So, will we ever get a 2nd Human Face Spike?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Yeah, I know there is a lot of animosity over re-sculpted figures here. However, after seeing how well the new human face Angel turned out, I would really like to see a new version based on Spike's Angel appearances. So, far I have not been able to "pull the trigger" to purchase Spike. Part of it is the cost. But it also has alot to do with the lifeless look on Spikes face. Don't get me wrong, the sculpt is dead on in features.. its just lacking in character. The original Angel was the same way. So what's the chance of getting another in the Angel line to A.) help the late adopters who do not want to spend EvilBay prices, and B.) create a sculpt with a non-manequin expression. Give me your honest opinions.

P.S. PF Spike doesn't count... HOWEVER, they did touch on an idea SST should have been using since Day One... swappable heads for Vamp characters. If they could do it with Goldeneye 006, they could have done it with every Vamp character.

I'm betting they will. Maybe they'll do one from the submarine flash back episode so he's wearing a different outfit. Or from the 'Restless' episode or 'Tabula Rasa' where he's wearing the tweed suit. But I really want a William figure in period costume like Origin's Angel (with a Dru and Darla to go with them).

I'm also betting that now that there is this awesome looking PF Spike coming out that the demand for the 12" Spike will dwindle. People are paying so much money for those so I'm sure they'd be willing to pay about the same or less for the PF figure.

I'm sure he'll turn up eventualy in the Angel line, but not for a while due to the PF version.

You mean a 3rd human Spike? Every Spike and every Buffy sell well, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get another 1/6 Spike before too long.

That would be like when Coca-Cola released a new version of Coke...

Needless to say never fix something that ain't broke. Oluf's HS sculpt is regarded as one of the best sixth scale likeness' ever. Why do another one?

Btw, the PF Spike looks like the same sculpt except in 1/4 scale and it looks amazing...

pjam said:
That would be like when Coca-Cola released a new version of Coke...

Needless to say never fix something that ain't broke. Oluf's HS sculpt is regarded as one of the best sixth scale likeness' ever. Why do another one?
Yeah, you can't improve on perfection. Just ditch the red shirt and throw in some Angel season 5 specific accessories, and it's easy money for Sideshow.

I will not deny that the School Hard Spike is a great sculpt. However, the expression is rather lifeless to me. For lack of a better explanation, he just seems rather zombie-ish. I would love to get a 12" with the PF sculpt (plus the exchangable heads LOL). It looks much more intense and concentrated (he's concentrating... not getting ready to make lemonade ). If you look carefully you can see the difference.

P.S. Sorry for a duplicate post on the Spike is Live thread. I meant for it to go here.

I'm hoping the price will drop on the 12" spike once the PF comes out - hopefully a few might get released by collectors who get the PF.... here's hoping anyway. Its one of only two Buffy SSC 12" figures I don't have - well - 3 if my D'Hoffryn waitlist doesn't convert.

My original human Spike has a slight smudge on the cheek. At the time, I didn't really care, but now that it's so in demand, I wish I'd swapped him out.

I really hope that if/when they make another Spike, it is a standard human faced version and not a classical William like Origins Angel.

I think since Origins Angel didn't do as well as expected, they might just release another modern Spike.

I think that a William the poet doll would do quite well if it did indeed look like him, rather then just the Spike doll with a wig on.

I think the origins Angel doll didn't do too well because of the outfit was slightly off putting in a weird way and the likeness was rather 'off' also.

He looked too much like season 5 Angel (ie older and much fuller in the face) with a wig on insted of younger and thiner as he appeared in those early episodes.

Apart from William I'd like to see a Boxer rebellion Spike which would then fit in beautifully with a BR Angel and Darla.

Infact there's the potential to recreate the whole 'fanged four'.

sueworld said:
I think that a William the poet doll would do quite well if it did indeed look like him, rather then just the Spike doll with a wig on.

I think the origins Angel doll didn't do too well because of the outfit was slightly off putting in a weird way and the likeness was rather 'off' also.

He looked too much like season 5 Angel (ie older and much fuller in the face) with a wig on insted of younger and thiner as he appeared in those early episodes.

Apart from William I'd like to see a Boxer rebellion Spike which would then fit in beautifully with a BR Angel and Darla.

Infact there's the potential to recreate the whole 'fanged four'.

I think the photos of Liam/Angel don't do the figure justice. This is a figure that looks so much nicer in person. It is my favorite Angel sculpt (until I get the 'City of' version that is). The likeness, in person, is spot on. I'm saying this as someone who was hesitant to even buy this figure in the first place because I was never a fan of how David B. looked in the flashback episodes. I really debated with myself on whether or not I even wanted it and was quite surprised with how much better it looked in person than the promo shots.

Anyway, I think the figure didn't sell fantastically well just for the fact that their wasn't another figure to pair him up with. If they sell the other three of the fantastic four I'm sure that would peak interest in him as well.

And many people have expressed a desire for William or BR Spike. I think the fact that Spike is a fan favorite alone will guarantee that it will be a hit figure, especially if they make sure it's a great expression on his face.

Boxer_group.JPG

Any chance that Sideshow would ever create scene specific multiple character packages? I know one of my favorite things Hasbro did with the Star Wars line were three packs with a little bit of diorama goodness. I think the Fangtastic Four would be ideal for this. I think I would be more eager to get scene specific characters knowing that other elements of that scene would be made. For example, I would jump at the chance to get BR spike if they at least hint that the rest of the gang were coming somewhere down the line, or buying Jonathon, knowing I would get my legion of supernerds at some point. Prolly just wishful thinking though.

Regarding the fang four pic two posts above.
I think Spike would look great in them clothes BUT......
The Darla,dru,and angelus's outfits are ugly.

I would not pay £30-£40 pound for all four each.
And if they made one you would need all four.
Im happy with my dru and angels,I just think a new spike and darla are needed.
I would rather two modern figures though.

Darklord Dave said:

I knew if anyone could do it.. it would be Dave :D

As to Buffy Collector, I will give you that Dru's outfit in that episode was somewhat drab. However, Angelus looks amazing. Something about that suit/tie mixed with his "proto"-trenchcoat as nother member put it, it would be my favorite Angel of all (well, as long was we get a facial sculpt as good as the previous entries).

As for Darla, while I am male, and probably missing the intricacies of female fashion (sorry, my focus is usually elsewhere :monkey3 ), I think she looks very nic in that dress. Something about Devil Red just works in that scene. While I would buy a 4 pack, I would be equally satisfied with a two pack (esp. Angelus/Spike.. however, I could go for Spike/Dru). Heck, why not 2 2-packs?... I would be willing to cut them some slack for accessories just to get 2 2-packs in the 60 to 70 range. Please Sideshow, "Make it so."

Yes I would probably buy angelus and spike in them clothes.
But as a male I dont think dru's and darla's outfits look good.

I would buy a four pack but not a single pack.

I love anything period, and period costumes + vampires = instant purchase, if I have the cash.

If I knew for certain we would get all four, I would purchase them one by one. Two packs would be nice (Spike & Dru, Angel & Darla)

Knowing that the set would be complete is a big deal! I would buy them individually knowing that the rest were en route, but I could see people waiting if the rest of a group is uncertain.

Yep. :) I wouldn't bother with one unless I was absolutely certain that the other three would be following it.

The pic is a bit dark, but the costumes on Angel and Darla look great and go together very well. Angel's vest matches Darla's dress.

True, Dru's costume isn't as interesting, I'd probably prefer her in period costume from William's turning.

Back