Detolf or Billy for displays

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkollectibleskhai

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got some Detolfs for 60% off at ikea, which was a great deal. But the lack of height adjustment has been a pain the arse to get the dioramas in for the DX04 and DX05 (had to clip some clamps on to raise the top shelf so I could fit these in the second shelf).

So then I saw some youtube videos from drakstoys, who has the most AMAZING display cabinets. He uses the Billy bookcase from Ikea too, which also have glass doors, and seem to have better height adjustability.

I saw the Billy at Ikea, but went with the Detolf cos it had better depth, and I thought I would need that to fit everything (plus it was on a big sale). But he seems to fit everything perfectly in the Billy bookcase.

So do many people just use the Detolf, or are more people getting into the Billy bookcases now?

Also, has anyone used the Diodor lights from Ikea on a Detolf? I see them on drakstoys Billy cases, and they look absolutely stunning!! his displays are hands down some of the best on the web!!!

Since I only have the Detolfs at this point, I was wondering if anyone has used them on Detolfs?

The only thing that puts me off the Billy is how it's necessary to have two doors on them. It creates that line down the center of the cabinet which is distracting to me. Still not sure what I'm going to do with my display.

A little OT but just curious. Do they run this 60% sale on Detolfs very often??? I'm looking to get a few sometime soon. But the closest Ikea is over 2 hours away. Would hate to make the trip and then they go on sale afterwards.

A little OT but just curious. Do they run this 60% sale on Detolfs very often??? I'm looking to get a few sometime soon. But the closest Ikea is over 2 hours away. Would hate to make the trip and then they go on sale afterwards.

Not sure about the USA. I live in Australia, and it was just blind luck that I went to Ikea that day and saw the Detolfs on sale! Ikea in Australia also have this deal where they send you a voucher every month that gives you a discount if you spend a certain about. So on that day, the Detolfs were on sale at $95 (down from $170), plus I got $15 off using the voucher, so all up $80 each. The sales arent that often I think, but I'll be checking regularly now!

As for USA, not sure what deals they have.

Not sure about the USA. I live in Australia, and it was just blind luck that I went to Ikea that day and saw the Detolfs on sale! Ikea in Australia also have this deal where they send you a voucher every month that gives you a discount if you spend a certain about. So on that day, the Detolfs were on sale at $95 (down from $170), plus I got $15 off using the voucher, so all up $80 each. The sales arent that often I think, but I'll be checking regularly now!

As for USA, not sure what deals they have.

Gotcha. Looking online regular price is $64.99. I'm assuming in store price is the same.

The only thing that puts me off the Billy is how it's necessary to have two doors on them. It creates that line down the center of the cabinet which is distracting to me. Still not sure what I'm going to do with my display.

That's exactly the issue I have with the Billy that I have. And I think the glass doors that come with the Billy have a wooden frame that adds about 3.5 inches of wood down the middle, unless they have different doors now (never mind the white color) :slap

That's exactly the issue I have with the Billy that I have. And I think the glass doors that come with the Billy have a wooden frame that adds about 3.5 inches of wood down the middle, unless they have different doors now (never mind the white color) :slap

Ahh, I see what you guys means by the frame down the middle. It does put it off a little. Perhaps that's why drakstoys always opens up his cabinets when he does his reviews so that all the toys are in the open! Still looks great though.

I'll stick with the Detolfs for now anyway. I found a video on youtube where some guy wired up the Dioder lights with the Detolf and did some amazing work in hiding the wires! Will have to carefully check out that vid again.

The also sell Morebo doors for the Billy that have a narrower silver trim. Here's an older pic of one of mine.

019.jpg

There was another thread where an owner of these cabinets was saying the door frame in the center wasn't as distracting in person because in the photo's it's static where as in person you can have a look around it.

Back