Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritz

My muse is a fickle b**ch
Reaction score
You convinced me I should get and watch Buffy. So I bought the boxed sets for all seven season, watched them and loved the series.

You then convinced me I should get and watch Angel if I liked Buffy. So I bought the boxed sets for all five seasons, watched them and loved the series.

I went to Best Buy yesterday and picked up Firefly for $24. More to follow...

PS. I may have asked this before but does the series (Firefly) take place before or after Serenity?

I've always been under the impression that Serenity takes place after Firefly, but not sure though, only seen Serenity - and loved it!

Yes, Serenity is after Firefly.

Having enjoyed Serenity, & heard the word of mouth on Firefly, I kept looking for it at the video store. Finally rented the whole series in a single box for $2.49 and loved it!

Production value is so high for a TV series & the dialog/script is just consistently killer. Great show, and I'd love to see more. :cool:

It takes place before Serenity, but oddly Mal's character in Serenity seems to be missing all of the character progression from the series and reverts back to his surlier attitude. Dramatic license I guess.

hairlesswookiee said:
yeah it takes place a couple months after serentiy.

..and you mean "Firefly"! ;)

Serenity , the movie takes place AFTER the series Firefly.

It really helps to watch the series first and then watch the movie. You 'll get a much greater appreciation for the charachters and all the little jokes etc..

It's the ony movie I watched 2 times in 24 hrs. and a 3rd time in that same week. For me , that says a hell of a lot!

You really MUST watch the show before the film. As said, you'll apprieciate the characters much more.

If only we had a Firefly series still going though:monkey2

BDboystoys said:
You really MUST watch the show before the film. As said, you'll apprieciate the characters much more.
Yes, series first. The emotional impact of what happens in the movie will be greater.

TheObsoleteMan said:
It takes place before Serenity, but oddly Mal's character in Serenity seems to be missing all of the character progression from the series and reverts back to his surlier attitude. Dramatic license I guess.

Whedon said thats how he wanted Mal to be, the network made him make him more softer for the series.

TheObsoleteMan said:

Given what happens to the characters, wouldn't it be difficult for the film to occur before the series?

Ironman1188 said:
Given what happens to the characters, wouldn't it be difficult for the film to occur before the series?
Yes it would. That's why I said the series takes place before the film.

Viking28 said:
Whedon said thats how he wanted Mal to be, the network made him make him more softer for the series.

In the running commentary for the film, Joss states that Mal is more meaner in the film because he is sort of unraveling. He has been flying without the two people that brings out the best in him Book and Inara. It isn't until the incident on "Miranda" that Mal finds his moral bearings and becomes a "believer".

Well I watched the first three episodes. Serenity 1 & 2 and the Train Job. I must say that so far I LIKE IT.

A few questions. I like the surely Mal. Are you guys saying he mellows later in the series. Now I'm going to have to watch the Movie again (1) doesn't he rescue Inara from the Alliance guy and (2) isn't it Book that dies in Mal's hands on the one planet? Oh and one more thing, does River get any of the kick ass powers she displays during the movie later in the Firefly series?

I wouldn't say that Mal mellows as much as he begins to tolerate his passengers. Mal is much like Han Solo, he has a rough and tough exterior, but he actually cares for and is loyal to the people around him(a big theme with Joss Whedon). Relationships definitely begin to grow towards the end of the series, but given the short life-span of the show, I don't think any of the characters were given a chance to grow to the point that we see them in in the movie. Especially River. And "yes" to your other questions.

I get sad when I think about what the series could have been if it hadn't been canceled. :monkey2

Back