Help with translucent skin and texture painting.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheProcrastinator

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

All the 1/6 skin painting tutorials that I've found so far, were all describing rather basic, if not out-dated techniques. In recent months I was getting more and more interested in this mysterious "translucent" skin painting techniqe, that so many high-level, asian industry painters use. Also the subtle mottling and stippling of the skin texture, that we see on the paint jobs, of so many high-end painters in recent years. So far however I've been unsuccesfull in my search for any kind of clue, as to how such effects are achieved.

Anybody here stumbled upon some tutorial or forum post, that could shed some light on the matter?

Getting that transluscent effect depends entirely on what material the head is cast in. It has to be cast in a special flesh tinted resin or vinyl.

Getting that transluscent effect depends entirely on what material the head is cast in. It has to be cast in a special flesh tinted resin or vinyl.

Well I don't know about "special", but my heads (I just started on this) are to be cast in flesh coloured polyurethane resin, and I'm now experimenting with trying to get a pore effect on the masters...effect like Headplay heads have.
Seems to me that interminable stages of painting (like in the above link) can be done away with: Headplay (having examined under a microscope) seem to have the flesh great just with a light spray of something over their pore effect. I have their Bale--it's awesome, and has minimal paint.

I'll be back, with some results! :impatient:

BTW--the Procrastinator? Looks like you stole my #1 userID, LOL

Back