun taun i get that it has a lot a detailing and it has to be large to be in correct scale, i just think 350 is too much.

Costs if production have skyrocketed. That means we have to pay more. Don't like it? Tell the world leaders to pull their heads out of their asses and settle the economy and put the needs of the people that voted for them in front of big business.

Simple fact that the cost of full has doubled in a decade is indication that we are walking down a dark road.

rnbuda
12-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Also, workers are demanding higher wages as well in production and manufacturing.

abake
12-11-2013, 07:31 PM
These are the first pics where this figure really looks nice to me.
Having said that, the arms are a bit skinny.

pixletwin
12-11-2013, 07:55 PM
New preview pics at RS:

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/2013/Vader-Tease-005.jpg

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/2013/Vader-Tease-004.jpg

demorathis
12-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Also, workers are demanding higher wages as well in production and manufacturing.

Not much demanding done in China by laborers unfortunately.....
Now the factories are a different story, but most business there thrive on high volume low cost service....another reason we have less and less made in USA toys...which is a shame, but it's just cheaper to produce items there....

ApeManRyan
12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
New preview pics at RS:

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/2013/Vader-Tease-005.jpg

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/2013/Vader-Tease-004.jpg

Looking good! Wonder if this will be in the newsletter tomorrow. I'm hoping! :pray:

rnbuda
12-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Damn, these previews are awesome!

demorathis
12-11-2013, 08:12 PM
New preview pics at RS:

Looking good.
hard to tell if the dome is any different from their ANH other than the widows peak gone....

Anyone who's seen it firsthand know for sure?

OSCORP
12-11-2013, 08:40 PM
IMO the blue background really brings out the flaws on any figure. Looks decent so far.

Creighton
12-11-2013, 08:40 PM
in reference to back view teaser pic:
Should the helmet sit lower to the shoulders with no neck visible?

demorathis
12-11-2013, 08:57 PM
in reference to back view teaser pic:
Should the helmet sit lower to the shoulders with no neck visible?

In the film, the backside was always in shadow to hide his neck I assume since the collar was only for the two reveals ever shown...

That's another reason the dome and mask sits higher on the shoulders with a collar...
the rear collar actually lifts the faceplate to the level of the shoulders instead of letting it slide lower over the clavicle like it would on the actor without the rear collar unless fastened rather tightly

VintijDroidGutzz
12-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Two things that pop out immediately to me (dome being undersized aside):

*The bodysuit reminds me of the old vinyl clone bodysuits.. that ain't great. Sure there are actual 'pleats' sewn in, but where's the horizontal wrinkling immediately noticeable in every Vader suit? It also look thin. Ehh..

*The bottom of the cape isn't hemmed off - it's frayed & looks cheap. The folding looks nice though..

Are there unobstructed pics of the arms? I'd like to see them properly.

CaptnRex
12-12-2013, 02:20 AM
I'm going to buy it and enjoy owning it. I have room set aside for it.

devilof76
12-12-2013, 02:30 AM
Easy, now. Let's not get carried away.

I'm sure someone here can talk you out of it. Enjoying things that aren't flawless by the standards of others can be a dangerous thing.

DeadLeaves
12-12-2013, 02:46 AM
Yep, concentrate on the details that others have noticed are wrong. That's how you enjoy that new figure buzz. :yess:

VintijDroidGutzz
12-12-2013, 03:10 AM
Whatever works for ya'z... :duff

shocktrooper_au
12-12-2013, 03:20 AM
I usually enjoy my figs until I see the mods come in, then I have to do the ones I can, something's can not be unseen

Racetrack
12-12-2013, 03:27 AM
I'm not thrilled with the skinny arms. I'll wait until the reviews come in and i doubt i'll cancel because who knows when we'll get another Vader (not to mention the NRD) but for $250 i expect better. Everything else looks very, very good though so far.

Leon 911
12-12-2013, 06:06 AM
I'm not thrilled with the skinny arms. I'll wait until the reviews come in and i doubt i'll cancel because who knows when we'll get another Vader (not to mention the NRD) but for $250 i expect better. Everything else looks very, very good though so far.

Man i am also going through the same thing, although i did order with an nrd. Since its exclusive i am hesitating to cancel. Not that its a bad figure i am just a bit low on funds with some other investments and also a relocation coming my way, but just dont want to cancel and lose 25 bucks as well. Let's see...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

shocktrooper_au
12-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Well I'm sure that since Vader is bigger then a standard figure they'll be fine, probably just the armour bulking him in other areas more

devilof76
12-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Wasn't the point of a looser fitting bodysuit to enhance articulation? Or was that just supposition that sprung up here?

SithThundercracker
12-12-2013, 07:53 AM
He looks skinny indeed. I'm not supposed to say something like that on a 250$ figure, but if a KP-02 body port can be easily done (like the old Vader) giving me a beefy correct scale figure, well...I will do it.

lerath666
12-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Costs if production have skyrocketed. That means we have to pay more. Don't like it? Tell the world leaders to pull their heads out of their asses and settle the economy and put the needs of the people that voted for them in front of big business.

Simple fact that the cost of full has doubled in a decade is indication that we are walking down a dark road.

Very true. I'm wondeirng what's going to happen in 5-10 years time.

Be nice if they actualy got them, wouldn't it?

devilof76
12-12-2013, 08:25 AM
It's not wages. It's purchasing power.

EVILFACE
12-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Two things that pop out immediately to me (dome being undersized aside):

*The bodysuit reminds me of the old vinyl clone bodysuits.. that ain't great. Sure there are actual 'pleats' sewn in, but where's the horizontal wrinkling immediately noticeable in every Vader suit? It also look thin. Ehh..

It's one sixth scale. Clothes do not wrinkle the same as adult sized clothes.

*The bottom of the cape isn't hemmed off - it's frayed & looks cheap. The folding looks nice though..

:dunno Even the custom capes people phap to on here are not hemmed and will fray.

Wasn't the point of a looser fitting bodysuit to enhance articulation? Or was that just supposition that sprung up here?

I know, right? It's a action figure not a statue. :cuckoo:

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I must say, one of the most amusing things here at SSF are people who balk and criticize to the millimeter any imperfection on a $250 doll and yet will pay upwards of $500 on a custom that looks like crap.

FLOSI
12-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Did any 30 day notices get sent out?

EVILFACE
12-12-2013, 09:48 AM
http://gallifreybase.com/forum/images/smilies/doc01.png You are quite right, my child.

greygoose
12-12-2013, 09:49 AM
I must say, one of the most amusing things here at SSF are people who balk and criticize to the millimeter any imperfection on a $250 doll and yet will pay upwards of $500 on a custom that looks like crap.

People pay that? :mwaha

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 09:53 AM
People pay that? :mwaha

That price is a on the low end too!

Wanderer
12-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Wow looks crap! And why do his hands look oversized? Looks like he's wearing oven gloves.
Passing this like a fat bird in a night club

greygoose
12-12-2013, 10:05 AM
That price is a on the low end too!

Crazy! :cuckoo:

Leon 911
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Wow looks crap! And why do his hands look oversized? Looks like he's wearing oven gloves.
Passing this like a fat bird in a night club

Lol... That was funny... Now everytime i or my wife wear those Owen gloves i will have to raise my hands and clench my fist... Lol

EVILFACE
12-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Use the Force to remove chicken pot pie from the oven?

Leon 911
12-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Amusing as it may be and no disrespect intended, some of those 500 dollar dolls are made by artist who work hard in replicating expressions, sculpts, clothings, evry bit of nuances on a face, matching paint aps, accessories and also have to do with 1/100th of the resources and muscle power that ss or ht has. So this makes me wonder that barring price how can those round the corner artists do a fairly non disputable job and here we have a company with all its resources, fan support, license reference material and they are unable to replicate a "dome" leave alone anything else (did i mention second attempt)

Anyways. I respect the artists at hot toys, ss enterbay but i am sure the artists which work hard to prove their worth without much muscle power n financial resources deserve their own share of respect and so do their fans! ...

To appreciate one, do not ever criticize another and vice versa...

Leon 911
12-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Use the Force to remove chicken pot pie from the oven?

Lol..

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Amusing as it may be and no disrespect intended, some of those 500 dollar dolls are made by artist who work hard in replicating expressions, sculpts, clothings, evry bit of nuances on a face, matching paint aps, accessories and also have to do with 1/100th of the resources and muscle power that ss or ht has.

Wow, in all my years as a regular poster here and in the customs section (often having commissioned custom figures myself and counting a few of the greats as my friends) I had no idea that some of them work very hard. Thank you for enlightening me.

:dunno

Leon 911
12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Wow, in all my years as a regular poster here and in the customs section (often having commissioned custom figures myself and counting a few of the greats as my friends) I had no idea that some of them work very hard. Thank you for enlightening me.

:dunno

Yawn... Past glory, past posts, past data... Send me a Pm on what you personally made, let me see if its worth 500 dollars. Or may be u are just Hurt no one would pay a dime ;)

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
My video review will be up tomorrow :)

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbTrvy6CMAIqBu2.jpg

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Yawn... Past glory, past posts, past data... Send me a Pm on what you personally made, let me see if its worth 500 dollars. Or may be u are just Hurt no one would pay a dime ;)

Huh?

I am not sure your reading comprehension is up to snuff. Past what? I am not a customizer. Rather, I assume perhaps you are the one butt hurt because you have paid an exorbitant amount for said "piece of crap" and deep down you regret being duped. :lol

Leon 911
12-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Huh?

I am not sure your reading comprehension is up to snuff. Past what? I am not a customizer. Rather, I assume perhaps you are the one butt hurt because you have paid an exorbitant amount for said "piece of crap" :lol

Hmm can you PM those people who you claim to be friends with that what they make is a "piece of crap" ... If you have the courage go and post on their threads, the ones you say are a piece of crap... Dont be a chicken little...

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Hmm can you PM those people who you claim to be friends with that what they make is a "piece of crap" ... If you have the courage go and post on their threads, the ones you say are a piece of crap... Dont be a chicken little...

Listen.

1) You are a presumptious fellow. You don't know me. You haven't even been a member here for a year yet. You have no idea what my sense of humor is nor my long history with this board and the people who post here.

2) You are making assumptions about what I wrote and becoming needlessly offended. Whatever unpleasant circumstances you have found yourself in that has led you to misdirect some of your personal frustrations onto what I wrote is your business.

3) Your use of "chicken little" betrays your ignorance since it makes no sense in context of anything I have written.

So yeah. Your turn puppy dog.

ApeManRyan
12-12-2013, 12:26 PM
My video review will be up tomorrow :)

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbTrvy6CMAIqBu2.jpg

:yess::clap Finally we can get a real look on Vader. So excited!!!

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 12:28 PM
If anyone has any questions or would like a specific look at something, let me know and i can take some pictures. The video is done but i have to wait for tomorrow to make it live. But in the meantime, i've been "authorized" to show off pictures haha

ApeManRyan
12-12-2013, 12:29 PM
If anyone has any questions or would like a specific look at something, let me know and i can take some pictures. The video is done but i have to wait for tomorrow to make it live. But in the meantime, i've been "authorized" to show off pictures haha

Please do I'm so excited to see Vader.:pray::panic:

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 12:30 PM

I would like to see the inside of the display mask. When Sideshow first showed this they mentioned details on the inside of the helmet would be produced (similar to the non functional Luke/Han stormtrooper helmets).

Gracias. :D

adello25
12-12-2013, 12:31 PM

Pictures of everything please? :yess::yess::yess:

lerath666
12-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Amusing as it may be and no disrespect intended, some of those 500 dollar dolls are made by artist who work hard in replicating expressions, sculpts, clothings, evry bit of nuances on a face, matching paint aps, accessories and also have to do with 1/100th of the resources and muscle power that ss or ht has. So this makes me wonder that barring price how can those round the corner artists do a fairly non disputable job and here we have a company with all its resources, fan support, license reference material and they are unable to replicate a "dome" leave alone anything else (did i mention second attempt)

Anyways. I respect the artists at hot toys, ss enterbay but i am sure the artists which work hard to prove their worth without much muscle power n financial resources deserve their own share of respect and so do their fans! ...

1) I'm assuming either english is not your first language, and you're getting confused, OR you've been burned on a custom in the past, and are projecting onto Pix, OR are a customizer yourself, and are protecting your financial interests.

2) Customizers spend MORE time per piece than a mass produced piece gets. Additionaly, it's generaly one or two pieple seeing a piece through from begenning to end, as opposed to TONS of people working on a product for mass consumption. This allows for a finer degree of controll from start to finish. This means that a finished custom piece has the potential to look MUCH better than a mass produced one.

3) Some customs are amazing. Some Are Crap. I've bought a few, and i'll never buy a custom again.
I still own an AMAZING ( for its time) Sith Luke from Hurricane, who is the premire Vader Fabricator in 1/6th.
I also bought a 70$ headsculpt from Elvis, from whom it took close to 15 months for him to ship to me. During which time he never responded to my messages to remind him of my purchase, which i did not send untill 6 months in.
It FINALY arrives, is an OK paintjob, and the majority of his paintwork flaked off within a week of it sitting on my shelf.
70$ for a paintjob, on a head i paid 35$ for. Wheee..

4) you're making yourself look stupid. Might wanna quit while you're ahead.

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 12:44 PM
I am thinking english is not his native language. He failed to pick up on my original point and tried to point out something that was painfully obvious (and not at all relevant to the joke I made) and he still didn't get the point and thought I was insulting customizers. :slap:

It's all good though. We all make asses of ourselves at one time or another here. Lord knows I have. :lol

Besides, I am still on a high from getting my Doctor Who figures. :lol

EVILFACE
12-12-2013, 01:08 PM

I for the most part can't stand you tube toy reviewers. But when I do by chance click to see what they have to offer, most of the time their voices are awful.

I would suggest doing Vaders review in the voice of James Earl Jones.

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I would like to see the inside of the display mask. When Sideshow first showed this they mentioned details on the inside of the helmet would be produced (similar to the non functional Luke/Han stormtrooper helmets).

Gracias. :D

How's this? http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/ezy2u3a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I for the most part can't stand you tube toy reviewers. But when I do by chance click to see what they have to offer, most of the time their voices are awful.

Well ya can't make everyone happy

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 01:18 PM

AWESOME!!!!

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/meh.ro10002.gif

Looks really great. I was worried they had changed their minds in production. Thank you for showing me. :duff

BurningRage
12-12-2013, 01:18 PM
How about a pic of the inside of the box

galactiboy
12-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Pictures of everything please? :yess::yess::yess:

This :lecture

Very cool... kind of like the inside of their 1:1 bust :rock

But really post pictures of anything.... I'm curious about the look of the material used for the bodysuit; Sideshow showed two different kinds. Looks like they went with the more matte stitched looking fabric over the stuff that was kind of shiny and pressed looking.

Also, clear shots of the unmasked head would be cool :rock

Bo Shrek
12-12-2013, 01:21 PM

Can we see the Anakin sculpt? Maybe even Vader standing next to HT luke? Also what are your quick thoughts??

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Can we see the Anakin sculpt? Maybe even Vader standing next to HT luke? Also what are your quick thoughts??

Everyone is asking for stuff i show in the video itself :P

Except Luke. I don't have Luke :(

Quick thoughts are the figure isn't perfect (nothing ever is). But i really enjoy him and think he's worth picking up.

lerath666
12-12-2013, 01:31 PM
well, for scale, just pose him with any other hot toys or sideshow figure?

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 01:38 PM
well, for scale, just pose him with any other hot toys or sideshow figure?

Now THAT i can do.

But only cause i was a bit of a tard and forgot to do that in the actual video ;) gimme a few

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Wow I didn't realize how much bigger of a figure he is compared to others hah hope this looks okay

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/jyvyguty.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/sa7u3ete.jpg

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm assuming his hands look Hasbro-huge because of lens distortion, right?

The drape on this one is a great improvement over the ANH version, that is for sure. :rock

Black Label Society
12-12-2013, 01:57 PM
those baggy pants are terrible.

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm assuming his hands look Hasbro-huge because of lens distortion, right?

The drape on this one is a great improvement over the ANH version, that is for sure. :rock

Not really lemme distortion. His hands are pretty big.

ApeManRyan
12-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Looking awesome there!!! :rock

jedijim3002
12-12-2013, 02:02 PM
How about a picture of the Shaw portrait please? Thanks.

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 02:05 PM
those baggy pants are terrible.

They aren't all that baggy. They just bunch up and shift upward because of the boots. You can ( if you're careful) get the pants pulled through the boots and lessen the bunching

Optibotimus
12-12-2013, 02:06 PM
How about a picture of the Shaw portrait please? Thanks.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/gerajune.jpg

ApeManRyan
12-12-2013, 02:12 PM
The Shaw head looks great!!! I'm going to be very happy when I receive mine in. :yess::clap:thud:

pixletwin
12-12-2013, 02:12 PM
I definitely like the head sculpt a lot more. Its more of the gentle smile most of us wanted rather than the stern Darth Vader expression we thought we were getting. I am definitely happy with that. :clap:

FLOSI
12-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Can't wait to get this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invictus Sol
12-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Really liking the details, so far. Thanks, Optibotimus. :duff

jade
12-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Optibotimus, can you post a picture where the arms and legs are more visiable with the cape is not obstructing the view?
Thanks in advance!

kenobryan
12-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks Optibotimus!!!

Bo Shrek
12-12-2013, 02:49 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/gerajune.jpg

I like how the bottom of the cheeks are stuffed into his lower masked!

Darth Fok
12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
In some ways I still think the Medi version looks better, it's too bad how their scales are smaller

Wanderer
12-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Yeah the Medi version from what? Five years ago?
This one looks crap. Definitely need to see better pics to get a feel for it. No disrespect, but I don't think the pics up to now look too flattering.

And he's wearing oven gloves and pants so baggy, MC Hammer would be embarrassed to wear them.

Bo Shrek
12-12-2013, 03:35 PM

Do you sense "THE DELUXE" in this figure and can you agree to the $250 price tag? Is this in Hot Toy territory?

OSCORP
12-12-2013, 03:49 PM

I wanna see a dynamic pose. Do you got the ANH VERSION OR MEDI to compare? Not really seeing 250$ worth of awesome here.

:lol

:lecture

SithThundercracker
12-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Medi Vader? Oh come on... :thud:

Lejuan
12-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Medi Vader? Oh come on... :thud:

What's wrong with Medi Vader? Apart from the scale issue there's a lot to like.

jedijim3002
12-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Looks great. Thanks optibot.

Darth Con
12-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Shaw sculpt looks too angry i think.
Why did they do it like that?
Not sure i like it. :(
And confused about the dome again, looks different in every new photo, some good some bad. :gah:

Punisher75
12-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Helmet probably looks different in each pic due to lens distortion, I know that with the real full size helmets the rule is to take the pic from at least six feet away and zoom in. I speak from experience with the real helmets being a Darth Vader costumer that's part of the 501st Legion.

shocktrooper_au
12-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Helmet probably looks different in each pic due to lens distortion, I know that with the real full size helmets the rule is to take the pic from at least six feet away and zoom in. I speak from experience with the real helmets being a Darth Vader costumer that's part of the 501st Legion.

That's the technique I use, stand back and zoom in a touch, found that out photographing bicycles as the wheels would be oval shape if not done

VintijDroidGutzz
12-12-2013, 07:35 PM
It's one sixth scale. Clothes do not wrinkle the same as adult sized clothes.
I'm talking about the signature horizontal creases right through suit - not the way the suit looks when you move the limbs etc. Understand? :lol

Even the custom capes people phap to on here are not hemmed and will fray.
Well, fair enough.. but be that as it may - it looks bad. :)

Power to'em certainly - but I've NEVER bought anything like that. :wink1:

All that said - first of all, cheers to Optibotimus for those recent pics. Unfortunately - as Pixletwin mentioned, the lens skew is really wonking out some of those proportions, which is clouding things more perhaps.

Maybe it's more to do with the way he's posed the figure - but lens distortion aside, the proportions still look askew; dome size / placement, how the torso pieces sit, the cod piece, general body proportions.. hmm.

The Shaw sculpt is quite good, so that's a positive - but till an actual review gets posted - yeah, we'll see.

DiFabio
12-12-2013, 07:42 PM
I get the feeling that Vintij doesn't like Sideshow. Just a hunch.

EVILFACE
12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
There is always medicom...............lol.

DiFabio
12-12-2013, 08:09 PM

Wrong scale.

Darth Con
12-12-2013, 08:17 PM
I think by this time next year your standard 1/6 scale Sideshow figure will be $249.99, Deluxe SS around $299.99, thats getting up to premium format prices (wont even go into price predictions for them!)

Increase will never stop. :(

I just wonder how far it can go before nobody buys anymore and SS closes down.
When is enough enough, and when will the bubble burst? :dunno

DiFabio
12-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Increase will never stop. :(

I just wonder how far it can go before nobody buys anymore and SS closes down.
When is enough enough, and when will the bubble burst? :dunno

When the **** finally hits the fan and there's an economic meltdown, I don't think we'll be too concerned about the doll companies going under or the doll industry falling apart.

Hope you all have enough gold, silver, baked beans and lead!

Lejuan
12-12-2013, 08:28 PM
And confused about the dome again, looks different in every new photo, some good some bad. :gah:

I can't get a handle on it either. Some places it looks fine, others it looks very similar to the ANH Vader...

VintijDroidGutzz
12-12-2013, 08:37 PM
When the **** finally hits the fan and there's an economic meltdown, I don't think we'll be too concerned about the doll companies going under or the doll industry falling apart.
:lol It's like putting the cart before the horse, isn't it.

I'm glad I'm uber selective - there's not one 1/6 figure I own that I regret buying.

These companies exist because of us - not the other way around.

phobicsquirrel
12-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Can't wait for the video. Pants look a bit baggy but I think maybe that can be fixed. Not sure if I like the gloves so big but maybe that can be fixed as well. Also does that head in the helmet move? Seems the head should be sat inside the helmet a bit more.

devilof76
12-12-2013, 09:35 PM

If I think a custom sucks, I'll say so as readily as I will a figure from a larger company.

But you won't find me in a thread for a figure I don't like. I don't suffer from the illusion that my negative opinion is worth a damn.

These companies exist because of us - not the other way around.

Sideshow's not my mama? :dunno

Mike86
12-12-2013, 10:24 PM
This figure is looking pretty good to me. I have the Hot Toys Bespin Luke and think I may need to get this to go along with him.

Wanderer
12-13-2013, 12:23 AM

There's always bobbed helmet, oven gloved, baggy pant wearing Sideshow version right? Enjoy pal, enjoy!.......lol

D. Martin
12-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Fill your boots.

http://www.rebelscum.com/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles.asp

OSCORP
12-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Not too much of a difference.

http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-053.jpg

Helmet for sure looks better.

http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-052.jpg

Think i'll wait for the video before making a decision. My Medi version is awful nice.

Punisher75
12-13-2013, 01:02 AM
after looking at the Rebel scum photos I have to say I am pretty damn impressed. Wish he wasn't so tall and that they had not went with the stunt saber as his official saber (for the non prop collectors it has been dis proven for a few years now that the Graflex stunt saber was the official Vader saber in ROTJ , the ESB saber was actually used in ROTJ but with the saber hook set further back on the belt you rarely catch a glimpse of it. ) I think it's a vast improvement over the ANH figure and this pic really shows it!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/punisher75/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-052.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/punisher75/media/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-052.jpg.html)

Mr Walker
12-13-2013, 01:09 AM
The baggy costume looks terrible. :(

VintijDroidGutzz
12-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Fill your boots.

http://www.rebelscum.com/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles.asp

Thank you sir. :duff

It's all there - great break down Mr Martin.

Peruse at my leisure - then comment.. I will. :lol

shocktrooper_au
12-13-2013, 01:15 AM
Not too much of a difference.

Helmet for sure looks better.

http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-052.jpg

Think i'll wait for the video before making a decision. My Medi version is awful nice.

This shot sells it to me the helmet looks much better, the body seems slimmer and not much shorter. Really the question now do I need it? It's hard to tell with some of the shots as the lighting isn't how I light my figures but some shots it looks cheap

CollectorGuy
12-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Lookin good there will be a great addition to my SW collection. Having the 2 compared the pants material on the old one looks more accurate.
The new cod piece is step backwards though, the old cod piece looks more natural and doesn't standout. :slap

Still this will have to do for me and aside from the cod piece and body suit this vader is better in every other way.
Why his gloves stick out from the sides just :dunno

Punisher75
12-13-2013, 01:27 AM
the cod piece is accurate to ESB/ROTJ ANH had a smaller cod piece
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/doaltu/ESBC1.jpg (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/doaltu/ESBC1.jpg.html)
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/doaltu/ESBC5.jpg (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/doaltu/ESBC5.jpg.html)

I will say the belt should rest over the top edge of the cod piece a bit like in this pic

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/punisher75/starwars3_h1.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/punisher75/media/starwars3_h1.jpg.html)

CollectorGuy
12-13-2013, 01:48 AM
the cod piece is accurate to ESB/ROTJ ANH had a smaller cod piece
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/doaltu/ESBC1.jpg (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/doaltu/ESBC1.jpg.html)
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/doaltu/ESBC5.jpg (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/doaltu/ESBC5.jpg.html)

I will say the belt should rest over the top edge of the cod piece a bit like in this pic

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/punisher75/starwars3_h1.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/punisher75/media/starwars3_h1.jpg.html)

Ok well i never much paid any attention to vaders cod piece throughout the SW films, i guess if thats how its supposed to be then ok.
Nice custom vader there i wish i could get some storm troopers, why hasn't SSC remade those guys?

jedijim3002
12-13-2013, 02:46 AM
He's still a bit too tall I think. Here come the mods. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/6umababy.jpg

jedijim3002
12-13-2013, 02:49 AM
Nice pics though. Thanks for the link to rebelscum.

shocktrooper_au
12-13-2013, 02:49 AM
Yeah looks about the Same height, when they said smaller I think they meant thinner

SithThundercracker
12-13-2013, 03:12 AM
KP-02 is needed. Everything else for me is ok. Also with a beefer and shorter body the helmet will look bigger, the pants will be better filled and the cape will almost touch the ground. Can't wait!

anwe
12-13-2013, 05:25 AM
Still very tall, but weirdly enough the torso is longer while the legs are shorter on the new one. Weren't the torso the part people modded to reduce the height, or was that simply because it was easier?

It does look a lot better in these pictures with regard to the dome and especially the cape. But the old one never seemed to have such skinny arms and legs, even if the old body did have the exact same look under the suit if I remember correctly from wading through the old threads before. Could a difference in material make such a difference on the body? Or is it that the Vaders that had the original body just by chance didn't show their arms and had the legs safely hidden away under the robes?

shocktrooper_au
12-13-2013, 05:41 AM
It's a new body, looks. Lot thinner, thankfully the upper legs are shorter now as they where out of proportion before. The abdomen was swapped out cause it wa the easiest option I think

SithThundercracker
12-13-2013, 05:53 AM
Quick PS comparison. Hard to tell if they're scaled correctly because the feet peg of old vader was inside the boots.
Surely they have completely different proprotions.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w514/SithThundercracker/vadercomp_zps93e88c89.jpg

Racetrack
12-13-2013, 06:02 AM
I'm not thrilled with the arms. Actually i hate how skinny they look. The RS photo's are good but waiting for Obtibotimus video review :impatient:

The pants are too baggy and he does seem a tiny bit tall but not a huge issue. The Shaw headsculpt does nothing for me. Not because it's bad but i would never use it. I would rather they didn't include it and cut the price a bit.

The base is very nice. The box is ok. I was hoping for a foldout magnet or more DX type.

He does look a hell of a lot better than ANH Vader. How far they have come!

I guess i'll be posing him something like this with the skinny arms hidden

http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-056.jpg

anwe
12-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Quick PS comparison. Hard to tell if they're scaled correctly because the feet peg of old vader was inside the boots.
Surely they have completely different proprotions.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w514/SithThundercracker/vadercomp_zps93e88c89.jpg

Yes they weren't as similar as I remembered. But hey, I remembered it was black. :yess:

But the arm and wrist area isn't that different and still the feeling of looking at pipe cleaners is apparent when looking at the new figure.

jade
12-13-2013, 06:55 AM
It looks good but I am not feeling the wow factor of $200+

Hologram AI
12-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Exactly how I feel at the moment. A bit of a underwhelming for some reason.
Not sure if I should cancel or not.

Sueikakyju
12-13-2013, 07:23 AM
looks good to me, it's definitely a nice revision of their original. I cannot wait to get mine. Just need some updated Stormtroopers released now.

CollectorGuy
12-13-2013, 07:41 AM
looks good to me, it's definitely a nice revision of their original. I cannot wait to get mine. Just need some updated Stormtroopers released now.

Im with you on this, you think those white clones with their phase 2 helmets would look good enough?

canadaclone
12-13-2013, 07:47 AM

They are coming....

So with all these pictures...is he being released yet?

TheFiend
12-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Hmm, so he's still too tall? I was hoping for a better body but honestly this new body looks to be the same height as my modified ANH body. I don't see a point in picking that up. Ill definitely be picking up the chest box and maybe the belt/cod piece for my Vader. Oh, and some hands too.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Great pics Dave. They have put to rest any fears I had about the hands being Hasbro-sized. I am liking the look of this figure. Can't wait to get it. One more flex to go! :yess:

galactiboy
12-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Wow, he looks incredible... I can really see a great deal of improvements over the ANH, subtle things, but meaningful ones. Only complaint is they did not adjust the height, he's still far too tall... but that's an easy fix.

He's still a bit too tall I think. Here come the mods. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/6umababy.jpg

What Stormtroopers are these? They kind of look like Sideshow (especially the feet) but the armor seems to fit a bit different and I've not seen any with the white strap for the shoulder bells?

Maybe a tease w/in a preview? Or maybe I'm crazy :lol

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 08:23 AM
They're the same troopers I think, its just that the stretchy bands for the shoulder armor has been stretched too much and is falling loose. Time to top stick those puppies to the shoulder Dave. :lol

galactiboy
12-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Yeah, probably right... what really stuck out to me was the white bands under the shoulder bells... neither the first release or the Han & Luke 2 pack have them.

galactiboy
12-13-2013, 08:26 AM
I have to say Sideshow really brought their A game on this one... aside from the height, the only other thing that seems a bit below Hot Toys would be the paint on the Anakin portrait... it's not bad, but looks a bit lackluster.

Still, overall I don't feel bad at dropping $250 on this one :rock

Staps1138
12-13-2013, 08:26 AM
They are coming....

So with all these pictures...is he being released yet?

Surely Sideshow will release a ROTJ Stormtrooper or just a 2.0 to go with this guy, they have to know that Stormtroopers will always do well, right?

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Do you mean the bicep armor with the black stripe? You may be right. Not sure what that is about.

lerath666
12-13-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm not thrilled with the arms. Actually i hate how skinny they look. The RS photo's are good but waiting for Obtibotimus video review :impatient:

The pants are too baggy and he does seem a tiny bit tall but not a huge issue. The Shaw headsculpt does nothing for me. Not because it's bad but i would never use it. I would rather they didn't include it and cut the price a bit.

The base is very nice. The box is ok. I was hoping for a foldout magnet or more DX type.

He does look a hell of a lot better than ANH Vader. How far they have come!

I guess i'll be posing him something like this with the skinny arms hidden

http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-056.jpg

PEWP...

The've made teh switch to medicom lightsabers. That kinda sucks.

Preference only, i prefer the older, thinner savers from earlier figures. They seemed better, and if this is anything like the "light baton" they gave Padawan Obi-wan, it's gonna be prone to warping.

SithThundercracker
12-13-2013, 08:31 AM
I've not seen any with the white strap for the shoulder bells?

Thy're not white straps, they're part of the biceps armor between the two black straps. :)

Edit: yeah, I'm late.

abake
12-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Awesone pics!
This new Vader is looking a lot better, but I'm not sure I need it.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

shockwave
12-13-2013, 08:36 AM
I like it and hopefully we will receive the fig in Jan(?)

I'm always nitpicky:monkey4

The chest armor seems to be the same size as ANH version?

Looking @ pics from the movie the chest armor s/b covering over the shoulder armor?

I may be too much :cuckoo:

galactiboy
12-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Thy're not white straps, they're part of the biceps armor between the two black straps. :)

Edit: yeah, I'm late.

:lol :lol :lol So they are... so either black on the armor, or just the strap is really low.

Nevermind... I shouldn't try to figure things out when I'm home sick from work :sick

TheFiend
12-13-2013, 08:53 AM
So, are you guys gonna switch out this body for the KP02 again? :lol

greygoose
12-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Awesone pics!
This new Vader is looking a lot better, but I'm not sure I need it.
You need it...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu5npbt2HM1r5hzqbo1_500.gif

anwe
12-13-2013, 09:03 AM
If you already have a modded (dome, cape, body) Vader the need is questionable. To get this one as good you will need more modding I think.

Jun A
12-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Already thinking how to give this figure a wash down with the electronics involved.

D. Martin
12-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Already thinking how to give this figure a wash down with the electronics involved.

I couldn't think of any reason to give this figure a water treatment...

Bo Shrek
12-13-2013, 10:15 AM
$250 is a crazy amount to spend on any figure but when I do (and have) I feel better knowing it has the Hot Toys label. SS charging this much has me a little uncomfortable like I am not getting the best of the best! I know we are going to hear comments like "Shaw sculpt is not HT quality but its OK". I want to hear head sculpt is AWESOME!!!!

I guess watching more youtube reviews will help me make my decision!!

greygoose
12-13-2013, 10:21 AM

Are there any up yet?

D. Martin
12-13-2013, 10:22 AM

I am. I'm even considering getting a second one for alternate displaying...

What Stormtroopers are these? They kind of look like Sideshow (especially the feet) but the armor seems to fit a bit different and I've not seen any with the white strap for the shoulder bells?

Maybe a tease w/in a preview? Or maybe I'm crazy :lol

No, not a tease… Just the ANH Stormtrooper for SSC. I never really cared for the Stormtrooper figure, so it spends most of its days in storage. I was sad to see the elastics on the bells seems to have given up the ghost. Perhaps elastic degradation? I dunno. Regardless, it went rich back into storage after shooting these pics.

They're the same troopers I think, its just that the stretchy bands for the shoulder armor has been stretched too much and is falling loose. Time to top stick those puppies to the shoulder Dave. :lol

I'd do it if I liked the Stormtrooper figure :)

galactiboy
12-13-2013, 11:12 AM
So, are you guys gonna switch out this body for the KP02 again? :lol

Maybe... really depends on how it looks in-hand. Might start by just cutting out a bit of the thighs or calves. The arms look a bit too thin, but that could easily be fixed with a bit of padding.

No, not a tease… Just the ANH Stormtrooper for SSC. I never really cared for the Stormtrooper figure, so it spends most of its days in storage. I was sad to see the elastics on the bells seems to have given up the ghost. Perhaps elastic degradation? I dunno. Regardless, it went rich back into storage after shooting these pics.

Mystery solved :lol

franciscoliger
12-13-2013, 11:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ThBPpLMU8fc (http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ThBPpLMU8fc)

DiFabio
12-13-2013, 11:32 AM
I think a little bit of cotton in the arms and legs will go a long way. I think this figure looks fantastic, especially the mask, helmets and lights.

Hot Toys Luke with this guy seems like the ultimate display.

Mad Old Lu
12-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Crap crap crappity crap crap!

I wasn't planning on getting this Vader since I have the ANH one, but the pictures are twisting my arm! :mad:

franciscoliger
12-13-2013, 11:44 AM
:impatient:

steveo
12-13-2013, 11:51 AM

The Vader on the right looks like he's ready to give a prostate exam.

Punisher75
12-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Ok well i never much paid any attention to vaders cod piece throughout the SW films, i guess if thats how its supposed to be then ok.
Nice custom vader there i wish i could get some storm troopers, why hasn't SSC remade those guys?

The pic I posted was of the real Vader with troopers not a figure ;)

lerath666
12-13-2013, 12:27 PM
$250 is a crazy amount to spend on any figure but when I do (and have) I feel better knowing it has the Hot Toys label. SS charging this much has me a little uncomfortable like I am not getting the best of the best! I know we are going to hear comments like "Shaw sculpt is not HT quality but its OK". I want to hear head sculpt is AWESOME!!!!

Yup, becuase hot toys allways makes solid gold, perfect likeness, right?

http://www.mwctoys.com/images/georgec.jpg

Bo Shrek
12-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Wow....how far back did you have to go to "prove your point"!!:cuckoo:

Invictus Sol
12-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Agreed that Lucas is pretty far back and no longer representative of HT's work, but they still do have some dogs (any Tony Stark, or proto Ruffalo, for example). When they're on their A game, though, like with DX-13 or Mandarin, they're unbeatable. That said, I think Vader looks great and overall $250 is a reasonable price for everything we're getting in the release.

abake
12-13-2013, 01:21 PM
I wonder if I can port all of the ANH gear on to the ESB/ROTJ body and boots...
The proportions look better and the two-piece boots will make posing a lot better.

RavenEye
12-13-2013, 01:25 PM
It comes... with 2 helmets a lit up stand, and rest.. what isnt $250 about it?!

lerath666
12-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Wow....how far back did you have to go to "prove your point"!!:cuckoo:

that IS my point. anything EARLIER than Padawan obiwan is no longer representitive of sideshow's human sculpts. And as soon as Wolfe comes out, Same thing.

Much like hot toys since their early work, sideshow has Dramaticly stepped up their game as well.

Want a more recent example?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Hot-Toys-IRON-MAN-MARK-III-1-6-Tony-Stark-Figure-HEAD-/00/s/NDQyWDQzOA==/z/sMUAAMXQ855Ro6sM/$(KGrHqZ,!lwFGYDgPzIMBRo6sLop5g~~60_35.JPG

It dosn't show in pictures, but obi-wan even has skin texture. the gap is rapidly closing.

point being?

Hot toys is not some magical "best of the best". other companies have some real jems, and this vader loks to be one of them.

Racetrack
12-13-2013, 01:26 PM

To be fair that figure is from 2000 when they first started making figures.

lerath666
12-13-2013, 01:35 PM
See previous post.

Invictus Sol
12-13-2013, 01:40 PM
...Hot toys is not some magical "best of the best". other companies have some real jems, and this vader loks to be one of them.
Sort of agree and disagree. Yes, other companies have some gems but no-one knocks it out of the park so consistently as HT and no-one is close to their manufacturing know-how when it comes to characters like Iron Monger or ED-209. It'll be interesting to see how Sideshow does with Raynor. If it comes out as good as Monger, that'll be a real coup for them.

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Hot Toys has a major advantage over other countries for one simple reason: They are able to communicate with the production factories in Chinese with no liaison.

greygoose
12-13-2013, 01:42 PM
If Hot Toys did ever make a Vader, it'd be a DX and cost well over the $300 mark and still have flaws.

snoop101
12-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Sort of agree and disagree. Yes, other companies have some gems but no-one knocks it out of the park so consistently as HT and no-one is close to their manufacturing know-how when it comes to characters like Iron Monger or ED-209. It'll be interesting to see how Sideshow does with Raynor. If it comes out as good as Monger, that'll be a real coup for them.

Agreed.:goodpost:

Cingen
12-13-2013, 01:49 PM
To be honest, this vader is close to perfect for me. I am not a person who compares figures to screencaps, I am happy with around 90% resemblance. Just no obvious mistakes and I am more than satisfied. And really, for someone like me I don't see how Hot Toys can improve this figure. The likeness is there, all that could ruin it for me is bad quality or paint applications and things in that league.

lerath666
12-13-2013, 01:54 PM

I'll give you most of that. but they DO have their misses as well as hits.

Luke bespin, and Indy come to mind. The pending Bruce baner is a little off too.

Nothing wrong with that, I just get tierd of the Hot toys cheering section going on and on and on and on about how everything they touch is sooo muuuch bettar than everyone else by nature of being HT.

Hot toys BIGGEST advantage, is that they're willing to experiment with new ideas, and we see those ideas being carried over by other companies.

THAT SAID, the new Luke, for example is unsing the NEW SIDESHOW method, where the head, Eyes, and hair are different parts. Similar to PERS, Except the eyes don't move. As such, they don't need to be oversized to accomidate a mechanisim.

Not to say this method isnt without risks too, but untill we see Wolfe, we won't know which way it fell.

snoop101
12-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Sure HT has their misses, but they also release WAY more 1/6 figures than any other company.

DiFabio
12-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Until we see a Hot Toys Vader (which will never happen), there's no reason to compare. What makes people so sure that Hot Toys could do this Vader better? Not all of their Iron Man figures look like the real deal. The DX 12 was down right odd. Etc.

Every company has made some expensive, goofy looking figures.

lerath666
12-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Sure HT has their misses, but they also release WAY more 1/6 figures than any other company.

... you sure about that?

i mean, they certianly make more batman and Iron man figures, but in general, I'm not so sure.

lerath666
12-13-2013, 02:26 PM
:exactly:
not like theres multiple companies making Bruce Banner or others in 1/6th...there are none unless you go custom and 99.9% of custom figures I personally don't like plus they are usually double the cost of HTs....Only one i ever liked was the Adam/Kato Joker. which costs what, like over $1000+

people act like theres other stuff out there thats better....but there just isnt...HTs does amazing ground breaking work for 1/6 figures. If you dont like their products, dont buy em. spend your money getting more expensive custom figures made, and most don't have the craftsmanship. Look at Big Chief who has the popular license of Dr. Who. They are not even close to the quality of HTs and they are same price range for the most part.

And not like theres other companies taking on Zod and the amazing and highly detailed armor he wears. There is no one else.

Enterbay is good, but they don't make the same characters as HTs. Sometimes they do like T2 or TDK, but its not like EB is making the entire Avengers team or Thor 2 figures....all we have is HTs.

I think its cool to give a critique if you think something is off, and sometimes they do their best to fix things based off feedback, but overall no one touches HT in mass producing 1/6 figures...not in price, not in design.

Personally I collect these for the love of the characters and the movies. If they arent 110% percent perfect, its fine because i know over time they will get better. But even my older ones like the first Batman Begins I still love. not the best sculpt likeness in the world, but its was a lot of fun getting him at the time, and still think its a nice figure even though they have gotten better over the years.

Stop right there.

Do you have teh Big chief Doctor who figures?

I Do.

and they are NOT the same price as hot toys, unless you buy direct from BCS and import.

BBTS has them for 170-190 roughly.

and let me tell you, the tailoring and sculpting on the newest two is DEFINITELY up there with hot toys.

HOWEVER, i'd say the actor likeness are STARTELINGLY good. the quality of the David Tennant Doctor's tailoring is as good as just about any Hot toys piece I've got. And he has what is without a doubt the NICEST 1/6th Coat I've ever seen.

Are they The same level of quality or equal too?

Not completely. the sculpts lack the skin texturing that hot toys is so famous for, as an example.
But they are CLOSE on their heels.

I AM, however, in agreement with you on most customs. :lol

Yes, HT innovate and push, but there are other companies who are close behinsd them.

as for price, Personaly, I feel Sideshow charges what HOt toys SHOULD be charging, and Sideshow whould be in the 150$ range on the HIGH end. but that's just my opinion.

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 02:38 PM
One detail I don't recall anyone bringing up that I only just noticed myself. The actual helmet head (the non reveal) has a dummy-Anakin head inside.

How cool is that? :rock

http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-032.jpg

DiFabio
12-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I really loved that detail. I thought that was a great touch.

I wish Vader was as messed up as he was envisioned in Empire Strikes Back. That would have been a cool exclusive head to include, sort of like the Concept Boba Fett.

"When the captain comes in and Vader is sitting in his capsule with his back towards us, all you see are scars on the back of his neck for a second. I didn't want the audience to see anything else. I imagined that beneath the mask Vader was hideous; his mouth was cut away and he had one eye hanging low." - Irvin Kershner

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/unmaskdrawing.jpg

lerath666
12-13-2013, 02:51 PM
I dont own them, but ive seen them in my LCS plenty of times. I think they are good figures, but not HTs level. And from the pix of the Amy figure ive seen, i think they struggled with that one.

I just dont think anyone is close to HTs because they get certain character licenses that no one else gets at 1/6. Most of the characters they make you can't really compare it to anything else. Theres no other 1/6 Loki, Black Widow, Banner, Catwoman, etc etc.....

The fans push HTs and the other companies to keep getting better. I just wish there was a way to do it where there was less arguing. But i guess you can't really avoid that. Just sometimes people say things that sound just so hateful. Not everyone, but some do and it gets annoying.

I mean there is nothing wrong with people loving HTs. Why do some people get upset at others who enjoy them? If you think something is off, fine....but some just sound like they want HTs to fail. Makes no sense to me...

11 and Amy, i agree with you.
Though considering 11 was the first figure BCS ever made, it was amazingly good.

10 and 4, Are LIGHT YEARS better than those two.

I DO get what you're saying, but you've got to rermember, most of those liscenses are EXCLUSIVE. meaning that, as long as Hot toys has said liscense, NO ONE ELSE can do them. So saying that it's better becuase of character choice isn't exactly fair.

By that reasoning, Sideshow is automaticly superior JUST BECUASE of Star Wars. :lol

And I do get get your saying. There are alot of haters out there. My only beef is there are too many rose colored glasses as well. :D

accept the good and the bad, don't just take the "they can do no wrong" viewpoint.

FLOSI
12-13-2013, 02:54 PM
http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-041.jpg

I NEED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

greygoose
12-13-2013, 02:57 PM
http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-041.jpg

I NEED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some shots just seal the deal and this is one of them.:rock

FLOSI
12-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Now, if you guys really want something to complain about, take a look at this:

http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-053.jpg

Natrix
12-13-2013, 02:58 PM

You mean Monger with cracking hips and ED-209 with the rotting rubber dome? :lol

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah it would seem they really did nothing to change the height. :(

There. Done complaining. :D

snoop101
12-13-2013, 03:00 PM
... you sure about that?

i mean, they certianly make more batman and Iron man figures, but in general, I'm not so sure.

Yep.

______

FLOSI
12-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Yeah, that is a little crappy.... Still, this is a couple small mods away from being PERFECT!! Are you buying this Marc or are you going to cancel and go with the Cowboy Tony Stark?:lol

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I have one remaining flex pay and he is 100% paid for. :yess:

(no Iron Man in MY collection). :D

FLOSI
12-13-2013, 03:06 PM
I have one remaining flex pay and he is 100% paid for. :yess:

(no Iron Man in MY collection). :D

Hey now! What's with the capital "MY".... :lol I only have one. :lecture

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 03:07 PM
:lol

Get me an HT Anakin and we can talk about forgiving the one IM in your collection. :P

EVILFACE
12-13-2013, 03:18 PM

I wish Vader was as messed up as he was envisioned in Empire Strikes Back. That would have been a cool exclusive head to include, sort of like the Concept Boba Fett.

"When the captain comes in and Vader is sitting in his capsule with his back towards us, all you see are scars on the back of his neck for a second. I didn't want the audience to see anything else. I imagined that beneath the mask Vader was hideous; his mouth was cut away and he had one eye hanging low." - Irvin Kershner

Jason Voorhees as Darth Vader!

But yea, instead we get puffy pasty crusty old dude. :cuckoo:

One detail I don't recall anyone bringing up that I only just noticed myself. The actual helmet head (the non reveal) has a dummy-Anakin head inside.

http://www.rebelscum.com/Sideshow-Collectibles-SSC/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles/Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-032.jpg

It is a nice touch. Will wait till someone cracks it open so we can see what it looks like.

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I would assume it's just a bland head like the Leia as Boussh was. Hopefully someone cracks theirs open to satisfy the curiosity. :lol

Mr Walker
12-13-2013, 03:48 PM
I actually think the suit on the ANH version looks a little better, material wise.

DiFabio
12-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Jason Voorhees as Darth Vader!

But yea, instead we get puffy pasty crusty old dude. :cuckoo:

Don't forget the marshmallow skin and thick, black eyebrows! Yeah, what we actually got was pretty disappointing. :lol

I love that description too of him missing a mouth and the hanging eye. I can almost picture him looking like that in Empire with that puss swollen, gouged noggin. Too bad.

That'd be awesome if someone cracked it open and it had a nightmarish Voorhees concept looking Vader inside.

Lejuan
12-13-2013, 04:03 PM
As a casual fan it's interesting to see people so excited about this. I have the ANH version and the improvements seem to me so marginal as to be not worth the expense.

Invictus Sol
12-13-2013, 04:10 PM

That was my initial take on Vader, too, when watching ESB. Really imagined something closer to what's pictured (Voorhees Vader, like EVIL mentions). Too bad because it would've been kind of cool if he'd been more horrifically injured.

You mean Monger with cracking hips and ED-209 with the rotting rubber dome? :lol
I take it you don't have a Monger in-hand because the cracks are a non-issue for most (never would've noticed them if I hadn't been reading the Monger thread at the time) and the ED-209 cracking dome is from the previous release way back when. Guessing that will have been fixed for the new release. Anyway, it's sort of pointless as others could bring up a myriad of SSC QC problems but it doesn't prove **** all. *shrugs*

Lord Piper
12-13-2013, 04:26 PM
apologies if this was previously covered but has anyone transferred the older vader onto a different body, like say a TT, to remedy the height issue? thanks in advance.

Lejuan
12-13-2013, 04:45 PM
apologies if this was previously covered but has anyone transferred the older vader onto a different body, like say a TT, to remedy the height issue? thanks in advance.

I think King Darkness was the first to port over the costume to a KP02 body. Looked fantastic. There are pics around someplace, probably in the ANH thread.

Edit: here it is

I put my ANH Vader on a Kaustic body a while back, I think it gives him a good height and size, without being ridicoulus like the Sideshow body.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KingDarkness07/P1180473.jpg

Boba Ben
12-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Hey now! What's with the capital "MY".... :lol I only have one. :lecture

Which one?

I think I might keep my ANH uncustomized now. It'll keep their giant height consistent in my display.

shocktrooper_au
12-13-2013, 06:06 PM
The height issue hasn't really bothered me, but with plans for the to be displayed with the dx Luke I may have an issue, though he might just stand next the emperor on the throne for a while

RavenEye
12-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Found a inaccuracy, nobs are missing on back of neck. :(

Invictus Sol
12-13-2013, 06:17 PM
*queue "Not sure if serious" photo*

I think it was mentioned previously that those details were never on the screen-used costume but only specifically in scenes where Vader had his helmet removed. Plus on display, when would one ever have it at such an angle that it would be apparent? Can't recall, at the moment, but are those details present on the display mask? Can't remember if the back is missing from that or not. Too lazy to check. :P

Matt S
12-13-2013, 06:21 PM

So, did they just plain lie about the adjustment in height? ANH vader is way too tall...I dunno about this one anymore

Invictus Sol
12-13-2013, 06:26 PM
The height thing is inexplicable. Especially when they took so much heat for it on the ANH version and they were specifically asked whether that would be corrected on this one and answered affirmatively. That said, it may not bother me in-hand and I'm OK doing the mod if it's absolutely required.

pixletwin
12-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Found a inaccuracy, nobs are missing on back of neck. :(

Wrong actually. The suit only had nobs at the back when they were shooting a reveal scene (Vaders meditation chamber and Death of Vader).

Technically they should be there though, so I get what you mean. But it is accurate to the actual costume in that respect.

LoveMinusZero
12-13-2013, 07:41 PM
The height thing is inexplicable. Especially when they took so much heat for it on the ANH version and they were specifically asked whether that would be corrected on this one and answered affirmatively. That said, it may not bother me in-hand and I'm OK doing the mod if it's absolutely required.

Yeah, this is strange. They acknowledged that he was too tall and that they were correcting it, but then they produce a new body and he's essentially the same size. It wouldn't bother me so much if the best bodies for replacement, the KP-02, weren't so hard to find and expensive.

Invictus Sol
12-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I can totally see that would be a sticking point for a lot of people. It kind of is for me, but the piece is otherwise so nicely done and of such a great character, that I'm willing to overlook it (even if I display him kneeling or on his own to hide the height *grits teeth in anger* :P). Understandable if it's a deal-breaker for others, though.

LoveMinusZero
12-13-2013, 07:57 PM
It's not necessarily a dealbreaker for me, I still want it, but man is it frustrating. Collecting is already becoming a hobby only for the rich, so having to search and pay for expensive replacement bodies can be the last straw for some people. Especially when it's something Sideshow said they knew about and were fixing.

bloodgear
12-13-2013, 08:00 PM
They will pay. Just don't buy :)

LoveMinusZero
12-13-2013, 08:02 PM
http://youtu.be/jyDbfCbQnH8?t=7s

They will make us pay for what they've done

demorathis
12-13-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm liking it...so far it's the best licensed 1/6 figure on the market...even if the dome is a bit off, it passes for dead on in many shots...the cape n tunic are great...apparently the extra line on the cod piece is accurate to the Rotj costume...good work, commander.

Invictus Sol
12-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Ah, praise from Caesar. Good to hear your thoughts on it, demorathis.

Matt S
12-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Body used for this looks way way way too skinny. Body is drowning in the armor...

Honestly SSC, WTF is with the base body? Contemplating cancellation...How can Marmit still have had the better Vader ten years ago and on their first attempt?

Invictus Sol
12-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Don't see the drowning at all. A bit loose to allow posability, yes. Drowning... no.

Natrix
12-13-2013, 09:59 PM
I take it you don't have a Monger in-hand because the cracks are a non-issue for most (never would've noticed them if I hadn't been reading the Monger thread at the time) and the ED-209 cracking dome is from the previous release way back when. Guessing that will have been fixed for the new release. Anyway, it's sort of pointless as others could bring up a myriad of SSC QC problems but it doesn't prove **** all. *shrugs*

I have both of those figures. Thanks for trying to dismiss my points though. You were the one that was saying how great their manufacturing know all was on those figures. Like some others, I am tired of everyone sucking off Hot Toys as the end all be all when they have just as many QC issues as other manufacturers.

VintijDroidGutzz
12-13-2013, 10:01 PM
..it's interesting to see people so excited about this. I have the ANH version and the improvements seem to me so marginal as to be not worth the expense.
I agree man.

I won't go on about it, but there's too much on this new version that I don't like the look of. Them not correcting the height for starters, is ridiculous. The body's too thin. The bodysuit on the previous version is better as mentioned earlier. The dome still isn't right.. etc.

I think the best option for me at this stage, is to just take my time & make a custom that I'll be 100% happy with. :duff

gothamcityboy
12-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Still waiting for the review from mr.optibotimus... :-|

shocktrooper_au
12-13-2013, 11:51 PM
There's a thread for it all ready

Racetrack
12-14-2013, 12:50 AM
How would you guys go about modding the bulk of the arms and the bunching at the top of the pants (without replacing the body?).

shocktrooper_au
12-14-2013, 01:18 AM
Probably just stripping the body and wrapping those parts up with cotton ***** or using an apoxie to sculpt something more permanent for the hip I'd pack it will cotton wool which won't restrict movement too much

reuters
12-14-2013, 01:51 AM

I NEED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

This pose has just made me to consider ordering the 3rd Vader! :clap

devilof76
12-14-2013, 03:40 AM
They look similar in height in the back-to-back picture, but the new one looks shorter in the side-by-side shot.

shocktrooper_au
12-14-2013, 03:57 AM
Shoulders are slightly lower about a cm from what I can tell.

cking
12-14-2013, 05:07 AM
What a missed opportunity.
It looks clumsy and awkward. The body is still way too tall. The KP02 body is perfect in height and bulk. Why couldn't Sideshow have produced something comparable to that?
The mask and dome look too small for the body.
The mouthpiece on the mask doesn't slope back at the correct angle and is really bugging me (they got it right on the ANH version so how could they screw it up on this one???).
The shoulder pads are horribly shaped. (Luckily the cape covers them up for the most part). Suit looks "cheap" compared to ANH. Dome is still way off (can't believe Hasbro got the dome much better proportioned in their attempt and Sideshow have messed it up both times so far).

In a nutshell, it saddens me to think that customisation is still required to get this looking correct. This thing should have been much better straight out of the box. :slap

Here's my ANH which uses the KPO2 body, LForigno cape and robes and Hasbro dome. The result (at least in my opinion) - a much more accurately proportioned looking Vader who doesn't make the Troopers or Imperial Officer figures look like little kids next to him!

If we, as fans can get our ANH Vader's looking like this, why can't Sideshow learn from their mistakes and give us a more accurate figure - especially considering the massive resources that they have, not to mention access to Lucasfilm reference pics etc, etc? Having said that, you only need to look at the commonly available reference pics or even just look at the movies themselves to realise that their latest offering doesn't look as good as it could and SHOULD have been.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/cking-photos/cking-custom-ANH-Stormtrooper-and-Darth-Vader_zpscedcc7fc.jpg

egel
12-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Hmm, I will probably end up getting the Deluxe Vader at some point. Not right now, I don't think the price is in proportion to what it improves.

But I am keeping the original Vader as well for my ANH shelf. Still have to get a Hasbro dome. Could someone please provide which version I should get? Don't want to buy one to find out I can't use its dome.

LoveMinusZero
12-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Any of the old Hasbro 12" Vaders will work. The one that doesn't is the new ep3 Anakin to Vader figure.

abake
12-14-2013, 08:22 AM
What a missed opportunity.
It looks clumsy and awkward. The body is still way too tall. The KP02 body is perfect in height and bulk. Why couldn't Sideshow have produced something comparable to that?
The mask and dome look too small for the body.
The mouthpiece on the mask doesn't slope back at the correct angle and is really bugging me (they got it right on the ANH version so how could they screw it up on this one???).
The shoulder pads are horribly shaped. (Luckily the cape covers them up for the most part). Suit looks "cheap" compared to ANH. Dome is still way off (can't believe Hasbro got the dome much better proportioned in their attempt and Sideshow have messed it up both times so far).

In a nutshell, it saddens me to think that customisation is still required to get this looking correct. This thing should have been much better straight out of the box. :slap

Here's my ANH which uses the KPO2 body, LForigno cape and robes and Hasbro dome. The result (at least in my opinion) - a much more accurately proportioned looking Vader who doesn't make the Troopers or Imperial Officer figures look like little kids next to him!

If we, as fans can get our ANH Vader's looking like this, why can't Sideshow learn from their mistakes and give us a more accurate figure - especially considering the massive resources that they have, not to mention access to Lucasfilm reference pics etc, etc? Having said that, you only need to look at the commonly available reference pics or even just look at the movies themselves to realise that their latest offering doesn't look as good as it could and SHOULD have been.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/cking-photos/cking-custom-ANH-Stormtrooper-and-Darth-Vader_zpscedcc7fc.jpg

Damn I love the look if the Marmit Stormtroopers!

As for Vader, I still have an extra KP02 lying around, I'm tempted to do the mod...

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

VintijDroidGutzz
12-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Any of the old Hasbro 12" Vaders will work. The one that doesn't is the new ep3 Anakin to Vader figure.
Cheers for the info!

I was thinking of getting that figure just for the dome & misc bits.. :lol

Bo Shrek
12-14-2013, 08:51 AM
How many YouTube reviews are there of this? Also does the silent guy show SS figures as well?

greygoose
12-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Are a lot of people still on the fence about this figure then?

Invictus Sol
12-14-2013, 10:10 AM
How many YouTube reviews are there of this? Also does the silent guy show SS figures as well?
Think so far there is only Optibotimus' video review and D. Martin's photos at Rebelscum.

Silent guy I am pretty sure only flips HT, though it kinda seems unnecessary to get his take since Optibotimus did essentially the same thing (except with commentary). He took the figure direct from the box with no futzing, so not sure what silent guy would add that you haven't already seen from Optibotimus.

Matt S
12-14-2013, 10:23 AM

I wasn't until the review....base body seems subpar. Not a homerun; not sure if even a double.

Invictus Sol
12-14-2013, 10:40 AM
I have both of those figures. Thanks for trying to dismiss my points though. You were the one that was saying how great their manufacturing know all was on those figures. Like some others, I am tired of everyone sucking off Hot Toys as the end all be all when they have just as many QC issues as other manufacturers.
I never said that they were perfect (e.g., ASM release looks to be riddled with problems), only that if you want figures like Iron Monger, ED-209 or Iron Whiplash, then HT is the only game in town. At this time, SSC isn't even capable of manufacturing stuff like that.

jordanlarocque88
12-14-2013, 10:49 AM
It's a nice fig. Love the light up effects, but for $245 and considering all the other batman related releases this year , I'll stick with medi vader. Got him up to 13" tall. ...only cost me .99 cents in pens from the dollar store !:yess:

Boba Ben
12-14-2013, 10:50 AM
I never said that they were perfect (e.g., ASM release looks to be riddled with problems), only that if you want figures like Iron Monger, ED-209 or Iron Whiplash, then HT is the only game in town. At this time, SSC isn't even capable of manufacturing stuff like that.

Well they are making those Starcraft guys in the mech suits, but they're $500 as well.

Invictus Sol
12-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Yep, I mentioned earlier that if they end-up pulling those guys off, that will be a major development for them, for sure. Just so far they have not even attempted characters like that. Hopefully it is a big success and they have reason to pursue similarly complicated designs in future.

Bo Shrek
12-14-2013, 11:03 AM

That's me. Need to see more reviews as I am not sold. And the reason I am not sold is $250

Matt S
12-14-2013, 11:20 AM
That's me. Need to see more reviews as I am not sold. And the reason I am not sold is $250

Same here; at double the price of the ANH version, I am not seeing double the quality. Sure, the accessories are awesome, but if the main figure is lacking, then the accessories won't sell it for me alone

greygoose
12-14-2013, 11:23 AM

Same here; at double the price of the ANH version, I am not seeing double the quality. Sure, the accessories are awesome, but if the main figure is lacking, then the accessories won't sell it for me alone

It's a shame to see that people aren't fully happy with this figure. The hefty price tag doesn't help either.

LoveMinusZero
12-14-2013, 11:26 AM
It is a shame. It's also a shame Sideshow seems to have improved very little from the Vader they released 4 years ago, yet they want 250 dollars.

I want the figure, I want a great Vader, but I'm not sure how to feel about this figure.

Matt S
12-14-2013, 11:41 AM
It is a shame. It's also a shame Sideshow seems to have improved very little from the Vader they released 4 years ago, yet they want 250 dollars.

I want the figure, I want a great Vader, but I'm not sure how to feel about this figure.

I agree...is it really that hard to make a decent body fit the armor, then have all the armor to be the right size?

SSC charges HT prices, but they aint HT level

Invictus Sol
12-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Personally I think even with its flaws it's nicer than the customs I've seen going at double the price (especially in regards to chest piece - molding and paint apps often looks sloppy there). Really I think in-hand and with a little work it will be a great figure. I had a lot of criticisms of the prototype but this is better in almost every way.

Cingen
12-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Are there any pictures of this vader standing next to Hot Toys Luke floating around by any chance? This will be my first Vader and I want to see how big an issue the height may be.. A picture of the previous Vader next to DX Luke will be okay too I guess just so I see a worst case scenario.

Invictus Sol
12-14-2013, 12:18 PM
No pics w/HT Luke, oddly (you'd kinda think that would be the first thing a lot of people would do). Website lists Vader as 13.5" tall (which in 1:6 scale would be about 6.75', so that should be about right, shouldn't it?). I thought the ANH version was 14", but I might be incorrect on that.

Edit: Just Googled quickly and at least on the site I went to, Prowse in costume is listed as being 6.75'. So it sounds as though Sideshow actually does have the scale right, assuming 12" = 6'.

Sulla9
12-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Methinks that HT Snake Eyes retaliation padding under the bodysuit will complement this guy quite nicely.