Simulated leather?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niltusk

Super Freak
Reaction score
What is the best material to simulate a leather look? Maybe similar to what the Black Widow suit would be made from? I've been to a couple hobby stores and anything I've seen there looks like it would be a good sub usually has embossed patterns on it because I guess they use them for furniture and such. I thought maybe vinyl, but the vinyl I see is backed and looks like it would be hard to make into a small outfit. The only thing I've seen even close is some kind of "chalkboard" vinyl, but only available in black and I need dark red and dark blue. :(
Anyways, if anyone has any sources for what the toy companies use for their outfits, pass them along please :yess:

You will have a hard time finding anything usable in stores. Store material is used for upholstery which will be unusable for scale stuff. I would look at thrift stores for cheap vinyl clothing that you can cut up. At least it will be garment quality.

Thanks for the replies, are there any places you can recommend for the leather? I need to dye it basically the same blue and red Spiderman's suit is. :panic:

Tandy leather. If you don't have a store you can order online. Be aware you cant dye chemically treated leather, only vegetable tanned and I've never seen it thin enough for 1/6 scale. Bye the color you want because the only way to change it is by painting it.

Not used them myself, but rio rondo is a name that comes up a lot when people are discussing making leather holsters and things like that.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone. I think I'm going to order a little of everyhtng and just do some cutting and dye testing.

Not sure if it would work for your project, but some bookbinders sell offcuts of very thin real leather in various colours e.g. red and blue. Leather wallets and purses from charity shops are another useful source of materials for 1/6 projects.

I can always provide you with real leather pieces from a small store here. Only problem with real leather is that it is terribly expensive and very hard to work with in 1/6 scale. Really looking forward to the new DX Terminator to see what HT did there. From my understanding they have used real leather.

As for alternative I think Robbie is right. Justgo to a cheap store and buy clothing with the correct leather look alike and cut it. :)

Back