So Most Superheros Are Against the Death Penalty

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
Spider-man, Superman, and Batman believe one should ever be killed for the crimes they commit. They never purposefully kill anyone because they believe it is wrong. If you kill someone you are no better than them. That is what they believe.

Suck it death penalty advocates, the important superheros are against you.

Spidey wanted to kill the killer of Jean DeWolf, but Daredevil had to stop him. Cap would kill if necessary. Hulk would if someone were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Batman is a bad example because he's nuts. Wonder Woman would kill an enemy in the right situation. Seems it is a mixed bag to me.

Spidey wanted to kill the killer of Jean DeWolf, but Daredevil had to stop him. Cap would kill if necessary. Hulk would if someone were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Batman is a bad example because he's nuts. Wonder Woman would kill an enemy in the right situation. Seems it is a mixed bag to me.

I like the bolded statement. :lol

Yep. I didn't mention Wolverine and of course THE PUNISHER! Ahhh.

You are right. But we can admit Batman, Superman, and Spider-man are for the most part against the death penalty.

So, let me go one step further and say that therefore Batman, Superman, and Spider-man are Democrats. Where we can take it from here idk

LOL Just because those guys don't think they should kill someone doesn't mean that they also don't think the legal system should allow for it. And like I said before, Spidey was willing to kill a guy in the heat of the moment before. Supes has destroyed Metallo and Braniac before a few times anyway, probably intending to "kill" them. And on top of all that, being "democrat" doesn't necessarily mean you are against the death penalty, nor does being "republican" mean that you are for it.

On a side note, it is interesting to note that the U.S. is the only economically developed, western country that allows for the legally sanctioned killing of criminals. So I guess the majority of non-U.S. based heroes holding the perspective of their legal/political system would automatically be a "democrat."

Batman kills and is most definitely for the death penalty.

Spider-man, Superman, and Batman believe one should ever be killed for the crimes they commit. They never purposefully kill anyone because they believe it is wrong. If you kill someone you are no better than them. That is what they believe.

Suck it death penalty advocates, the important superheros are against you.

Yet, in being against taking that step, they've caused/allowed hundreds (and in some cases thousands) of innocent lives to be lost at the hands of the criminals they get incarcerated which they know will eventually only just escape again.

Batman kills and is most definitely for the death penalty.
You mean Keaton Bats? Guy is a homicidal maniac! The more deaths, the better! :lol

I can't remember if the Burton Batman movies had an Arkham Asylum, but if they did, I bet Keaton would have tried to blow it up with all the inmates inside.

I cheered for this one.

79512-166374-wonder-woman_super.jpg

I was under the impression that he didn't deal in executions because he saw it as the law's job to sentence. It's what separates him from vigilantes. Batman is not the Punisher. The Joker could have been given the death penalty many times over. I really don't think Batman would have cared. The problem is that the bleeding hearts keep putting him in Arkham.

The idea that Batman lets the law decide the real fate of the criminals he captures is the most conventional interpretation of modern Batman, going back at least to Dark Knight Returns (where he goes on about not being able to kill Joker). Those examples Fabio links to are either dated or atypical.

As to whether or not he would accept a death penalty, it would probably depend on whether or not that was acceptable in the DC Universe's justice system. Of course, the DC earth isn't the same as the real world earth that the Marvel characters inhabit, and lots of little things are different. If Batman were wholly against such a thing, then he might make an exception for cases where he thought criminals might get the death penalty, and lock them up in the Wayne cave or something.

Well there are exceptions to those interpretations you listed that aren't just atypical. For instance, you listed Dark Knight Returns. Don't forget that he mows down a mutant goon with a machine gun when he threatens to kill a child. There's others too. That guy has a great blog but there's a ton of history and stories out there.

I've never read anything earlier than TDKR, so I share that interpretation. I can definitely see him taking illegal actions if he thought the law was wrong. I also wonder how long it will take some modern writer to decide that he's opposed to capital punishment per se.

Batman as I know him is a zealot for justice. Doesn't make him infallible though. I thought he was at his craziest when he turned his back on Diana for killing Maxwell Lord. "We don't kill." Ok, bub. Superman just mangled you. I could see his point if he was anticipating the problems that followed, but I think it was more his paranoia in regard to the amount of power the JLA wielded. They shouldn't need to kill to achieve their objectives. Lord presented them with what he thought would be an impossible dilemma, and if it had been Batman who had to make that decision, I'd like to know what he'd do. Not too many ways around a guy with telekinetic control of the most powerful man in the world.

Sometimes I like her a lot more than him.

Back