Does it come in...Desert Camo? (Hot Toys Tumbler mod, WIP)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkMagic

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just started modifying my second Tumbler. Don't worry, under all of that primer, the windows and the metallic bits are masked off properly. Going to let this dry completely for a day or two before I lay down the first sand coat.

dsc02647tw.jpg

Hope it turns out nice and weathered. Doing so would really pop the realism.

Outstanding,was thinking of doing it myself but couldn't gather up the courage.I can't wait to see it finished.

Why do I have a feeling we might be seeing the camo tumbler as a con exclusive this year.

Sweet! :clap:clap

I admire all who take the mods aspect to the next level with such high dollar items.Looking forward to the end result!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :hi5: I'm honestly quite nervous about how it's gonna turn out, as I've never attempted repainting something this big and complicated (all the metallic-colored parts and hard to reach places) before. I forced myself to take it apart, mask it and primer it, so that I'd get to the "point of no return". Now I have to see it through, even if it's a disaster. :monkey4

Hope it turns out nice and weathered. Doing so would really pop the realism.

I think that would look cool too, but for now I'm just planning on laying down the simple desert pattern with Tamiya Sand and Nato Brown paint to mimic how it looks as a clean prototype in Begins. Maybe after I see TDKR I'll want to weather it into a Bane-mobile.

Why do I have a feeling we might be seeing the camo tumbler as a con exclusive this year.

Damn, I hope not. It would be one of the biggest con-exclusives ever...no one is gonna want to lug this thing around at a show all day. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :hi5: I'm honestly quite nervous about how it's gonna turn out, as I've never attempted repainting something this big and complicated (all the metallic-colored parts and hard to reach places) before. I forced myself to take it apart, mask it and primer it, so that I'd get to the "point of no return". Now I have to see it through, even if it's a disaster. :monkey4

I think that would look cool too, but for now I'm just planning on laying down the simple desert pattern with Tamiya Sand and Nato Brown paint to mimic how it looks as a clean prototype in Begins. Maybe after I see TDKR I'll want to weather it into a Bane-mobile.

Damn, I hope not. It would be one of the biggest con-exclusives ever...no one is gonna want to lug this thing around at a show all day. ;)
yeah good point that would be one bigg ass box to lug around.

Geeez i wish i had at least one Tumbler , you have 2

1 to display and 1 to Mod

Lucky guy

This is gunna be great , looks like INTOTHEVOID will be sell some stuff to try and buy this off u

Progress Report 04.16.2012

Today I sprayed on the first coat of Tamiya TS-46 (Sand) to the main body unit and the afterburner housing.

With the flash on, it looks too glossy at this point. Below are some more no-flash shots that are more representative of how it looks in person. At the end, I will give it a dull clear coat and sand away any shine.

dsc02648q.jpg

However, by turning off the flash, I am relying on the warm-toned light from the ceiling bulb, so everything looks more yellowy than it really is. (that wall is really white).

dsc02657t.jpg

I spy a Dark Knight.

My last Tamiya sand rattle can is almost empty, and my favorite hobby shop is out. I've ordered some more from the internet, but it won't be here for a few weeks. It's good though because it'll force me to slow down and plan a little more before I spray.

Next steps:

1. Using screenshots and photos, lightly outline the brown parts of the camo pattern.

2. Build a proper "spray box" out of cardboard that is big enough for this thing and can protect my furniture and walls.

I was first inspired to do this after seeing this guy's awesome paint and modification work on the Tyco RC.

https://www.thereplicapropforum.com/f11/1-6-rc-dark-knight-rises-tumbler-131995/

Now that's someone who knows what he's doing! I just got in contact with him for some pointers. :yess:

I also found these great camo pattern drawings to help with the layout, and they seem pretty accurate to the movie so far:

Tumbler_side_camouflage_by_Paul_Muad_Dib.jpg

Tumbler_topview_camouflage_by_Paul_Muad_Dib.jpg

Sorry no progress lately. I'm out of the tan Tamiya paint and I couldn't find any locally, so I ordered some from a guy in Hong Kong. Unfortunately, since paint is hazmat, they can't ship it by airmail...so it's on a boat. Gonna be a while until I get it.

Back