PF HULK: Regarding Scale...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Bergholtz

In the belly of a whale
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been getting asked a lot about the scale of the PF Hulk, specifically if he is in "true 1/4 scale" in relation to the rest of the PF line. I thought I would copy/paste a pm I just sent to another curious forum member on the subject to help clear this up.

The Hulk is indeed true 1/4 scale, although due to the constantly changing specs of the character in the comics this is more 'subjective' than 'fact'. Originally I had based the proportions on a 24" figure, which is the correct 1/4 scale measurement for an 8-foot tall person (the Hulk ranks about 8 feet on average).

However, when I printed out a mock-up at 24 inches, it was HUUUGE! Keep in mind that with the Hulk's bulky physique, even a height increase of one or two inches can make the overall mass/girth of the figure increase exponentially. The thing was just monstrously huge, way too big to be produced at a reasonable price. So, I reduced the print-out to 22 inches tall, which greatly reduced the overall mass of the figure while still retaining a proper scale of 1:4 (22 inches would translate into a little over 7.3 feet in human scale, which I thought was still acceptable as 'accurate' for the Hulk). Even though 22 inches doesn't sound much smaller than 24 inches, the decrease in volume really made production more feasible.

After hunching the figure over into his current posture, the total height of the figure measures only 20 inches (as quoted in the specs on the pre-order pages), but don't let that fool you.... If he were to stand upright he would be about 22 inches tall. Even in his hunched state, he still DWARFS all the other PF figures, as he should. :) Below you'll find a few images of the sculpt standing next to some other PF figures, this should give you a better idea of the size. Again, keep in mind that the Hulk is not standing upright, and also realize that the base for the final product (not shown in these pics) adds a good 2-3 inches of height.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Hulk%20Wolvie.jpg

Hulk%20Luke.jpg

Hulk%20Leia.jpg

Hulk%20Wolvie.jpg

Hulk%20Luke.jpg

Hulk%20Leia.jpg
[/QUOTE]
hey andy,any chance you could do me those sculpted pants on my green
version for a resonable price.
please....:monkey2

Holy **** !!!!!! My new Best Sideshow piece ever !!!!! Check the difference in size with his fists and those of Logan !!!! Thanks for the pics Andy !!!!

Hey Andy. just curious, but do you still have that sculpt?
Does SS not still ahve it for production? or did they make a copy and send the original back to you?

.. unbelievable job too. Youve definitely set your name in stone as part of the Hulk legacy now.

Love those pics Andy! Now I want a Betty Ross to go with Hulk. (And even though you hate the movie, please make it Jennifer Connelly...)

Occulum-- I do have the original sculpt, but the piece in the photos is a resin prototype. Sideshow makes master molds of the original sculpture and produces resin prototype copies from those molds. The resin copies are then sent to the factory and are the 'masters' used for the mass production molds.

Bodie-- I told you, not on the forums please. You never know who's watching.

Dave-- Betty would be a GREAT idea! Maybe I can talk the gang into working Betty into the Adam Hughes comiquette line. It wouldn't be Connelly, but with Hughes at the helm it would surely be an acceptable substitute. :)

Thanks VERY much for the comparisons Andy!

Makes me all the more anxious to get both your new Hulk PF's on my shelf!

Now, how 'bout a Hulk Poodle and Hulk Pit Bull from the movie! ;)

JS :monkey5

PS - I like your sculpted Hulk pants better than the cloth ones........

Darklord Dave said:
CLOTH IS KING! CLOTH IS KING! CLOTH IS KING!

They haven't seen it in person Dave! :lol

While I will admit that Andy's sculpted pants are sweet, the mixed media really makes the statue pop!

Back