2 Part Mold Questions - NOW WITH PIX!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crueshopofhorrors

Super Freak
Reaction score
Greetings all!

Ok, I'm definately not new to molding and casting, have been doing it for a while now. However, a project has come up, and I'd like some ideas from other people. :1-1:

I have a very intricate and fragile model made from sculpey (maybe super sculpey), that has aluminum wire as a base inside. The only way, in my mind, to make a mold of it is a 2 part mold.

So, when building up the bottom layer, to cover the bottom half with clay, would the clay cause a problem with the sculpey? Also, is there any other materials that would be easier to clean than clay, that would work to make that bottom half?

Here's some pictures:
297091_203238779740488_203237419740624_553796_6697496_n.jpg

318878_203266926404340_203237419740624_553872_3238449_n.jpg

319566_203267063070993_203237419740624_553874_5293425_n.jpg

Also, the space between his legs is pretty much hollow, should I use a different type of mold? Like I said, he's kinda cracking in a few places, just want to go ahead and get the first casting done on him. He's really intricate. Lol.

Thanks so much for any and all help!!! :hi5:

Last edited:
Re: 2 Part Mold Questions

Greetings all!

Ok, I'm definately not new to molding and casting, have been doing it for a while now. However, a project has come up, and I'd like some ideas from other people. :1-1:

I have a very intricate and fragile model made from sculpey (maybe super sculpey), that has aluminum wire as a base inside. The only way, in my mind, to make a mold of it is a 2 part mold.

So, when building up the bottom layer, to cover the bottom half with clay, would the clay cause a problem with the sculpey? Also, is there any other materials that would be easier to clean than clay, that would work to make that bottom half?

Thanks so much for any and all help!!! :hi5:

As far as easier to clean I can't think of anything but if you are worried about it sticking this usually works.

https://www.smooth-on.com/Release-Agents-and/c9_1123_1226/index.html

Ski

Clean clay shouldn't bother Sculpey;once it's cured it's pretty inert.Just take your time and be gentle with it...PS

Also, the space between his legs is pretty much hollow, should I use a different type of mold? Like I said, he's kinda cracking in a few places, just want to go ahead and get the first casting done on him. He's really intricate. Lol.

Others may have a different opinion but I think you are going to have a tough time molding that as one piece. I think you would be more successful cutting off the limbs and molding them separate.

You definitely got your hands full with trying to mold this in one piece. I would have to agree with robbiethepainter that it would be much easier to cut the limbs and mold it in pieces.

If the sculpt is already fragile then you could try making a "quick and dirty" version of it in SS for testing purposes. If you miss a gap during the prep for molding and the rubber mold seeps through you could risk not only damaging the mold when it comes time to remove it, the the sculpt itself (you mentioned it was already cracking.

To keep the back side of it clean you could try brushing on a thin coat of latex rubber mold (they sell it at Michaels and ACMoore). The clay will be pressed up against that and not the sculpt and if you seal/mold release it the latex "should" peal off when you are ready to mold the other side.

Again, I would recommend testing first before jumping in and risking damage to the original.

Good Luck!

Thanks wax, mark, and robbie! I'd thought about cutting off the limbs as well. Just trying to see what different opinions I could get. :)

Now that I see what you're working with, I gotta agree with Mark and Robbie;you'll never get that out of a single mold(not in one piece,anyway). Best solution-take 'im apart and do several piece molds. More expensive and time consuming, but far less aggravation...PS

Back