Valiant Comics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdb

Super Freak
Reaction score
X-O Manowar #1 dropped today. Has anyone checked out the new relaunch of Valiant Comics? This has to be like the fifth relaunch of their Universe. At least the fifth. I have fond memories of those books in 91 and 92... Running around New York collecting autographs, attending cons... and not as fond memories of the numerous relaunches over the years. I kinda want to check them out for old time's sake but I kinda don't want my heart broken again.

:lol I think I still have a handful- 20 or so- of the comics from the 90's that I would sell for dirt-cheap if anyone wants them; 0.30 cents each + shipping.

Just checked: I have a lot of Magnus Turok Solar and a few other if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Still have my signed Harbinger 1....

That's pretty cool! I've got a bunch of signed Defiant comics from when Len Wein invited me up to their offices after his pen bled on a comic of mine at a signing, but I never I did get any of the early Valiant signed.

If anyone has been waiting to check these out, they are 99 cents each digitally today (Black Friday) only on ComiXology. I've read a few and they don't suck which puts them ahead of when Acclaim had the license.

I used to love Archer/Armstrong, Magnus, Rai, XO, and Harbingers. Hell I still have that Plasm card book around somewhere. :lol I know you said they "don't suck", but how do they compare with the originals?

I used to love Archer/Armstrong, Magnus, Rai, XO, and Harbingers. Hell I still have that Plasm card book around somewhere. :lol I know you said they "don't suck", but how do they compare with the originals?

Well, the originals were rough around the edges but had an intelligence, energy and focus to them. The art was sometimes really 3rd rate, and their strength was the plotting and the script writing. These new ones, the few I've read, seemed more focused on the art. They have a fun sort of re-imagined thing going for them, and the pacing and plotting seem fine, but, when compared to the Shooter era, the scripts are very unpolished and green. They are taking their time establishing the characters which I like, but at the same time it's hard to know who these characters are. I wouldn't pay full price for the books but at 99 cents, I'm more than happy to give them a try.

I just read the first 6 Harbingers and I highly recommend them to anyone who was a fan of the Shooter era Harbingers. They were like a really cool film adaptation of the origin story.

So thanks to the 99 cent sale, I'm now caught up with the entire Valiant Universe and all in all they are pretty cool. Harbinger and X-O are the best. They read like they were put together by the guys who designed Marvel Studios' strategy with their Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, Avengers films. And with good reason, apparently. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/...t-sees-its-future-on-film.html?pagewanted=all

So hey, maybe they'll do it right this time.

When I read, well when I was younger I looked at the pictures and just collected them. Anyway, because of that I always kind of confused Bloodshot and the Punisher. I just gave them quick flips through. What's Bloodshot's story?

Bloodshot's like the Punisher meets Wolverine. He's got nanobots in his blood that tells him to eat so they can repair his body when he gets shot up. The nanobots also can hack into computer systems. Originally he was a mob enforcer (or undercover informant?) whose body was experimented on after he was killed (by the mob?) and he went on a vendetta against them. He was very Punisher-like back then. Now he's some special ops guy who has been turned into a weapon by the military (or corperate military?) who has no memories before the last excursion and has just broken free. Now he feels more like Wolverine meets the Terminator (but human).

image.jpg
image-1.jpg

They're giving them away at Comixology until Jan 5. The first issues only.

They're all 99¢ again at ComiXology and they've even added the 4 Shadowmans written by Garth Ennis.

Back