Favorite Stephen King?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
We started discussing in the audiobook section, but he deserves his own thread. I was reading King in high school - at least The Shining and The Stand - really got me into genre stuff even more as a teen.

What's your favorite King? Do you try and read everything he puts out?

I haven't read everything he's done, but I've read several King books. My favorite so far is probably Salem's Lot, though I am a big fan of several of his short stories.

My favorite Stephen King novel is definitely IT. That story is a masterpiece. Then The Stand, The Shining, The Dark Tower Series, and The Green Mile. I've read probably 85% of his books. He gets a little wordy.

I read IT non-stop when I was home sick from school for a week. It remains one of my favorite books.

As far as the scare factor Pet Sematary scared the ____ out of me.

My favorite is The Stand but I also loved running to the store every month to get the next instalment of The Green Mile. :) I just got 11/22/63 and I'll be starting that one soon.

11/22/63 is a very good read. I highly recommend it.

With the help of galactiboy I was able to get a signed, collector's edition. It's the only signed King book I have in my collection.

UI5qo.jpg

I'm a big Stephen King fan. Hard to pick just one favorite but my top three are It, The Stand, and Pet Sematary (I'd seen the movie plenty of times before, but the book creeped me out big time).

11/22/63 is a very good read. I highly recommend it.

With the help of galactiboy I was able to get a signed, collector's edition. It's the only signed King book I have in my collection.

UI5qo.jpg

Congrats on getting a signed copy! I thoroughly enjoyed this one, too. Awesome read.

Even though it's not pure King, The Talisman is my favorite.

The summer after 6th grade, I read Salem's Lot, Carrie, It, Christine, Pet Semetary, The Long Walk and The Gunslinger. I didn't read The Stand until I was 30. Still haven't finished The Dark Tower, but Wizard and Glass is the high point so far.

This is a tough one. Its between the Stand and the Shining. I think I'd have to go with the Stand though. The uncut version is a monster, but such a great ride. I always find it amazing how he can kill an entire forest with a single copy of his book and keep your attention the whole time!

I also find it amazing how good he is at short stories too. Just goes to show he doesn't have to drag things out to tell a good story. He can give it to you nice and quick or really take his time and take you on a long trip. I love getting the audio books to his short story collections because they usually get a different narrator for each one, many of whom have been in various King films. Carrie being read by Carrie was pretty cool too :lol

King's one weakness though is his endings. I really liked It up until the ending. Same thing with Under the Dome. I feel like he has these great stories and characters but never quite knows how to end it. Sometimes he nails it though, like with the Shining, the Stand, but more often he just has something really off the wall and bizzare and it just doesn't work. Thank goodness his son Joe was able to give him the ending to 11/22/68. I think I could see King's ending in there, but I'm glad his son got him a better ending.

His son goes under the name Joe Hill. He has written 2 novels I think, Heart Shaped Box & Horns. I enjoyed both of them a lot.

My favorite King book is The Stand - "Baby can you dig your man?". I first read it back in high school and absolutely loved it. I have read it a couple more times over the years - complete and unabridged. I really liked a lot of his older stuff - Salem's Lot scared the cr@p out of me, Carrie, Christine, Firestarter, The Dead Zone, Pet Semetary, It. I slowly started to lose interest in his books after that and the book that made me stop reading him altogether was The Tommyknockers. One of his worst books IMO. Over the last 5 years or so I started to read some of his latest books, Cell, Under the Dome and 11/22/63. I thought 11/22/63 was decent, but didn't care for Cell and thought Under the Dome was way too long.

Back