Harry Potter Books

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanfromindiana

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I was involved in an auction mostly consisting of really really sweet items from the Ackermansion which it turned out was mostly out of my league. There was some insanely sweet stuff including paintings by Lugosi, tons of rare signed horror posters, super rare toys, you name it. On a whim I bid on a set of Harry Potter books for 80 bucks that noone even really looked at. They were first edition first print American and a Canadian box set....nothing special other than in perfect condition...I was getting them for my kids to read as they got older. I about crapped when I got home and unpacked them to discover the first couple had been signed by JK Rowling. I'll put a couple of pics up when I get a chance, but I'm pretty stoked.

Well finally got around to a couple of pics....the battery in the camera actually died so thats only part of the books. :D

P1030102.jpg

P1030103.jpg

Last edited:
If they're first editions and signed by Rowling - that's a pretty sweet haul, especially for $80.

You should have seen the Universal monster stuff they were auctioning off. :drool These books really didn't fit in and i totally bought them for my kids lol. They are first American editions though, not English, but yeah with the sigs and all it was an incredible find.....

If they're first editions and signed by Rowling - that's a pretty sweet haul, especially for $80.

Hi,

Just want to ask how do you find out if your book is the First Edition ones? Sorry if this is a lame question as i never really collect books or pay attention with it.

Thanks

Different publishers have different methods...the American Potters will say First Edition then will have a series of numbers below. The last number on the right is your printing...a first edition first printing will read 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. Check the publisher for the title your looking for and you can find it out. I'll put some pics up tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about. There's a big market for rare first editions too.

Thanks for the info bud. I'll check my Potter books later. Got mine from a local book collector some 3 years ago. But never really pay attention bout it as my main reason is just for my and kids reading.

Different publishers have different methods...the American Potters will say First Edition then will have a series of numbers below. The last number on the right is your printing...a first edition first printing will read 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. Check the publisher for the title your looking for and you can find it out. I'll put some pics up tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about. There's a big market for rare first editions too.

OK, so maybe the first printings are a bigger deal than I thought. I think this was a pretty serious steal for 80 bucks lol. From what I can tell I have 2 first print/edition Sorceror's Stone 1 signed, 2 Chamber of Secrets, 1 Philosopher Stone signed, and the rest of the series all first prints, then an additional Canadian box set that i don't know anything about. The Stones are numbered 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 8 9/9 0/0 01 02, but the rest are numbered 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 9/9 0/0 1 2 3 4 or similar like this. The pic below is from one of the Chamber of Secrets. I'm not touching the signed or Sorcerer's Stones again as they are worth thousands I believe. My suggestion is do a bunch of research because this stuff is all nuts lol.

P1030104.jpg

Back