Airbrushers! How do I get a decent orange peel?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fangs of Death

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have some heads to get out, and I'm getting a bit tired of experimenting with trying to get a skin texture* on them (they'll be cast in flesh tinted resin).
I thought about spraying Tamya Gloss Clear (maybe tinted, maybe not) to get an orange peel affect, then blowing a thin spray of brown on top of that...kind of like the Headplay effect. [Then if the finished item is too gloss, a bit of Dullcote on top of that.]

I'm using Tamiya Acrylic paints and thinners...what's the best way of achieving a small (say 1mm) orange peel? I need thinner ratio, pressure, distance.
Thanks.

*by that I mean any kind of islanded breakup of the sheen.

To be honest I think there's just too many variables involved (other than the ones you mentioned) to control how your "orange peel" is going to look.

Yep, I've divined that over the last couple of days....just have to keep plugging away at it, groan.

Thanks

Your idea is good though, it reminds me of what someone else did, which was intentionally clogging up the nozzle to create paint spatter that resembles skin pigmentation.

Have you tried low pressure on your airbrush and very thin paint? What normally reads as a spatter effect starts to layer up with some uneven texture.

Back