Too much sealent? over dull coating and fixing...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond F.

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone tried this with something they painted...

They sprayed on the dullcoat a little too thick, or before the paint had fully cured and it ended up with a sateen finish instead of flat... and so after it dried, you tried hitting it with a gloss coat, letting it dry again and then again with the dull coat just lightly misting it the second time. So essentially you are dull coating over a gloss coat, that you put over something you already dullcoated.

My logical brain things it will work, but i fear that the coats will all blend together and turn into a big muddy glossy mess.

Anyone know if its safe?

Hey Raymond, not exactly glossy but more of a film, sort of like you are looking at a thin coat of glass/plastic around the head if that makes any sense.

Ski

Last edited:
They sprayed on the dullcoat a little too thick, or before the paint had fully cured and it ended up with a sateen finish instead of flat... and so after it dried, you tried hitting it with a gloss coat, letting it dry again and then again with the dull coat just lightly misting it the second time.

Why not let it fully dry for a few day's until it's hardened, and then mist it with dullcoat again? You can skip the glosscoat imo.....

So essentially you are dull coating over a gloss coat, that you put over something you already dullcoated.

Yes, personally l would dullcoat it again, but VERY thin! Also shake the can very well!

My logical brain things it will work, but i fear that the coats will all blend together and turn into a big muddy glossy mess.

Anyone know if its safe?

If you let the coats fully dry in between, it must be safe, on the other hand, does "safe" exist when we talk about varnishes and gloss/dull coats? I doubt that :huh

Your best bet to salvage what's underneath is just to strip it and repaint and refinish. Piling coat after coat on it is only going to make it tackier and shinier, wasting both the coating agent and your time in the process.

Yes, personally l would dullcoat it again, but VERY thin! Also shake the can very well!

Having had a lot of experience with dullcote, I can say that if you're having trouble with it leaving a sheen, this is the reason why. Shake the hell out of it, make sure the head has had time to cure, and give it another pass.

Having had a lot of experience with dullcote, I can say that if you're having trouble with it leaving a sheen, this is the reason why. Shake the hell out of it, make sure the head has had time to cure, and give it another pass.

True! l think 90% of the cases it's not shaken well enough, the other 10% the can might be too old....With millitary scale-modelling vehicles l prefer not to use varnish at all, but with action figures l have too....

You might also want to try it with a different can of Dull Kote. They can vary from can to can.

:lecture so far my favs...

Model Master Flat/Gloss brush on and Testors Dullcote spray.

I have Krylon btw, haven't used it ages but I hate it! Also Gamesworks version is not great on apps.

Is Model Master acrylic flat brush on good to seal a paint job? Or is sealing with an airbrush/spraycan better? l ask because Testors dullcoat is very hard to get here in The Netherlands....

You can do either but make sure that the paint app is cured and just go in layers, never go over it several times in the same brushing application. If you decide you need a little more, let it dry/cure and then apply a few more brush strokes.

Also I would use the model master stuff on the rubber heads and the on spray resin type heads, sometimes you can run into chemical reactions with the aerosol on rubber heads.

Why not let it fully dry for a few day's until it's hardened, and then mist it with dullcoat again? You can skip the glosscoat imo.....

If you let the coats fully dry in between, it must be safe, on the other hand, does "safe" exist when we talk about varnishes and gloss/dull coats? I doubt that :huh

Thanks to Skiman and the others for the great advice, this advice from necro proved to be the ticket!! It worked great. really great.

For all future freaks reading this with the same problem the trick is to wait a full few days so it's totally dry. 48-72 hours min. No hair drying either it has to be really dry. what happened with me at least is i think it mixed the paint and dull coat together upon my first coat. but when it truly dried it essentially created a new layer of mat.

the trick is to LIGHTLY mist it when you go back when it's dry. 2 mists should do the trick.

certainly don't strip your paint job lol. or at least try this before you do if you got nothing to lose, things can most certainly be salvaged.

Back