Any good tips for drybrushing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterelf

Super Freak
Reaction score
hi guys, i'm thinking of getting a airbrush from china and i'm completely new to this equipment. my question is, are there any good websites or tutorials for using drybrush, like what paint can i use, how to control the flow etc.

EDIT !!!
typo, i mean airbrush !!!

Last edited:
if you an actual tutorial, go to youtube and search for drybrushing, I customize Transformers figures so I am well experienced on this, I mainly use Enamel paints for drybrushing, also its great for detailing. I used Model Master Acrylics for airbrushing, you can use them on drybrushing as well, Testors is a good brand. You might want to try also Vallejo Acrylics or Games Workshop paints. Hope this helps.

:exactly: Here's a nice short one, but there are a ton of various techniques for various applications.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcIYkCz-Dco[/ame]

:exactly: Here's a nice short one, but there are a ton of various techniques for various applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcIYkCz-Dco

This method/way of drybrushing is typically used in scale-modelling, on a hard surface like plastic/resin, and stuff like that, and if you do it correctly, you will hardly see it, unless you are closeby. Dry-brushing on cloth/clothes is different, you must leave some paint on the brush...well, more paint then the guy on this vid does!

if you an actual tutorial, go to youtube and search for drybrushing, I customize Transformers figures so I am well experienced on this, I mainly use Enamel paints for drybrushing, also its great for detailing......

Enamel paints on for instance Jason headsculpts from sideshow is not a good idea, since the paint will not fully dry!

I could be wrong , but do you mean AIRBRUSH , not DRYBRUSH ? An airbrush is the piece of equipment , drybrush(ing) is the technique of lightly "flicking" a regular paintbrush over raised detail to accentuate it . ( That's a very potted description !) .

I recently bought my 1st airbrush and I use Vallejo Model Air paints.
I find that I have to mix them with the Vallejo Model Air Thinner, because if I dont, the airbrush clogs up and I have to clean it.
I spray at 10-15 PSI.
It really is easy to use, but there is a learning curve to it, which you will quickly pick up after using it a few times.

The downside to using an airbrush is just that . Thinning the paints to the right consistency is an art itself and it doesn't help that different paints all need different ratios of water/thinner . I've even known different colours from the same brand to thin down differently . But in the long run , it's a skill worth mastering ( if you can ever "master" a modelling skill !) as the results speak for themselves . I've a number of airbrushes ( 5 at the last count ) ranging from very basic "starter" sets , up to very expensive "state of the art " bits of kit . Unfortunately , both of my compressors broke within 12 months of each other so until I can afford to get a new one , I'm back to using spray cans and brushes ! ( But there are a few other techniques such as pastel chalks , powders , washes and the like, that can produce "airbrush-like" results as well , so not having an airbrush needn't be a handicap .) .:wink1:

Back