Gundam Collectibles/Model Kits

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamhaul

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I know this forum isn't for stuff like this low-end but im curious as to how many people actually collect Gundam collectibles. I started my collection with Gundam model kits and I've moved onto high-end stuff. So yeah any Gundam fans? :monkey1

I have a soft spot for the Gundam Wing series as I grew up watching that show. I kinda collect the Bandai action figures for them, but I'm still missing the Version 2 Wing Zero and Altron. If I recall correctly, there's going to be a Damashii or something for Wing Zero. I may look into it, but really only interested if they release the entire line. Now model kits... I have little interest.

I have quite a few Robot Damashii Gundam figures and a few Master Grade kits I have built. Overall, I wish Bandai didn't have such a monopoly over the Japanese figure industry when it comes to a lot of licenses and types of figures. To be blunt, despite decades of experience, I still am unimpressed by their model kits, of which become more expensive and yet are still highly flawed. Specifically the Sinanju Master Grade kit is an excellent example. I also hear the original Unicorn MG kits were rather lackluster too. Very expensive and not up to standards. Simply put, Bandai is probably my most hated company in the industry. High end prices, website exclusives, accessories sold separately, stands are almost never included, etc... These guys are the worst of the worst, comparable to the EA of figurines, but much much worse.

Registered just so I can reply to this.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but what is the basis of you calling Bandai the worst of the worst?

Compared to their competitors like Kotobukiya or Wave, they have the best quality of plastic and and most of the time, you can get an accurate color scheme by a straight out of the box build.

I'll use Kotobukiya as an example since they're probably the second biggest sci-fi plastic model makers. Their line of Super Robot Wars, Muv-Luv, Zoids, and Armored Core lines are comparable to the Master Grade line by Bandai both scale and detail wise but Bandai is generally cheaper.

And can you tell me examples of why the MG Sinanju is an excellent example of a highly flawed kit? The Sinanju was generally received very well and is still one of the most impressive MG kit. As for the original MG Unicorn... they had to take something from articulation to make it transform.

As for website exclusives, they are generally color variations and most model kits do not include stands as well.

I should note that this ONLY applies to the model kits since I don't have any figures other than one Robot Damashi which I was pretty underwhelmed and would not have bought if it wasn't on clearance.

Registered just so I can reply to this.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but what is the basis of you calling Bandai the worst of the worst?

Compared to their competitors like Kotobukiya or Wave, they have the best quality of plastic and and most of the time, you can get an accurate color scheme by a straight out of the box build.

I'll use Kotobukiya as an example since they're probably the second biggest sci-fi plastic model makers. Their line of Super Robot Wars, Muv-Luv, Zoids, and Armored Core lines are comparable to the Master Grade line by Bandai both scale and detail wise but Bandai is generally cheaper.

And can you tell me examples of why the MG Sinanju is an excellent example of a highly flawed kit? The Sinanju was generally received very well and is still one of the most impressive MG kit. As for the original MG Unicorn... they had to take something from articulation to make it transform.

As for website exclusives, they are generally color variations and most model kits do not include stands as well.

I should note that this ONLY applies to the model kits since I don't have any figures other than one Robot Damashi which I was pretty underwhelmed and would not have bought if it wasn't on clearance.

agree with you on this..Sinanju flawed how ? Bandai Gundam models are among the most well engineered kits imho...and there's something for everyone from beginners to experts..I've been building them from the late eighties till now..I did slow down a bit but the details they put in every kit..the design..the posable frames.even HT or Enterbay can't touch the design and flexibility of these kits and I love both brands...

btw, there is a thread for this already :wink1:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21141&highlight=Gundam

I wouldn't call gundam model kits low end at all, especially Master Grade and Perfect Grade. I have 4 MG kits and the only reason I don't have a PG kit is because I wouldn't be able to afford the paint to paint the figure. I spend about as much money on paint as I do for my figures. So a PG kit would cost 200+ for me. it's even worse when the kit comes with add ons like wings or a jet of some sort.

Would have accepted Monger's opinion if he had acceptable reasons..

But seeing as he didn't even reply to a PM, I'd just say his post regarding Bandai being worst of the worst as clueless

Bam! Preordered me my first Robot Damashii! Wing Zero! Can't wait for the Altron they revealed. May even pick up a Leo!

Just curious, are there Gundam Wing collectibles forums? I have a hunch there aren't many Gundam collectors here...

I wouldn't call gundam model kits low end at all, especially Master Grade and Perfect Grade. .

Yeah I had the Perfect Grade Wing Zero kit a while back, it was incredibly cool. Though it was way beyond my skill level and I borked it up something fierce, I never could get the electronics to work and didn't screw the frame together tight enough so it couldn't hold poses.

:(

I love gundam, I use to have the msia's when I was a kid, now I'm buying damashii figs, so awesome and so much detail!

Bam! Preordered me my first Robot Damashii! Wing Zero! Can't wait for the Altron they revealed. May even pick up a Leo!

Just curious, are there Gundam Wing collectibles forums? I have a hunch there aren't many Gundam collectors here...

Robotjapans boards are pretty active for japanese figures, they have a forum like ours here.

https://robotjapan.proboards.com/index.cgi#modernrbts

if you scroll down you'll see the gundam board

I have a soft spot for the Gundam Wing series as I grew up watching that show. I kinda collect the Bandai action figures for them, but I'm still missing the Version 2 Wing Zero and Altron. If I recall correctly, there's going to be a Damashii or something for Wing Zero. I may look into it, but really only interested if they release the entire line. Now model kits... I have little interest.

I collected the super deformed models a long time ago, when I was about 10 I think. I watched Gundam Wing in high school, that was my first proper experience of a Gundam show. I moved onto classic 0079 later, then the side stories. IMO the universal century timeline is the best.

I have a few of the master grade kits Bandai made: RX-78 Gundam, space Zaku, Gouf. If I had known better years ago, I'd have done the spray painting, shading, etc to make those kits look truly awesome.

PG Gundam kits are not low end. Trust me.
I hold these right up there with my HT stuff.

Can't wait for my Damashii Wing Zero to get shipped! I think I'm drawn more towards Gundam action figures is simply because I'm terrified about putting together a model kit lol

Yeah! I've got three PG'a, two HMM Zoid kits and a Macross Valk unbuilt either too sell or put together. Looking at all those parts though is very daunting lol

I got lots of those.... Never have time to paint them, I am also looking for artist to do it , Hong kong cost too much to do so

That's the thing. Putting them together is one thing but to make them look the part they must be painted and weathered. I've got a space in my schedule and really fancy having a crack at one of them...

Hmm Monger deleted his post without ever replying to his post or pm explaining the reasoning behind his post

The MG / RG kits are so well made nowadays, they look spiffy enough with panel lines and a matte coat, along with a few of the details painted in. (Just a few nooks and cracks, plus the funnels)

But I have given way nowadays, as the matte coating is ridiculously overpriced here, and the place I used to get them from no longer ships aerosol cans overseas.

Back