Do NOT buy the upcoming "Batman: Year One" Deluxe Edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
From David Mazzucchelli, artist of Batman: Year One:

DC just sent me this book last week, and I really hope people don’t buy it. I didn’t even know they were making it, and I don’t understand why they thought it was necessary —_ several years ago, DC asked me if I’d help put together a deluxe edition of Batman: Year One, and Dale Crain and I worked for months to try to make a definitive version. Now whoever’s in charge has thrown all that work in the garbage. First, they redesigned the cover, and recolored my artwork — probably to look more like their little DVD that came out last year; second, they printed the book on shiny paper, which was never a part of the original design, all the way back to the first hardcover in 1988; third — and worst — they printed the color from corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond’s hand-painted work. Anybody who’s already paid for this should send it back to DC and demand a refund.

What the Hell, DC??:slap:cuckoo:

This is the one, right? They never mentioned the goof-up they intended to do :mad:

YO.png

Yeah, that's it. But the cover now looks like this: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401233422[/ame]

Avoid.

I understand where the artist is coming from, but at the end of the day, DC is the licensor and has the final decision. Can't really blame them tbh.

They could've given Year One the 'Absolute' treatment. But at 144 pg., don't think they would've done that. I had no intentions of buying this, but it's sad to see the Artist himself talking about such thing, what a shame.

I understand where the artist is coming from, but at the end of the day, DC is the licensor and has the final decision. Can't really blame them tbh.

And that is precisely the enabling mindset that allows DC and Marvel to continue to get away with this kind of crap.

Where is the integrity or accountability? Why this complete lack of respect for original creators? It's flat out disgusting.

Well screw them. They're just leeching off the talents.

New cover looks better. Changes such as those happen all the time, in every job, and moreover, it is not the artist's decision to choose what is going to be published, and much less in which format. I get where he is coming from though, but such is life.

511a079UW8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have all 4 issue, first print! :panic::panic::panic: and the paperback.

I could kind of understand where you were coming from with Watchmen (though I still didn't agree with it,) but this is kind of ridiculous. For one thing, it's not that big of a deal, "shiny paper" and "recoloring" happen all the time, and I don't see how it's hurting anything, especially when the other editions are so easy to find. Second of all, I love Mazzuchelli's work on this book, I'd argue that it is my favorite interpretation ever, however, I don't see how DC is wrong here. The bottom line is that Batman is DC's intellectual property, whether the book is by Miller and Mazzuchelli, or Jesus of Nazareth, it is still DC's intellectual property and they can do what they want with it. I really don't see the big deal with this, for one thing, we don't even know the extent of the changes (even if it is recolored, I highly doubt they'll do a total 180 of Mazzuchelli's original vision,) and it doesn't even seem like they're that big of a deal anyway.

I could kind of understand where you were coming from with Watchmen (though I still didn't agree with it,) but this is kind of ridiculous. For one thing, it's not that big of a deal, "shiny paper" and "recoloring" happen all the time, and I don't see how it's hurting anything, especially when the other editions are so easy to find. Second of all, I love Mazzuchelli's work on this book, I'd argue that it is my favorite interpretation ever, however, I don't see how DC is wrong here. The bottom line is that Batman is DC's intellectual property, whether the book is by Miller and Mazzuchelli, or Jesus of Nazareth, it is still DC's intellectual property and they can do what they want with it. I really don't see the big deal with this, for one thing, we don't even know the extent of the changes (even if it is recolored, I highly doubt they'll do a total 180 of Mazzuchelli's original vision,) and it doesn't even seem like they're that big of a deal anyway.

You still don't get it, do you? No one is saying that DC doesn't have a legal right to do stuff like this. We're questioning why they seemingly go out of their way to spurn, shun and ignore the actual creators responsible for some of their greatest books. The right to do what you want and doing the right thing can sometimes be leagues apart. This is yet another one of those examples.

Also, I think you might just underestimate the value of art, and how important maintaining the integrity and vision of original works of art is to its creator(s). And, yes, comics are an art form. If the changes are a big deal to Mazzuchelli (and they clearly are) then it is a big deal. Especially to anyone who respects creators.

Back