In A Galaxy Not So Far Away: The Star Wars Filming Locations of the U.S.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Okay, since this has officially begun I would be remiss not to let fellow Freaks know about it...

As some of you already know, I co-wrote a travel guide to the Star Wars locations based in the continental United States with 2 of my good friends. This was years ago. Our research actually began in 1999 and went through 2001 and we started actually locating sites in 2002 (which is why I look so young and skinny in many of the pics :lol).

Anyway, the initial idea was just to document everything, because when we started researching there was nothing except for a modest article in an issue of Star Wars Insider. So the thought was to develop an all-encompassing and functional travel guide that fans could use to actually locate and see some of these iconic locations for themselves. But we included a lot of historical and anecdotal information. Basically it's a Star Wars reference book that can actually be used.

Initially, Lucasfilm was keen on the idea, but they were still in the middle of the prequels so their attention was focused elsewhere. So with very little help from them we did all of the legwork and all of the expenses came out of our own pockets.

To make an already long-winded story relatively short, we were strong along for YEARS. Eventually (in 2009, I think) Lucasfilm officially passed on the book and said it wasn't something they were interested in but that we could move on with an unofficial/unauthorized book. Because of that, 2 of the interested publishers (SW licensees that can't be named) backed out and we were completely on our own. I basically washed my hands of it and moved on. But my good friend Adam Parr did the opposite... he made it an almost obsessive mission to make the book happen, come Hell or highwater. Afterall, we'd already written and edited it years ago.

Adam came into contact with a self-publishing group, graphic artist and printing agency based in Memphis, TN. And after a couple of months of back-and-forth the book is actually nearly a reality! All that stands in the way now is the $$ necessary to make the first printing (and marketing) possible. But since we've already sunk more than $5,000 each into this thing Adam came up with the idea of trying Kickstarter as a means of raising the $9,000 necessary for the book to printed and presented the way it was meant to be.

If you have a moment, please take a look at our Kickstarter page and pass along the word to anyone you think might be interested. Rebelscum, TheForce.Net and others will be featuring it soon and we'll be on Podcasts and such, but every little bit counts and I definitely wanted my fellow Sideshow Freaks friends to be privvy to this. :)

Here is the link to the Kickstarter page (which also has a video, the book cover, images of sample pages, and lots of details on the book itself. which you yourself may find cool):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/894661479/the-star-wars-filming-locations-of-the-us-our-book

378536_340499255968970_239345636084333_1354197_1765145246_n.jpg

This is just the first day that the Kickstarter page has been open:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/894661479/the-star-wars-filming-locations-of-the-us-our-book

395666_347705858581643_239345636084333_1376113_1894769740_n.jpg

395763_347705831914979_239345636084333_1376111_211008573_n.jpg

406379_347705851914977_239345636084333_1376112_623889970_n.jpg

401090_347705881914974_239345636084333_1376114_942093982_n.jpg

Thanks so much!

Carl

Wish I had that much free time and the money to go around travelling the US. Love that Damn country for holidays. :D

Cool project but I will pass on the donation.

Last edited:
This will make an interesting read! Didn't know Naboo is in the US, Wishing you best of luck and success on this project!!!

This is an inspiring journey you guys undertook. :clap
I'm going to donate. I love it when people realize their dreams.
Congratulations!

No physical Ewok Village set was ever built in Crescent City it was all built and shot on the the soundstage at Elstree.

The only set built in Crescent city was the exterior bunker and a stationary AT-ST walker.

Crescent City was used for all Endor footage outside of the village - the battle, the speeder bike chase, the food trap.

You can check the shooting schedule here :-

https://www.returningtorotj.blogspot.com/

That being said I'll be donating some cash later on.

You guys should work in conjunction with Mark Dermul who has the guides written for Norway, Djerbe & Italy. Bring together THE SW location resource.

They was also some exterior Ewok/Hoth stuff shot in the UK so that could be added to the mix.

No physical Ewok Village set was ever built in Crescent City it was all built and shot on the the soundstage at Elstree.

The only set built in Crescent city was the exterior bunker and a stationary AT-ST walker

Exactly. The exterior daylight scenes were what were filmed in Northern California (oh, and the Vader Funeral Pyre, which was actually done very hush-hush on Skywalker Ranch).

You guys should work in conjunction with Mark Dermul who has the guides written for Norway, Djerbe & Italy. Bring together THE SW location resource.

They was also some exterior Ewok/Hoth stuff shot in the UK so that could be added to the mix.

Absolutely. That's already being discussed. If this book does well, there will be another focusing on all of the overseas locations (including Tunisia). We would definitely reach out to Mark and others. We're even mulling over the idea of doing an INDY one, but I'm not sure there'd be much interest in that.

Thanks for the kind words so far, everyone! :duff

Very cool project Carl. I hope you all are able to get the donations you need. I went ahead and donated to get a first edition copy of the book. I'm not a big SW fan - but I have a good friend who is and he will love this! :)

Very cool project Carl. I hope you all are able to get the donations you need. I went ahead and donated to get a first edition copy of the book. I'm not a big SW fan - but I have a good friend who is and he will love this! :)

Awesome! Thanks, Jen! :duff

We're around 35% funded with over 3 weeks left. Plus, we've been booked to promote it on various podcasts and news outlets and other sites have promised coverage. Feeling cautiously optimistic about it, so far. :pray:

We're around 35% funded with over 3 weeks left. Plus, we've been booked to promote it on various podcasts and news outlets and other sites have promised coverage. Feeling cautiously optimistic about it, so far. :pray:

That's great Carl! I hope they give you that extra push to reach your goal. :duff

good job. its funny how a completely retarded "cook book" with horrible recipes can get official SW sign off but something like this can't.

Back