How many collectors keep or sell their Hot Toys figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which type of hot toys collectors are you?

• I keep nearly all of my hot toys and have only sold 1-4 since i started

Votes: 71 44.9%
  • I keep mostly all my Hot Toys figures, only rarely sell one or two

Votes: 58 36.7%
  • I rent hot toys for a while and sell them off when i grow bored of them

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I rent hot toys, sell them and upgrade to the newest version of the character

Votes: 14 8.9%

• Total voters

jackieboyshead

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Not been here long but ive noticed that in the for sale sections there are lots of collectors selling hot toys, there are many others brands and collectibles of course but hot toys seem to be the majority even figures released not so long ago.

This isn't a both sides view of the percentage of those who keep their figures forever and those who sell them off but its got me curious as to the collecting habits of those who buy hot toys

I mostly collect busts but have gotten interested in some of hot toys licenses. It seems that there is a group of collectors who just rent the figures for abit and then sell them off.

Thought it would be an interesting topic :)

I've sold a few, but its generally been something that I didn't want that I thought I wanted, or I was really disappointed with it once I got it. Except for some snap OMG I need that moments though, I try to only buy what I collect and plan to keep. Luckily I stick to a list and I'm almost cured of buying outside my normal collecting parameters. This includes all collectibles, not just Hot Toys.

Options 1 and 2 seem kinda similar but I went with 2. I have sold things out of great need for money (to buy more) however going forward I aim to be ever more careful that what I'm buying isn't something I'm just gonna sell in a few years. I want to buy 'keepers' only. I don't see the point in 'renting' figures. Of the things that I have sold, if I had known I was probably going to sell them, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

The option I'd pick doesn't exist, I haven't sold any so far. I buy most of their releases and to me they're all keepers. I have no reason to sell them for now.

however going forward I aim to be ever more careful that what I'm buying isn't something I'm just gonna sell in a few years. I want to buy 'keepers' only. I don't see the point in 'renting' figures. Of the things that I have sold, if I had known I was probably going to sell them, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

After selling off 1st DX Joker, Two-Face and Final Battle John Connor I have been doing my best to have that same mentality lately. Thats why I have passed on a lot of "impulse" figs (Superman, '89 DX Joker and Batman) that I would have bought a year ago. As of right now the only HT fig I have is Jack Sparrow and I'm probably going to keep him for a while.

I haven't reached a point yet where I would sell any of them. Have them from Rocky to Jack Sparrow and love them all.

Options 1 and 2 seem kinda similar but I went with 2. I have sold things out of great need for money (to buy more) however going forward I aim to be ever more careful that what I'm buying isn't something I'm just gonna sell in a few years. I want to buy 'keepers' only. I don't see the point in 'renting' figures. Of the things that I have sold, if I had known I was probably going to sell them, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

:goodpost:

I've sold 3 since i started.

Don't have any intention of getting upgrades, already have Batman, Joker, Iron
Man and Captain America and love them as they are, new versions don't interest me.

I buy to keep for the long haul, only sold those three cos i needed the money at the time and they were similiar to what A-Dev said, as the least of my favourites

Last edited:
I have never sold a single HT.

I only collect my favorites as $200 a pop they better be my favorite!

I did kinda get sucked into the whole collect because it's cool right at the beginning of collecting but thankfully I only bought 2 figures (still own them) then smartened up and only go for the stuff I really really love.

I also collect for fun not as an investment. Whither the price goes up or down I still enjoy the figure.

I'm still building up my collection so naturally I haven't sold any yet. But I do try and collect only the best. No need for characters I disliked.

I sold my first two HT's (DX01 and 02) to foot the bill for the 89 stuff (Batman, Joker and the Batmobile), as I needed something to take the edge off, and also, because I know that there are superior versions of both of those on the way. I never buy with the intention of reselling, that being said, I am careful of what I buy as, if ever a time does arrive when I need to sell, I'm not stuck with a figure that I can't even break even on.

I've sold mainly only my Hot Toys jokers and I am currently selling my Terminator Figures, but not because I dont like them but cause I need the money. I'd keep them all if I had a job that afforded me to do so.

What about the people that buy doubles and sell their extra one to make money. I am sure there are quite many of them around.

What about the people that buy doubles and sell their extra one to make money. I am sure there are quite many of them around.

Some of the figures I sold or tried to sell were doubles. Even those I didn't buy with the intention of later selling but when the time came where I badly needed money they were the first things I looked at as things to possibly move along. Theres been times I allowed myself to get a bit too overhyped about a figure where I thought I couldn't have any less than two - turns out I could. So now I will stop and really consider whether I need two of any given figure.

Shortly after I got into HT, Sideshow started the GI Joe line and I was overwhelmed with nostalgia. Sold Blade and Wolverine and told myself I would only collect the cheaper line?!:cuckoo: I wqill never let go what I love again!!

:dunno Option for me isn't there... Kept them all. Why bother buying if you're just going to sell them?...

I was thinking about buying an extra Jack Sparrow just for that reason... good thing I didn't.

Same here. Bought singles only to look for parts to build the optional outfit and it just seem to make more sense to just buy two many times. And I justified it by selling extra parts I didn't need right after. That now in retrospect was a bad idea since I don't have an extra complete set to sell after.
Oh and I started running out of space especially since HT has been releasing sooooo many IMs. So now no more doubles but even the single being Blade that I sold was for space reason and I needed to start putting the foot down and stop collecting all over the place.

The "rent" analogy doesn't make a lot of sense, because very few Hot Toys lose value over the long term. Renting implies that you are spending money on something you don't own long-term, yes, but it also implies that the investment you are putting into them won't appreciate, or even be worth the same once you decide that you know longer want them. A better analogy would be buying a stock or bond. Whenever most people buy a stock, they eventually plan on re-selling it for a profit. Some will lose money, some will make money, and some will break even. But despite that, you don't say that people "rent" stocks. Renting has very specific connotations of spending money that you have no plan on getting back.

Back