Comic Collections: TPB or HC?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I prefer to collect...

• Trade Paperbacks

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Hardcovers

Votes: 31 68.9%

• Total voters

Uncanny Web-Slinger

Super Freak
Reaction score
I collect only collected volumes of comics, mostly Marvel.

I've got mostly Trade Paperbacks and a few Hardcovers, while slightly more cost effective than Hardbacks the TPB's come out much later, and with the way Marvel is a series can be cancelled by the time the TPB releases rendering it almost pointless to buy as it's not going anywhere.

I recently got a bunch of HC's and am thinking of trading up to them for all new buys, the only concerns i have is those of the same genre (X-Men) not matching up on the shelf to the TPB's and a small page amount volume seems pointless in a deluxe hardcover.

What do you guys/girls prefer?

If you check out the pics on my collection thread you'd know I'm all about the HCs. :wink1:

I did and you have, also we got some books in common :hi5:

I think i'll stick to TPB's for series that are ongoing and go HC for new series.

I'm a stickler for a neat and organized chronological shelf :monkey3

TPBs. They are easier to read and weigh less (it adds up). I only get hardcovers when I have no choice or find a good deal.

I know what you mean, thats kinda why i hate thin HC's as they are harder to read than the bigger books, but i did start buying the Walking Dead HC's and found them quite easy to read.

Last edited:
The story is what's important. That's why my collection is almost all TPB or monthly floppies. Hardcovers are cool if you have the shelf space, and I won't talk down to those who collect hardcovers, but as long as you get the story at a fair price, you win.

The story is what's important. That's why my collection is almost all TPB or monthly floppies. Hardcovers are cool if you have the shelf space, and I won't talk down to those who collect hardcovers, but as long as you get the story at a fair price, you win.

:lecture

Absolutely. Although I prefer hardcovers, I won't pass up a good TPB at a good price. :D

Paperbacks are cheaper, take up less space, and have the same content. I usually only buy the stuff I find at Half Price anyway, though ... so I have a few HCs.

SnakeDoc

I collect HCs only. I have about 10 Absolute editions from DC and I mainly collect Superman and Batman related comics. That said, I'm thinking about getting back into Marvel and get all the X-Men books.

Most of my hardcovers come from the fact that they come out first. The price difference between the two formats usually isn't big enough where I will wait for a TPB.

But if both editions are already out, I'll grab the TPB for the price and smaller size.

I prefer TPB to read but if it's a book I really like the Art in then I like to have a HC to display on my bookshelf, not that I have many but that's how I do it.
x :duff

Gotta love Absolute Editions. Absolute Morrison Batman & Robin coming out in the summer. Phenomenal writing in that run :rock

Over the last while I've found myself gravitating toward omnibuses. Right now, I pick up singles, and then go for the hard covers if it's a series I really enjoyed. Might just wait a little longer for the big books.

Hard cover is better.

I do have TPB's but only for certain comics. There are some (anything Firefly/Serenity) that I make sure I have HC.

Last edited:
Since Marvels new inconsistent binding plan i'm gonna have to get TPB's again now after having switched the HC.

The worst is ongoing series that i have in HC only getting TPB's now :mad:

I don't think there's really anything new about that, Nova. They had Hardcovers for Brubaker's Captain America Winter Soldier volumes 1 and 2 years ago. This was followed by his Red Menace arc that only saw TPB. Then The Death Of Captain America volumes followed that back again in Hardcover. Looking as recently as Pak's final Hulk contributions they were only available in TPB after his previous Son of Banner, Fall of The Hulks, World War Hulks, and Dark Son were all hardcover.

It's annoying as hell.

Back