Your Favorite Episode and Show

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I get older and more mature I find I have new connections with the shows from Whedon, and new connections with episodes.

My list was always Buffy then Angel, and then Firefly. But as I age I see the gap closing. 20 years from now if someone asks me what my favorite show is, I'm going to say Buffy. But it will follow "But tied with Angel and Firefly."

I find Angel and Firefly to obviously be more mature shows but that doesn't mean that a lot of Buffy wasn't mature. It's really hard to explain as to not offend others views.

Anyways, on top of that, my favorite episodes also changed. I find that the connections I used to have to certain episodes have lessened a bit, and grown with other episodes instead.

I'm wondering if anyone else sees this change as they get older? I'm hoping for a civilized conversation. So if anyone plans to get on my nerves, I'll smack you.

My top 10 episode list has and will always just be Buffy episodes. I like Angel but I never really followed it that much when it was originally aired....the same with Firely. My top 10 list is ALWAYS changing, as soon as I make this one, it'll change...but here goes. Also, note that "OMWF" is missing from the list....don't get me started on this one, I have a feeling it could start a fight, lol! :)

1."The Witch"
2."Who Are You?"
3."The Wish"
4."Prophecy Girl"
5."Anne"
6."Restless"
7."Fear, Itself"
8."Chosen"
9."Hush"
10."Help"

I still prefer Buffy to Angel or Firefly:

Buffy - The "Villains" - "Two to Go" - "Grave" arc
Buffy/Angel - "Fool for Love" + "Darla"
Buffy - "Graduation Day"
Angel - "I Will Remember You"
Buffy - "Once More, with Feeling"
Firefly - "Out of gas"

I love all 3 of thous shows But these always stand out....(with My fav Quotes)

Buffy - Lovers Walk
(Spike: You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it kills you both. You'll fight and you'll shag and you'll hate each other till it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends. Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's _____, but at least I'm man enough to admit it.)

Firefly - Serenity
(Mal: Now I did a job; and got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character. So let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job...and then I get paid. Go run your little world.)

Angel - You're Welcome
(Angel: All those tattoos, all those new tricks you've learned just don't matter. Doesn't matter what you try. Doesn't matter where I am or how badass you think you've become. 'Cause you know what? I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.)

I've never seen Firefly, I have seen Serenity, but I've never actually got around to seeing Firefly :)

Buffy was written more for teenagers imo for the first several seasons. I think it was written well as teenagers aren't "mature" in most cases and I hate it when shows are written so mature aka Dawson's Creek, when they are 15 year olds.
This show will always be special to me because I grew up with these guys, they graduated in 1999 and I graduated in 2000, I related to them. Sure now I look back and think some of the episodes are completely lame, but many of them still stand out for me like:
Chosen
Becoming 1 and 2
The Body
Hush
The Gift
(and many others that I can't even remember the name)

I think the fact that I'm collecting statues on this line even though I haven't actually seen an episode for nearly 5 years (I own all episodes on dvd and yet haven't watched them all this time) speaks volumes to me how much I loved and still love this series.

As for Angel, I enjoyed it for the most part, but I never loved it as much as Buffy. I found just because it was "darker and more mature" didn't actually make it better for me. I personally thought they made Cordy an absolute boring character after season 1, it was like they had to have her "grow out of her Buffyness" asap. Some of the story arcs were also horrible like Jasmine and Connor. Perhaps if I watched it again after all these years, I might like it a bit more.

Buffy is my favorite series of all-time, and I don't ever see that changing. Angel is 2nd and will probably always be as well. I loved Firefly but it just sucks so bad that the network execs screwed the pooch by allowing it to be cancelled - with only one season, there's no way it will surpass the other two on my list.

My favorite episode(s) of all them is Buffy-Pangs / Angel-I Will Remember You - I include these together because, really, they go together. What a powerful episode.

There are too many great episodes to list them all, but I also want to throw out The Gift, that episode rocked my world.

p.s. Sidewinder, do yourself a HUGE favor and pickup Firefly!!

I'm watching all of the Buffys again on DVD. Its been a number of years since I've seen any.

I just watched Becoming part 1 and 2 last night and they were very good.

I'm hoping for a civilized conversation. So if anyone plans to get on my nerves, I'll smack you.
:lol :lol Awesome :clap

As to my favourite episodes, there are far too many to mention but I know what you mean about tastes changing.
For example I've watched a few older episodes of Buffy not too long ago and in the past I never liked Oz as a character but after seeing them again, years later I find him quite humorous.
Still can't stand riley though, in fact if it's possible I think I dislike him a little more :lol
They're currently showing S7 and I'm finding the 'potentials' as annoying as ever.

I always found the character progression to be great in Angel. To see Cordelia grow up was a pleasure to watch, even Wesley's transformation from Dorkie Watcher to 'Malboro Man' was very cool.
I just finished watching up to when Connor comes back and stopped cos I hate the Connor storyline, that's not chaged either :lol
I still like S5 though :rock

I've never seen Firefly so can't comment on those.

x :wave

I've loved Oz from the start. My ginger cat is named Oz after that character.

I have never been able to stand Riley either. I don't think I'll ever like him.

I don't like Riley all that much but we did name our rescue baby Riley Finn.

My favorite Firefly episode is Ariel.

I love all 3 shows. I put Firefly on top, but I think it's very easy to do that because it was just 13 stellar episodes.

Angel is next for me. I think it had a little bit of a slow start where it was trying to find its footing. But once it did, it was spectacular. I loved the long story arches with Darla and Dru, and of course the whole Connor thing. And I love the characters, especially Fred and Wesley (and his transformation). Though I never did like Gunn. I didn't think I would, but I did like it when Spike joined. And although I hated what happened to Fred, I grew to really love Illyria and wish she had had more time on the show.

And Buffy. I have to say that my favorite character was always Anya. I loved Anya and hated what happened to her in the season ender. I hated Xander for how he treated her, and hated him even more because of his lack of reaction to her fate in the last episode. I pretty much loved all the seasons except maybe season 6. I just felt it was a little too dark, especially when she starts her relationship with Spike and her working at the burger place. I didn't like that Giles left, either. And I loved Ms. Calendar! Wow. Just thinking back to all those episodes, I'm overwhelmed at how many great shorelines and great characters there were!

I watched Buffy and Angel after they had aired. I remember watching the premiere Buffy episode when it first aired and wasn't that impressed. Years later when I watched the full season of Firefly, I was blown away by the amazing writing and characters. It inspired me to give Buffy and Angel another shot since I had always heard such great things about them. So I watched all the shows consecutively and in chronological order. I started Angel after Buffy's season 3, and would even jump from one show to the other when they had their crossover episodes.

It's been a while since I watched them, so I can't really pick a favorite episode from each. They all just blend in to a mass of goodness!

This thread could get 'deep' and it definitely takes some thought from me. I'll make my list in ascending order to make it that much more dramatic! (Dun, dun, DUNNNNN!)

Firstly, honorable mentions for 'best of' series go to: John Doe and Roswell. I don't know how many of you remember those two. Both were memorable to me for so many reasons. Roswell was Buffy's network sister on both the CW and WB. It was the story about aliens trying to get back home, but along the way, getting much more than they bargained for. Simple concept. Awesomely executed. (Definitely check it out on DVD. I can't stress it enough.)

John Doe was a guy who knew everything there was to know in the world (literally) with the exception of one thing - who he was. Oddly enough, it aired along side of Firefly on Fox friday's back in the day. Canceled after the first season, with a finale that left off on a cliffhanger no less, I've been left for years wondering what could have been. Memories....

My #3 of all time is not a Whedon creation, believe it or not. It's actually Supernatural. I'm not sure how many Supernatural fans we have in here, but I could go on and on and on...but hey, I'll save the spiel for another day. Beside, we already have a thread for that show, so come join. We could you some 'fresh' posts besides the select faithful. New episode tonight, BTW. Shameless plug.

My #2 pick is Angel. Pound for pound (aka season for season), I will argue that it's a stronger series than Buffy in many ways. The story boards were great and let's face it, the idea of a vampire with a soul is brilliant. David Boreanaz sold that character so well, and even then some. The on-screen presence of the rest of the cast, whether you single-out Charisma Carpenter, J. August Richards, Andy Hallett (R.I.P.), Amy Acker, or Alexis Denisof, was stellar. There were no weak links in the cast from beginning to end.

In retrospect, the most memorable (and arguably most favorite) episode for me was 'Hero' of Season 1. It was the last episode we'd ever see Doyle in, and in many ways, this was his 'swan song.' First, let me say, his character was cut way too short on the show. Doyle lasted 9 episodes, but every time I reminisce about the show, I can't help but remember his impact and this episode. It was all about sacrifice and while Doyle was never meant to be a hero like Angel, he certainly was here. The last minute of that episode spoke volumes.

'Is that it? Am I done?' - R.I.P. Glenn Quinn

In terms of a 'top' series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer will always be my #1. At the end of the day, this is the series that started the beginning of my 'craze' (as I affectionately call it. lol) I remember being in high school when I saw my first episode, 'Becoming.' Seeing SMG ride away in the bus, passing the 'Now Leaving Sunnydale' sign, with the Sarah McLachlin's Full of Grace playing in the background, was probably the most powerful moment for me in the show's run.

(So another stunning revelation - Yes, as big of a Buffy fan as I am, I did NOT start watching until the airing of Season 2. lol)

Back to the topic. That was the moment that got me hooked and I still get chills when watching it. 'Becoming' Part 1 and 2 is and has always been my favorite episode in the show's history. Sending the love of your life to Hell? Does it get anymore difficult than that? And how ironic, in his dying moments, Willow restores Angel's soul and it's Angel who we see go to Hell, rather than Angelus.

I connected to that show on so many levels, in large part, because I could relate. I was living it. They had high school drama. So did I. I literally grew up on the show. It was as simple as that, but the way Joss delivered the material, Buffy did it like no others had, has or ever will.

My sister named her first born Riley because of Buffy :lol

Forgive my ignorance but "Rescue Baby"?

We rescued a cat who was to be euthanized. He spent 5 months in a cage without a home, and he was going to be put down. A no kill shelter took him and we adopted him.

This thread could get 'deep' and it definitely takes some thought from me. I'll make my list in ascending order to make it that much more dramatic! (Dun, dun, DUNNNNN!)

Firstly, honorable mentions for 'best of' series go to: John Doe and Roswell. I don't know how many of you remember those two. Both were memorable to me for so many reasons. Roswell was Buffy's network sister on both the CW and WB. It was the story about aliens trying to get back home, but along the way, getting much more than they bargained for. Simple concept. Awesomely executed. (Definitely check it out on DVD. I can't stress it enough.)

John Doe was a guy who knew everything there was to know in the world (literally) with the exception of one thing - who he was. Oddly enough, it aired along side of Firefly on Fox friday's back in the day. Canceled after the first season, with a finale that left off on a cliffhanger no less, I've been left for years wondering what could have been. Memories....

My #3 of all time is not a Whedon creation, believe it or not. It's actually Supernatural. I'm not sure how many Supernatural fans we have in here, but I could go on and on and on...but hey, I'll save the spiel for another day. Beside, we already have a thread for that show, so come join. We could you some 'fresh' posts besides the select faithful. New episode tonight, BTW. Shameless plug.

My #2 pick is Angel. Pound for pound (aka season for season), I will argue that it's a stronger series than Buffy in many ways. The story boards were great and let's face it, the idea of a vampire with a soul is brilliant. David Boreanaz sold that character so well, and even then some. The on-screen presence of the rest of the cast, whether you single-out Charisma Carpenter, J. August Richards, Andy Hallett (R.I.P.), Amy Acker, or Alexis Denisof, was stellar. There were no weak links in the cast from beginning to end.

In retrospect, the most memorable (and arguably most favorite) episode for me was 'Hero' of Season 1. It was the last episode we'd ever see Doyle in, and in many ways, this was his 'swan song.' First, let me say, his character was cut way too short on the show. Doyle lasted 9 episodes, but every time I reminisce about the show, I can't help but remember his impact and this episode. It was all about sacrifice and while Doyle was never meant to be a hero like Angel, he certainly was here. The last minute of that episode spoke volumes.

'Is that it? Am I done?' - R.I.P. Glenn Quinn

In terms of a 'top' series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer will always be my #1. At the end of the day, this is the series that started the beginning of my 'craze' (as I affectionately call it. lol) I remember being in high school when I saw my first episode, 'Becoming.' Seeing SMG ride away in the bus, passing the 'Now Leaving Sunnydale' sign, with the Sarah McLachlin's Full of Grace playing in the background, was probably the most powerful moment for me in the show's run.

(So another stunning revelation - Yes, as big of a Buffy fan as I am, I did NOT start watching until the airing of Season 2. lol)

Back to the topic. That was the moment that got me hooked and I still get chills when watching it. 'Becoming' Part 1 and 2 is and has always been my favorite episode in the show's history. Sending the love of your life to Hell? Does it get anymore difficult than that? And how ironic, in his dying moments, Willow restores Angel's soul and it's Angel who we see go to Hell, rather than Angelus.

I connected to that show on so many levels, in large part, because I could relate. I was living it. They had high school drama. So did I. I literally grew up on the show. It was as simple as that, but the way Joss delivered the material, Buffy did it like no others had, has or ever will.

First question: Are you a guy? Second question: Are you single?:lol
I agree and relate to so much of what you said it's crazy :)

Do you know how many times I watched Becoming part 2? I even taped the Full of Grace song on to tape and listened to it over again, although annoyed that Joyce's voice had to be on it :lol
I started Buffy from the beginning, but would have been in year 11 by the time I saw the end of Season 2. One of the funniest thing was my year 12 English teacher was a huge Buffy fan and he even brought the show up during class at times.

I also LOVED Roswell and John Doe. Roswell had 3 great seasons, it even got me into reading the books, even though they were vastly different. John Doe was such an interesting show, I was so disappointed when it was cancelled. Dominic Purcell is an Aussie, so I started watching it when I heard he was going to be in it. I haven't seen it for so many years now, is it available on dvd anywhere, I would love to see it again.

Supernatural of course is a must watch for me and have been hooked on that from the very beginning.

TOP SHOW LIST:
The X-Files
Buffy
Battlestar Galactica
Supernatural
La Femme Nikita
Farscape
LOST
Friends

Back