Star Wars Soundtrack

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Mitchell

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since "The Phantom Menace" is comming in 3D this week I wondered if there would be a possible re-release of the soundtrack of ALL the movies from scene to scene (like the [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Box-Set/dp/B0002YCVLU/ref=pd_sim_m_14"]OT box set[/ame])

I know there was a so called "TPM Ultimate Edition" but that one wasn't complete either, and for AOTC and ROTS there only was a "track by track" version. It would be awesome to have the full versions of the PT in a box with or without the OT versions.

So what are your thoughts about this?

(sorry if there already was a thread, but I couldn't find it)

There's a 4 disc set of the Phantom Menace score called the complete score. You can look for it on google.

The other two prequel scores aren't as complete or as good as TPM, John Williams seemed to really want to add something great to the StarWars score legacy, but it feels like he lost that after episode I. Lucas did quite a hackjob on all 3 scores and Williams himself has spoke about how frustrating that is. The score for AOTC is chopped up really badly and there's strange cues and themes all over the place. It's due to having Williams create the score for a cut of the film and then Lucas continually editing and rearranging the films up to the last minute. So you get weird things like the Droid Invasion theme for the clonetrooper's big reveal and Yoda's theme being played for Anakin fighting in the geonosis factory.

You were saying John Williams scores for the other movies was due to George Lucas. But that doesn't explain his lack of creativity since he used the same music in two movies.

I have no idea what happened with Harry Potter movies, I don't care really, but I did mention that Williams seemed to just crap out after TPM. He himself has said that working on the prequels and having the scores butchered was very frustrating, and it felt like he didnt even really want to do them anymore. I also didn't say he used scores from other films, he used other StarWars themes, I have no idea if they were literally recycled or part of the new score. Regardless, they were moved around and re-edited by Lucas after Williams was off the project. This was something Lucas also did on Phantom Menace, which most people agree, is a great score. (the complete one anyway)

Last edited:
quick story.

When TPM came out I bought the soundtrack a few weeks before the release of the movie and if you look at the track listing you'll notice I got a HUGE spoiler...:gah:

I promptly put some black marker on it so no one would get spoiled but it kinda pissed me off at the time.

quick story.

When TPM came out I bought the soundtrack a few weeks before the release of the movie and if you look at the track listing you'll notice I got a HUGE spoiler...:gah:

I promptly put some black marker on it so no one would get spoiled but it kinda pissed me off at the time.

The death of _________? lol Stupid to name a track that. Spoiled it for me too.

quick story.

Haha, I remember that.

Yeah, supposedly Williams did a huge score for AOTC, but Lucas butchered it, so he scaled things back for ROTS. Although IMO, ROTS was just as good if not better than AOTC's score.

Yeah, supposedly Williams did a huge score for AOTC, but Lucas butchered it, so he scaled things back for ROTS. Although IMO, ROTS was just as good if not better than AOTC's score.

He's actually said he felt artisically betrayed after what was done to his score on TPM, which is why I think he sort of phoned it in for AOTC. He didn't even do a score for the Arena/battle conclusion to the film, he just left it because Lucas would be editing and changing so much of what happened still. The sound editor ending up splicing a lot of different sources to fill in the score. Williams did do a large score for the film apparently but it's never been released, the only StarWars film to have that happen. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Looks like they are re-releasing at least the covers.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B001ADQXAM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328620870&sr=8-2[/ame]

519aQWdQXmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Qui-Gon thing was never really a spoiler. His absence in the OT was all the indication I needed that this was a character who was probably going to die.

He's actually said he felt artisically betrayed after what was done to his score on TPM, which is why I think he sort of phoned it in for AOTC. He didn't even do a score for the Arena/battle conclusion to the film, he just left it because Lucas would be editing and changing so much of what happened still. The sound editor ending up splicing a lot of different sources to fill in the score. Williams did do a large score for the film apparently but it's never been released, the only StarWars film to have that happen. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Lucas really did become the very thing he hated when starting out.

The Qui-Gon thing was never really a spoiler. His absence in the OT was all the indication I needed that this was a character who was probably going to die.

Lucas really did become the very thing he hated when starting out.

Yeah Lucas became the big studio that he always hated and loathed the oppressiveness of.

I had no idea that Williams' score was butchered. I would love to hear what he really created, because frankly, the soundtracks for the films and what was released on CD aren't that memorable for me. Plus I agree that a lot of the same music cues were used throughout all 3 films and for different characters.

Lucas may have butchered the soundtrack of the PT, but still I would like to have a "complete movie" soundtrack of the PT movies.
On the other hand I kind of like what Lucas did with the music that was heard in AOTC and ROTS. Williams did kind of the same thing with the soundtrack of the OT, in particular when Vader/the Empire was on the screen.

And indeed the Quidditch match part in the Chase music of AOTC is a bit disapointing :(

So when I've said that Williams' music for different films has become interchangeable I was dead-on and in fact that has literally been done.

Back