PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Deak Starkiller
06-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Why haven't they shown the full on Shaw portrait?

kl241
06-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Why haven't they shown the full on Shaw portrait?

Because it looks nothing like Shaw.

Deak Starkiller
06-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I can't argue with that. Lame stand, small chest box and useless lights are kind of annoying. Plus the sculpt will never see the light of day on my shelf. Here's hoping they tweak it a bit before the final release. Hey at least I didn't cry about the price, right?

kl241
06-03-2013, 06:17 PM
I'd rather pay $400 for a diecast Robocop that talks then $250 for a sub-par Vader that will require an instant $60 body upgrade out-of-the-box, a Hasbro dome swap, an idealized Anakin portrait that looks nothing like any of the actors that have played him and other tweaks to make look accurate. :huh

Deak Starkiller
06-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Oh, Robocop is ordered. I love HT and SSC but like others have said, they want HT prices they better deliver HT quality. But I'm sure they'll fall short.

Boba Ben
06-03-2013, 06:44 PM
I'll complain about prices. It's what I doooooo.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DuyoWoKAOnI/Rh8CnCjGPmI/AAAAAAAAABM/1wrzSIrWOQU/s400/batman%2Bdefined.jpg

VintijDroidGutzz
06-03-2013, 07:39 PM
You guys should really (REALLY) go rent Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It's in my top 5 of favorite movies. Absolutely one of Spielbeg's best, smartest, awe-inspiring movies he's ever done, and definitely better than most of his later films. And don't let the groovy 70s fashion or any other superficial stuff get in the way. The Douglas Trumbull effects are magical, and John Williams's score is phenomenal.
Dude! :(

That's one of the best things about the film - the era it was made in!!! :rock

The 70s is my absolute fave decade from the 20th century. :cool:

Invictus Sol
06-03-2013, 07:46 PM
I'd rather pay $400 for a diecast Robocop that talks then $250 for a sub-par Vader that will require an instant $60 body upgrade out-of-the-box, a Hasbro dome swap, an idealized Anakin portrait that looks nothing like any of the actors that have played him and other tweaks to make look accurate. :huh
Yep, this is how I feel. RoboCop doesn't even compete for me in comparison to Star Wars but I just cannot see what my $250.00 is buying with this figure. Robo and ED-209, on the other hand, look magnificent, so have become must-buys. Sure hope SSC gets their stuff together with this release but have a feeling it's not going to happen.

Lejuan
06-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Somebody posted a gif from that video in response to a member who was posting stuff that a lot of people were having trouble understanding.

'cept the gif didn't come from the prison booty clip, it came from the clip Vintij posted - dunno why we got the booty, and I wouldn't mind unseeing it if I could :lol

Boba Ben
06-03-2013, 07:49 PM
'cept the gif didn't come from the prison booty clip, it came from the clip Vintij posted - dunno why we got the booty, and I wouldn't mind unseeing it if I could :lol

Really? Thankfully, I never clicked on the youtube video.

VintijDroidGutzz
06-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Yeah.. it's strange when things get confused on the internet - that hardly ever happens. :monkey1

:lol

Anthrapoid
06-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I'd rather pay $400 for a diecast Robocop that talks then $250 for a sub-par Vader that will require an instant $60 body upgrade out-of-the-box, a Hasbro dome swap, an idealized Anakin portrait that looks nothing like any of the actors that have played him and other tweaks to make look accurate. :huhI think this figure will be tightened-up a bit before release. If not, I already have the Hasbro talking Vader, so I can use the helmet if needed. I think people are freaking out about the new Vader body too soon; Remember the figure is 13.5" tall, so it will also be more bulky overall than the average 12" SS figure. If the head sculpt is devoid of true nostalgic 'Anakin appeal', the Hasbro Anakin head sculpt is surprisingly pretty damned good. With a skilled repaint and the removal of the vinyl 'chin tubes', it would replace the SS head nicely.
In my own case, I won't have to spend an extra dime for the upgrades, so I PO'd Robo & Ed both.

If there is a demand here, I could easily make a mold of this head (after removing the chin tubes, and adding some accurate surface detail in some areas) and recast it in white resin to sell.http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2936/darthhasbro.jpg

kl241
06-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Sad that Hasbro got more right on their $50 Vader than Sideshow can on a $250 Vader. The Prometheus body is the worst body on the market. Even at 14" it doesn't have Dave Prowse's build. Look how baggy that licorice suit looks on the SSC figure. You're gonna want to port him over to a KP-02, TTM-20 or another 3rd party muscle body right off the bat. That's inexcusable for a $250 figure.

devilof76
06-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Have you even seen that $50 Vader? :dunno

kl241
06-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Have you even seen that $50 Vader? :dunno

I have it in the attic somewhere.

devilof76
06-03-2013, 11:06 PM
You might want to refresh your memory.

And, wait...that thing really cost $50??? And you bought it?

Anthrapoid
06-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Sad that Hasbro got more right on their $50 Vader than Sideshow can on a $250 Vader. The Prometheus body is the worst body on the market. Even at 14" it doesn't have Dave Prowse's build. Look how baggy that licorice suit looks on the SSC figure. You're gonna want to port him over to a KP-02, TTM-20 or another 3rd party muscle body right off the bat. That's inexcusable for a $250 figure.I understand the indignation, but you're seriously overestimating the Hasbro version. The Hasbro Vader suit is a mess. The chest box is soft vinyl and warps against the curvature of the body. The hands are like huge catcher's mitts. the codpiece is thin and flimsy, and WAY too shiny- and the boots have a matte finish when they SHOULD be shiny. The belt is out of scale and looks like... well, vinyl. Out of the box, the helmet sat MUCH too high upon the head, so I had to fix that. Also, the bottom flat line of the 'mouth triangle' jutted out way too far, reaching to the same point of protrusion as the two silver 'tusks', and I had to fix that too. The upper arm muscles were so thick, the arm movement was practically zero, so I had to thin them down.
SS is improving gradually, but their quality hasn't yet risen to justify a HT price point. I'm buying this figure, because I can make it much better. I just wish SS would pay me to do it...

CollectorGuy
06-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Yeah im thinking hard as to wether or not i really want this that bad.
Im a SW fan but i dont have every single thing sw i just buy the ones i like.
I have never owned anything DV before and i dont know if this will be a justifiable 250.
250 is high even by HT standards and you usually get something premo for that much.
What is SS charging the extra 100 for the lighted stand!

kl241
06-03-2013, 11:52 PM
I understand the indignation, but you're seriously overestimating the Hasbro version. The Hasbro Vader suit is a mess. The chest box is soft vinyl and warps against the curvature of the body. The hands are like huge catcher's mitts. the codpiece is thin and flimsy, and WAY too shiny- and the boots have a matte finish when they SHOULD be shiny. The belt is out of scale and looks like... well, vinyl. Out of the box, the helmet sat MUCH too high upon the head, so I had to fix that. Also, the bottom flat line of the 'mouth triangle' jutted out way too far, reaching to the same point of protrusion as the two silver 'tusks', and I had to fix that too. The upper arm muscles were so thick, the arm movement was practically zero, so I had to thin them down.
SS is improving gradually, but their quality hasn't yet risen to justify a HT price point. I'm buying this figure, because I can make it much better. I just wish SS would pay me to do it...

Dude I was talking about the Shaw head. Sure, the paint is horrible but could be repainted and it looks better than Sideshow's non-descript Anakin. Plus the Hasbro dome is superior. Everything else is garbage.

Back then the only 1:6 Vader around was the pipe-dream Marmit.

Anthrapoid
06-04-2013, 12:27 AM
You said this: "Sad that Hasbro got more right on their $50 Vader than Sideshow can on a $250 Vader."
That's why I replied as i did.

kl241
06-04-2013, 01:35 AM
You said this: "Sad that Hasbro got more right on their $50 Vader than Sideshow can on a $250 Vader."
That's why I replied as i did.

Yeah Hasbro can sculpt the Shawnikin likeness and helmet right. Key details Sideshow got wrong on a $250 dollar figure.

LoveMinusZero
06-04-2013, 02:33 AM
You guys have to stop buying these figures if you ever want Sideshow to change. Everyone's complaining but Sideshow will still sell every single one they make, so the complaints are meaningless. They want Hot Toys prices now, but have still failed to listen to any of the issues from the first Vader, besides the height. They dont care what we say, they care what we buy.

I know lots of guys on here like to add to and mod figures etc, but for figures in this price range, it's outrageous.

devilof76
06-04-2013, 02:39 AM
It's an atrocity. :lecture

I've been saying that complaining is meaningless for a long time...a long time.

Anthrapoid
06-04-2013, 02:59 AM
You guys have to stop buying these figures if you ever want Sideshow to change. Everyone's complaining but Sideshow will still sell every single one they make, so the complaints are meaningless. They want Hot Toys prices now, but have still failed to listen to any of the issues from the first Vader, besides the height. They dont care what we say, they care what we buy.

I know lots of guys on here like to add to and mod figures etc, but for figures in this price range, it's outrageous.If I'm not happy with any figure when it's in hand, I can always sell it on the dark side of ebay a year from now and make a better profit margin than SS. If it's high quality, it's a treasure of nostalgia that I will own until I die. If it's poor quality, it becomes a form of currency with a dependably increasing exchange rate.
I don't mean to sound glib, but there are 10's of thousands of people who aren't going to change their buying habits. The attitude I stated above is just my way of trying to survive the ravages of this expensive hobby, and I know I'm not the only one.

Mr Walker
06-04-2013, 03:29 AM
You guys have to stop buying these figures if you ever want Sideshow to change.

QFT. I see so many people pointing out how flawed these figures are, and then "But I'm still buying it". Way to incentivise improvements.

If I'm not happy with any figure when it's in hand, I can always sell it on the dark side of ebay a year from now and make a better profit margin than SS. If it's high quality, it's a treasure of nostalgia that I will own until I die. If it's poor quality, it becomes a form of currency with a dependably increasing exchange rate.

LOL. Another "collecting is investing" post. Always funny. I'll just go off an sell my Odin. Or my New Goblin. Or my CR Superman....

Anthrapoid
06-04-2013, 04:38 AM
QFT. I see so many people pointing out how flawed these figures are, and then "But I'm still buying it". Way to incentivise improvements.

LOL. Another "collecting is investing" post. Always funny. I'll just go off an sell my Odin. Or my New Goblin. Or my CR Superman....Did you not see the part where I said, "If it's high quality, it's a treasure of nostalgia that I will own until I die."?
One problem collectors have to deal with is the fact that the product photographs are often deceptive, or cloaked in 'mood lighting' like this Vader is. It's hard to tell the actual quality of the finished item until it's literally in your hands.

Incidentally I will NEVER sell my Chris Reeve Superman; That was the first movie I went to go see by myself when it came out, at age 13. I loved the film, and I still do, and the figure is perfectly executed in every way. (Hot Toys was honest enough to provide brightly lit, accurate photographs ahead of time, so I knew what I was getting.)

RIDDICK
06-04-2013, 05:15 AM
I'll complain about prices. It's what I doooooo.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DuyoWoKAOnI/Rh8CnCjGPmI/AAAAAAAAABM/1wrzSIrWOQU/s400/batman%2Bdefined.jpg

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/RIDDICK0911/trash/gif%20trash/BVw4e_zps73d54d44.gif

galactiboy
06-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Hasbro did have a few good headsculpts... and the droids and aliens were decent. Biggest problem was everything had very odd proportions. I did a custom of Anakin Skywalker using their "masterpiece" (:rolleyes2) figure. Aside from the sculpt being too large it still ended up making for a good looking figure IMO.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/galactiboy/Customfigures/anakinb.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/galactiboy/Customfigures/anakinc.jpg

Darthrazz
06-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Hasbro did have a few good headsculpts... and the droids and aliens were decent. Biggest problem was everything had very odd proportions. I did a custom of Anakin Skywalker using their "masterpiece" (:rolleyes2) figure. Aside from the sculpt being too large it still ended up making for a good looking figure IMO.

Who is that man? Was he in any of the Star Wars movies? I don't recognize him from any of my Blu Rays....In all seriousness, you did a great job on it.

Darthrazz
06-04-2013, 07:19 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/darthrazz/GLv4zW0-1.gif (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/darthrazz/media/GLv4zW0-1.gif.html)
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/darthrazz/JkqKOfp.gif (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/darthrazz/media/JkqKOfp.gif.html)
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/darthrazz/LUGfQoU.gif (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/darthrazz/media/LUGfQoU.gif.html)

EVILFACE
06-04-2013, 07:21 AM
I think this figure will be tightened-up a bit before release. If not, I already have the Hasbro talking Vader, so I can use the helmet if needed. I think people are freaking out about the new Vader body too soon; Remember the figure is 13.5" tall, so it will also be more bulky overall than the average 12" SS figure. If the head sculpt is devoid of true nostalgic 'Anakin appeal', the Hasbro Anakin head sculpt is surprisingly pretty damned good. With a skilled repaint and the removal of the vinyl 'chin tubes', it would replace the SS head nicely.
In my own case, I won't have to spend an extra dime for the upgrades, so I PO'd Robo & Ed both.

If there is a demand here, I could easily make a mold of this head (after removing the chin tubes, and adding some accurate surface detail in some areas) and recast it in white resin to sell.http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2936/darthhasbro.jpg

Aww, how sweet. Vader looks happy. :lol

shockwave
06-04-2013, 07:35 AM
I think this figure will be tightened-up a bit before release. If not, I already have the Hasbro talking Vader, so I can use the helmet if needed. I think people are freaking out about the new Vader body too soon; Remember the figure is 13.5" tall, so it will also be more bulky overall than the average 12" SS figure. If the head sculpt is devoid of true nostalgic 'Anakin appeal', the Hasbro Anakin head sculpt is surprisingly pretty damned good. With a skilled repaint and the removal of the vinyl 'chin tubes', it would replace the SS head nicely.

Eyebrow thread anyone? :monkey1

galactiboy
06-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Who is that man? Was he in any of the Star Wars movies? I don't recognize him from any of my Blu Rays....In all seriousness, you did a great job on it.

I see what you did there... :lol

VintijDroidGutzz
06-04-2013, 08:10 AM
That's actually not a bad base head really.. :)

It's going to be interesting to see how far folks will take the mods on this upcoming Vader - the muscle body swap out for starters. Being that this one seems to be a little more in scale compared to the last one, the suit won't need as much chopping & cropping as the previous ANH version perhaps. :lol

Jedi Princess
06-04-2013, 08:16 AM
I've always wondered why they cast Sebasian Shaw as Anakin in ROTJ. Yeah, he gives a good performance when he's dying, but why didn't they cast someone a bit more...good looking? There were plenty of actors, known and unknown, who were good looking and around 50/60 at the time who could have pulled it off. I know the point was to have Vader look all pale, burned and gross when the helmet comes off, but still...an actor who wasn't overweight and had a stronger jaw and more defined cheekbones would have been a better choice. And it would have made for a much cooler image when he was in ghost form. I wanted the man in the suit to look like Luke Skywalker's dad...not "just anybody's dad," which is what Shaw looked like. Hardly a grizzled, Jedi warrior and Clone Wars vet.

VintijDroidGutzz
06-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Ehh.. it's relative.

I loved Sebastian Shaw in the film - he conveyed the frailty of an old Anakin being supported by essentially an iron lung of sorts, trying to reach out to his son; his eyes & countenance showed that well IMO.

I get your point, but I don't think those factors were necessary in the end.

barryo
06-04-2013, 08:24 AM
^^^^.......they should have cast lee majors. that would have been epic on all kind of levels..............:lol

VintijDroidGutzz
06-04-2013, 08:27 AM
^^^^.......they should have cast lee majors. that would have been epic on all kind of levels..............:lol
Bionic man.. twice in a row? :lol

Dr.FeelGood
06-04-2013, 08:47 AM
While nice...this Vader is far from accurate :(

I know they have tried to make a more accurate ROTJ Vader for the "Deluxe" figure but as with the ANH Vader they sadly missed the mark.

Now yes, I know...I'm the default mouthpiece for Hurricane in the Vaderville thread but I thought I'd put up this ESB Vader for you all to see;

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa238/stevejw/photo.jpg (http://s197.photobucket.com/user/stevejw/media/photo.jpg.html)

compared with the Deluxe SSC ROTJ Vader;

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa238/stevejw/100076_press12-001.jpg (http://s197.photobucket.com/user/stevejw/media/100076_press12-001.jpg.html)

Maybe when they spin over to do a ESB they'll hit the nail on the head...

EVILFACE
06-04-2013, 09:16 AM
I'll take the SS Vader and known delivery date for $250.

Something Sexy
06-04-2013, 09:18 AM

:goodpost::exactly::lecture

joda76
06-04-2013, 09:27 AM

:goodpost::exactly::hi5:

kl241
06-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I'll take "Movie Accurate Vader" for $500, Alex. :pfft:

barryo
06-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Bionic man.. twice in a row? :lol

well he was in the first movie........:lecture...........kind of..:wink1:

Kuzeh
06-04-2013, 10:32 AM

I know they have tried to make a more accurate ROTJ Vader for the "Deluxe" figure but as with the ANH Vader they sadly missed the mark.

Now yes, I know...I'm the default mouthpiece for Hurricane in the Vaderville thread but I thought I'd put up this ROJT Vader for you all to see;

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa238/stevejw/photo.jpg (http://s197.photobucket.com/user/stevejw/media/photo.jpg.html)

http://www.businessinsider.com/~~/f?id=50edec8fecad04e27900000e

Viper245
06-04-2013, 10:58 AM

:exactly: A great looking figure overall and will look pretty darn cool on the shelf. It isn't 100% accurate but very few if any massed produced figures are so I can accept the faults on this one.

RIDDICK
06-04-2013, 11:20 AM
I'll take "Movie Accurate Vader" for $500

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

RavenEye
06-04-2013, 12:27 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/darthrazz/GLv4zW0-1.gif (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/darthrazz/media/GLv4zW0-1.gif.html)
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/darthrazz/JkqKOfp.gif (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/darthrazz/media/JkqKOfp.gif.html)
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/darthrazz/LUGfQoU.gif (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/darthrazz/media/LUGfQoU.gif.html)

OMG! :rotfl Alec is not amused...

Jedi Princess
06-04-2013, 12:57 PM

Brilliant! He already had experience as a bionic man. :)

Malgus
06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
What? You actually think the talking feature is a plus? Are you a kid?

pixletwin
06-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Voice chips and plastic force lightening are both two sides of the same stinky **** floating atop the brown water left unflushed by an 8 year old.

galactiboy
I'm not too interested in Robocop talking... but on the ED-209 it's actually kind of cool. One of those dumb features I'll use once a year, but it will be fun when I do :lol

kl241
It's more than Sideshow did. Heck, even Medicom made a talking Vader with light up saber for $250.

galactiboy
06-04-2013, 01:39 PM
But they saved a lot of money on plastic and fabric by making him 1/7 scale :lecture

kl241
06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
6 of 1 and half of 1:6

Darthrazz
06-04-2013, 01:46 PM
OMG! :rotfl Alec is not amused...

He's definitely not pleased! I just noticed how much Peter Mayhew looks like Schneider from One Day at a Time.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/darthrazz/schneider1.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/darthrazz/media/schneider1.jpg.html)

Leon 911
06-04-2013, 04:23 PM
If I'm not happy with any figure when it's in hand, I can always sell it on the dark side of ebay a year from now and make a better profit margin than SS. If it's high quality, it's a treasure of nostalgia that I will own until I die. If it's poor quality, it becomes a form of currency with a dependably increasing exchange rate.
I don't mean to sound glib, but there are 10's of thousands of people who aren't going to change their buying habits. The attitude I stated above is just my way of trying to survive the ravages of this expensive hobby, and I know I'm not the only one.

I agree. I am never happy with most figures when at hand, but thats cause they looked so awesome in pics (usually). While i ordered this i am regretting it and thinking of cancelling the preorder albeit the NRD. From the beginning the proportions did not seem right or as right to me. Glad i am not the only one who thinks so but at the same time unhappy that i pulled a trigger on this one way too early. Last option would be to sell on ebay however the challenge would be if another better vader pops up in the meantime. Then this 250 drops like crazy. Still thinking....

joda76
06-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Just keep it man!!!!!! lol.

OutLander
06-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Last option would be to sell on ebay however the challenge would be if another better vader pops up in the meantime. Then this 250 drops like crazy. Still thinking....

Another 1/6 Vader??? From where??? Unless somebody builds a time machine to transport to 2020 to buy that HT Vader everybody's talking about I wouldn't worry about another 1/6 Vader appearing out of nowhere. :lol

Niltusk
06-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Another 1/6 Vader??? From where??? Unless somebody builds a time machine to transport to 2020 to buy that HT Vader everybody's talking about I wouldn't worry about another 1/6 Vader appearing out of nowhere. :lol

:exactly:

Some people... :slap

Leon 911
06-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Some people... :slap

Zzzz.... Good you slap yourself these days....

Leon 911
06-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Just keep it man!!!!!! lol.

Yeah... I know. But the robocops seem tempting and i unfortunately have only so many dollars .. But i guess i will decide in the next few days...

Niltusk
06-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah... I know. But the robocops seem tempting and i unfortunately have only so many dollars .. But i guess i will decide in the next few days...

...and little sense as well.

Hope the best evar Vader doesn't get announced soon. :lol

Leon 911
06-04-2013, 06:48 PM
...and little sense as well.

Hope the best evar Vader doesn't get announced soon. :lol

Wow with this sense of humor... Am sure u are doing good... Keep it up...

kl241
06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37581661.jpg

Niltusk
06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Wow with this sense of humor... Am sure u are doing good... Keep it up...

:1-1:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37581661.jpg

I don't see another Vader coming out from anyone for quite some time.

I'll qualify that by saying I don't think Anakin with glowing eyes and a tear rolling down his cheek is a Vader in my book. :lol

Malgus
06-05-2013, 06:39 AM

I don't like the baggy pants but I ordered because I don't think we will be getting another one anytime soon.

Matt S
06-05-2013, 06:43 AM
I ordered this one, but I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled with the pictures.....the proto looked way better - aside from the inaccurate helmet/dome

abake
06-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Now yes, I know...I'm the default mouthpiece for Hurricane in the Vaderville thread but I thought I'd put up this ESB Vader for you all to see;

compared with the Deluxe SSC ROTJ Vader;

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa238/stevejw/100076_press12-001.jpg (http://s197.photobucket.com/user/stevejw/media/100076_press12-001.jpg.html)

Maybe when they spin over to do a ESB they'll hit the nail on the head...

I'll probably get flamed for this but...

While I do recognize the craftsmanship and attention to detail, Hurricane's Vaders just look a bit odd to me.

There's something about the proportions that just looks off.
But that's probably just me.

Still amazing custom pieces.

pixletwin
06-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I have seen some of Glen's Vaders that looked spot on. Some don't. I agree.

Darthrazz
06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I have seen some of Glen's Vaders that looked spot on. Some don't. I agree.

Agreed, this was was his worst ever!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/darthrazz/CardboardDarthVader.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/darthrazz/media/CardboardDarthVader.jpg.html)

pixletwin
06-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I think he did that one for Yo Gabba Gabba.

galactiboy
06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Agreed, this was was his worst ever!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/darthrazz/CardboardDarthVader.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/darthrazz/media/CardboardDarthVader.jpg.html)

Really... we must be looking at two different Vaders? This looks spot-on to me; and look at the hand poses... that just screams Vader :huh

Kuzeh
06-05-2013, 11:12 AM
http://youtu.be/dnUHNvEXVXg

lerath666
06-05-2013, 11:26 AM

No. R. Lee Ermey would have made the BEST Anakin.

http://youtu.be/EgFgEqm3o60

ShadowX81
06-05-2013, 11:39 AM

I had that thing too. It also came with a Darth Maul figure that broke in two.

The Boot
06-05-2013, 11:43 AM
While I do recognize the craftsmanship and attention to detail, Hurricane's Vaders just look a bit odd to me.

This.

There's something about the proportions that just looks off.

This.

Still amazing custom pieces.

Most definitely that.

Darthrazz
06-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I had that thing too. It also came with a Darth Maul figure that broke in two.

I remember The Ultimate Villain Vader it was totally inaccurate, but for 2005 standards, it wasn't bad. Just like the Hasbro Jango Fett. That's still not too bad to this day. Are any of these Sideshow or Hot Toys quality? Absolutely not, but they still have their merits here and there.

ShadowX81
06-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I got mine way back in 2001. I was 11 at the time, and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

pixletwin
06-05-2013, 12:02 PM
I got mine way back in 2001. I was 11 at the time, and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I got mine in 1998. I still have it. I still think it's awesome.

galactiboy
06-05-2013, 12:08 PM
I could never get down with the modern 12" figures from Kenner and then Hasbro. Even before I knew about Medicom and Dragon (the big names early on) I could just never bring myself to buy them. I must have held the first Vader in my hands a dozen times trying to convince myself to buy it, but never did.

I did however buy the first Han Solo... it's pretty terrible, but for some reason it looked a bit better than the other figures to my eye. That's the only 12" I bought from those offerings, although later I've picked up a few of the non-human sculpted figures for custom projects.

mrshurricane
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Been a long while but I still watch this thread , the custom Vader was for a gentleman called Vader Al , in his words , he hasn't positioned the head down fully on its stub , so it's quarter of an inch too high and the chest box was out of position , whether this accounts for the visual 'offness' I cannot say . I understand any updates will be dealt with by Dr. Feelgood in the art section. Personally I'm on the fence about the new Vader from Sideshow , as I hear from G that some of the ANH ones have been tinkered with by owners and look very good.
Steph x

Solo_bones
06-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Ehh.. it's relative.

I loved Sebastian Shaw in the film - he conveyed the frailty of an old Anakin being supported by essentially an iron lung of sorts, trying to reach out to his son; his eyes & countenance showed that well IMO.

I get your point, but I don't think those factors were necessary in the end.

Well said...

galactiboy
06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
So awhile back I sent a question to Sideshow about what pictures were representative of the Vader we could expect... mainly pointing out the bodysuit differences.

I've gotten two responses, both ignoring that question (even though it's clearly stated both times) and telling me about the 2 heads it comes with... I've given it a 3rd try, but I have a feeling I'm just getting some kind of form response and CS is not bothering to read my question :lol

pixletwin
06-05-2013, 02:21 PM
So awhile back I sent a question to Sideshow about what pictures were representative of the Vader we could expect... mainly pointing out the bodysuit differences.

I've gotten two responses, both ignoring that question (even though it's clearly stated both times) and telling me about the 2 heads it comes with... I've given it a 3rd try, but I have a feeling I'm just getting some kind of form response and CS is not bothering to read my question :lol

Who are you addressing them to? SS CS in general or to specific people?

Thundarr
06-05-2013, 04:35 PM
No. R. Lee Ermey would have made the BEST Anakin.

LMFAO! That video was so funny I cried. :lol :rotfl :lol

CollectorGuy
06-06-2013, 12:50 AM
I really hope the pants dont look this bad on the final version, that just sucks and needs to be fixed.

galactiboy
06-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Who are you addressing them to? SS CS in general or to specific people?

Probably just general... I filled out some form. And 3rd try was closer, but still didn't get an answer.

So anybodies guess what the final figure will actually look like. Have to say I'm generally one of the more apologetic Sideshow fans, but this poorly handled Pre-Order, being nearly 2 years since Grievous was shown and no PO and the recent restrictions on retailers I'm getting a bit disappointed in the direction they seem to be headed.

Not to mention they are now around HT prices on their releases, but the quality has still not matched them.

VintijDroidGutzz
06-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Well said...
:hi5:

You getting this Vader, dude?

jra81984
06-06-2013, 07:10 AM
I could never get down with the modern 12" figures from Kenner and then Hasbro. Even before I knew about Medicom and Dragon (the big names early on) I could just never bring myself to buy them. I must have held the first Vader in my hands a dozen times trying to convince myself to buy it, but never did.

I did however buy the first Han Solo... it's pretty terrible, but for some reason it looked a bit better than the other figures to my eye. That's the only 12" I bought from those offerings, although later I've picked up a few of the non-human sculpted figures for custom projects.

I also have the Han Solo... I keep it displayed, but it always has looked super off to me. I hope one day we will get a definitive one. I had purchased a few non-helmeted characters in the past. Now nearing 5 years later I am not the biggest fan of them. My favorite sideshow pieces are the ANH Vader, Stormtrooper, and Boba Fett. To this day all of those look spectacular in the detolf.

pixletwin
06-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Probably just general... I filled out some form. And 3rd try was closer, but still didn't get an answer.

So anybodies guess what the final figure will actually look like. Have to say I'm generally one of the more apologetic Sideshow fans, but this poorly handled Pre-Order, being nearly 2 years since Grievous was shown and no PO and the recent restrictions on retailers I'm getting a bit disappointed in the direction they seem to be headed.

Not to mention they are now around HT prices on their releases, but the quality has still not matched them.

I have a feeling the lighting effects are going to mess with the overall figure.

galactiboy
06-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Probably will... honestly would have preferred if they just left the lighting effects off.

Bo Shrek
06-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I should be "head over heels" with this release but for some reason I am not feeling it. Perhaps it's $250 and it's not Hot Toys. Maybe the idealized looking face sculpt (I cannot relate to it), or the shady information we are getting. I am sure in the end it will be awesome but right now not feeling it.

Viper245
06-06-2013, 09:28 AM

:goodpost: Can't argue with anything here. Well said.

I also have the Han Solo... I keep it displayed, but it always has looked super off to me. I hope one day we will get a definitive one. I had purchased a few non-helmeted characters in the past. Now nearing 5 years later I am not the biggest fan of them. My favorite sideshow pieces are the ANH Vader, Stormtrooper, and Boba Fett. To this day all of those look spectacular in the detolf.

I never order figs with human likenesses made by Sideshow. Even current figs are always off on the sculpt and the paint apps make them look toyish. They are no where near the same league as HT in that area. They do much better on non human figures.

Viper245
06-06-2013, 09:31 AM
I should be "head over heels" with this release but for some reason I am not feeling it. Perhaps it's $250 and it's not Hot Toys. Maybe the idealized looking face sculpt (I cannot relate to it), or the shady information we are getting. I am sure in the end it will be awesome but right now not feeling it.

Ditto. I ordered it but it doesn't blow me away yet. Maybe updated pics without mood lighting or more info on the figure will change that.

lerath666
06-06-2013, 09:41 AM

:goodpost: Can't argue with anything here. Well said.

I never order figs with human likenesses made by Sideshow. Even current figs are always off on the sculpt and the paint apps make them look toyish. They are no where near the same league as HT in that area. They do much better on non human figures.

...you BOTH relaise he's talking about teh 1977 Figure from kenner, right?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJ,!qwE+nWlk1GyBQDJPS(Fgg~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8 800005007

And you're quite right, All sideshow human heads allways look SOOOOO Toyish.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-50e2gjNZJW0/TiBVB41JUII/AAAAAAAABfo/NlA1AYWANk8/s1600/feature_ssc_rocknroll.jpg:slap

Except, for , you know, anything released in the past 3 years.
http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/sites/default/files/7/1348175289/thumb.jpg?1348175540

VintijDroidGutzz
06-06-2013, 09:48 AM
http://www.chicotown.com/pics/flava-flav-hype.jpg

:lecture

Viper245
06-06-2013, 10:24 AM

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJ,!qwE+nWlk1GyBQDJPS(Fgg~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8 800005007

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-50e2gjNZJW0/TiBVB41JUII/AAAAAAAABfo/NlA1AYWANk8/s1600/feature_ssc_rocknroll.jpg:slap

http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/sites/default/files/7/1348175289/thumb.jpg?1348175540

Thanks for the clarification on the reference to Kenner. :duff

Yes, I am not impressed with the pics I have seen of the SS Obi Wan sculpt compared to what HT can do. Maybe it looks better in hand. :dunno

Niltusk
06-06-2013, 10:38 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-50e2gjNZJW0/TiBVB41JUII/AAAAAAAABfo/NlA1AYWANk8/s1600/feature_ssc_rocknroll.jpg

:exactly::goodpost:

Of course you did pull one of the nicest Joes, but I love the heads SSC has been putting out and even though their paint apps may be weak at times, we've had tons of customizers show the SSC heads can go from great to amazing with a paintjob. I actually like some SSC heads > HT. Take for instance the current GI Joe RoadRock figure that HT has been showing pics on, its pores are so freaking huge it looks like a lovechild between Dwayne Johnson and Edward James Olmos.

lerath666
06-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the reference to Kenner. :duff

Yes, I am not impressed with the pics I have seen of the SS Obi Wan sculpt compared to what HT can do. Maybe it looks better in hand. :dunno

IT really does.

especialy they are now painteing their heads using the same method that hot toys does, and we're now getting heads that have a similar textured skin effect like HT has been doing for a while now.

are they completely on-par?
No. But it's a gap that's rapidly closing.

on a scale of 1-10, with 9 being the average HT sculpt, 10 being their DX jack joker and Jack sparrow and a 1 being hasbro...

I'd say that sideshow currently fluxes between a 7 and an 8.

Zartan, Evil Duke, Falcon, Padawan Kenobi, and RocknRoll have all been AMAZING sculpts.
Even though we've only seen prototypes, Bludd and Baroness look to be just as good as well

Viper245
06-06-2013, 10:47 AM
:exactly::goodpost:

Of course you did pull one of the nicest Joes, but I love the heads SSC has been putting out and even though their paint apps may be weak at times, we've had tons of customizers show the SSC heads can go from great to amazing with a paintjob. I actually like some SSC heads > HT. Take for instance the current GI Joe RoadRock figure that HT has been showing pics on, its pores are so freaking huge it looks like a lovechild between Dwayne Johnson and Edward James Olmos.

IT really does.

especialy they are now painteing their heads using the same method that hot toys does, and we're now getting heads that have a similar textured skin effect like HT has been doing for a while now.

are they completely on-par?
No. But it's a gap that's rapidly closing.

on a scale of 1-10, with 9 being the average HT sculpt, 10 being their DX jack joker and Jack sparrow and a 1 being hasbro...

I'd say that sideshow currently fluxes between a 7 and an 8.

Zartan, Evil Duke, Falcon, Padawan Kenobi, and RocknRoll have all been AMAZING sculpts.
Even though we've only seen prototypes, Bludd and Baroness look to be just as good as well

Thanks for the info guys. :duff

I don't collect the Sideshow's Joe line but that pic you posted does look good. I think you could be right about the the paint apps pulling the SS sculpts down. It's good to hear they are improving with every release. Now if they would just scrap the Prometheus body and develop a better one, they might give a HT a real run for their money.

galactiboy
06-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Actually... I was referring to the 90's Kenner Collector Series figure:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/bigraz69/CollectorSeriesHanSoloInsideUndamag.jpg

I love the style of the vintage figures, but they were made and sold as toys. The newer ones tried to make them more "collectible" and in that failed. They were still good toys, but look like turds :lol

Glad I could clear that up :lecture

pixletwin
06-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I still have my Ben Kenobi from that series.

barryo
06-06-2013, 11:55 AM
i have several of those 90's 12" hasbros still in the box. a few i opened & used several for bashes.

no longer has the furry chewie in his original form...........:lecture

lerath666
06-06-2013, 12:00 PM

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/bigraz69/CollectorSeriesHanSoloInsideUndamag.jpg

I love the style of the vintage figures, but they were made and sold as toys. The newer ones tried to make them more "collectible" and in that failed. They were still good toys, but look like turds :lol

Ah, well, still not the sideshow ones they were referencing :lol

galactiboy
06-06-2013, 12:41 PM
No, I like the Sideshow figures... I like them better with a bit of work, but still solid values for what the asking prices were. Now though, I think they are overpriced and competing with HT but not delivering on the same level primarily in paints, body type and just overall consistency.

The Padwan Kenobi should have been a home run... bur some minor issues added up to being a kind of fugly figure.

Invictus Sol
06-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Dang, off-topic, but just saw the new Cobra Commander figure and they did an excellent job with that. Wish proto-Vader looked as polished! :monkey2

lerath666
06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Less medeling from liscensing reps produces a superior figure :D

galactiboy
06-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Although in all fairness... there's a great deal of room for interpretation when it comes to the Joe line. Color and cut of suit, long gloves or short. Even the shape of the helmet.

But with Vader there is really only one way he should look depending on the movie.

sithlord13
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Although in all fairness... there's a great deal of room for interpretation when it comes to the Joe line. Color and cut of suit, long gloves or short. Even the shape of the helmet.

But with Vader there is really only one way he should look depending on the movie.

Indeed. Movies are always more definitive.

Comics give you wiggle room and the joe has a lot of wiggle in it.
I really like them but sold the three I bought as I couldn't afford to collect two lines.

galactiboy
06-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I decided to pick up the Commander just to have one figure that would represent the Joe line. But, definitely do not want to go all in on that series.

Invictus Sol
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I've been reading a bit of criticism on Cobra Commander and while I can see what some people are saying, the prototype still looks great to me. First Joe figure I've been tempted by (CC's always been my favourite Joe design, due in large part to the chromed face mask) and it would be pretty cool as a standalone representation of the franchise (especially w/throne to fill out the display a little).

OutLander
06-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I decided to pick up the Commander just to have one figure that would represent the Joe line. But, definitely do not want to go all in on that series.

And you actually believe this. :cuckoo:

Niltusk
06-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I've been reading a bit of criticism on Cobra Commander and while I can see what some people are saying, the prototype still looks great to me. First Joe figure I've been tempted by (CC's always been my favourite Joe design, due in large part to the chromed face mask) and it would be pretty cool as a standalone representation of the franchise (especially w/throne to fill out the display a little).

I think the problem is that SSC seems to have lost all common sense when releasing photos these days. The shot of his helmet that seems to have people the most up in arms is just crazy horrible. They need someone else ok'ing what shots are released for public consumption.

OutLander
06-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I think the problem is that SSC seems to have lost all common sense when releasing photos these days. The shot of his helmet that seems to have people the most up in arms is just crazy horrible. They need someone else ok'ing what shots are released for public consumption.

:exactly: :goodpost:

The pictures of the subject of this thread also come to mind in this regard.

Invictus Sol
06-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Yes, I was thinking the criticism in both threads comes down to very sloppy prototype images. I think maybe Sideshow is a bit complacent when it comes to these releases.

momaw
06-07-2013, 01:38 AM

Never fear, Hot Toys has heard your concerns and adjusted their prices accordingly.

OutLander
06-07-2013, 03:44 AM
Never fear, Hot Toys has heard your concerns and adjusted their prices accordingly.

:lol:rotfl:lol

galactiboy
06-07-2013, 06:34 AM
And you actually believe this. :cuckoo:

I've owned some of the 1/6 Joes, but quickly realized (right before Duke shipped) that I just wasn't into them. Even had a brief relapse where I rebought Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow and did body swaps... still ended up selling them.

So I'm fairly confident I'll be able to just own CC :lecture

Damn :thud:

lerath666
06-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Shame that Lucasfilm dosn't agree with you on that :/

VintijDroidGutzz
06-07-2013, 10:13 AM
ROTS Vader seems to be the poster boy for all the merch these days.. :slap :monkey4

dsokyra
06-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Is this a G.I. Joe thread? I'm confused...

Invictus Sol
06-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Yep. Vader's over here (http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124996&page=72).

dsokyra
06-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Yep. Vader's over here (http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124996&page=72).

I see, that makes sense :lol

Invictus Sol
06-07-2013, 10:31 AM
:lol Figured you'd like that, dsokyra.

dsokyra
06-07-2013, 10:31 AM
:lol Figured you'd like that, dsokyra.

Well played sir :clap

Leon 911
06-08-2013, 12:22 AM

I believe howard chen from HT indicated in a recent interview that entire star wars line up and also back to the future is in works (posted today on hot toys fan page). Like me many others have been unhappy with this figure or at least of what we are seeing right now and my basic point was just that. I feel this is long away and ss can still do a lot to improvise this figure for it to be more impactful.
Bottom line... We can say what we want but this is a 250 dollar figure and does not measure up - at least what we see in prototype pics.

LipSmack
06-08-2013, 03:02 AM
I believe howard chen from HT indicated in a recent interview that entire star wars line up and also back to the future is in works (posted today on hot toys fan page). Like me many others have been unhappy with this figure or at least of what we are seeing right now and my basic point was just that. I feel this is long away and ss can still do a lot to improvise this figure for it to be more impactful.
Bottom line... We can say what we want but this is a 250 dollar figure and does not measure up - at least what we see in prototype pics.

saw that too! soo stoked to hear that, Sideshow is going down man, they are way over priced and the quality isnt up to par

King Darkness
06-08-2013, 03:04 AM
Yeah, HT is gonna topple Sideshow with one Star Wars figure a year from a license they don't have :lol

LipSmack
06-08-2013, 03:17 AM
Yeah, HT is gonna topple Sideshow with one Star Wars figure a year from a license they don't have :lol

cant tell if youre agreeing or being sarcastic... :lol

momaw
06-08-2013, 04:17 AM

cant tell if youre agreeing or being sarcastic... :lol

Pretty sure that's sarcasm. Happy for Hot Toys to do the humans and SS to do the aliens.

I'd rather that ANH Han from Hot Toys than anything else to be honest.

LipSmack
06-08-2013, 04:24 AM
it wont be HT that sinks sideshow, itll be sideshow that sinks sideshow lol, theyre are asking way too much.

And HT said theyre working on more SW offerings, then add that Hasbro only has the license until 2018, then its up for grabs and will probably be divied up, then we'll see some good competition

devilof76
06-08-2013, 05:12 AM
I'm sure Hasbro will give up the license in 2018.

Invictus Sol
06-08-2013, 05:54 AM
How does that work, anyway? I'm guessing Hasbro has the deepest pockets by far and so probably has the license in perpetuity, but maybe they could switch out the sub-license to HT instead of SSC. :D Yeah, not likely, but it's not like SSC is doing a lot beyond clones, at the moment (and quality of other stuff is not on par w/pricing). Line seems pretty moribund.

devilof76
06-08-2013, 06:07 AM
Line seems pretty moribund.

I'd imagine that they and Hasbro are the only ones who can realistically judge that.

Invictus Sol
06-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Well, I'm judging it by the lack of any interesting reveals/pre-orders for months and months on end (and possibly no SDCC exclusive is another sign). Maybe I'm just misremembering, since when I first got into the line, I had to catch-up on a lot of stuff. Maybe the pace back then felt fast when really it wasn't. But it seems pretty slow for a long while now and what releases there are seem predictable.

sithlord13
06-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Can't see hasbro pulling Sscs licence. No way will ht produce enough figures for the new trilogy to pay for it. Asian licence maybe instead of medicom but not American etc

Remember even with iron man etc they are the mass market 12 inch versions - which my kids love but jeez they're poor quality.

Ssc may have faults but if ht had this licence from day one we would still only have about six figures. Probably five Lukes.

OutLander
06-08-2013, 08:01 AM
How does that work, anyway? I'm guessing Hasbro has the deepest pockets by far and so probably has the license in perpetuity,.

Probably true since the toy industry has consolidated and Hasbro is
one of the last men standing.

but maybe they could switch out the sub-license to HT instead of SSC. :D Yeah, not likely, but it's not like SSC is doing a lot beyond clones, at the moment (and quality of other stuff is not on par w/pricing). Line seems pretty moribund.

SSC does clones because they make money, the same way HT does Iron Man over and over and over....etc. The sub-license will go to whoever can pay the most dollars when it expires. And that will mean prices will go up to pay that new higher license fee. Don't hope for a change in license unless your willing/able to pay a lot more for your figures.

Boba Ben
06-08-2013, 08:07 AM
They're priced at the breaking point for me, at least. I don't think I would really be willing to pay much more than what Hot Toys and Sideshow are asking for these days.

EVILFACE
06-08-2013, 08:10 AM

SS took 6 years to make their Vader and I'm sure it would be at least that when HT shows theirs. And the helmet will still be off and Fat Pasty Dough Boy Shaw head will look Asian.

Invictus Sol
06-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Probably true since the toy industry has consolidated and Hasbro is
one of the last men standing.

SSC does clones because they make money, the same way HT does Iron Man over and over and over....etc. The sub-license will go to whoever can pay the most dollars when it expires. And that will mean prices will go up to pay that new higher license fee. Don't hope for a change in license unless your willing/able to pay a lot more for your figures.
If the quality is on par with HT, I'd be fine paying a higher price. The thing with the clones bringing in money is it doesn't seem to result in SSC releasing anything imaginative or unexpected (and while Iron Man has many iterations, they're not all just repaints... a lot easier to see where the money's going, even if I'm fatgued with the line). Kinda just waiting now to see how SDCC goes.

Leon 911
06-08-2013, 08:50 AM
If the quality is on par with HT, I'd be fine paying a higher price. The thing with the clones bringing in money is it doesn't seem to result in SSC releasing anything imaginative or unexpected (and while Iron Man has many iterations, they're not all just repaints... a lot easier to see where the money's going, even if I'm fatgued with the line). Kinda just waiting now to see how SDCC goes.

Agreed. And while iron man is a cash cow for them its clearly a no brainer on what quality work they can do and what value they can provide even if they charge a slight premium. The robocop series is a classic example that is mindblowing, some of the dx series stuff has been great too, even if i go a bit back in time... Whiplash and many others have delivered value for money. Were there issues? surely - but worth the money so far. I grew up watching star wars, and am sure many others here did too, and hence a bit more critical when it comes to star wars and in specific to vader... And why not! ..... SDCC will decide for me if i will hold the preorder or let go... With over 120 six scale figures so far bought, traded its time to be selective rather than a shelf feeder :(

VintijDroidGutzz
06-08-2013, 09:01 AM
SS took 6 years to make their Vader and I'm sure it would be at least that when HT shows theirs. And the helmet will still be off and Fat Pasty Dough Boy Shaw head will look Asian.

Conjures up a great visual. :monkey1

Leon 911
06-08-2013, 09:20 AM

Lol... Or may just reuse the cowl from dx 12 since it dint belong there anyways...

Mad Old Lu
06-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Did I miss something? The interview said, "We know that the Back to the Future series is highly anticipated, we are still working on it to bring the figures to the fans. Star Wars is also in the works."

:dunno

Darth Waller
06-08-2013, 10:37 AM

But it will have PERS. :yess:

bloodgear
06-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Well got my points off so this should be costing around £100 now. At that price, it's worth it to me.

Leon 911
06-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Well got my points off so this should be costing around £100 now. At that price, it's worth it to me.

Are u buying from sstoys or some place else? at that price cant complain at all. The only thing i dont like abt sideshow / ss toys / US is they dont give rewards for the remainder money e.g £ 100 in ur case. I prefer to buy smaller figures or bodies ilo actual 1/6 figures or statues as that enables me to gain the 5 pct on big purchases... Also i feel they (sstoy) have to do the 5 pct rewards as they charge tax unlike ebay or some other sellers and also that allows smaller resellers to have a market as the price point is maintained steady and higher!

bloodgear
06-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Nah just from Sideshow. I've got nothing else to use them on presently and thought may as well. The 250 points is no big loss.

LipSmack
06-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm sure Hasbro will give up the license in 2018.

not a matter of giving it up, thats when it expires with lucas. theyll have to renegotiate with disney now. and im sure (just like back in the 90's for ep 1) there will be bidding wars between companies

gothamcityboy
06-10-2013, 06:42 PM

I still got vader in this series

devilof76
06-10-2013, 09:13 PM
not a matter of giving it up, thats when it expires with lucas. theyll have to renegotiate with disney now. and im sure (just like back in the 90's for ep 1) there will be bidding wars between companies

I meant giving it up, as in rolling over when it expires. They won't.

LipSmack
06-11-2013, 03:36 AM
I meant giving it up, as in rolling over when it expires. They won't.

All depends on who is willing to pay more money for it,

devilof76
06-13-2013, 02:45 AM
No, it all depends on who Disney expects will make more money for them with the license in their possession.

LipSmack
06-13-2013, 05:12 AM
No, it all depends on who Disney expects will make more money for them with the license in their possession.

ok buddy, still a few years away so wait and see I guess

devilof76
06-13-2013, 05:13 AM
No kidding.

galactiboy
06-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Hasbro has been time tested with SW... they've done a pretty impressive job of keeping the toys stocked in stores even though the last movie came out close nearly a decade ago. I have a feeling the license will stay with them for the long haul.

Same with Sideshow, while not every figure has been a home run, they've sold well and continue to be a popular series. I honestly don't think HT has much interest in pursuing the license on their own... if they did I think they'd have had more than 1 release (an not a single WIP image) since they first announced the DX07.

Khev
06-13-2013, 08:18 AM
I have yet to preorder this and with my ESB focus of SW figures including nothing more than HT Luke, SSC Yoda, and SSC Fett, ESB Vader would seemingly be a no-brainer but when I think about it I just feel I "need" to get him to round out the line-up. He's Darth Vader after all. But for the price I just don't pour over the pics marveling at the awesomeness of the figure like I've done for days now with the new Robocop and ED-209.

The same thing happened when ANH Vader was up and I ended up passing on him. I really have been shying away from forking over the cash for "pretty good" figures "just because." I end up having holes in my collection but I prefer to gush over the figures I have, not spend hundreds on placeholder figures because its still technically the "best" on the market.

I'd love a decent Bespin Han but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm going to go hunt down SSC's old monstrosity just because its the "best." :lol

galactiboy
06-13-2013, 08:25 AM
I can understand that... Sideshow should have blown this release out of the water (and maybe they still will) but this has just been one confusing set of photos after another and we have a pre-order where I don't think there's a single image of the lights actually working :huh

As for Han, I highly reccomend buying the SSC figure, swapping out the body and boots and getting the Mando head. You'll probably drop $150 or so on the project, but you'll end up with one hell of a great looking figure :lecture

pixletwin
06-13-2013, 08:27 AM
It's true. Photos that are maladjusted, obvious place holders at SDCC that didn't represent the new figure very well, or just plain missing parts (like the shoulder pauldron). This has been a real head scratcher from the get-go. :lol

pixletwin
06-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Also the more I see it the more I feel the reveal head is not appropriate. Why does he look so stern and pissed off? We should get a reveal showing the ashamed and penitent Anakin.

Khev
06-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Also the more I see it the more I feel the reveal head is not appropriate. Why does he look so stern and pissed off? We should get a reveal showing the ashamed and penitent Anakin.

Yeah, this is more like "Mythos Vader - The Figure."

galactiboy
06-13-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm okay with a stern look as I don't ever plan to have an "I'm about to die Anakin" on display. And really I'll probably never use the reveal head so it's kind of a moot point... but stern is more generlizable given this is intended to serve both ESB and ROTJ.

Aside from that I agree the rest of the reveal, teases and final pics are a mess.

pixletwin
06-13-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm okay with a stern look as I don't ever plan to have an "I'm about to die Anakin" on display. And really I'll probably never use the reveal head so it's kind of a moot point... but stern is more generlizable given this is intended to serve both ESB and ROTJ.

Aside from that I agree the rest of the reveal, teases and final pics are a mess.

It is?

I know that was SSC's intentions originally, but it is listed now as - very specifically - Return of the Jedi Vader.

barryo
06-13-2013, 08:37 AM
yea, i don't really intend to display him without the helmet either but i would have been more inclined to if it had been a shaw sculpt.

Khev
06-13-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm okay with a stern look as I don't ever plan to have an "I'm about to die Anakin" on display.

Agreed, I honestly don't even require a "reveal" head since I'm more interested in him as he appeared in ESB anyway. I was just commenting on their choice of expresssion.

pixletwin
06-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Agreed, I honestly don't even require a "reveal" head since I'm more interested in him as he appeared in ESB anyway. I was just commenting on their choice of expresssion.

The reveal has been something of an obsession for me since 1983. :o

Bo Shrek
06-13-2013, 08:47 AM
For $250 I think that SS should include the correct Shaw head if we choose to display or not.

Darthrazz
06-13-2013, 08:53 AM

I agree, it doesn't look like Shaw, nor Hayden. IMHO it doesn't even look like a combo of both. You hate to say it, but both Hasbro reveal sculpts were pretty spot on, the Shaw one and the Crispy Anakin one.

I don't blame Sideshow though, I'm sure it's all Lucasfilm. Thats probably what Anakin is "supposed" to look like now. I mean look at any Vader promo that you see now,is the ROTS Vader costume.

Snake Plissken
06-13-2013, 08:56 AM

ESB is the only way to display it, period.

pixletwin
06-13-2013, 08:58 AM

ESB is the only way to display it, period.

Orrrr buy two, like I did. :thud:

Snake Plissken
06-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Orrrr buy two, like I did. :thud:

Fair point sir. But your wallet probably hates you :lol

Darth Fok
06-13-2013, 09:11 AM
I'll still buy this, but the medicom v2 is looking alot better now after seeing these intial pictures. Hope they improve things before the release next year

Invictus Sol
06-13-2013, 09:36 AM
I have yet to preorder this and with my ESB focus of SW figures including nothing more than HT Luke, SSC Yoda, and SSC Fett, ESB Vader would seemingly be a no-brainer but when I think about it I just feel I "need" to get him to round out the line-up. He's Darth Vader after all. But for the price I just don't pour over the pics marveling at the awesomeness of the figure like I've done for days now with the new Robocop and ED-209.

The same thing happened when ANH Vader was up and I ended up passing on him. I really have been shying away from forking over the cash for "pretty good" figures "just because." I end up having holes in my collection but I prefer to gush over the figures I have, not spend hundreds on placeholder figures because its still technically the "best" on the market.

I'd love a decent Bespin Han but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm going to go hunt down SSC's old monstrosity just because its the "best." :lol
Well said, Khev. Totally agree with this POV.

VintijDroidGutzz
06-13-2013, 09:58 AM
I've been considering the prospect of making a custom Vader figure for a little while now.

I reckon it's probably the only way I'll get a figure that I'm personally happy with - without waiting for five plus years at least. Sourcing the parts will be expensive & time consuming, but it might be the best option now.

LipSmack
06-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Hasbro has been time tested with SW... they've done a pretty impressive job of keeping the toys stocked in stores even though the last movie came out close nearly a decade ago. I have a feeling the license will stay with them for the long haul.

Same with Sideshow, while not every figure has been a home run, they've sold well and continue to be a popular series. I honestly don't think HT has much interest in pursuing the license on their own... if they did I think they'd have had more than 1 release (an not a single WIP image) since they first announced the DX07.

its Howard Chans most sought after license...

galactiboy
06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
That's surprising then since they've let it grow cold since Luke was announced and released. Don't get me wrong, Luke was awesome... the nailed it. But at best if a figure is announced at SDCC it will be another year before it's in our hands.

pixletwin
06-13-2013, 11:26 AM
its Howard Chans most sought after license...

Really? Someone better not tell Ironman. He's bound to get jealous.

LipSmack
06-13-2013, 11:30 AM
That's surprising then since they've let it grow cold since Luke was announced and released. Don't get me wrong, Luke was awesome... the nailed it. But at best if a figure is announced at SDCC it will be another year before it's in our hands.
well they basically got Sub contracted by Sideshow to do it, in the latest interview with osr he states that their still working on doing more. Problem is Sideshow is being lent the rights from hasbro so its probably a whole lot of paper work and BS to get it done

Really? Someone better not tell Ironman. He's bound to get jealous.

Hes had his day.. :monkey1

demorathis
06-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Interesting he's listed officially as episode 6 return of the Jedi vader...yet he still has episode 5 chest box...

devilof76
06-13-2013, 09:37 PM
That would be consistent with the complete lack of consistency in their presentation.

Hes had his day.. :monkey1

Hell, no. They still have Avengers 2 to milk.

ASTRO13ZOMBIE
06-14-2013, 12:54 AM
This is the first thing I've ever pre ordered from sideshow.
How often are their estimated ship times accurate?

DeadLeaves
06-14-2013, 02:13 AM
Have a game of darts, wear a blindfold and spin around a few times then chuck that dart. That accurate.

Or just add some months to the date.

ASTRO13ZOMBIE
06-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Have a game of darts, wear a blindfold and spin around a few times then chuck that dart. That accurate.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl
Thanks

Hollywood
07-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Love it! So true, so true.....remember HTs Sam Flynn.........two years in total from announcement to mailings.

Hollywood
07-08-2013, 10:05 AM
This is the first thing I've ever pre ordered from sideshow.
How often are their estimated ship times accurate?

Umm.........well that is a matter of perspective. I have always pre-ordered with the expectation of an average 3 month delay in most cases. Sometimes longer....sometimes on time (rare).

rnbuda
07-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Recent history for me:

Jack Sparrow PF: Right on time.
Indiana Jones Statue: Orginal Estimate June pushed back to September
Droids PF: Delayed for 3-4 months, shipping in 2 weeks.

Cingen
07-08-2013, 10:30 AM
What do you guys think will turn out being the best Vader? This or the Medicom version 2.0? Both will cost around the same for me so..

rnbuda
07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
What do you guys think will turn out being the best Vader? This or the Medicom version 2.0? Both will cost around the same for me so..

Never been a fan of medicom's Vaders. I preordered SSC's due to the accessories, size, etc

Cingen
07-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Never been a fan of medicom's Vaders. I preordered SSC's due to the accessories, size, etc

I loved this one and was dead set on preordering it, but in this topic I saw people whine about his legs being too short making him look like a midget and well.. Now I noticed it too, and it cannot be unseen for me on the pictures :( Hence why I started doubting..

pixletwin
07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I loved this one and was dead set on preordering it, but in this topic I saw people whine about his legs being too short making him look like a midget and well.. Now I noticed it too, and it cannot be unseen for me on the pictures :( Hence why I started doubting..

I thought the same thing when some of the pics of the ANH Vader came out. I foresaw many comments about "Dwarf Vader" in the ANH Vader thread's future...

... we all know how that turned out. Proportions were fine except the height was too much. I have no reason to believe this Vader will be out of proportion and hopefully the height is corrected.

automaton
07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
it isn't just the height that needs to be corrected... it is the proportions of the costume in relation to it as well.

Darth Fok
07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
I concerned about how his face looks when the mask is off. From what I can tell Medicom has nailed it, but this version looks a bit off

jkno
07-08-2013, 10:55 PM
The moment I get this Vader I most likely will sell the ANH Ex Vader. I could have sold it before for big money, but it is not my way.

Jaycepticon
07-09-2013, 08:27 PM
How tall will this version be compared to the ANH one?

jkno
07-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Hopefully shorter. The ANH Vader looks like Eiffel tower next to the Stormies.

punisher1974
07-10-2013, 08:37 AM
I hope Vader is shorter too because he is taller than my classic Predator.

pixletwin
07-10-2013, 08:38 AM
I seem to recall SSC mentioning in chat at SDCC last year (?) that the height would be corrected on this version.

jkno
07-10-2013, 09:02 AM
I seem to recall SSC mentioning in chat at SDCC last year (?) that the height would be corrected on this version.

Hope they won't go on reverse and Medicom it. :D

Mickey Goldmill
07-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Kinda hard to say. I have the 2.0 and the ANH version, the 2.0 just looks better to me on my display. But i will be getting this version as well.

devilof76
07-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Order page says 13.5".

Kuat of Kuat
07-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Order page says 13.5".

6' 9".

Sounds about right.

Dave Prowse was 6' 6" in his socks.

Add boots and a big shiny helmet...

pixletwin
07-10-2013, 10:12 PM
13.5 is also the height most of us arrived at after doing the helmet and height mod/body swap.

TheFiend
07-11-2013, 04:40 AM
I thought the ANH version was 14 inches?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

pixletwin
07-11-2013, 06:26 AM
I thought the ANH version was 14 inches?

It was 14 1/4. :lecture

Wor-Gar
07-11-2013, 08:54 PM
It was 14 1/4. :lecture

:lol That's 7'3"

Shalamar
07-11-2013, 10:09 PM
6' 9".

Sounds about right.

Dave Prowse was 6' 6" in his socks.

Add boots and a big shiny helmet...

Yup. I'm 6'6" in my socks, and 6'10" after boots and helmet.

I look forward to this figure!

TheFiend
07-12-2013, 02:25 AM
^ So you're saying he's too short?!

Canceled. No buy.

Jay1138
07-12-2013, 05:38 AM
He's not an ESB/ROTJ version anyway. So this is a NO buy for me as well.

MandoMan531
07-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Just threw the exclusive on preorder. Don't have a Vader yet, so why not?

Black Label Society
07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
the exclusive is still around? Geesh. they must have made a ton of these.....

MicroJow
07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Looks like this isn't being touted as an ESB / ROTJ mashup anymore...

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Sixth Scale Figure

Item Number: 1000761

Manufactured by: Sideshow Collectibles

Price: US $249.99

Sideshow celebrates the 30th anniversary of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi with the new Darth Vader Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure.

galactiboy
07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Hadn't noticed that... wonder if they're now planning a ESB as well, or if they realized a mash-up wasn't a good idea.

galactiboy
07-12-2013, 01:54 PM
the exclusive is still around? Geesh. they must have made a ton of these.....

They do exclusives based on demand now, rather than a set number. They will eventually set an ES, but it won't be for awhile in order to get as many orders as possible.

But rest assured this one (like the ANH) will eventually sell out and will go up in value. Even if it is flawed, it's still Vader and the one figure people will want above others.

Mad Old Lu
07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Whaat?!? Really?!?

*Goes to check Sideshow website*

Well would you look at that! I wonder if that means we'll eventually get an ESB Vader!

Natrix
07-12-2013, 02:18 PM

Sixth Scale Figure

Sideshow celebrates the 30th anniversary of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi with the new Darth Vader Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure.

The pre-order e-mail notice had the ROTJ 30th Anniversary logo on the picture and I believe said that on the product page when the pre-orders opened, not really anything new there.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/emailimages/TM_VaderFigure1000761_05242013_04.jpg

pixletwin
07-12-2013, 02:56 PM

Sixth Scale Figure

Hadn't noticed that... wonder if they're now planning a ESB as well, or if they realized a mash-up wasn't a good idea.

Post by me over a month ago. :panic::panic::panic:

....but stern is more generlizable given this is intended to serve both ESB and ROTJ.

It is?

[B]I know that was SSC's intentions originally, but it is listed now as - very specifically - Return of the Jedi Vader.

Gboy. Do ya got'd me on the ignore? :monkey2

MicroJow
07-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Oh. Sorry 'bout that. I'll go troll back through the hundreds of posts until I find that info since I didn't read every post in this thread.

On second thought, nah, I won't. :)

- MJ

pixletwin
07-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Your name Gboy? No? I guess it wasn't directed at you then. :joy

MicroJow
07-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Woops. Didn't mean to copy that part of the post.

Nice avatar, BTW. My friends have been telling me to check out Doctor Who for years and I just got An Unearthly Child from Netflix!

- MJ

pixletwin
07-12-2013, 04:31 PM
I recommend it. But be prepared. It is slow paced, low budget, and black and white. But as long as that doesn't bother you it's a fun beginning to a great show.

devilof76
07-12-2013, 11:12 PM

You got'd me on ignore? I posted it almost two months ago. :cool:

I just noticed that he has the ROTJ saber (even though someone already said it). It says Return of the Jedi on the order page too.

Doesn't seem as hybrid anymore. I wonder if that means we'll still get a straight up ESB Vader.

pixletwin
07-13-2013, 05:11 AM
Would someone quote devil please? I have him on ignore but I have a feeling I should read this.

Darth Waller
07-13-2013, 05:24 AM
Would someone quote devil please? I have him on ignore but I have a feeling I should read this.

He says he doesn't like you and that galactiboy doesn't like you either.

King Darkness
07-13-2013, 05:30 AM
That's not saying much, no one likes devilof76.

Kuat of Kuat
07-13-2013, 06:40 AM
This little one's not worth the effort. Come, let me get you something.

:wink1:

TheFiend
07-13-2013, 06:48 AM

Sixth Scale Figure

I wonder what other ROTJ stuff we'll see this year. It would be a perfect time to get out a ROTJ Fett but with the white proto I doubt that will happen.

devilof76
07-15-2013, 08:00 AM
That's not saying much, no one likes devilof76.

I like me. :dunno

But, I like a lot of people that no one likes. Like pixletwin. And King Darkness. I am not exactly the high watermark when it come to judging character.

barryo
07-15-2013, 08:10 AM
http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/customavatars/avatar3244_28.gif + http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/customavatars/avatar715_15.gif = http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SW3xGTTfYdY/T9lJPK8b8fI/AAAAAAAADdc/8UhLzu7SY_I/s1600/gargoyles+pict.jpg&sa=X&ei=UxDkUa8cy6yoAY6egcgO&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEAminvZRshm9WNWTJZrZnVNnDixA

pixletwin
07-15-2013, 08:14 AM
:lol :lol :lol

RavenEye
07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/customavatars/avatar3244_28.gif + http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/customavatars/avatar715_15.gif = http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SW3xGTTfYdY/T9lJPK8b8fI/AAAAAAAADdc/8UhLzu7SY_I/s1600/gargoyles+pict.jpg&sa=X&ei=UxDkUa8cy6yoAY6egcgO&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEAminvZRshm9WNWTJZrZnVNnDixA

Oh... damn! :rotfl

King Darkness
07-16-2013, 12:48 AM
I like a lot of people that no one likes. Like pixletwin. And King Darkness.

People don't like me.......but....why.....

http://www.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sad-gif1.gif

Brilliant!

Wanna watch Gargoyles now.

devilof76
07-16-2013, 02:11 AM
I've never seen it, so I'm not sure why barryo felt the need to mock your handicapped literacy.

King Darkness
07-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Is my handicapped literacy why no one likes me?

devilof76
07-16-2013, 02:24 AM
No. It's because you moved to China and Sideshow's paint didn't get any better.

You thought no one knew?

King Darkness
07-16-2013, 02:29 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwh3ez1jGp1qccjmlo1_500.gif

TheFiend
07-16-2013, 02:30 AM
I've never seen it, so I'm not sure why barryo felt the need to mock your handicapped literacy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Kz6G8174w

devilof76
07-16-2013, 02:36 AM
Wow. That's older than I had guessed.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwh3ez1jGp1qccjmlo1_500.gif

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm401/devilof76/tumblr_m7fc10xk4i1rq71ks.gif

King Darkness
07-16-2013, 02:44 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/grumpy-cat.gif

devilof76
07-16-2013, 02:50 AM
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm401/devilof76/pup_zpsc81b39bc.jpg

King Darkness
07-16-2013, 02:56 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq348dvJun1qkejjno1_500.gif

devilof76
07-16-2013, 02:59 AM
http://static.tumblr.com/bc4ucoa/3dLlzpq3r/tumblr_lzexflogc91r3ro6ho1_500.gif

King Darkness
07-16-2013, 03:04 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/meh_Gif.gif

devilof76
07-16-2013, 03:11 AM
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm401/devilof76/tumblr_mmyiz10uWg1ruga2ao1_500_zps4f56faf4.gif

King Darkness
07-16-2013, 03:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ZbrUh.gif

devilof76
07-16-2013, 03:18 AM
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/166/c/d/tony_stark_gif_by_foxedpeople-d53kdjz.gif

King Darkness
07-16-2013, 03:25 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb9lbctYre1r7ik2zo1_500.gif

EVILFACE
07-16-2013, 03:26 AM
Ugh, she needs to take that yellow outfit off right meow!

devilof76
07-16-2013, 03:33 AM
Stacy Dash was the hot one.

Still is. She's smart too.

King Darkness
07-16-2013, 03:37 AM
I won't kick either one out of bed. Hot hot, especially back then. Yum.