PDA

View Full Version : red color coming of Captain Americas shield

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 06:02 AM
i cant believe it:gah:
there a little spots of red color coming of capos shield!!!does anyone have the same problem??i noticed a little silver spot at first,then i slightly rubbed over it,because i thought it was dust or something,but more color came of the surface:horror i only have this figure for 2 month or so.this cant be true:thud: QC ,hot toys???ever heard of it??:exactly:

SSC EX Hunter
05-20-2012, 06:24 AM
I can attest to what you said

lerath666
05-20-2012, 06:43 AM
there a little spots of red color coming of capos shield!!!does anyone have the same problem??i noticed a little silver spot at first,then i slightly rubbed over it,because i thought it was dust or something,but more color came of the surface:horror i only have this figure for 2 month or so.this cant be true:thud: QC ,hot toys???ever heard of it??:exactly:

Hot toys, QC? You're clearly new to them.

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Hot toys, QC? You're clearly new to them.

no,thats my 8th figure,so i know them.actually,that was a sarcastic remark,me asking for the QC:mad:

Uncanny Web-Slinger
05-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Doesn't bode well for the Avengers Cap's shield

Centrocal
05-20-2012, 08:27 AM
there a little spots of red color coming of capos shield!!!

could you take some pictures ?

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 08:45 AM
so,here are the sad pictures of a battle damaged shield that never saw battle...:gah::gah::gah:
boy,am i pissed:mad::gah::mad:

SixthScaleEdward
05-20-2012, 08:47 AM
So much for "electroplated" :lol

Centrocal
05-20-2012, 08:53 AM
so,here are the sad pictures of a battle damaged shield that never saw battle...:gah::gah::gah:
boy,am i pissed:mad::gah::mad:

send them the pics

cs@hottoys.com.hk

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 09:00 AM
send them the pics

cs@hottoys.com.hk

consider it done!!:mad:

Kamandi
05-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Is the sheild actually diecast metal? If so there are paints that simulate an anodized finish and might be a decent touch up. If Sideshow or HT can't help you, it may be an option.

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Is the sheild actually diecast metal? If so there are paints that simulate an anodized finish and might be a decent touch up. If Sideshow or HT can't help you, it may be an option.

no,its plastic:gah:

Jokes & Bats
05-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Much anger I sense in you. You know what that does...

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Much anger I sense in you. You know what that does...

oooh yeeah:gah:
my co-workers actually say, with my biceps i should stunt double the hulk
:lol

greymask
05-20-2012, 09:15 AM
wow, looks like all hot toys released product tend to have a problem in the future, even the rubber free one :slap
If it was paint fading, we can repaint it
But how about this electroplated shield?

galmando
05-20-2012, 09:21 AM
i've not noticed this yey

i'll have a look at mine when i get home later

was yours just sat in a detolf? i oculd appreciate a few marks with excessive handling, such as varying the pose.

of course i could only understand the above if you were using wire brush gloves whilst doing this, but nonetheless if it's just been sat in a cabinet then this is crazy

CRAZY I TELL YOU!

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 09:27 AM
well,i moved it about 4 times,touching the shield barely,and bye the way,it should be able to withstand some touching,right??

galmando
05-20-2012, 09:30 AM
well,i moved it about 4 times,touching the shield barely,and bye the way,it should be able to withstand some touching,right??

daymn straight it should!!

greymask
05-20-2012, 09:37 AM

Well, my mark 6 has some gold paint fading in right bicep and both thigh
I believe this happened because I change the pose frequently, about 3-4 days per pose
Of course I touch it more than 4 times, but the lesson I learnt from hot toys is the more you touch them, the closer they come to have a problem such as paint fading, etc :slap

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Well, my mark 6 has some gold paint fading in right bicep and both thigh
I believe this happened because I change the pose frequently, about 3-4 days per pose
Of course I touch it more than 4 times, but the lesson I learnt from hot toys is the more you touch them, the closer they come to have a problem such as paint fading, etc :slap
totally unacceptable regarding their prices:mad::exactly::gah::mad:

lerath666
05-20-2012, 10:02 AM
I agree completely, heence my comment on shoddy QC.
We have leaky rubber suits.
We have 200$ rubber bodies that rot and tear to pieces in less than 2 years.
and now we have flakey paint from cap sheilds.
Wheee.

I honestly dont think Hot toys does ANY sort of research into some of the things they try to release.

Kamandi
05-20-2012, 10:03 AM
I expect the red and blue are pigmented clearcoats over an electrostatic metal finish. The paint doesn't have a direct bond to the plastic because the faux-metal finish is in the way.

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 10:08 AM
:pfft:actually,i dont care how they do it,but the paint better stays on!!!!!!

Kamandi
05-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I guess what I'm saying is I bet all the cap shield will do this.

RagingBull
05-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Thats the problem with HT now. When I 1st got into HT there was very little QC problems but now the bigger HT have got as a company there QC just seems to get worse.

mikericm
05-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I hope for those who have the experience with the keaton residual thread, thay this doesn't turn into a

LET FREAK OUT BEFORE WE KNOW THERE IS AN ACTUAL PROBLEM

thread.

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 11:09 AM
I hope for those who have the experience with the keaton residual thread, thay this doesn't turn into a

LET FREAK OUT BEFORE WE KNOW THERE IS AN ACTUAL PROBLEM

thread.

look at the pics,there is a F'### problem,HOUSTON:gah:

mikericm
05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
look at the pics,there is a F'### problem,HOUSTON:gah:

I saw the pics and clearly ONE person has a problem. But again ONE problem does not warrant the need for mass hysteria.

That's why i referenced the keaton batman thread. 100 pages of people freaking out and now, even those who initially had a problem, no longer do.

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 11:52 AM
well initially i did not have a problem,but now i do.and first and for all,i was asking if someone else had the problems,mass hysteria clearly not what i was thinking of.so cool down,my collector friend
and since a lot of people had similar problems on other figures,whats wrong with raising attention?? well, maybe you dont mind spending a lot of money and getting unsatisfying merchandise

SSC EX Hunter
05-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I think it's a certain amount of force you put on it, because mine had seen a mild amount of abuse from my not realizing it was under the lid of the box, and resulted in a small flake like yours.

JonWes
05-20-2012, 12:21 PM
On the bright side for those getting Avengers Cap, at least there is a backup shiny shield there. I'll probably use the shiny shield with Avengers Cap and give the BD shield to this guy.

I have to say, I've had no paint rubbing yet. It's possible it's just a batch of them that didn't adhere properly and its not widespread. I guess we'll see. Sometimes these things take longer to come to light than other depending on environment and handling.

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 12:44 PM
On the bright side for those getting Avengers Cap, at least there is a backup shiny shield there. I'll probably use the shiny shield with Avengers Cap and give the BD shield to this guy.

I have to say, I've had no paint rubbing yet. It's possible it's just a batch of them that didn't adhere properly and its not widespread. I guess we'll see. Sometimes these things take longer to come to light than other depending on environment and handling.

well,lets hope so!:yess:but no help in my case:mad:

mikericm
05-20-2012, 01:20 PM
well initially i did not have a problem,but now i do.and first and for all,i was asking if someone else had the problems,mass hysteria clearly not what i was thinking of.so cool down,my collector friend
and since a lot of people had similar problems on other figures,whats wrong with raising attention?? well, maybe you dont mind spending a lot of money and getting unsatisfying merchandise

I'm cool. You're not taking it into account that it doesn't take much to get people worked up here. I plan on checking my cap when I get home as should everyone who has one. I'm simply saying lets try and keep this peaceful and not like the batman thread. And please dont criticize anything about me or how I like spending my money. You don't know me.

krieg-der-sterne
05-20-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm cool. You're not taking it into account that it doesn't take much to get people worked up here. I plan on checking my cap when I get home as should everyone who has one. I'm simply saying lets try and keep this peaceful and not like the batman thread. And please dont criticize anything about me or how I like spending my money. You don't know me.
not criticizing,just asking

Uncanny Web-Slinger
05-20-2012, 04:41 PM
consider it done!!:mad:

Post them to their fqcebook page too, they'll likely use the same shield for Avengers cap and people deserve to know this is a possibilty

SSC EX Hunter
05-20-2012, 05:22 PM
You have to apply a certain amount of pressure, or impact it with enough force for it to flake.

chRd
05-20-2012, 09:22 PM
hmm the problem is on the red part, could it be the red material that they use for color? the IM line had a problem with the red crotch.. ive no supporting details on this your honor.

Mr. Fusion
05-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Fortunately my Cap's shield hasn't lost any paint. However, I have been extremely careful and still managed to get tiny scratches all over it. The scratches aren't real noticeable unless I take a picture with the flash.:mad:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/mrfusion1138/JMKsHotToysCaptainAmerica11.jpg

The Entity
05-21-2012, 02:37 AM
I noticed some paint flakings on the edge of the shield on my Cap the other day. Nothing major and not really visible either. I hope it won't spread to the rest of the shield.

CTO15
05-24-2012, 07:07 AM
would applying a clear coat (like testors or tamiya) help prevent the flaking? I just noticed the edge of mine has 2 spots that have flaked off

erik352
05-24-2012, 08:17 AM
The paint leak on the shield, could it be from the heat? I once had a japanese action figure that has metallic paint on pvc plastic....since I used to live on a humid country, I notice one day while holding my figure, the paint was going to my hand!!!!

Wor-Gar
05-24-2012, 09:09 AM
electroplated? that must mean something different in China.

krieg-der-sterne
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
well,i send HT a mail ,complaining about the shield discolouring,and asked for a replacement.i got an answer from hot toys,and they said that i had to send them a copy of the sales receipt from my seller in order for my claims to be dealt with. i keep you posted!

Ramatuelle
05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
would applying a clear coat (like testors or tamiya) help prevent the flaking? I just noticed the edge of mine has 2 spots that have flaked off

I was just wondering if some red Tamiya clear would solve the problem, too. Worth a shot anyways....

krieg-der-sterne
05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
I was just wondering if some red Tamiya clear would solve the problem, too. Worth a shot anyways....

was thinking the same thing:exactly:

Natrix
05-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Used it on small chips on the side of the shield chips but it will be hard to use on the face of the shield.

madcy23
05-24-2012, 11:27 AM
This happened to me too. I had it no longer than 2 weeks. I spent a little time posing Cap when I first got him and then put him on the shelf. About 2 weeks later I find this. You can see the paint cracking and lifting. Contacted Sideshow and sent them some picks and they sent me a new one.

krieg-der-sterne
05-24-2012, 01:00 PM
electroplated? that must mean something different in China.

electrocution??:horror

Hirogen
05-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Geez, I have to check my Cap when I get home.

The Ween
05-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Looks like the paint isn't sticking to the shield. I'll have to ask my brother about mine since he's a model builder.

The Ween
05-24-2012, 03:14 PM
If worse comes to worst, you could always make a battle damaged shield out of it.

Ursus3978
05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Fortunately my Cap's shield hasn't lost any paint. However, I have been extremely careful and still managed to get tiny scratches all over it. The scratches aren't real noticeable unless I take a picture with the flash.:mad:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/mrfusion1138/JMKsHotToysCaptainAmerica11.jpg

Mine is like that too.
I fear it's a prelude to the paint chipping.

Damn.
I really like this figure, but I've already had the zipper on the back of the shirt break off and now I'm worried about this stuff w/the shield.

The Side of the Show
05-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm worried as well :(

sauerstuff
05-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Mine is like that too.
I fear it's a prelude to the paint chipping.

Damn.
I really like this figure, but I've already had the zipper on the back of the shirt break off and now I'm worried about this stuff w/the shield.

Yes, unfortunately it's a prelude to that.
Mine was exactly like that and then the painting faded.
:slap

hunterelf
05-26-2012, 11:35 PM
you guys should of spray painted it dull when you got it.
these chrome paint gets oxidized quite easily.

krieg-der-sterne
05-27-2012, 12:40 AM

:pfft:oh,that advice is a little late.isnt it?:tap:exactly:

taylerdurdem
05-27-2012, 06:59 AM

i have the same problem:(
:mad:

Voorhees27
05-27-2012, 07:08 AM
I just noticed this thread/issue :horror I'll be checking mine all the time now. Friggin HT's :monkey4

SixthScaleEdward
05-27-2012, 07:23 AM

Noted :lecture

This issue is nuts :gah:

Kamandi
05-27-2012, 08:33 AM
I have a Hastings not far from here and with a CA on the shelf. I've been seriously tempted.

To the people experiencing issues - how often are you re-posing and making adjustments?

Lee in MI
05-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Why would you want to paint it with dull coat? Wouldn't that make it...dull?

badrat
05-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Can you recommend a brand or what exactly you used?

Ramatuelle
05-27-2012, 09:33 AM

I would suggest extreme caution, because Dull-Cote DOES NOT and I say again, DOES NOT!!!!! "agree" with all types of paint or all surfaces.

BE. CAREFUL. A gloss clear-coat maybe, but a dulling spray...? Careful does it.

krieg-der-sterne
05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
:tap well,well here is the answer from hot toys:

Good day.

Please kindly understand that after-sales service will only be provided for first-hand purchase via official channels.

After-sales service is not applicable for purchase on online auction sites (e.g. eBay, Yahoo) and unofficial channels.

We highly recommend that can purchase from our official dealer that after-sales service can be guaranteed, We do not encourage purchase via other channels. The information of our official dealers as below for your reference:....
:gah::cuckoo:
bla,bla,bla
well,so much for that.i got 2 words for you HOT TOYS,one thats starts with a capital F and the other one with a big Y....:pfft:

luke314pi
05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
As if I needed another reason to hate red paint. Customizers will know what I mean.

karamazov80
05-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Wonderful! One more Hot Toys QC fiasco.

mikericm
05-29-2012, 12:54 PM
:tap well,well here is the answer from hot toys:

Good day.

Please kindly understand that after-sales service will only be provided for first-hand purchase via official channels.

After-sales service is not applicable for purchase on online auction sites (e.g. eBay, Yahoo) and unofficial channels.

We highly recommend that can purchase from our official dealer that after-sales service can be guaranteed, We do not encourage purchase via other channels. The information of our official dealers as below for your reference:....
:gah::cuckoo:
bla,bla,bla
well,so much for that.i got 2 words for you HOT TOYS,one thats starts with a capital F and the other one with a big Y....:pfft:

It sucks that you're having problems with this. And I hope it gets better.

But I don't think its uncommon practice for a company to only guantee their products from a licenced dealer. How does SSC or HT know if the item you bought from someone on ebay had been tampered with before you got it? That's why they have agreenments with dealers like sideshow, and all the others. Again it sucks you're going through this, but I would go after the seller, not the manufacturer. If your car is under warranty and breaks down, you take it to the dealer, not the factory where it was built. Have you tried contacting the seller?

krieg-der-sterne
05-29-2012, 01:39 PM
It sucks that you're having problems with this. And I hope it gets better.

But I don't think its uncommon practice for a company to only guantee their products from a licenced dealer. How does SSC or HT know if the item you bought from someone on ebay had been tampered with before you got it? That's why they have agreenments with dealers like sideshow, and all the others. Again it sucks you're going through this, but I would go after the seller, not the manufacturer. If your car is under warranty and breaks down, you take it to the dealer, not the factory where it was built. Have you tried contacting the seller?
i agree to a part with you.
i think there is a hole in their logic:why should a "official" distributor be more helpful or responsible for the failure in quality,when actually they are the ones who made it? i mean,if a sealed mint in the box figure stinks after a couple of weeks,i dont care who sold it,the one who made is the jack ass!and the "official " distributor will only pass the complaint along to HT.

amusedjester
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
holy crap, now I gotta look at my shield, too. One more reason as to why I am beginning to get a lukewarm feeling towards HT. Their products look great but I feel that they may be rushing things too much and forsaking quality. Add to that the increase in price. The list just gets longer...

My shield still looks pristine as far as I can see.

unboxingsgalore
05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Honestly, the shield is best looked at and never touched.

CTO15
05-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Honestly, the shield is best looked at and never touched.

The problem is we don't touch the shield and the paint still flakes off

Jiminydog
04-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Just noticed this problem is happening to mine. Red paint on shield just flaking off.

MegaPrime33
04-02-2014, 06:46 AM
Mine was pristine for awhile and I just noticed the other day it's flaking in small areas.

dw316
04-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Tamiya-79 :lecture

Pro Design
04-02-2014, 09:49 AM
my suggestion would be to do clear coat as soon as you can, no matter who you are.

as reference, i clear coated mine a month or so back... it was starting to flake. i hit it with 2 coats and was well coated. you still can get a tiny bit to flake off if you handle it roughly... and by roughly i mean with not a lot of force! just messing around with it taking it on and off i noticed a couple tiny speck size spots that still flaked!

Centrocal
04-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Its a non issue now. Just get the diecast shield once its available.

Ropen
04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Damn chinese paint, I had the same issue with Bandai saint seiya figures over chrome painting. I used Tamiya Clear paint to fix them, but still after a while the plastic chrome paint just completely flakes and the only way to fix is to repaint them completely. I can't believe the Captain america shield is the same way, I don't know why any toy made in china in regards to paint on plastic pieces are acting up. Saint Cloth Myth EX figures armor in plastic just completely dissapears...

Y4NK33 PL4N3T
04-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Damn chinese paint, I had the same issue with Bandai saint seiya figures over chrome painting. I used Tamiya Clear paint to fix them, but still after a while the plastic chrome paint just completely flakes and the only way to fix is to repaint them completely. I can't believe the Captain america shield is the same way, I don't know why any toy made in china in regards to paint on plastic pieces are acting up. Saint Cloth Myth EX figures armor in plastic just completely dissapears...

So the Tamiya coat can't even save these in the long run?

dw316 might cry when he finds out. :lol :monkey3

Ropen
04-02-2014, 12:58 PM
The problem lies on the chrome paint. Unless you paint over a metallic surface it would work, but the chrome itself is the problem when they electroplate it.

I tried avoiding this issue by applying clear gloss coats on the pieces themselves when I get them but over time the paint underneath just completely flakes under the coat...

Sent from Le iPhone 5S using Tapatalk - now Free

Pro Design
04-02-2014, 05:00 PM
I really think the only way you'll be safe for the long haul is to put multiple coats on and build it up so you have a fairly large layer over everything which will keep the paint in place under the clear. A couple thin layers of clear coat won't cut it... looks like it'll have to be on there pretty thick from a bunch of coats. Which will still look better in my opinion than the way too shiny stock shield.

badrat
04-02-2014, 07:16 PM
TS-79 is the best thing you can use to protect your shields. It also dulls the shiny shields to give them a more movie accurate look. I picked some up this weekend. Couldn't save one of my shiny shields, but I did manage to save the other one and the battle damaged one that comes with the Avengers CA.

Ropen
04-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Ts-79 can be dangerous, spray it too close and it will smear the plastic rather than protect it... But acrylic is more of a silky touch rather than the enamel gloss coats, either way enamel has like an amber tone on white paint!

spiderbo
04-04-2014, 06:36 AM
They are doing a diecast version?

Ninjaknight
04-05-2014, 12:25 AM
They are doing a diecast version?

True but won't it be too heavy for some poses?

yllum
04-05-2014, 01:02 AM
Ok newbie here!.. so i have to spray from a far distance right?

is 30cm away good enough?

Thanks in advance!

yllum
04-05-2014, 01:04 AM
So the Tamiya coat can't even save these in the long run?

dw316 might cry when he finds out. :lol :monkey3

I would like to know if the tamiya coat can't save these in long run?

Unclechopchop
04-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Hot toys strikes again......and again, and again......

Ropen
04-06-2014, 11:29 PM
I would like to know if the tamiya coat can't save these in long run?

NO. The problem is the electroplating. The paint would still crack from underneath the coat underneath and still shed. This has happened with numerous amounts of figures I have had that has chinese paints messed up problems... This uber frustating.

yllum
04-07-2014, 03:52 AM
NO. The problem is the electroplating. The paint would still crack from underneath the coat underneath and still shed. This has happened with numerous amounts of figures I have had that has chinese paints messed up problems... This uber frustating.

Omg..there is no way to save it then? I read so many recommendation that ts -79 can save it. Thought we found the solution

Ropen
04-07-2014, 04:10 AM
A temporary one, the truly best way to save them is to repaint them

yllum
04-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Should we spray the avengers battle damaged one? Since it is not those shiny paint?

Samuraimasta
04-07-2014, 11:57 AM
I have a question: If I got the Stealth Captain & Steve Rogers set that is out now, would it be feasible to paint the BD version into regular version by myself and expect decent results?

guy66657
04-09-2014, 02:40 AM
Are there pics of anyone who modded their shield with the Tamiya spray?

Pro Design
04-09-2014, 06:37 AM
Are there pics of anyone who modded their shield with the Tamiya spray?

from another post...

looks 1000 times better after the coat. so much more accurate to the movie...

before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Si-Rus/20130214_235007_zpsc919d1e0.jpg

after:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Si-Rus/20130214_235037_zps8dacb835.jpg

guy66657
04-09-2014, 01:53 PM
from another post...

before:

after:

Holy crap, yeah I totally might do that with my shields. Which Tamiya spray was it? and do you know how to spray the shield, exactly?

Pro Design
04-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Ts79

Just spray it about 8" away. Start off the shield and go across in 1 pass. Let sit for 1/2 hr and repeat. I'd hit it at least 4-5 times to get a decent build up and a solid seal.

guy66657
04-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Ts79

Just spray it about 8" away. Start off the shield and go across in 1 pass. Let sit for 1/2 hr and repeat. I'd hit it at least 4-5 times to get a decent build up and a solid seal.

Thank you very much good sir! This might just save me some extra cash instead of buying extra diecast shields from the GA Cap when that eventually releases.

yllum
04-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Holy crap, yeah I totally might do that with my shields. Which Tamiya spray was it? and do you know how to spray the shield, exactly?

Do we spray on the battle damaged one too? Do you have pics of that? :)

guy66657
04-10-2014, 01:19 AM
Haha I dunno dude, I sold my battle damaged shield.

Pro Design
04-10-2014, 09:15 AM
from what i understand... both versions need it or eventually it will flake bad. either way it still can as i mentioned earlier in this post... it will just keep it manageable. plus again, it looks 100 times more realistic than the overly shiny shields.

Jiminydog
04-11-2014, 05:37 AM
I tried contacting HT to see about getting a replacement (I know, it's a longshot) but only heard crickets. Anybody got an email address?

Kibishii
04-11-2014, 06:11 PM
I just checked my Captain America: First Avenger and the red is flaking off his shield as well; I will try to take pictures and post them later tonight.

Knightstalker
04-20-2014, 01:28 AM
Yeah this is frustrating, just noticed the red is flaking off my Cap:FA shield. Gonna have to try the Tamiya route

CaptnRex
04-20-2014, 02:51 AM
Mine is still perfect. Lucky or is the issue not that wide spread?

guy66657
04-20-2014, 03:29 AM
I think it may depend on some things. My Avengers Cap shield is perfect but he hasn't been touched since I put him on display, really XD

Knightstalker
04-20-2014, 03:44 AM
I think it may depend on some things. My Avengers Cap shield is perfect but he hasn't been touched since I put him on display, really XD

It's weird because my Avengers Cap shield is perfect, and I've had him pretty much as long as I've had the FA one

Knightstalker
04-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Oh well, just swapped it out for the battled damaged shield. Not sure, but it seems like better quality, and I like the matt finish on it. Suits the FA Cap too

badrat
04-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Do we spray on the battle damaged one too? Do you have pics of that? :)

I did the battle damaged one too.

chewdeezy
04-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Mine is still perfect. Lucky or is the issue not that wide spread?

I thought mines were perfect until they started flaking. I would just spray it just in case unless you like the flaking since it resembles battle damaged...

Henry Morgan*
04-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Last time I checked (a month ago) my Avengers Cap was ok, both shield were fine :dunno this really sucks... I PO'd every new Cap now, I hope the new shields don't have this problem

Antihero
04-21-2014, 03:43 AM
Mine is bad, I'm planning to strip the paint by either dunking the shield in brake fluid or spraying with oven cleaner. Hopefully the plastic is similar to polystyrene (standard model kit plastic) so Tamiya lacquer spray paints will adhere well. I also hope the shield's plastic will accept Alclad lacquers. Alclad has better chrome silver, it looks almost electroplated just like HT's paint job on the shield.

spiderbo
04-21-2014, 06:30 AM
Is there anyone out there offering the service of striping the paint and repainting? Id be interested..

amity498
04-21-2014, 06:52 AM
Noticed today mine is also coming off. Since I have GA and stealth set on order I am going to strip this to get the silver. And then look for a war uniform for him

galactiboy
04-21-2014, 07:45 AM
My shield for TFA seemed like it was holding up well... but 2 days ago I noticed I had him pressed up against the side of the Detolf he's in and when I shifted him over the plating on the sheild that was in contact with the glass came off :lol

Oh well, guess I'll go ahead and do battled damage on him now that the shield is messed-up looking :huh

Knightstalker
04-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah I had a tiny paint flake on mine. As i examined it, I decided to gently dust it with a soft bristled paint brush, and it took the paint off! I was afraid to even breathe on it after that debacle. Hopefully future Cap releases won't have the same QC issues.

rocbolt
04-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Mine is bad, I'm planning to strip the paint by either dunking the shield in brake fluid or spraying with oven cleaner. Hopefully the plastic is similar to polystyrene (standard model kit plastic) so Tamiya lacquer spray paints will adhere well. I also hope the shield's plastic will accept Alclad lacquers. Alclad has better chrome silver, it looks almost electroplated just like HT's paint job on the shield.

Just wipe it with acetone. The whole base layer is the chromed silver, the red and blue will come off and leave the silver. If you want to take the chrome off you'll probably destroy the shield.

Deak Starkiller
04-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Ts79

No tackiness at all? Looks great man.

Ninjaknight
04-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Whats the best way to lay the shield before spraying to get an even coat? The straps seem to be in the way.

El-Vi-Riachi
04-26-2014, 08:26 AM
from another post...

before:

after:

These pics are mine I coated mine with the TS-79 spray, I made a thread about it also a while back, check my username for created threads.

I have to be honest I sprayed mine about a year ago and under the light I have started to notice the paint cracking under the coat. I have done another coat recently but seems it's only a matter of time until the paint will go.

I have stripped the paint of one and repainted it, it doesn't look as good at very close inspection but from a distance it's acceptable. If and when the paint chips on my Ts-79 coated shield I may reattempt a paint and take my time with it. The other I repainted has lasted a year without any signs of cracking.

yllum
04-26-2014, 08:35 AM
These pics are mine I coated mine with the TS-79 spray, I made a thread about it also a while back, check my username for created threads.

I have to be honest I sprayed mine about a year ago and under the light I have started to notice the paint cracking under the coat. I have done another coat recently but seems it's only a matter of time until the paint will go.

I have stripped the paint of one and repainted it, it doesn't look as good at very close inspection but from a distance it's acceptable. If and when the paint chips on my Ts-79 coated shield I may reattempt a paint and take my time with it. The other I repainted has lasted a year without any signs of cracking.

Oh mine, it seems like even the coat spray cant help..the only solution would be to repaint it?

El-Vi-Riachi
04-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Oh mine, it seems like even the coat spray cant help..the only solution would be to repaint it?

It's an unknown at this point, I would still recommend the ts-79, I am unsure if what I am seeing is it cracking before I painted it or after. Only time will tell, perhaps others with uncoated shields could comment on how long theirs lasted til the paint started flaking as a basis for comparison. Just to point out my shield coated with TS-79 has not flaked yet, its only when looking at certain angles in the light i can see slight tiny cracking/flaking. Looking at my old pre-painted shield in the pics it appears it was already happening so who knows.

A year on and no flaking yet and still looks good face on just unsure how long it will last. If unpainted shield don't even last a year before flaking then the Ts-79 is the way to go it seems.

Lieutdan
05-21-2014, 11:05 AM
I stripped the paint off mine (brake cleaner and qtips). I am sporting the vibranium look for now.

Does anyone have any paint type suggestions from experience, color types, enamel/acrylic, clear coat mixed?? Application type brush or airbrush? Recommendations are much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dw316
05-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Speak to Barry, aka Username. :wink1:

Lieutdan
05-21-2014, 11:29 AM

I trust his username is Barry??

dw316
05-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Oh no, his username is Username. LOL He's an expert on all things Captain America figures.

Roc74
05-21-2014, 11:40 AM
So it seems the problem is that the Red and Blue paint cannot stay on the chrome very well. SO would this mean that even if you coat the top with a sealer, you will still have the paint come off? Also if you try repainting the shield, probably you will need to remove the chrome off the areas you what to paint? sand it off maybe?

Lieutdan
05-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Whomp whomp just resent to Username lol

Username
05-21-2014, 12:22 PM

I trust his username is Barry??

Oh no, his username is Username. LOL He's an expert on all things Captain America figures.

Brilliant.
This exchange is amazing on so many levels.
Dialogue that would be worthy of a Joss Whedon show, lol.
PM replied to.

guy66657
06-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Okay so I did this mod 45 min ago and so far so good BUT I think the red night have bled over a little on the silver on one of the shields.

I watched some videos and said that it may look messed up at first but will eventually look clean when it fully dries up.

I'll add some pics.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/25/da6eba6y.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/25/he5umy3y.jpg

Username
06-24-2014, 10:53 PM
Looks great. Just a little overspray. But that can be removed easily enough.

guy66657
06-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Looks great. Just a little overspray. But that can be removed easily enough.

How does one remove the red smudge?

Username
06-24-2014, 11:21 PM
How does one remove the red smudge?

Did you leave the silver/chrome alone before painting? Is that the original surface?
If it is, a q-tip with a very small amount of acetone on it very carefully swiped over the red one or twice will gently melt the overspray. the first couple of passes might just smear it, but keep at it gently, and eventually you will be able to remove it all.

guy66657
06-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Did you leave the silver/chrome alone before painting? Is that the original surface?
If it is, a q-tip with a very small amount of acetone on it very carefully swiped over the red one or twice will gently melt the overspray. the first couple of passes might just smear it, but keep at it gently, and eventually you will be able to remove it all.

Oh well, yeah I just sprayed over the original surface if that's what you mean. But I shall try that. Thanks for the advice, man. I'll letcha know if it worked and post pics after.

Username
06-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Oh well, yeah I just sprayed over the original surface if that's what you mean. But I shall try that. Thanks for the advice, man. I'll letcha know if it worked and post pics after.
No worries.

Worst case scenario is that you have to remove it all, re mask and do it again. But this time make sure the masking tape on the silver part is flat with no gaps!

guy66657
06-25-2014, 01:15 AM
No worries.

Worst case scenario is that you have to remove it all, re mask and do it again. But this time make sure the masking tape on the silver part is flat with no gaps!

Okay I kinda made it worse XD I kinda accidentally rubbed some of the red off after applying another coat and kinda clumped up a little but BUT it's not too noticeable. The other shield turned out beautifully though.

http://i.imgur.com/YewI5Kd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZmUbqAz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VTFFVSX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qTHM3Dc.jpg

Username
06-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Looks fine to me.
Use that one to do a BD version! I did one like that at work today.

Ninjaknight
06-25-2014, 09:42 AM
How common is it to smudge the paint while coating it? What do you watch out for?

CTO15
06-25-2014, 10:04 AM
How common is it to smudge the paint while coating it? What do you watch out for?

could be that the can was too close to the shield when spraying, or that too much of the spray was applied in one sitting.

It's best with multiple thin coats at fair distance away.