Customizing old 12" Mego figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman/Darrel

Freaked Out
Reaction score
First off, I know using the old 12" Megos is not as good as using Hot Toys bodies but when you're poor and all you have at the moment is some old megos, You have to work with what you got. :lol

Now, That being said, Have any of you guys ever done repaints on mego heads? If so what would you say is the best type of paint to use for skin color? :)

A lot of the old Megos had greying issues which also tended to leave the heads feeling "tacky". They would have to be stripped of the existing paint, then sealed, then repainted. Acrylics probably being the best choice of paint type.
From the many times I have attempted painting, there is no one color for skin tone. Asking many of the premium painters and reviewing thru their posts and tutorials, it always sees to be a mix of white and umber and sienna ....
Way too much trouble for me. I even went to lowes and had them try and color match a few heads. The area on the heads isn't big enough for a proper scan and there was too much grey in it.
Still trying though. If I come up with the perfect [or even suitable] one coat skin tone, I'll let you know.

A lot of the old Megos had greying issues which also tended to leave the heads feeling "tacky". They would have to be stripped of the existing paint, then sealed, then repainted. Acrylics probably being the best choice of paint type.
From the many times I have attempted painting, there is no one color for skin tone. Asking many of the premium painters and reviewing thru their posts and tutorials, it always sees to be a mix of white and umber and sienna ....
Way too much trouble for me. I even went to lowes and had them try and color match a few heads. The area on the heads isn't big enough for a proper scan and there was too much grey in it.
Still trying though. If I come up with the perfect [or even suitable] one coat skin tone, I'll let you know.
I've got a Lex Luthor mego 12" figure. Years ago I painted him with silver paint trying to make a Captain Atom. I've been able to get the paint off the head but he still has a silver under tone to him. I wanted to repaint the skintone back to normal or better than it was but I'm not sure how to go about it.

For a mego the Luthor head sculpt is pretty good. It looks more like Gene Hackman than Mattel's IMO.

12luthorhead.jpg

dculexluthor2.jpg

I don't think either really resemble Hackman, but the best way to find the proper skintone is likely to be either:
- patiently mixing and remixing colors until you find one you're satisfied with
- read through the threads here and on the OSW for tutorials on skintone and color mixing the right tones
- or, as a longer shot, maybe taking the nude Mego to a Lowes/Home Depot type store and see if they can get a color match off the torso. It just might be large enough for them to use for it.

I don't think either really resemble Hackman, but the best way to find the proper skintone is likely to be either:
- patiently mixing and remixing colors until you find one you're satisfied with
- read through the threads here and on the OSW for tutorials on skintone and color mixing the right tones
- or, as a longer shot, maybe taking the nude Mego to a Lowes/Home Depot type store and see if they can get a color match off the torso. It just might be large enough for them to use for it.
Oh I agree that it's not a great likeness but between the two I like the mego better.

I've read and saw, on Youtube, a few of the tutorials, and they have helped on skintones, but the ones I've seen all use airbrushes. I don't have one and doubt I'll be able to get one. Do you, or anyone here, know of a tutorial for using brushes? I'd like to try to get that skin pores look if possible. At the very least I'd like to try to do it without that brushstroke look. I'm wondering if there are any tricks to it. :)

Can't wait to see how he turns out for you!

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have an extra set of those green, plastic wrist gauntlets Lex wore would you?

Can't wait to see how he turns out for you!

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have an extra set of those green, plastic wrist gauntlets Lex wore would you?
No sorry, They got lost in the sands of time along with the rest of his costume. All I've got left are his boots.

I've started on the repaint, Got the first coat down. I think it's going to take a few more to get it right but for a first time try I think it's going OK.

Back