Tips for getting rid of the dreaded doll dot.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglor

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just bought Sideshow's 1/6th Gandalf. It's a great sculpt, and the paint isn't terrible, but that little white dot in the eyes just kills it. Quite a few of my Sideshow figures suffer from this terrible malady, and I would like to cure them of it.

Other then repaining the the eyes (or in my case - having them repainted) are there any ideas for how to get rid of them?

My idea is to use a brand new exacto blade to gently shave/scrape off the dot. It seems to be the last layer of paint, so my hope is that I could just scrape that off without ruining the underlying pupil/iris. However, any clear coat would be gone in that tiny spot.

I would think I could touch up any clear coat that is noticeably missing. And worse case scenario, I could break down and get the ones I FUBAR repainted by a pro.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I will definitely post before and after pics if I do this.

Are you not familiar with the "doll dot" I speak of?

I'm at work right now so I can't take a picture, but here's a pic I grabbed from google where you can make the dot out:

$(KGrHqJ,!jgE8)UY7vUeBPcPfkOFSw~~60_35.JPG

Here's a quick mock up where I took out the dot with iPhoto:

With dot:

IMG_6762original.jpg

Without dot:

IMG_6762edit.jpg

Close crops:

IMG_6762originalcrop.jpg

IMG_6762editcrop.jpg

With dot:

IMG_6764original.jpg

Without dot:

IMG_6764edit.jpg

Close crops:

IMG_6764originalcrop.jpg

IMG_6764editcrop.jpg

It's actually a pretty good paint-job without the dot.

Why they included it is beyond me. The eyes have a clear-coat which gives it a "natural" dot/reflection. The daub of paint is completely superfluous and it just looks like there's something in his eye. :gah:

Last edited:
That's one of the main reason I started repairing my SS figures in the first place, besides the usual early bar paint apps they had. I still need to repaint Gandalf and Faramir. Havent had any motivation, but yea the white "doll dot" bothers the hell out of me. I'm just glad it's not on my Anakin PF. Still need to repaint that too! :lol :slap

Repaint the whole head.

The hair and beard being all one color with no gradation or depth would bug me far more than the doll dot.

Repaint the whole head.

The hair and beard being all one color with no gradation or depth would bug me far more than the doll dot.

Good point. That's the only thing that bugs me about the PF figure. From day one I've wanted to get the hair and beard repainted. There's a tiny bit of of gradation right around the face, but it's still pretty much one big mat of grey.

A repaint will likely be in the cards for all of my LOTR Sideshow heads - with the exception of Strider which is already repainted. The paint is just piss poor in general. But for me, the doll dot is my main pet peeve, and I want to see if I can get rid of it in the meantime.

Back