How did you first get inlvolved with Marvel or DC?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I first got into Marvel or DC through...

• Comics themselves

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Cartoons

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Movies

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • TV Shows

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Uncanny Web-Slinger

Super Freak
Reaction score
Was thinking about the endless merchadising, marketing and hype for the Avengers, and how many young kids will first discover Marvel through the film, which led me to wonder which medium people on the forum here first got superhero characters...

I myself became aware of Marvel through the Fox Kids cartoons in the 90's.

Became aware of DC, well basically just Superman through the first Superman film on TV.

How about you?

I was introduced to DC and Marvel through comic books themselves.

I was in the hospital with pneumonia as a kid and I was bored outta my mind.

My parents brought me some toys, coloring books and a ton of comics...I was hooked. :D

For me, it was the comics. My first (two) were these. Not the best subject for a young lad though :lol. Needless to say, since then became a fan of the Bat.

batman399fn.jpg
CFC6oQQCGkKGrHqYOKm8Ez4Eg6eiqBNT1KP-hw_3.jpg

For me, it was the comics. My first (two) were these. Not the best subject for a young lad though :lol. Needless to say, since then became a fan of the Bat.

batman399fn.jpg
CFC6oQQCGkKGrHqYOKm8Ez4Eg6eiqBNT1KP-hw_3.jpg

I've got those--- right at the height of my Batman/DC collecting... Good runs.

My parents are both avid readers so when we traveled my brother and I would always buy comics in second hand bookstores while my folks got books. Amassed quite a collection that way. Collected for the entire 80's... stopped early 90's... got back into it for a few years in the mid/late 90's... then the Planet Hulk graphic novel got me back into it seriously once again.

Not sure. I was very young, and my older cousins were into comics that they got me into. But I also had Superman: the Movie on Betamax and watched The Super Friends/Super Powers, Spiderman and His Amazing Friends and The Incredible Hulk religiously on Saturday mornings. No clue which one I was into first, but there was a pic of me and a friend shooting webs like Spider-Man when we were 2-3 (1982-83), and I was Superman for Halloween when I was 4, I think.

Through comic books 1st. My grandmother just came home one day with these 2 random books. Planet Of The Apes & Daredevil, both by Marvel. I remember the Daredevil issue but not the Apes one since I didn't really like it.

Daredevil_Vol_1_279.jpg

First comic book I bought though is an Amazing Spider-Man mini book thing which collected Amazing Spider-Man #66 to some issue I don't remember.

AmazingSpider-Man066.jpg

Last edited:
I got into things because of the comics but it was the movies that relit my interest in the comics as I got older.

First exposure to comics was reruns of the Adam West Batman and I got a batcave and Batman toys when 89 Batman came out. Then the X-Men cartoon in the 90's followed by Spider-Man and BTAS. Started reading actual comics a few years ago when the movies weren't enough.

I started with the Ultimate universe since it was less daunting, then moved on to the 616 universe with Avengers related stuff. I got into Batman comics in between the two.

I was first introduced to DC when I was kid by watching the old animated Batman series. Ever since then I have been a huge DC fan.

First got introduced to supereheroes from watching Batman 89' when I was a we little lad.

Then the B:AS came on Cartoon Network which even engaged me more.

I recently bought the entire B:AS just for Nostalgia sakes. So awesome still.

Saw this in 4th grade at 7-11 and was hooked. I collected Uncanny X-Men for the next 20+ years and didn't quit until I was in my early 30's :lol

uncanny-x-men-221.jpg

By watching the X-Men and Batman animated series. I also had a stack of completely random news stand comics I would pick up at the grocery store.

I had a neighbor who worked for a printing company that printed Marvel books. He gave some of the print fallout (stuff that couldn't be sold) to me. This included a bunch of Marvel Masterworks hardcovers. So my first exposure to comics was really Stan Lee / Steve Ditko Amazing Spider-Man, as well as the earliest Daredevil, Thor, and Fantastic Four stories.

The thing that got me into the monthly comics was the Doomsday / Death of Superman storyline. I got all the books except for Superman #75, which sold out everywhere like right away. I was 10 years old and didn't about pull lists and whatnot. My dad took me to a comic book show held at a bowling alley to try to find a copy. Nobody had one for less $100. Apparently, I was upset enough for one of the dealers to notice and he told my dad to come to his store after the show and he would sell me a bagged Superman #75 at cover price. When we picked it up, the store owner suggested that I keep it bagged so that it would "retain it's value" and buy a reprint to read next week.

I followed his advice and kept it bagged, and just as he said, it retained it's value and is the most valuable comic in my collection. Now before you head to ebay to check prices, I'm not talking about dollar value. That issue represents my first completed storyline that I collected month after month. It represents the store owner who opened up his store after hours and take a hit on a sale just to see some 10 year old kid finish his first "collection". And it reminds me of how much my dad went out of his way (lots of driving from store to store and to the comic book show) to help me find my one copy of Superman.

tl;dr - A handful of really nice people got me into comics.

For me, it was the Adam West Batman shows. As well, the old Spider-man cartoons. I really didn't get into comics until just before the release of 89 Batman (I was 11). I would buy Batman and Detective Comics loyally for years. I would sometimes branch off to Spider-man, X-Men and others but with no regularity. Then, when McFarlane came out with his own line of Spider-man, I bought the whole series, I believe. I loved his artwork.

But ya, TV shows first, for sure.

I'm a DC guy -- mostly Superman and Batman. Superman was the big deal when I was a kid. Batman secondary. I think that's because Adam West was Batman to me. These days, they've switched.

Mostly movies. Reeve Superman, West Batman. Some TV shows -- George Reeves "Adventures of Superman" was on Nick-at-Nite, Super Friends on Saturday morning.

Some toys -- Super Powers Justice League stuff was great. Had the Hall of Justice. Batmobile. Most of the major figures -- except Wonder Woman. Who wanted a chick toy?

hall-of-justice.jpg

Didn't really get heavier into Batman until the Nolan movies, and moreso with the Arkham games (which got me more interested in the overall Batman universe, as opposed to the Nolan universe).

I only recall owning one comic book when I was a kid. Superman 380, Feb 1983 ...

adv380s.jpg

Didn't really read many comics until I started picking up Batman and Superman GNs over the last year or so.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
It represents the store owner who opened up his store after hours and take a hit on a sale just to see some 10 year old kid finish his first "collection". And it reminds me of how much my dad went out of his way (lots of driving from store to store and to the comic book show) to help me find my one copy of Superman.

That's a really valuable comic, Kabukiman. :goodpost:

As for me, it was comics, too, but I dunno when. They were always around for me to borrow since the late 70's - my older brother's comics, my friends, my parents friend's children, the library... One of the first Marvel comics I clearly remember owning was Secret Wars #7, which my mom bought me one time I was ill. That, and Thor Annual #12. Year was 1984. Sigh.

Oh, and Transformers #1, too, which made me the coolest guy in school, lol.

Anyway, I was hooked for life after that. Not even my 15-year hiatus, which only ended a couple of years ago, could be a remedy. I blame those gorgeous Omnibus books for my relapse.

My father used to buy me a bunch of comics every week since I was really young. That's how I was introduced to both DC and Marvel.

Back