Question for painters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just wondering how you achieve a matte finish on painted faces? I'm using acrylics, and the skin is shiny. I don't mind shine on the eyes or lips.

Also, how do you make eyes and lips more shiny?

Thanks in advance.

I use Vallejo Air Matt varnish, it's an airbrush-ready varnish but you can just brush it on directly with a normal brush if you want. I airbrushed some heads with it this week and they're really matt from it. In fact I'm going to start mixing satin varnish into the pot in future because I don't think skin should be completely matt - look at any Hot Toys official product photo, they're ever so slightly satiny.
I brush liquitex gloss onto the eyes after matting the skin. You'll probably want satin or a mix of satin/matt for lips unless you're painting a glammed up female like this photo in which case use the same gloss as for her eyes.

Maria Black Tactical 3 by cloudfilter, on Flickr

I use Testors Dullcote. Its easy to use and gives the best finish imo

mal1d.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Testors-12...ultDomain_0&hash=item5d33157542#ht_957wt_1037

Another vote for Tesstors Dullcoat. You have to also get the brush cleaner for afterwards but it is worth it. Tesstors makes a glosscoat but I usually go with an acrylic gloss varnish for eyes and if the lips need them, usually a matte acrylic varnish (which is more like a semigloss).

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. All the examples look awesome. I'll have to look around for all of those items and test them all out. Thanks again.

Back