PDA

View Full Version : Advice Required Re The Best 1/6 Darth Vader Figure...

DGTWoodward
04-25-2012, 01:11 AM
I have a RAH/Medi DARTH MAUL re-issue on pre-order from SSC. From reading the threads here, I know that whilst some rave about it, it is not without its own share of questionable aspects. On reflection, I don't mind those too much so that is fine for me.

However, I would also like to purchase a 1/6 scale DARTH VADER figure and here, I would be a bit more fussy. So, here's the thing...

What do the uber-experienced SW 1/6 fans/collectors here think is the best (and I mean from the box with no exterior additions) DARTH VADER figure, regardless of company or cost.

devilof76
04-25-2012, 01:31 AM
The best to date will probably be the next one that Sideshow releases.

There are only three high-end 1:6 Darth Vader figures so far. Medicom made two and Sideshow made one. Marmit almost made one, but we are speaking of neither horseshoes, nor hand grenades.

OSCORP
04-25-2012, 04:31 AM
I would get the new Medicom ROTJ Vader 2.0 if you want the best. (older medi bodys are too frail, new ones don't suffer from that) Or wait till 2013 or beyond for SS's.

ANH SS Vader is good as well. ( i still like the Medi better, but go with the new ones)

Yeah the medi vader is expensive, but so will all future Vaders be.

Shropt
04-25-2012, 04:43 AM
I'm going with everyone else and saying to just wait. Another figure should be released very soon and most likely shown at SDCC this year.

devilof76
04-25-2012, 05:52 AM
And it will be cheaper than the new Medicom one.

EVILFACE
04-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Wait and get the next Sideshow one. You don't want no kiddie Medivader on you shelf.

Unless you have ikea detolf. Those are for kiddie collections.

THX-182
04-25-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm personally waiting for Sideshow's next Vader. I sold my ANH EX a while back and kind of regretted it but keep telling myself Sideshow's next one will be better.

OSCORP
04-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Wait and get the next Sideshow one. You don't want no kiddie Medivader on you shelf.

I totally agree. You for sure want cheap ass shelves. They make cheap figures look better.

But yeah get Medicom 2.0 or SS's next one. Either way you're waiting! ( I may get medi 2.0 if i can get it for under 250$)

wax murderer
04-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Medi's is well detailed but under-sized(closer to 1/7).SSC's is slightly over-sized(better if displaying with other figures) but has a slightly funky helmet(too symmetrical,not enough flair).Also. the mask on the Medi is a bit off from some angles(slightly"turned up"nose).The question you need to ask yourself;what's your main criteria-size, cost or accuracy?...PS

Wor-Gar
04-25-2012, 12:52 PM
The question you need to ask yourself: what's your main criteria -- size or accuracy?.

http://collegepals.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/girl-thinking-time-is-important.jpg

Craig77
04-25-2012, 01:21 PM
And it will be cheaper than the new Medicom one.

I remember several years back when people were in a fit over pricing on the medicom boba fett at $150 ect... now we are seeing SSC at the $175 range for their Boba...he looks great...my point however is I would not be suprised to see the next SSC Vader between $250 and $300...oh we will probably see an elaborate base that lights up to justify the cost...but its SSC not medicom, so we can all sleep at night...LOL:wink1:

Medicom rotj old or new release, tops the original SSC vader...in my opinion.
With the helmet mod on SSC though, it looks damn good...out of the box medicom.

Invictus Sol
04-25-2012, 02:26 PM
I get your point but I think most collectors have written Medi and their clueless prices off a while ago. SSC's real competition in this regard I'd say is HT. Although I'm paying the $175.00 for both IG-88 and Boba Fett, SSC would definitely be pushing it hitting $200.00 or above for Vader, unless the quality compares very favourably with what HT's doing with Iron Man and some other lines.

bmarz1000
04-25-2012, 02:54 PM
When I think about what HT has done with Iron Man and think about Vader it makes me giddy with anticipation.

Vonhahn
04-25-2012, 09:03 PM

I would suggest ssc anh vader. He looks awseome right out of the box and waiting for a fantasy vader that people are dreaming about may be a long wait indeed. Mine looks really quite nice in my detolf. Evilfaces opinions dont matter to me.

Niltusk
04-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Heres a link to comparison of 4 Vaders with really good size comparison shots. I've never had a medi vader, but after reading this, you can see why hes referred to as being in 1/7 scale by collectors.

http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/comparing-sideshow-with-medicom-and.html

Invictus Sol
04-25-2012, 09:17 PM
I would suggest ssc anh vader. He looks awseome right out of the box and waiting for a fantasy vader that people are dreaming about may be a long wait indeed. Mine looks really quite nice in my detolf. Evilfaces opinions dont matter to me.

While I agree the SSC one is nice, especially modded, it's a bit of a stretch to call the new iteration a "fantasy" when SSC has specifically advised they're working on it. If it comes out any time in 2013, that's fine with me.

Heres a link to comparison of 4 Vaders with really good size comparison shots. I've never had a medi vader, but after reading this, you can see why hes referred to as being in 1/7 scale by collectors.

http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/comparing-sideshow-with-medicom-and.html

Thanks for the post, Niltusk. Have never seen the SSC and Medi's compared side-by-side. Could definitely not get used to Medi's scale.

EVILFACE
04-25-2012, 09:21 PM
I totally agree. You for sure want cheap ass shelves. They make cheap figures look better.

But yeah get Medicom 2.0 or SS's next one. Either way you're waiting! ( I may get medi 2.0 if i can get it for under 250$)

I take it you have a detolf. :wave

devilof76
04-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't even have shelves. All my stuff is on the floor.

OSCORP
04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Pics^^^^^

:)

devilof76
04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
:o

I'll have to draw it for you. Had to sell the camera so I could get a nice vacuum.

DGTWoodward
04-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Wow! Thanks for the really helpful replies fellow freaks.

@Niltusk Thanks for that fascinating link. Those height differences are astounding indeed!

I can understand first-hand the scale differences between Medicom and others very well though. We have a Medi BATMAN BEGINS and SUPERMAN RETURNS and they are both much smaller than our Hot Tot BB and SR figures. We do have a Medi Darth Maul on the way soon and on that one the size difference does not bother us that much as we have met Ray Park and he is...let's say, not a giant.

Whilst the new Medi DV looks very smart indeed, especially with that tricky 'light-up' sabre, I really am not too keen on him looking like a midget compared to the rest of our 1/6 figures.

I think my best options then, will be from a choice out of three, namely

If I want one ASAP...Chase down a SSC Darth Vader and work the helmet mod (if I really have to).

Again if it's ASAP, PO the mew Medicom with tricky sabre...which would mean a wait anyway as it would be FLEXed...$300 for a well presented midget, I am seriously not mad-keen on that idea.

Accept that if, in theory, I was going to wait for FLEX time to pass anyway, use that time so see how any new SSC Vader turns out. This is an option that gives my bank account a bit more of a rest too :wink1:.

I am most grateful.

Lejuan
04-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Personally I would go with option #3 :)

Too Much Garlic
04-26-2012, 05:47 AM
Option three. The new SSC can't be worse than their first version and they claim to have fixed the height issue on the body. If only they fix everything else as well, then it could be a great figure. But they gotta step up their game.

DGTWoodward
04-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Yep, I think that it will be option #3 for me. A previous poster said that there was a definite confirmation from SSC about a VADER v2 coming soon(ish) so, it makes sense.

Invictus Sol
04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Here's the critical parts of the interview (http://www.cooltoyreview.com/Conversation-SSC.asp) (I believe done last year), in regards to the upcoming Vader:

DMM What have you done with Darth Vader? You have the life-sized bust, which is sort of an idealized version of the character, the A New Hope 12” figure, a Revenge Of The Sith pre-battle 12” figure, the A New Hope PF, and two A New Hope bronze statues, as well as dioramas with Vader in Revenge Of The Sith, A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back. What about Return Of The Jedi?

BB Return Of The Jedi is going to get a loving representation in 1/6 scale next, followed closely by a Premium Format Figure...

DMM Going into this new Vader, will we see a more accurately scaled body?

BB Already done. We wanted to make sure he was clearly taller than everyone else, but the first one was just a hair too tall.

DGTWoodward
04-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Here's the critical parts of the interview (http://www.cooltoyreview.com/Conversation-SSC.asp) (I believe done last year), in regards to the upcoming Vader:

Brilliant news, thanks.

Option 3 it is.

DrQ2
04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
My problem is I have everything now, or just finish everything. I even got the Emperor a woman (Lady Death PF). I when with the new one that is going to come out. I am not really all the feel good about not having the SS. But really I have no Vader and I am not crazy yet to pay what some people want for a SS Vader. "YET"

I never buy something twice. But with them coming out with a new Rex who knows.

MidnightClad
05-09-2012, 06:24 PM
The SSC vader in my opinion is the best so far. But you should wait till the new one comes out...whenever that is.

Hey my clones need a home to or would you rather I just put them in their box, shove them in the attic, and forget about them? :rotfl

EVILFACE
05-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Sounds like a clutter of clones. :dunno

demorathis
05-09-2012, 07:03 PM
The newest medicom is the nicest in terms of character, but is way overpriced...sideshow is a better bet, but wait for the jedi version...

Lejuan
05-09-2012, 08:47 PM
The newest medicom is the nicest in terms of character, but is way overpriced...

Not for Medicom :wink1:

j97e1
05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
If you like a pose-able Vader, go for SS.
But if you only want to set and forget - Consider the Gentle Giant 1/6 statue. It looks great on display, and the size is just right :

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/ptv6ndpwKRI/hqdefault.jpg

chRd
05-10-2012, 05:32 AM
true enough, however, i'd like to see a non-Ep3 version.

devilof76
05-10-2012, 06:24 AM
If you want a cool Darth Vader figure to hold you over until Sideshow's, it's not 1:6 but it's pretty cool.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7175/6654010417_9e18c5e514_z.jpg

Tomy Direct Action Doll Collection. They did a Boba Fett too. Both might be kinda hard to find now.

Garemlin
05-10-2012, 07:13 AM
If you like a pose-able Vader, go for SS.
But if you only want to set and forget - Consider the Gentle Giant 1/6 statue. It looks great on display, and the size is just right :

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/ptv6ndpwKRI/hqdefault.jpg

And here is one for a not bad price. Considering snagging this one myself.

Gentle Giants Darth Vader statue (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gentle-Giants-Darth-Vader-statue-/261020151084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc6036d2c)

galactiboy
05-10-2012, 07:14 AM
I'd vote currently for the SSC Vader as the best overall.

I've owned the ROTJ, ROTS Vader from Medicom and ANH Vader from Sideshow.

Medicom
I think the overall look of the Medicom figures is good and they have good internal proportions. The reveal heads are quite undersized though and the paint work on them is pretty basic. The outfit is nice, but the cape is too bulky and I guess there have been some issues with the body suits breaking down. Both came with a nice assortment of hands, but they did not stay on particuarly well. And probably the biggest issue is they are tiny... so not imposing like you'd want a Darth Vader to be.

Sideshow:
Good height, look and internal proportions. However, he's actually too tall and the angle of the dome is off. The outfit is very nice, as is the quality of the cape. But because the cape is lined it is waay to bulky and does not hang naturally. Good assortment of hands and they stay on well. And at the time, for $125 new he was a great deal; but on the secondary market his prices have really gone up.

In the end I much prefer the Sideshow figure; both have their pluses and minusus. But since my collection is primarily non-Medicom figures the biggest deal breaker is the height issue.

Having said that I've also made a few modifications to my Vader. I've lowered his height by swapping out his midsection with a stormtrooper one, altered the angle of the helmet and replaced his cape. In total I've put about an extra $50 into him and I think he's pretty badass looking for it:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/galactiboy/New%20Collection%20Room/hhn.jpg

tinister
05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
If you want a cool Darth Vader figure to hold you over until Sideshow's, it's not 1:6 but it's pretty cool.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7175/6654010417_9e18c5e514_z.jpg

Tomy Direct Action Doll Collection. They did a Boba Fett too. Both might be kinda hard to find now.

This is the diecast one right? I have both MIB. I got the two for about 100USD when I was in Scotland a couple years ago. :hi5:

tinister
05-11-2012, 03:55 PM
I have the Medicom ROTJ Vader. He's on display in my living room and everyone asks about it. Best Vader figure in my opinion - but I'm not so particular about the relative sizes between figures.

devilof76
05-11-2012, 07:12 PM
This is the diecast one right? I have both MIB. I got the two for about 100USD when I was in Scotland a couple years ago. :hi5:

Yes. At $100, I'd buy both of them. Nice score. :rock

Niltusk
05-11-2012, 07:34 PM
And here is one for a not bad price. Considering snagging this one myself.

Gentle Giants Darth Vader statue (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gentle-Giants-Darth-Vader-statue-/261020151084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc6036d2c)

Man, he'd pose out nicely with the Malgus that came in my SWTOR box, even looks like theyre on a similar base.

THX-182
05-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Man, he'd pose out nicely with the Malgus that came in my SWTOR box, even looks like theyre on a similar base.

They are but he's like twice the size of Malgus.

Niltusk
05-12-2012, 09:37 AM
They are but he's like twice the size of Malgus.

Way to ruin it for me :monkey2

But seriously thats why I don't buy more statues, I hate the millions of scales and trying to get things to look good together, OTOH though, I know the diversity is what attracts some people to that market, but its not my bag.

MidnightClad
05-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Way to ruin it for me :monkey2

But seriously thats why I don't buy more statues, I hate the millions of scales and trying to get things to look good together, OTOH though, I know the diversity is what attracts some people to that market, but its not my bag.

That is why I only collect 1/6 SSC and life size busts there all the same sizes and you don't have to worry about to many differences.

R3d15
05-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Just wanna ask, does anyone know when ss will revealed the new darth vader figure?

Invictus Sol
05-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Nobody knows but a good guess would be SDCC. :pray:

MidnightClad
05-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Nobody knows but a good guess would be SDCC. :pray:

Ya its about time they show off at least a teaser for a new vader to get people going again.

Boba Ben
05-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I really like the current one, but I'm sure the updated version will be even better.

Niltusk
05-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Just wanna ask, does anyone know when ss will revealed the new darth vader figure?

I would like to see SS reveal Vader and the droids at SDCC just to see half the fanbase have heart attacks, lol. :rotfl

I actually really like look of Medi's Vader 2.0, but can't get over my fear of their models, can't wait to see what they look like once people start reviewing them.

R3d15
05-13-2012, 05:49 AM
was hoping hot toys would make vader, but that wasn't going to happend since they would make han solo and anakin for their next star wars fig

Lee in MI
05-13-2012, 06:14 AM
I really can't see HTs making a Vader this soon...particularly since SSCs has announced they have another one coming soon. I would have expected to see someone like Darth Maul. Not a string of good guys. Not that I'm complaining. I'm sure these will be awesome.

TotalDominAsian
05-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought Sideshow has the 1/6 Star Wars license. Isn't that why Hot Toys can't churn out a whole ton? How can Medicom keep releasing a bunch of Star Wars 1/6?

Invictus Sol
05-13-2012, 02:51 PM
My understanding is Medi has the Asian market and can release what they like. I don't get the impression that they coordinate that much with whatever SSC's doing.

Hot Toys, on the other hand, is kind of leasing the Star Wars license from SSC and only wants to produce one or two SW figures a year, anyway, so they work very closely together. They sort of confirmed in an interview, as well, that they'll only be making figures that Sideshow has already released and that are in need of an update. Assuming that's true, that means no Chewie from Hot Toys, but who knows what the deal between them really is.

Someone feel free to correct me, but that's my understanding.

anaking13
05-16-2012, 10:12 AM
A photo released dungeons forum sideshowfreaks! Make your choice!
The Medicom is the second and the third is the Side.:wink1:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4716/vadw.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/151/vadw.jpg/)

VintijDroidGutzz
05-20-2012, 11:58 AM
The one on the right looks like that little kid from the Volvo ad. :lol

DGTWoodward
05-20-2012, 12:15 PM
A photo released dungeons forum sideshowfreaks! Make your choice!
The Medicom is the second and the third is the Side.:wink1:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4716/vadw.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/151/vadw.jpg/)

Though I can see that the helmet 'flair' is not right on the SSC DV, I must admit, I do like the extra extra height. It would make DV just more imposing I think. Hence, I am still leaning towards the new SSC version when it arrives. If it is still a while off, it does me no harm whatsoever as it will give my wallet the chance to recover from The Avengers range, Batman 89 range, Batman Returns range, the Dark Knight Rises range, the Raimi Spider-man range, the Amazing Spider-man range...

I feel faint again!

chRd
05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
yup i don't mind the height, but hey, if they're releasing the second (and third) version, might as well make it a bit more in scale (and fix that helmet please) so we don't make extra mods.

hyok hyok, even with those rotating display stands on the stormies, DV still towers over them

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt205/chrd_isleta/IMG_7051.jpg

Too Much Garlic
05-21-2012, 03:09 AM

The Medicom is the size of a Stormtrooper in this shot and the one on the right has the right Vader size. The Sideshow is just too tall and too skinny looking. There's just no saving that one.

Have no clue what the one on the left is.

devilof76
05-21-2012, 03:15 AM
The only thing I can see wrong with Sideshow's is the flare of the helmet. The Medi looks ridiculous. I've never noticed how much of a mess it is until looking at that shot.

Glennfett
05-21-2012, 04:31 AM
Sideshows Vader=WINNING!

MidnightClad
05-21-2012, 01:57 PM
The only thing I can see wrong with Sideshow's is the flare of the helmet. The Medi looks ridiculous. I've never noticed how much of a mess it is until looking at that shot.

Ya looking at the medi and SS in person I didn't really notice the differences as much but when you put the two next to each other Its a real eye opener.

Too Much Garlic
05-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Not one single thing about the Sideshow is accurate in any way, shape or form.

If it wasn't for the small seventh scale of the Medicom, it is still way more accurate in proportions, armor and softparts than the Sideshow equivalent. It's just way too expensive for what it is.

devilof76
05-22-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm starting to think this accuracy fetish is OCD certifiable.

Lejuan
05-22-2012, 10:38 PM
What is the remedy for too much garlic anyway?

devilof76
05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
A perfect Darth Vader. :lecture

It's an action figure. It's not a prop replica.

EVILFACE
05-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Agree. SS's is a great figure.

j97e1
05-22-2012, 11:08 PM
What is the remedy for too much garlic anyway?

Lots of onion. Kills the garlic smell :D

devilof76
05-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Then what's the remedy for too much onion?

MidnightClad
05-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Then what's the remedy for too much onion?

Dont use garlic or onion and stop collecting?

shocktrooper_au
05-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Not one single thing about the Sideshow is accurate in any way, shape or form.

If it wasn't for the small seventh scale of the Medicom, it is still way more accurate in proportions, armor and softparts than the Sideshow equivalent. It's just way too expensive for what it is.

Even if it was true 1/6 no way is it more accurate, probably the same as as Sideshows with different issues.... the dome looks better but the mask looks worse :cuckoo:

Too Much Garlic
05-23-2012, 02:44 AM
Its parts from what I've seen are more accurately scaled, more accurately detailed and the overall look, when not getting too close to it is presentable as Vader. The Sideshow looks like a weirdly stretched, disproportionate mess and not one single hard part has the right shape, detail or accuracy.

Guess I just sorta prefer a better, more accurate likeness to the real character than settle for something I consider sub-par. It's cool that you guys are okay with shelling out for these figures and are happy with them, but the question was "best 1/6 Vader figure"... but I guess "accuracy" isn't equal to "best" in some people's eyes. I clearly do not have the disposable funds as some of you, so I tend to wait for the best - and if it doesn't come, money saved.

devilof76
05-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Nope. (And Sideshow's was only $125.)

I understand where you're coming from, though. I never settled for the sub-par Medicom either. Thankfully with minor modifications, the issues with Sideshow's can be rendered as close to perfect as anyone has come since the Marmit prototype.

EVILFACE
05-23-2012, 02:59 AM
I'd give the Medicom to a dog for a chew toy.

Too Much Garlic
05-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Nope. (And Sideshow's was only $125.)

I understand where you're coming from, though. I never settled for the sub-par Medicom either. Thankfully with minor modifications, the issues with Sideshow's can be rendered as close to perfect as anyone has come since the Marmit prototype.
Having a set of early Marmit prototype parts, I can say that even the early stages of the Marmit development surpasses the SS in every way, shape and form.

I'd give the Medicom to a dog for a chew toy.
You must really hate that dog then.

Too Much Garlic
05-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Look, I'm a passionate Vader nut and sometimes gets carried away with what I'd like to see and forgetting that others may not share the same level of... I'm not gonna call it standards... more... I guess preferences in what they want to collect and I sometimes trample all over the stuff I don't find particular pleasing, ignoring and forgetting that others find great joy and satisfaction with the product.

We are all collectors right... so maybe I should try showing a little more respect towards those who have different preferences than I do and love the pieces they have, without me having to come in there pissing all over things with my "accuracy is the only best" mantra.

devilof76
05-23-2012, 03:21 AM
That's an extremely friendly way of looking at it.

How did you get Marmit parts?

Too Much Garlic
05-23-2012, 03:37 AM
I saw an auction on eBay and decided to contact the seller. He still has the Marmit ANH TIE pilot prototype up for sale.

VintijDroidGutzz
05-23-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm eagerly anticipating the next SSC Vader reveal - I've been on the Vader sidelines since I got into 1/6 collecting about three or so years ago. A HT Vader would be my first wish though..

I understand TMG's point of view completely - I don't like anything that's on offer thus far.. :dunno

devilof76
05-24-2012, 02:02 AM
I saw an auction on eBay and decided to contact the seller. He still has the Marmit ANH TIE pilot prototype up for sale.

Was the price tag on Vader anything like the TIE Pilot?

I'm asking rhetorically. You don't have to disclose that kind of info.

DGTWoodward
05-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Look, I'm a passionate Vader nut and sometimes gets carried away with what I'd like to see and forgetting that others may not share the same level of... I'm not gonna call it standards... more... I guess preferences in what they want to collect and I sometimes trample all over the stuff I don't find particular pleasing, ignoring and forgetting that others find great joy and satisfaction with the product.

We are all collectors right... so maybe I should try showing a little more respect towards those who have different preferences than I do and love the pieces they have, without me having to come in there pissing all over things with my "accuracy is the only best" mantra.

:clap :goodpost: :mexwave:mexwave :bow :duff :peace

Outstanding way to see this collecting thing. Most refreshing.

zeiss
05-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Having a set of early Marmit prototype parts, I can say that even the early stages of the Marmit development surpasses the SS in every way, shape and form.

Wow. The Marmit Vader is such a mythic piece. I would call it the grail of Vader items. Would you mind taking a few pictures?

Too Much Garlic
05-25-2012, 03:04 AM
Was the price tag on Vader anything like the TIE Pilot?
I'm asking rhetorically. You don't have to disclose that kind of info.
It was up there, but in the realm of possible for me. Seeing as it was only parts and not a fully completed prototype figure I was able to... acquire it... without having a heart attack convincing myself it was doable.

Wow. The Marmit Vader is such a mythic piece. I would call it the grail of Vader items. Would you mind taking a few pictures?
Sure. Posted these on some other forums previously. It really is a dream come true and I still cannot believe I have Marmit Vader parts in my possession. Other than the slight bend in the dome flange and a small nick on one of the T-grips on the saber the parts are in perfect condition and a joy to behold.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-002.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-002.jpg) http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-003.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-003.jpg) http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-004.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-004.jpg) http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-005.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-005.jpg) http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-006.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-006.jpg)

Some detail pictures of the whole setup and face mask and dome:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-008.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-008.jpg) http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-009.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-009.jpg) http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-010.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-010.jpg) http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-011.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-011.jpg)

Here is the face mask next to the Kaiyodo vinyl kit sculpt:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/th_Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-007.jpg (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x177/NoHumorMan/Kits/Vader/Marmit-Vader-ANH-Prototype-05-007.jpg)

shocktrooper_au
05-25-2012, 03:39 AM
You could always recoup some of the cost by doing us casts :monkey3

abake
05-25-2012, 08:01 AM
And are you going to keep the parts like that? Or will you build a semi-Marmit Vader with them?

Too Much Garlic
05-25-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm keeping them as-is and I won't be molding them. I'll display them alongside a Kaiyodo Vader.

wax murderer
05-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Hating you a little right now...PS

Niceman
05-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks for this thread. I have a lot of SS SW figures, but no Darth Vader. Now I'll just be patient for the next SS one.

Customikey
05-27-2012, 08:38 AM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w272/Customikey/7df2bc1f.jpg

Darth Cruel
05-27-2012, 05:49 PM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w272/Customikey/7df2bc1f.jpg

I still have these pics saved on my computer and I refer to them frequently. Absolutely beautiful.

omegaglory1
08-05-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm on the hunt for a SS Darth Vader. What's a reasonable price these days for a new or MIB figure?

Invictus Sol
08-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, there's an exclusive Vader for sale over at the RS boards (http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084256/). The price started at $395.00 and it looks like he might be willing to go down to $300.00, which apparently is a very reasonable price for the exclusive.

scottyb
08-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Well, there's an exclusive Vader for sale over at the RS boards (http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084256/). The price started at $395.00 and it looks like he might be willing to go down to $300.00, which apparently is a very reasonable price for the exclusive.

have a EX Vader for sale!

omegaglory1
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Got my Vader today, off eBay. I've read the reviews on this figure and know some of the points surrounding him, mainly the helmet and the height. So I was surprised to see that the seller had sold me a modded figure, looks like a different helmet. It's a little scratched but not terribly noticeable. An unexpected but nice touch.

As for the height of the figure. What can I say? He's big. I mean, I knew he was supposedly a good head taller than everyone else but after standing him next to my SSC Boba Fett I can see how big he really is. Fett reaches up only to Vader's shoulders. My limited experience with SS figures suggests that they work to a different scale than HT, the latter being smaller. Vader makes Iron Man and the T800 look rather small and petite in comparison and emphasizes the difference between the brands.

Quite pleased with this figure, but not quite ready to sit him side by side with the others. If he wasn't decked out in so much armour and padding he could be a basketball player.

Lejuan
08-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Got my Vader today, off eBay.

If you have the coin for a custom cape (not sure if lforigno is still offering these) it goes a long way to slimming down the perceived mass of the figure. But yeh, not much you can do about the height unless you want to swap out the ab section.

galactiboy
08-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Got my Vader today, off eBay. I've read the reviews on this figure and know some of the points surrounding him, mainly the helmet and the height. So I was surprised to see that the seller had sold me a modded figure, looks like a different helmet. It's a little scratched but not terribly noticeable. An unexpected but nice touch.

As for the height of the figure. What can I say? He's big. I mean, I knew he was supposedly a good head taller than everyone else but after standing him next to my SSC Boba Fett I can see how big he really is. Fett reaches up only to Vader's shoulders. My limited experience with SS figures suggests that they work to a different scale than HT, the latter being smaller. Vader makes Iron Man and the T800 look rather small and petite in comparison and emphasizes the difference between the brands.

Quite pleased with this figure, but not quite ready to sit him side by side with the others. If he wasn't decked out in so much armour and padding he could be a basketball player.

Generally HT and Sideshow figures are in scale with one another... but Vader is an exception. Medicom is usually where you see more scale issues with other lines, but they tend to be consistent with themselves at least.

Steel
08-17-2012, 08:02 AM
I have the ROTJ Medicom and actually sold my SSVader as I was not a fan of the dome. To me, the detail and accuracy of the design stood out over the size variation of the SS, but that's just me.

If you are looking at size in comparison with other SS figures, SS wins.

If you are more interested in details, Med wins (IMHO anyway).

That said, I'm sure SS will have another solid offering. I just wish as a community sharing opinions, we as collectors could remember to be a little more respectful to each other. We all look at these items through different sets of glasses...one person's garbage is gold to the next.

I don't much like the Tomy version, but I won't go to the extreme of hating on it, as it has an appeal and advantages to others that I respect.

My apologies if I sound like a pretentious jerk as that is not my intent. Just wish we could all be a little more respectful of each others opinions and views as we move forward.

Have a great weekend everyone!

DGTWoodward
08-17-2012, 08:08 AM
I have the ROTJ Medicom and actually sold my SSVader as I was not a fan of the dome. To me, the detail and accuracy of the design stood out over the size variation of the SS, but that's just me.

That said, I'm sure SS will have another solid offering. I just wish as a community sharing opinions, we as collectors could remember to be a little more respectful to each other. We all look at these items through different sets of glasses...one person's garbage is gold to the next.

I don't much like the Tomy version, but I won't go to the extreme of hating on it, as it has an appeal and advantages to others that I respect.

My apologies if I sound like a pretentious jerk as that is not my intent. Just wish we could all be a little more respectful of each others opinions and views as we move forward.

I think that you have represented yourself very well actually and do not in any way sound pretentious. Your points are clear and well made and there is nothing inflammatory that I can perceive. It all seems very calm and balanced.

Welcome to the boards and I look forward to your further posts.

On you second main point...You are quite correct. Sadly we are just not. I am not innocent either of this lack of respect. I am in the middle of a minor falling out with a board member here and you are right, it's silly. We are all fans here, we all collect our chosen lines and share that same thrill from acquiring our pieces, such as our choices are.

OSCORP
08-17-2012, 08:10 AM

:goodpost::goodpost::yess:

Actually contemplating getting the ROTJ Medi version 2.0.
I know how well Medi does armor, and i'm sure SS will be solid with flaws... So it's a toss up but medi wins again. But yeah, respect is a thing that is rare in the SW section.

Steel
08-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys!

And WTG... GO WESTHAM! I have family in Bury St. Edmonds an visit the UK every 2-3 years. Wonderful country!

DGTWoodward
08-17-2012, 09:13 AM
...respect is a thing that is rare in the SW section.

Not just there I think, my friend. :(

eczamurai
08-17-2012, 12:17 PM
:goodpost::goodpost::yess:

Actually contemplating getting the ROTJ Medi version 2.0.
I know how well Medi does armor, and i'm sure SS will be solid with flaws... So it's a toss up but medi wins again. But yeah, respect is a thing that is rare in the SW section.

And you got to keep in mind that SS will not be favorable in price anymore. I bet hes going to be AT LEAST 150$.

Not sure how much the Medi goes for tho, 200?

facemaker
08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
If you are willing to shell out $300 for the old SS Darth Vader rather than getting the new Medicom or waiting for the new SS, you might just be a bit of a spaz and not thinking things through. Many of you are obviously in your teens because your justifications for why SS is superior reek of fan boyism,...not legtimate points.
If a bit of scale is more important that character accuracy you are officially just a doll collector who suffers deep seeded OCD.t
Sideshow is 4th in overall sixth scale figure quality after Hot Toys, Enterbay and Medicom. If you think SS produces higher quality 1/6 scale than those companies,..you are probably a pre-pube.
Many people said the same thing when Medicoms ROTJ Boba VERSION 2 came out and it turns out it was superior to the SS release.

The only thing SS will have on the new medi is an orgy of accessories to accompany the figure. That being said, the medi accessories are focused and useful and there is no way SS will release a better Sebastian Bach head sculpt when theirs comes out.

I appreciate nice things. I only judge by overall product quality.
SS makes decent statues and busts and they did execute some of the star wars aliens ok.

So, to answer the question. If you REALLY want the "best" Vader figure you should roll with the just released Medi. The voice feature is executed very well as it is loud and crisp and authentic recordings of the actual voice. The outfit and sculpt are detailed with greater craftsmanship and care. The product is simply higher end than the SS will be in every way other than accessory totals....which many times turn out to be overkill and not needed.

facemaker
08-17-2012, 01:43 PM
And you got to keep in mind that SS will not be favorable in price anymore. I bet hes going to be AT LEAST 150$.

Not sure how much the Medi goes for tho, 200?

Cheaper than Boba Fett? Yeah right...
$200 minimum...

Medi goes for $300

eczamurai
08-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Cheaper than Boba Fett? Yeah right...
$200 minimum...

Medi goes for $300

Medi goes for 300$?! That's retail? Don't think I believe that. O_o

facemaker
08-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Medi goes for 300$?! That's retail? Don't think I believe that. O_o

It's up on Sideshows site. Look for yourself.
The LED saber alone probably accounts for $50

eczamurai
08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
It's up on Sideshows site. Look for yourself.
The LED saber alone probably accounts for $50

Yeah Sideshow... Everything is goddamn expensive there IMO. Sure you could find him for 250 if you tried? Right?.....? (not sure)

eczamurai
08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Found him for 275 already, probably somewhere if you plow you can find him for 250. But yeah didn't need to glowing saber and voice box on this.. would easily drop him 75$.. << Lame. Not buying I guess.

facemaker
08-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Found him for 275 already, probably somewhere if you plow you can find him for 250. But yeah didn't need to glowing saber and voice box on this.. would easily drop him 75$.. << Lame. Not buying I guess.

I agree...the light up saber is not needed.
The chest lights would have been cooler perhaps.
The voice box is cool because it adds a bit of gravity even though its gimmicky.
It's also a missed opportunity because he repeats phrases rather than just saying them in succession.

Still,..the Bach sculpt and the overall look of the guy says he is the best looking Vader yet.

I had a $74 credit at SS I was considering dropping on this guy which would make him $225...

eczamurai
08-17-2012, 06:54 PM
I agree...the light up saber is not needed.
The chest lights would have been cooler perhaps.
The voice box is cool because it adds a bit of gravity even though its gimmicky.
It's also a missed opportunity because he repeats phrases rather than just saying them in succession.

Still,..the Bach sculpt and the overall look of the guy says he is the best looking Vader yet.

I had a $74 credit at SS I was considering dropping on this guy which would make him $225...

Problem is the saber looks ugly imo. Doesnt fully light up does it? The chest pièces are something i would much rather have.

eczamurai
08-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Would like to see a sde by side next to the Ss anh for size reference.

facemaker
08-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Problem is the saber looks ugly imo. Doesnt fully light up does it? The chest pièces are something i would much rather have.

I was leary of that too. Looks like just the hilt trying to refelct it up from the inside but its not uniform at all as its all bright at the base.

I would do the cut off hand with this gut most likely...

devilof76
08-17-2012, 09:27 PM
The actor's name was Sebastian Shaw.

Sebastian Bach was the singer for Skid Row.

Problem is the saber looks ugly imo.

Their sabers have always been a problem, but that's probably one of those minor details that only bug you if you're OCD.

Steel
08-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Not just there I think, my friend. :(

Agreed Gentlemen.

BTW, it's nice to have an interaction like this. Great to meet like minded people!

omegaglory1
08-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Had some friends over for dinner the other night and one of them commented on how smart Vader looked. Funny way to describe him I think.

"Lookin' smart, Vader!"

zeiss
08-26-2012, 08:20 PM
I think that other than the scale issue, Medicom's attempts at Vader are still superior to the sideshow one in accuracy. However, the Sideshow version is a more impressive showpiece overall due to the quality of materials and paintwork, along with the increased mass.I hated how the Sideshow version looked unmodded but with a custom dome and cape, I think it looks nice. Here's my modded Sideshow version:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k257/mmhand/IMG_3735-Copy.jpg

I really hope that Sideshow finally gets the ROTJ version right as I am tired of waiting for the perfect Vader.

Puerrarican13
06-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Hi, I need your help. I have an Darth Vader action figure the bottom of the foot says Kaiyodo and he's completely black, his helmet comes off and the year in the back says 1993. His cape is hard solid and goes to his feet. He has a light saver in his hand but it isn't opened. His hand is slightly out to the side. I've been trying to search the internet for pictures or model or if it's worth anything or if it's a collectable. Please help.

Lejuan
06-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Do you mean this one (http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/august/first-looks/darth_vader.htm)?