Action Figure Cursed Jack Sparrow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzyarse

Super Freak
Reaction score
Yes, coming soon...
I have begun work on a custom HT Cursed Jack Sparrow using many DX parts and a pair of T600 endo hands.
The idea is to finish up with a posable skeleton, with posable fingers, and PERS system for the eyes.
The most difficult part of this project is going to be having a jointed skeleton, which also is robust enough not to snap when touched!
Any ideas and thoughts from members as this progresses will be welcomed, but for now here is progress on the face. I have gone frame by frame through the POTC DVD (Curse of the Black Pearl) for reference, and I have a few ideas for doing the dreadlocks.
This face was done by casting the HT face in plaster, then carving away to get the ragged flesh and exposed right cheek bone. The nose, smile and teeth were done by my son (props to you Adam).
I have so far managed to sculpt and cast the top of the skull (and bandana) so it fits tight, yet allows removal for access to the PERS system.
So far so good!
More to come as this progresses.
Dizzy

Last edited:
And some first workings of the dreads.
I used some spare predator rubber dreads, and added some thin black wool in a couple of places.
Dizzy

Just a little update,
I am working on the hands this week... not convinced this will work out as I am using T700 endoskeleton hands and it is difficult to get them looking like skeletal fingers and not mechanical hands.
I am trying different types of camouflaging with shades of grey. This is going to be one of those things that either works, or it doesn't. But never mind... I always have plan B!
I will post some pictures over the weekend.
Dizzy

try to make them based on wire and sculpt the bones and some flesh around it with super sculpey or so?!
or make recasts of the hands and use a dremel (they`re anyway too big ;-)

Last edited:
Looks good, are those pred dreads?

Anyway l never understood that scene when he becames cursed after being stabbed, he wasn't cursed before so not sure why he was like that all of a sudden, guess they just thought it would be a good scene.

Yes fear 666 xxx, they are pred dreads, but I am not happy with them. The right effect, but look like a bodge-job! As the skull cap is removable it is not a problem, I may try dolls-hair next.
Digitaldump, plan b is the wire and sculpey approach. I thought the endo hands would look good, but not 100% sold on those. Still, this is how I learn, by having a go, then wait a few days and get some opinions from the board.
Dizzy

So here are a few pictures.
Firstly, before work began, then after a bit of sculpting and painting. The knuckle joints look very noticeable close up and with the hands on their own. In context either holding objects, or with the face they are less pronounced, and from a normal viewing distance they look like bones and ragged flesh.
Feel free to discuss and comment... but I would prefer constructive criticism to "troll" posts.
Dizzy

Definitely still looks like robotic hands, IMO. How about carving TT hands with different expressions? I would think they would look better like that. There's nothing wrong with sacrificing the articulation of the robo hands with better looking, TT hands. Many of them in different expressions?

How's about you try putting on some of Jack's cloth pieces onto those hands? Maybe that would cover up some of the obviousness...

Thanks for your input Silasya77, I will mull that over. I would like articulation in the fingers though... perhaps I can do a mix of TT hands and wire/sculpey fingers.
Hmmm, food for thought.
Dizzy

So, using Silasya77s' idea I did use TT hands with wire, but instead of sculpey I had some Plasticard (styrene) tubes which fit perfectly over the wire.
The TT fingers get cut off at the knuckle, and the remaining part of the hands has detail carved into it so that when painted they look like ragged flesh over bone. It also means I can utilize the attachment point for the wrist ball joints.
The tubes are cut into finger bone size lengths, and sanded in the middle. This means that the wire bends in the right places for posing the hands.
These bones can then be slid over the wire, and act as fingers.
As I have different size diameter tubes I can also use this technique on other parts of the body which may require articulation.
Nice one Silasya77!

Back