Painting with brushes instead of airbrushes.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman/Darrel

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey all.

I was wondering if there are any tricks or tips anyone can give for using regular brushes instead of an airbrush to paint heads. I know using an airbrush is preferable but I don't have one and doubt I'll be able to get one. I'd like to try to get that skin pores look if possible. At the very least I'd like to try to do it without that brushstroke look. I'm wondering if there are any tricks to it.

I've seen a few of the tutorials on painting but the ones I've seen all use airbrushes. I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who don't have and can't get a airbrush set.

Any advice any of you can give would be great.

Thanks. :)

I have upgraded to a airbrush now but the best tip i can give to avoid brush marks is to thin your paint with water and some acrylic paint retarder and use a wide and flat soft brush. This slows slows down the drying time so any brush marks have a chance to flatten out.

When you are looking to shade i add small amounts of mahogany brown and burnt umber to my flesh tone in dipped areas and add a small amount of off white to the basic flesh tone for raised areas.
Only add small amounts of the shading color so that it blends well. You may need to repeat a few times to see a difference. But the key with shading is to be very subtle.

Also it will take a lot trial and error as you will need to find out what technique works best for you.

I have upgraded to a airbrush now but the best tip i can give to avoid brush marks is to thin your paint with water and some acrylic paint retarder and use a wide and flat soft brush. This slows slows down the drying time so any brush marks have a chance to flatten out.

When you are looking to shade i add small amounts of mahogany brown and burnt umber to my flesh tone in dipped areas and add a small amount of off white to the basic flesh tone for raised areas.
Only add small amounts of the shading color so that it blends well. You may need to repeat a few times to see a difference. But the key with shading is to be very subtle.

Also it will take a lot trial and error as you will need to find out what technique works best for you.
Thanks, I was wondering about what to use for shading.:)

Back