PDA

View Full Version : Which Hot Toys Iron Man Figure/Set is the best to get?

Geb
02-18-2012, 06:04 AM
I would like to acquire a 'definitive' Iron Man 1/6th figure. Money isn't the problem...I want to know which figure is the best 'definitive' Iron Man figure/set from Hot Toys?

Thanks!

tommyh84
02-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Mark IV

I've owned the Mark III & Mark VI and whilst I cant remember much about the III because I sold it like a week later I do remember the Mark VI feeling very flimsy and fragile while the IV has a much more solid feel to him.

That said I love my Mark IV for one reason really, the Tony Stark head sculpt although I do concede there is an argument that the sculpt isn't that good without the use of the shades but he does look very cool using the sculpt.

hehateme23
02-18-2012, 06:45 AM
I prefer the Mark IV as well because of the Tony Stark HS.

Violator66
02-18-2012, 07:33 AM
I prefer the Mark IV as well because of the Tony Stark HS.

I too have the mark iv and must stay out of all the ironman figures I have owned it is the best. and the head sculpt takes it WAY over the top with the sunglasses............of course :yess:

careyb
02-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Like'em all,but my fav is the Mark IV

EndIessRAlN
02-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Maybe you should start a poll and have everyone vote on the Marks I through VI. For me it's really all about Mark VI. It was in the most exciting part of the second movie, and it looks like it will be in the first half of the Avengers movie. And just the sheer display of it on the diorama stand and interchangeable parts of battle damage or clean version sells it for me. I actually sold my Mark IV (which I loved) and kept the VI because the two looked too similar anyway.

empanada21
02-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I would like to acquire a 'definitive' Iron Man 1/6th figure. Money isn't the problem...I want to know which figure is the best 'definitive' Iron Man figure/set from Hot Toys?

Thanks!

:panic: I also have the same problem. Its been months now and I still can't decide wether to get the iv or vi. At some point I'm leaning over the iv coz of the sweet RDJ HS but sometimes the vi coz of the battle damaged parts. :slap

Just a question to some IM owners, which mark would you prefer to compliment the current Cap, BW, and Thor HT?

(Sorry, didn't actually help the thread starters question but I'm also torn between the marks)

:)

Mark IV

I do remember the Mark VI feeling very flimsy and fragile while the IV has a much more solid feel to him.

Hi tommy,

How exactly is the mark vi flimsy? Does the magnet parts fall off easily?

Thanks!

SixthScaleEdward
02-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Best IM?

Mk I and Mech test :yess:

Definitive red and gold, go for Mk IV
not much QC issue and one of the best Stark Sculpts (along with Mech Test)
plus round arc reactor

Hood
02-18-2012, 09:19 AM
I choose IV because the triangle chestpiece of Mark VI doesn't seem to fit with the overall flow of suit and the silver paint on his arms and legs looks weird. It looks like a work in process suit (a hybrid between IV and V). Even w/o the headsculpt, Mark IV is easily the winner in my opinion.

Mark III- looks buff but looks more like a robot
Mark III BD- looks weird
Mark V- reminds me of Ultraman (japanese superhero)

So in my opinion: Mark IV (for red and gold) and Mech test (for Tony Stark).

mikericm
02-18-2012, 09:24 AM
My Favorite is the Mark IV Secret Project.

The color scheme is really cool. And its the Mark IV. It just an awesome figure.

If you are looking for the best traditional looking IM, I'd agree with everyone elese and say the Mark IV.

Khonsu70
02-18-2012, 09:28 AM
There's also the possibility of holding out a tiny bit longer and seeing if HT proceed with an upgraded Mark III (which I think HIGHLY likely, given HT's recent proclivity for revisiting/improving older releases - they showed off a prototype stealth suit IM which is basicly an upgraded Mark III in a different color scheme). If HT does redo the Mark III, it may include a new RDJ head sculpt and swap-out armor...who knows? Barring, that, though, probably go with the Mark IV - or wait for the Avengers Mark VII!

greymask
02-18-2012, 09:56 AM
If you consider getting into ironman line, you must have mark 6 and war machine :rock

The Mike
02-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I would like to acquire a 'definitive' Iron Man 1/6th figure. Money isn't the problem...I want to know which figure is the best 'definitive' Iron Man figure/set from Hot Toys? Thanks!

http://www.plasmainfusion.com/901493_press01-001.jpg

If you're only going to get one, this would be the one to get. The Mark IV is definitely the best both in Stark likeness and armor configuration so far and it's impressive to see on display at the shows.

and just because:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrf25xbx5J1qlcs3mo1_500.gif

tommyh84
02-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi tommy,

How exactly is the mark vi flimsy? Does the magnet parts fall off easily?

Thanks!

They dont fall off no but I think the amount of changeable parts contributes to the flaky feel of it.

tbh I really wouldn't even consider getting a Mark VI now, for one the prices of them are far too high and for two there's probably a 99.9% chance of a new one coming out to coincide with The Avengers film

Just a question to some IM owners, which mark would you prefer to compliment the current Cap, BW, and Thor HT?

Quick pic of my pre Avengers shelf

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e142/tommyh84/P1010639.jpg

kanine
02-18-2012, 10:32 AM
The Mark VI is my favorite, but if you want the Tony Stark head, you should go with the IV.

Centurion
02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
My vote goes to the Iron Man Gantry with Mk.IV figure. This set will sell in the $450 - $500 USD range. Maybe it'll ship in April/May/June timeframe.

The Mk.IV is still my favorite for nostalgic reasons: red/gold color combo and circular chest arc reactor. The awesome head sculpt is a bonus! With the sunglasses on, he looks completely badass.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3573/5717943776_2f25b000d8_b.jpg

Centurion
02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Mike, you're killin' me with that gif.
Enough already.:rotfl

mrclean08
02-18-2012, 10:54 AM
If you consider getting into ironman line, you must have mark 6 and war machine :rock

This. :exactly:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/michaelcabrera/Hot%20Toys%20Iron%20Man/MarkVI_3op.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/michaelcabrera/Hot%20Toys%20Iron%20Man/War_Machine_1op.jpg

Geb
02-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Awesome guys...thanks for all the comments! If I were to do a poll, the Mk IV would be wining in a landslide. I am now seriously considering the Mk IV with the Gantry...that would be a very definitive display!

DFanatic
02-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Awesome guys...thanks for all the comments! If I were to do a poll, the Mk IV would be wining in a landslide. I am now seriously considering the Mk IV with the Gantry...that would be a very definitive display!

GUY, DO IT! You won't regret it! Mark IV and gantry it's the way to go. Just trust us on this one, we're professionals!

Centurion
02-18-2012, 12:13 PM
GUY, DO IT! You won't regret it! Mark IV and gantry it's the way to go. Just trust us on this one, we're professionals!

LOL! :lol

Geb, it's too bad you've limited yourself to one figure/set. I'm sure you've got your reasons.

If there's anything Hot Toys loves to do, it's pimp out the Iron Man franchise.

Lots more goodies are on the way.

Uncanny Web-Slinger
02-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Mark IV or War Machine

Modus
02-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Mark IV would be my choice but I think the best executed one so far has been the Mark V.

dfchang
02-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Remember the gantry with mark iv does not come with sunglasses which really makes the head sculpt in my opinion. You'll have to get that separately. Also I don't think it includes the donut, box, or neck armor adaptor. Does come with extra mech test arm though.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.150941,-117.594191

EndIessRAlN
02-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Forgot about the Gantry set. I recede my vote for the VI. If you're going to have just one IM figure then the Gantry set with Mark IV is seriously the way to go.

Uncanny Web-Slinger
02-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Get the one of Tony in his armour :lol

Darkseed
02-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Mark I or Mech Test Suit. The only two that actually have a respectable scale in terms of a "man in the suit."

tommyh84
02-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Remember the gantry with mark iv does not come with sunglasses which really makes the head sculpt in my opinion. You'll have to get that separately. Also I don't think it includes the donut, box, or neck armor adaptor.

Wow I'm surprised about that tbh. Has that been confirmed?

Predator1221
02-18-2012, 02:39 PM
between my mark iv and my mark vi I guess I would say I prefer the mark iv as the representation of a definitive iron man figure. However, I prefer the mark vi to be posed with my capt. america and Thor. I tried putting my mark iv in with my avengers display and it just didn't look right to me.

I've collected all of the marks except the mark v and out of all of them I would suggest going with the mark ii unleashed. I usually get bored with these iron man figures pretty quick just b/c they all kind of feel to similar and lacking innovation. My last few purchases were just posed once or twice and then placed in the detolfs. That is not the case with this mark ii. He really just has a much better feel and look. I just can't keep my hands off of him.

bandito
02-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Most Innovative: Mk.5 & 6.
Most Display option: AU Mk. 2
Least articulated: AU Mk.2

dfchang
02-18-2012, 03:10 PM

I believe so. Official specs and photos on the Gantry with Mark IV set make no mention of these accessories.

Which makes sense because those original add-ons were meant to replicate the scene of Tony eating a doughnut on top of the restaurant.

That wouldn't fit with him being outfitted on the Gantry and this would also somewhat differentiate it from being a full on reissue of the Mark IV.

As far as I can recall, the only piece that Hot Toys has out and out reissued with absolutely no difference is the Tumbler.

Every other re-do at least is somewhat different. Even the Mark I 2.0 has a completely different head sculpt as well as that extra flame accessory.

So it makes sense that the Gantry set would give you a Mark IV appropriate for the scene but but somewhat different from the stand alone figure.

Dennis

Agentofchaos
02-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Since you have waited so long, if I were you, I would just wait a little longer for the Avengers Mark VII. :dunno

jstep13
02-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Mark VI ftw...

Agentofchaos
02-18-2012, 03:20 PM

I don't recall seeing any mention of donut box / sunglasses etc in the specs...

dfchang
02-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Since you have waited so long, if I were you, I would just wait a little longer for the Avengers Mark VII. :dunno

Well it's not just a matter of waiting or the newest Mark though.

They are all a little different.

For instance I've never liked the Mark VI and much prefer the look of the original Mark 3 of which the Mark 4 is a further refinement.

I like the look of the bulkier Mark VII in screenshots even less but I will give it a chance and won't judge before seeing it in the theater.

My favorite suit actually is the Mark I, just love it. I have the Sideshow 1/4 scale version and preordered the 2.0 with the improved head sculpt and I would love a lifesize of that if possible.

Of the "modern" suits, though, and especially Hot Toys releases, Mark IV does it for me by a country mile.

The shot of him in sunglasses holding that doughnut is killer. :clap

Dennis

BlitzOUT
02-18-2012, 04:05 PM
The GANTRY!!! (W/ MK 4)

wavestuff
02-18-2012, 04:41 PM
http://www.plasmainfusion.com/901493_press01-001.jpg

If you're only going to get one, this would be the one to get. The Mark IV is definitely the best both in Stark likeness and armor configuration so far and it's impressive to see on display at the shows.

and just because:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrf25xbx5J1qlcs3mo1_500.gif

what he said

Uncanny Web-Slinger
02-18-2012, 05:32 PM
I'd recommend getting the one without rubber pants that can fade :lecture

Predator1221
02-18-2012, 05:44 PM
I'd recommend getting the one without rubber pants that can fade :lecture

This is a very valid point. Some fade worse than others to, and if you finger through the threads for both the mark iv and vi you will see some pretty extreme cases of pink panty syndrome. There is no reason to believe that the Gantry mark iv will be immune to this type of fading, and it doesn't come with the glasses which unfortunatley are very important to the look of the RDJ HS. Like I said before if I were only going to get one I would make it the mark ii.
-no pink panties.
-awesome paint apps.
-infinite display options....... What more do you need???
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-w1UKxiBqwu4/T0BDx2P6GjI/AAAAAAAAAzY/pP6yPE4IA10/s912/146.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HrvVUQDtqBg/T0BD2w051cI/AAAAAAAAAzo/zYwccX00VLk/s640/149.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lMrvPdrpJRo/T0BD3WQKu9I/AAAAAAAAAz0/XSqIHcqBnVw/s640/150.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yssZNNGXLXI/T0BD56KjIkI/AAAAAAAAAz8/IqCjsBMmX34/s912/151.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vjLJzh9M418/T0BDqIiodwI/AAAAAAAAAy0/ZgHFeAKQNqE/s640/142.JPG

Ven
02-18-2012, 05:48 PM
MK. IV

empanada21
02-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Quick pic of my pre Avengers shelf

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e142/tommyh84/P1010639.jpg

Ohh nice! Looks like i'll be going for the mk iv.

hunterelf
02-18-2012, 09:38 PM
VI and get a RDJ HS, then you'll have 3 display style (normal, BD, Tony hs)

willocrew
02-19-2012, 12:12 AM
If you can afford only one iron man, it is best to choose one of the big 3: mark iv, mark vi ...and the highly probably mark III re-release.

Your choice will depend on whether u like the classic looking red/gold colour scheme or the more aggressive silver trimming.

If you like the classic look then you mightt want to pick either the mark iv or the mark III. The markiv has a sleek moden design whereas the markiii looks a bit like medieval armour (take a look at the mark II which is pretty much the same).

If you like the aggressive silver trimmings, you might want to wait for the mark vii which has an even more aggressive design than the mark vi.

gagaliya
02-19-2012, 12:20 AM

Thanks!

they are all just plastic toys, if money isnt the problem, get the sideshow statue version...both the modern version and the classic ex holding the american flag are excellent.

Apone
02-19-2012, 02:37 PM
LOL! :lol

Geb, it's too bad you've limited yourself to one figure/set. I'm sure you've got your reasons.

If there's anything Hot Toys loves to do, it's pimp out the Iron Man franchise.

Lots more goodies are on the way.

I am going to guess its the $300 + pricetag for these F'ers

IXI Nick IXI
02-19-2012, 06:13 PM
This. :exactly:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/michaelcabrera/Hot%20Toys%20Iron%20Man/MarkVI_3op.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/michaelcabrera/Hot%20Toys%20Iron%20Man/War_Machine_1op.jpg

:exactly::lecture:goodpost:

These or...wait for the Avengers announcements

kajobaldisimo
02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
they are all just plastic toys, if money isnt the problem, get the sideshow statue version...both the modern version and the classic ex holding the american flag are excellent.

i think he said "I would like to acquire a 'definitive' Iron Man 1/6th figure."

can't go wrong with either IV or VI, or just wait a bit for how VII will turn out.

IXI Nick IXI
02-19-2012, 06:44 PM
definitive is based on how you prefer your Iron Man...

For me, it needs to be based in red and gold but I like the silver accents to break it up a bit as well.

The chest RT can be round or triangular for me. I prefer the VI now but am loving the VII with the round RT with silver accents...

Its all personal really.

Centurion
02-19-2012, 11:17 PM
I am going to guess its the $300 + pricetag for these F'ers

Not necessarily.
He did say that money was not a problem for him.

tommyh84
02-20-2012, 05:24 AM
definitive is based on how you prefer your Iron Man...

Very true, IMO the definitive Mark is probably the Mark III but the figure hasn't aged well at all compared to the newer releases

BarryAllen
02-21-2012, 04:57 AM
Hi guys,

I need a little assistance here. I just found HT Iron Man VI and War Machine on ebay and I offered the buyer $450 for both figs incl. shipping to Europe from Hong Kong. He agrees to my offer. Do you guys think it is a good deal? Should I do it, buy the figs? Both figs are brand new, unopened as well. The buyer has 3169 feedbacks on his ebay.
But could the figs be fake? Since it is from Asia and a lot of stuff from their are fakes. Help me out folks!

Thanks!

Firebird
02-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Hi guys,

I need a little assistance here. I just found HT Iron Man VI and War Machine on ebay and I offered the buyer $450 for both figs incl. shipping to Europe from Hong Kong. He agrees to my offer. Do you guys think it is a good deal? Should I do it, buy the figs? Both figs are brand new, unopened as well. The buyer has 3169 feedbacks on his ebay.
But could the figs be fake? Since it is from Asia and a lot of stuff from their are fakes. Help me out folks!

Thanks!

Here are two responses that have been post in the "Hot Toys to release whole 1/6 Avengers team!" thread.

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4220669&postcount=65

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4220674&postcount=66

Hope this helps.

magicsp00n
02-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Like a bunch of others, I also had to think about this. Originally I was for the Mark IV but ended up going with the VI because I loved the battle damage pieces and the sweet display stand. I haven't been disappointed one bit with the VI.
But who's kidding? We all know that you can't stop at just one! Since then I've picked up War Machine and won the SS wait list lottery for the Secret Project IV. So I think you're honestly wasting a bit of energy on this. You'll pick up another before too long.

IXI Nick IXI
02-21-2012, 06:44 PM
i only keep one of each character so every time i see one i like better i sell the old one

ChunkyZergling
02-21-2012, 11:29 PM
mark vi mark vi mark vi!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badrat
02-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Mark VI for me. For me, it's something about the color scheme that makes him look awesome. I know it's not the classic look from the comics, but I just like that touch of solver in there. It works. Plus that Mark looks much bulkier than the other suits. Most likely the color again.

Awesome design to me.

IXI Nick IXI
02-22-2012, 05:03 AM
mark vi mark vi mark vi!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark VI for me. For me, it's something about the color scheme that makes him look awesome. I know it's not the classic look from the comics, but I just like that touch of solver in there. It works. Plus that Mark looks much bulkier than the other suits. Most likely the color again.

Awesome design to me.

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

However, the VII looks like its going to give the VI a run for its money!

shells075
05-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I know they have released tons, Mark I, Mark VI,ARMOR UNLEASHED, etc. So which one would be the best to get in your opinion ? As there are so many to choose from.

Adoptedscot
05-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I know they have released tons, Mark I, Mark VI,ARMOR UNLEASHED, etc. So which one would be the best to get in your opinion ? As there are so many to choose from.

I have merged your thread into the existing 'which IM is best to get' thread in the Marvel section, you will get more opinions in here. Many have already posted which they prefer so you can read through and hopefully get some insight.

Cool username btw ;)
x :wave

RagingBull
05-03-2012, 03:51 PM
I own them all but the MK I, which is about to soon change when MK I 2 comes out but my essential two would be between IV & VI. I actually don't like the TS Sculpt that comes with IV but the figure it self is awesome & I feel the same way about VI & I like the fact that it has the Battle Damage version to it as well. I just say get them all :)

RagingBull
05-03-2012, 03:54 PM
:exactly::exactly::exactly:

However, the VII looks like its going to give the VI a run for its money!

Yeah I'm really looking forward to the HT VII. That suit just looks epic

BuddyGus
05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
The yet to be released Mark XIV-XXXXIIVVDMWVSL

I have no idea. I have the original Mark III and love it.

KBA
05-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Wait for something from IM3 if you have patience.

venjo
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
@BuddyGus

do know if hot toys gonna release Mark III again its kinda hard to find these days.

Dracula
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Iron Man MK IV is the best one to get right now IMO, but I would wait for the MK VII.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4JskZcronVo/Tx8L0WtlhSI/AAAAAAAAAMs/MLDjEwfcMZw/s1600/6349e06536c6df520b021be762597121.jpg

BigBoy
11-18-2012, 09:55 AM
if you're goin to pick one go with Ganty Mark IV.. why ? because orignal Mark iv have paint fade issues -_-' pink pantie etc,

and this one looks bad ass together
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q508/BigAndFatAss/81149151.jpg

CTO15
11-18-2012, 10:06 AM
if you're goin to pick one go with Ganty Mark IV.. why ? because orignal Mark iv have paint fade issues -_-' pink pantie etc,

all Iron Man figures have that issue overtime. Its just the rubber/paint that is used

cofphoto
11-18-2012, 10:23 AM

and this one looks bad ass together
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q508/BigAndFatAss/81149151.jpg

These were the very first two figures I started my collection with several months ago. Absolutely had to have an Iron Man figure, and after looking at tons of photos online, the Mk VI was definitely my favorite. I especially love all of the battle damage, which is how I have him displayed.

Picked up both of these bad boys at Frank & Sons for $600, and my collection was born!

thecorsair
11-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Mark I ( 2.0 )
Mark II ( Armor Unleashed )

The others are more iconic but are also likely to end up with pink crotch armor after a while so aren't really worth the money.

mrclean08
11-18-2012, 03:21 PM
My answer to this thread can change every time I open back up a figure and expose myself to it. They're all effing great.

BigBoy
11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
HT Iron man figure are like potato chips ... you can’t have just
one.. They all freaking awesome !!

Viking Spawn
11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
HT Iron man figure are like potato chips ... you canít have just
one.. They all freaking awesome !!

:exactly::exactly::clap

styleznma
11-21-2012, 08:42 AM
I have Mark II armor unleashed and i have to say its just AMAZING, especially all the stuff you get with it,

HellsDelight
08-13-2017, 09:36 AM
This thread should get updated. After so many years everyone might have different opinions by now as Hot Toys released so many different versions :)

Starfleet Captain
08-13-2017, 12:38 PM
For me, if all goes well, the upcoming DC Mark VI

Plastic Bateman
08-13-2017, 02:42 PM
This thread should get updated. After so many years everyone might have different opinions by now as Hot Toys released so many different versions :)

I'm still with the group consensus on this one :wink1:

http://i.imgur.com/5tzpXnC.jpg

GaryPool
08-13-2017, 03:22 PM
I have the die cast Mark 43 and 42 and the 1/4 Mark 32, and by far the best is the 1/4 42, it's an incredible piece for sure, highly recommend it!

darksheep
08-15-2017, 10:55 PM
Hi so if we talking about any figure in the IRON man licence , I am going to suggest you get 2 .

I will list them and some reason for my decision.

1) The War machine MK 1 Die cast

This figure just looks amazing and bulky it is vastly different from any other Armour.
I always though about Iron man and War machine as a team so i think you need both .
The Mk1 also has some really cool features like the fact that its missile pod pops up and out of the shoulders .
The battle damaged parts really are numerous and you can really make it look very beat up .
The magnetic parts on the legs can be placed in a way to make it look like the move when he was about to fly off the stage .
The leds are red so its a nice contrast to the white leds most Iron man figures have .

2) The 1/6 MK 43

I would have sake MK42 but if you can only get 1 or 2 figures most people want a more red Iron Man.
This is a fairly modern looking Iron man suit and looks really good , it looks identical to the MK42 except for paint so in a way it has been in several movies .
The articulation is really good.
To me the proportions look all correct, if I think of a guy in a suit this is what I think about , to me it seems more realistically proportioned than the earlier and
later suits.
The head sculpt nice and there are after market and hot toys head sculpts that fit this suit nicely if you don't want the helmeted look.
If you ever got a hulk buster this could go inside .
The base is really nice and you can create some cool posses with Utron figure.