Skin tone resin?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenonithus

Freaked Out
Reaction score
For me the most realistic looking heads I've seen always have a good skin colored resin as a base. I get the basic gist of how the resin is made ie. mixing dye with clear resin. Though I think it's whats in the magic mix that is a bit of a mystery.

The only skin color dye I've come across is Alumilite: Caucasian, Native American, African American. From this image Caucasian looks pretty washed out. Native American would be closer but is still too brown. Possibly a mix of the two could work?

dye9.jpg

Here's a really nice example of a good skin coloured resin I've come across (repainted by Skwerl)

hairexpt2fo4.jpg

To me it looks as if some red and other colors may be required. Also mixing this stuff seems to be a sensitive process. I'm assuming everything is done in drops?

Any advice or info would be a great help :)

Bump! Can anyone contribute to this?? So many skin coloured cast heads on the board :(

that last pic is painted to have that look in the skin , the red and such is painted on, theres no skin tone resing that will give you that result since it always comes out flat flesh or flat black and so on... pigmentation cant be done from a cast , its painted on...

Here is a good mix formula for skin tone when working with paint: white, flesh and light brown. Start with white, mix in flesh to arrive at the right value(light or dark) of the flesh tone and then add light brown to knock down the pink. If the tone you're after is a bit rosy, add vermilion. If it leans toward brown, add more light brown and a little green.

Go to smoothon.com and look at resin tints. Use the same formula when mixing part B of your resin and the tints.

My source for the formula above is a book called pop sculpture.

you're right the paint job definitely finalizes the overall skin in that pic, though I still think it started out as some sort of fleshy resin base and not say solid white as I can see some sub surface scattering especially around the nose where the light shines through.

Thanks for the painting tips mg2065 :)

I was also thinking of casting a head in a burnt umber dyed transparent resin to act as a sub dermal layer. Then dry brush a fleshy paint for the epidermal. Not sure how that would turn out though worth a try ;)

Uh, just seen this thread...very interesting! Been experimenting with this lately myself, trying to get a decent looking result without too much work with the brush after casting.

I've about got the resin colour right--took five(!) colours in the end, adding a bit of this or that, and casting a test each time (essential as my polyurethane resin dries white, so has to be taken into account colourwise). To get decent colouring to the resin, I had to use the proper tints--completely opaque finish. Expensive stuff!

What I've got so far is a flattish looking, opaque flesh cast, that needs a bit of paint experimentation to get decent high/low lights...which I'm doing at the moment. As they come out of the mould, they look better than a straight painted head...just need to do some paint tests, for minimal finishing.

I'll be back, with some results! :duff

Back