IF INDEED SIDESHOW IS FADING THE UNIVERSAL MONSTERS AWAY...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anton Phibes

Super Freak
Reaction score
...Here is my absolute "gotta have these before they quit" request list:

1/4 scale:
1.) Creature from the Black Lagoon
2.) Bride of Frankenstein
3.) Werewolf of London

this would make the classic Horror 1/4 scales at 10 different figures (not counting variants) which is pretty good for such an expensive line.

1:1 Busts:
1.) Frankenstein's Monster
2.) The Wolfman
3.) Phantom of the Opera
4.) Creature from the Black Lagoon

this would make for a classic half dozen of Universals being "busted" before quitting, a total of 6 different characters (not counting variants) which is also pretty good for such an expensive line.

I realize not everyone's dream list is mine, and this will probably make alot of people go "But what about my favorite?" So...what's your list look like?

THIS IS OF COURSE IN RESPONSE TOT THE THREAD "SAY IT ISN'T SO", where they learned that SSC plans to slowly move away from the Universal Monsters.

I still think this is likely an overreaction. While sure we're not going to see the number of pieces that we are from SW and Marvel I don't think SS is going to completely pull the plug either. Just look at the 1/6 Bond line. There had been a hiatus with those and people were anticipating the line being dead now they are getting some more 1/6 Bonds in the legacy collection.

Of course, I'm not getting too worked up either, a slow down will actually help collectors like me who aren't just into one license or line and are getting spread thinner by each new announcement. :D

Right now I have zero Universal Monsters, but I've gotta say that if
Sideshow doesn't make a 1/4 scale Creature from the Black Lagoon
then they will have missed one of the most-wanted creatures that
I can possibly think of. I'd buy both a colored version, and likely
a black and white variant (unless it is limited to 15 :rolleyes: ) of
it, as the creature design is timeless and absolutely fantastic.

JS

Brant also said there were no plans for a 1/6 Ygor. How can that be? Make plans damn it. :D

Star Wars will be Sideshows saving grace, and give them a much needed financial injection. When will it ever die? Never most likely. I wonder how long they have the licence for? Apart from the SS/Weta alliance, LotR has been their biggest focus. The Hobbit will undoubtedy revive it somewhat. LotR fans aren't as thrilled at 1/6. Buffy/Angel is over but still has some life in it, what then? There's a strangle hold on DC, which they could really hit out of the ball park. Things are looking tighter and tougher, so much competition going on.

My Uni list isn't very big. 1/6 Ygor to round out the 1/6 line. Even the 8inches had Ygor. PF's? Naturally the Creature tops the bill, and if they can do that justice, a Metulant Mutant would be welcome. The Bride, magnificent sculpt in 1/6, and would be delicious with the red hair as Frankenfan has suggested. I don't know if I would class it as a PF, but The Hunchback, on a rotating whipping wheel, would round out my immediate wants.

You need Dr. Henry Frankenstein too! I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to have him the white lab coat all wild-eyed and in full god-complex mode!

Frankenstein4.jpg

Last edited:
Sideshow's MANDATORY unmade Universal Monsters in the 1/6th scale are, of course, Colin Clive as Baron Henry Frankenstein, Claude Rains as Erique Claudin (1943 Phantom of the Opera) and of course Bela Lugosi as Ygor. There are a few more on my wishlist, but those thre are probably the most important.

creecher said:
Oh, and Maleva.

No offense, but if Bela and Quasimodo shelfwarmed, who the hell is going to buy a 40 dollar figure of a creepy old gypsy woman?

Dr.Mirakle32 said:
No offense, but if Bela and Quasimodo shelfwarmed, who the hell is going to buy a 40 dollar figure of a creepy old gypsy woman?

I would buy her. But since the Mutant was the last 1/6 scale offering I have seen...I think they are done there for good. I was suggesting who you absolutely had to have in 1/4 or as a 1:1 bust. I THINK THE 1/6 LINE IS TOAST.

I think if they could have made a Colin Clive Dr. Frankenstein, they wouldve by now. I cannot for the life of me figure out why there havent been figures of characters you know they could make though. Like the Claude Rains Phantom, various Karloff characters or Son of Dracula, etc.

But I strongly feel that any more new releases we do happen to see will be in the higher end formats. I dunno why, thats just how I feel.:monkey2

Anton Phibes said:
But I strongly feel that any more new releases we do happen to see will be in the higher end formats. I dunno why, thats just how I feel.:monkey2

I would say that you are right about that. I remember it being mentioned in chat that the slower sales of the latest Buffy 1/6 offerings certainly has an impact on future releases. Of course, as disappointing as it can be, certainly makes perfect business sense.

Anton Phibes said:
I would buy her. But since the Mutant was the last 1/6 scale offering I have seen...I think they are done there for good. I was suggesting who you absolutely had to have in 1/4 or as a 1:1 bust. I THINK THE 1/6 LINE IS TOAST.

I think if they could have made a Colin Clive Dr. Frankenstein, they wouldve by now. I cannot for the life of me figure out why there havent been figures of characters you know they could make though. Like the Claude Rains Phantom, various Karloff characters or Son of Dracula, etc.

I know that only the HARDCORE Universal Horror geeks (With the exception of me) would buy her. If they limited her to under 50, that is the only way I could imagine her selling out.

Since it is of course the 75th Anniversary of Drac and Frank, I wish Universal would get off their butts to promote the hell out of the classic monsters, like they did in he 1990's. It could generate more interest from a new genration of people, and could help push Siddeshow to make more unmade Universal characters.

One of these day when I gets me a boatload of money, i am going to hound that figuremaster Les fellow. He is probably the best hope of getting Pretorius, Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Glendon, Dr. Mirakle, and all of the other Universal and Hammer Ghoulies that are out there. Not to mention "B" monsters. DO YOU HEAR THAT FIGUREMASTER...ONE DAY YOU WILL SCULPT ME SOME MONSTERS. BUT right now i am really broke so don't take me seriously just yet.:D

Dr.Mirakle32 said:

No offence taken, and I hope you will reciprocate.

I would be the person, who, having bought all the other regular figures in this line, would the hell want Maleva. Which Bela are you talking about warming shelves? I haven't looked at the Sideshow site, but from memory they haven't posted the Drac's edition size, though I have heard it is 10,000. One of the largest edition sizes Sideshow has made, besides Connery Bond at 15,000. Hardly surprising then is it. Quasimodo, I cannot defend on that aspect. I cannot remember the circumstances surrounding his release. Forty dollars is cheap, by international standards, by which I have to pay. You dont appreciate how good you have it.

Maleva has often been requested, and rightly so. She's perfect for a 1/6 Uni Monster release. Sideshow artisans have a great track record of doing sculpts of old craggier faced people, as opposed to smooth skinned ones. She was the star to the stars, and it would have made a great testiment to her life. She would be a great bash for a witch. In any event we wont be seeing her, but she will still remain a want for me. I prefer not to take a defeatist attitude, of course only HARDCORE Universal Horror geeks (With the exception of you) would buy her. We are the fans buying all the other geeky Uni stuff Sideshow is putting out that helped build Sideshow to the point they are producing the Star Wars line that everyone seems to be upset by, besides the Star Wars fans themselves. I reckon it could take years for Sideshow to produce enough and sell enough Star Wars figures to even pay the licence requirements. With Uni Monsters I would think that isnt even in the equation, so the occassional release, will always be well received, at least by some, and in a lower edition size will be even more sought after, at least by the scalpers.

I meant Bela the Gypsy, who can still be found quite easily for dirt cheap prices. Of course I know there is a small demand for Maleva, but not enough for Sideshow to produce over 1000. If they make under 100 of her, she would be quite the collectible and I'm sure all Malevanites will get theirs. I am not opposed to a Maleva, I just personally feel that there are so many more important Universal characters that deserve to be made before her.

I see your point Dr. I did ramp up my view somewhat, as you might have realised, but don't hold back, give us your wants, I'll back you up. There can never be enough Uni monsters. Though they will probably be subject to the same reasons as you have stated, and most likely wont make it to the production stage. We are doomed never to get a Dr Frankenstein. :monkey2

Here is my definitive 1/6th scale Universal Monsters want list.

Claude Rains as The Phantom of the Opera
Colin Clive as Henry Frankenstein
Basil Rathbone as Wolf von Frankenstein
Lon Chaney as Kharis
Bela Lugosi as Dr. Mirakle
Charles Laughton as Dr. Moreau
Bela Lugosi as the Sayer of the Law
Karloff as Hjalmar Poelzig
Karloff as Edmond Bateman (scarred version)
Rondo Hatton as The Creeper
Revenge of the Creature (could be a retool of the original creature doll, with slightly modified suit and an all new head sculpt.)
Bela Lugosi as Ygor

If they only could make these Premium Formats !!! :

- Creature
- Bride
- Invisible Man

I dont even want to post in this thread and acknowledge that SS may be phasing out the UniMonsters

... but I just did :monkey2

SS dont do it without a PF Creature and Bride..... please?

Back