Game of Thrones - book series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
For discussion of the books where they are now. If you're a TV-only fan you might want to stay away or risk being spoiled.

(can you say "Red Wedding"?)

I've read all the books so far. I thought everything up to the Red Wedding was pretty awesome. I applaud GRRM for not holding back on killing his main characters. But the quality of the books have gone down in the past 2 books IMO. It's just a case of too many characters and too much stuff going on spread out over too big an area. IMO He should've just focussed on the original Houses (Stark, Targaryn and Lannister) and the areas they roam. I couldn't care less about Dorne, Iron Islands, Braavos and elsewhere.

Nonetheless, I'm curious to see how this series will end.

I'd agree with you, Eiko82, about the number of tangent story lines. The first two or three books are excellent, and it's easily my favorite book series, but it feels like Martin doesn't know what to do with the main story line or is dragging it out on purpose, filling thousands of pages with descriptions of doublets and trenchers of beef. The writing is still good, and some of those tangent lines are interesting, but I'd rather he just get on with the story before he dies and the series has to be finished by someone else.

Last note of _____ing: I can't believe I waited over seven years to get two measly chapters on Arya in the fifth book.

I've heard this series is good, but I literally know nothing about it. What's the basic premise? Is it a Lord of the Rings type fantasy? A Medieval Drama? Arthur/Camelot? Sword and sandal epic?

SnakeDoc

I'm still debating if I should start reading the books 3-5. I'm hoping Martin finishes the next two books sooner than the last two, otherwise I don't want to wait another 10 years for this series to finish. That is if he manages to finish it at all, considering his health.:(

I'm still debating if I should start reading the books 3-5. I'm hoping Martin finishes the next two books sooner than the last two, otherwise I don't want to wait another 10 years for this series to finish. That is if he manages to finish it at all, considering his health.:(

I'd definitely recommend you read Book 3 (probably the best in the series IMO). Books 4 and 5...not so much.

Book three is the best... If the show gets to show the Red Wedding it'll shock people even more than Ned Stark's unfortunate "no longer in need of a good haberdasher" moment.

I'm almost done with book 4, and so far I completely agree with the "too much deviation from the original houses" complaint. I'm kind of annoyed with the focus on Samwise Gamgee (err... Samwell Tarly :monkey1), as his story, to me, peaked with the events north of the wall.

edit: Removed spoiler tags

Last edited:
No spoiler tags... If you haven't read the books then you shouldn't be in here.

I didn't like the splitting that occurred in books 4 & 5-- My favourite storyline (besides Tyrion's journey) is Jamie with Brienne of Tarth.... lots of great stuff there. I can't wait for season two to get there...

In watching the first episode of S.2 last night it occurred to be how much stuff they have to cover with Theon, Brieanne, Samwell -all new story threads that are adding to - not replacing - the storylines from S.1.

I'm almost done with book 4, and so far I completely agree with the "too much deviation from the original houses" complaint. I'm kind of annoyed with the focus on Samwise Gamgee (err... Samwell Tarly :monkey1), as his story, to me, peaked with the events north of the wall.

edit: Removed spoiler tags

It doesn't get any better in Book5. :(

This is sorta shallow, but I felt that the first book was nearly impossible to read because I had a hard time pronouncing and remembering all the names and places. :lol

I was reading it aloud to my wife. Just couldn't do it past the first 3 or 4 chapters and gave up.

Whereas the Barsoom series the names and places, while unfamiliar are at least readable, pronouncable, and memorable.

This is sorta shallow, but I felt that the first book was nearly impossible to read because I had a hard time pronouncing and remembering all the names and places. :lol

I was reading it aloud to my wife. Just couldn't do it past the first 3 or 4 chapters and gave up.

Whereas the Barsoom series the names and places, while unfamiliar are at least readable, pronouncable, and memorable.

I thought the same thing, but was able to get through the first book, although, it did take me a while. It also helped reading it after watching the first season, so I could put faces to names.

And after seeing how closely the show follows the book, I won't be reading any further.

Back