Drilling hole for sculpt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaT

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all hope someone can help. Now i've got more into custom sculpts what do people use to drill out a hole in the sculpt. Do u use certain pieces to get the right hole to use the sculpt for a certain body such as the HT muscle bodies. Do u use a normal drill or the dremel? Any help would be great.

Cheers
Emma

I mark the centre spot and start with a small drill to make a pilot hole and then gradually increase the hole size each time going up by 1 or 2 mms. Even if I start with a dremel, I'll switch to a normal electric drill as I usually end up using a 12mm drill. If the hole is still a bit tight I use the dremel with a grinding stone to enlarge the hole, until the neck plug fits.

Last edited:
If you've got a dremil and stand you can compensate bigger drill bits with cutters like this

dremel+cutter+attachment.jpg

If you are doing a head with a neck,cut the plug down and glue it to the head.as for a neckless head,see above.

I just use a drill press, working through 10mm (for head plug) up to 15mm (to fit neck size. The resin is soft enough to be able to hold head in my hand and push it up onto the drill bit.

Don't recommend this though for already painted heads, paint gets worn off. Use a dremel for these.

Hey all hope someone can help. Now i've got more into custom sculpts what do people use to drill out a hole in the sculpt. Do u use certain pieces to get the right hole to use the sculpt for a certain body such as the HT muscle bodies. Do u use a normal drill or the dremel? Any help would be great.

Cheers
Emma

DSCN0410.jpg

Hey all,

Brand new to this game. I've got a dremel, but what does your head drilling set up look like? Specifically, what size bit do you use for the dremel?

A n00b's guide to this that can help me step by step would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey all,

Brand new to this game. I've got a dremel, but what does your head drilling set up look like? Specifically, what size bit do you use for the dremel?

A n00b's guide to this that can help me step by step would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I second the want for a n00b's guide. I have a few heads that were not drilled and I'd prefer to drill them myself vs sending them off to someone just to have it drilled (which i have done in the past)

Hey all,

I mark the centre spot and start with a small drill to make a pilot hole and then gradually increase the hole size each time going up by 1 or 2 mms. Even if I start with a dremel, I'll switch to a normal electric drill as I usually end up using a 12mm drill. If the hole is still a bit tight I use the dremel with a grinding stone to enlarge the hole, until the neck plug fits.

Like he said, start small and work up to the correct size. You can alway make it bigger, but you can't make it smaller.

I just did this 5 minutes ago for the first time, and read this thread first. Here is my experience:

I had a suction mount vise similar to this:

imagelibrary.php

Perfect for holding a head without damaging it. I then used a cordless drill and started with a small drill bit and worked my way up. I had a TTM19 body minus the head to use as a test.

I started by drilling test holes into a block of wood. I found that a 3/8" drill bit was a little too small, and the next one up, a 1/2" was too big. With the 1/2" bit, the neck post went right in with room to spare all the way around. So if I used that size, my head would flop all over the place. I believe there is some sort of putty that people use, so if you plan on using that, then drilling the hole too big probably wouldn't be a big deal. I wanted a snug fit between my neck post and my head so I went with the 3/8" bit.

So when I drilled into my resin head, I started pretty small and worked my way up to the 3/8" bit. After drilling a straight 3/8" hole, I then slowly rotated the drill around just a little to slightly widen the hole. Then I got out my Dremmel and used one of the pointed abrasive bits to gradually increase the opening and smooth the inside out.

As mentioned, take your time. And make sure your initial hole is centered.

Oh one more thing. The big 3/8" drill bit grabbed quite a bit more than the smaller ones because it's so big. If I had been going too fast, I may have drilled it right through the other side of my head! so GO SLOW!

Hope this helps someone. :)

Excellent thanks for the tips. What size is that vice. I have been looking for vices but need to get one that would fit the head nicely.

This isn't exactly what I have, but I think if you search "suction base vise" you'll find several different ones. In order for a vice to be a suction cup base, it has to be smaller and not intended for working with anything big. The one that I have is maybe 4" x 4" at the base?

Back