Alba to play in remake "THE EYE"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOE

3 Legged Kurgan
Reaction score
Alba gets The Eye
Sin City star in talks to head up Hong Kong rehash
13 Jul 2006 9:59am

It doesn’t look like Jessica Alba will be kicking back on a beach once she’s wrapped Fantastic Four And The Silver Surfer. Having already committed to a stack of flicks, including Sin City 2, the Californian cutie is thinking of adding palm-dampening thriller The Eye to her bulging to-do list.

Based on the Hong Kong horror from sibling directors Danny and Oxide Pang, the tale follows a cornea transplant patient who witnesses disturbing images in the mirror and makes it her mission to find out what happened to the eye’s original owner.

The remake rights were hoovered up in 2002 by Paramount, at the request of Cruise/Wagner productions. But when producing partners Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner lost their original lead Renee Zellweger, the project slipped into limbo.

Step forward Lionsgate, who have hired French directing duo David Moreau and Xavier Palud and will begin shooting at the end of the year.

why?!! :monkey2 don't get me wrong she's hot, but ...:monkey2 Another butchered re-make to happen.

Oh well, I've seen the original and it's so so. I won't be looking out for the remake. Then again, every excuse is good enough to see Alba on the silver screen :D.

Will someone tell Hollywood to STOP remaking great Chinese and Japanese horror movies? What's so great about these movies is that they're not all "car chases and exploding heads". They're potboilers, with totally creepy/scary pay-offs. I liked "The Eye", it had me completely creeped out the entire time. It's not like there were things jumping out at the main character going "Boo!", but the movie set-up was such that I kept thinking something WAS going to jump out and grab/eat/flay/behead her, all through the movie. This kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Hollywood takes a great idea and makes too many things go "bumpBAMPOW!!!!!" in the night, instead of just letting them go "bump".

Sometimes less is more. :rolleyes:

the original was okay. i have a love/hate relationship w/ it. it wasn't the greatest horror flick but it holds the distinction for the ONLY movie to literally make me jump outta my seat. i was watching it while exhausted, and was starting to fall asleep (yep, that boring), and i did something i never do in a horror film. let my guard down. then IT happened. i was on my feet in fight or flight mode heh.

anyway, as much as i think most remakes are uncalled for the resources better used elsewhere, this may befifit from one. and as usual, it'll reach a larger,younger audience blah blah.

Migwit said:
Will someone tell Hollywood to STOP remaking great Chinese and Japanese horror movies? What's so great about these movies is that they're not all "car chases and exploding heads". They're potboilers, with totally creepy/scary pay-offs. I liked "The Eye", it had me completely creeped out the entire time. It's not like there were things jumping out at the main character going "Boo!", but the movie set-up was such that I kept thinking something WAS going to jump out and grab/eat/flay/behead her, all through the movie. This kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Hollywood takes a great idea and makes too many things go "bumpBAMPOW!!!!!" in the night, instead of just letting them go "bump".

Sometimes less is more. :rolleyes:
I totally agree with you. I enjoy the creepy factor of these movies and don't think Hollywood remakes are necessary (the Grudge, anyone?). I guess $$$ speaks louder than common sense.

I really liked the Eye a lot. It wasn't the creepiest of the Asian shock movies, but the traffic jam scene was one of the best of any type movie.

I think its mostly for people who can't read subtitles... I remember when I saw Hero in the theatre I was warned by the ticket seller that the movie was in Mandarin (they even had a sign posted), evidently a bunch of people got pissed off when they went into a foreign film and it wasn't in English, so stupid :monkey1

I won't watch a foreign film that's dubbed. Watching dubbed movies is lazy movie-watching. Why bother? Give me subtitles or nothing at all. And yes, I am a Subtitle Snob! :D :lol My biggest regret (ok, maybe not my BIGGEST regret! <g>) is the lack of time available for me to learn other languages so I can dispense with the subtitles altogether! :lol :monkey1 But subtitles are a double edged sword. On the one hand, it makes you pay attention to the movie a LOT more closely than you might if it were in your native tongue. On the other hand, it makes getting up to get a drink/snack/go to the bathroom/blow your nose almost impossible because if you look away you miss something! (That's what dvd's are for!)

My FAVorite Asian horror flick is "The Audition". Talk about making me jump up off the couch during one parTICular scene!!! Another potboiler, but the payoff in THIS one is over the TOP!!! Wow!! If Hollywood ever remade this one, I'd be surprised. It's my opinion that U.S. audiences as a whole don't have an appreciation for subtle horror movies, everything's gotta be spelled out and in their faces... (Just IMHO...) :monkey3 (Although the payoff in "The Audition" isn't exactly 'subtle horror', I admit...)

The Audition is also my favorite of the Asian horror flicks. It's one of those movies where you think nothing is really going to happen and then...:horror you can't believe what you're watching! The next day I was telling all my friends they had to see it.

Grave of the Fireflies is perhaps the most haunting and beautifully sad movies ever. It kills me every time. I've never watched the dubbed version. I don't see the need.

Batty, I stayed up laaaaaate one night to catch "The Audition" on Starz. So while I wasn't sleepy or bored during the movie, I was in that "state", where one feels a bit edgy due to being so tired. I had heard 'something' about this movie, but the person who told me about it wasn't giving ANYthing away! By the time the end rolled around, I was literally on my feet with my hand over my mouth going "WTF?!?!?!!!!?" I was awake then!

Looks like I need to put "Grave of the Fireflies" on my Must See list!

I saw one Chinese film (can't remember the name; shame on me!). I originally watched it dubbed (my bad, it was like my VERY first foreign film ever, so this was a long time ago!). Then thought, what the heck, let me watch it again with the subtitles. I wanted to hear the actors speak their own lines instead of some Hollywood voice talent doing their own interpretations. So lo and behold when I watch it with subtitles, there's actually a DIFFERENT story going on! The ending has a completely different meaning with the more accurate subtitles than the silly dubbed dialogue! I was floored! (But happy that I was "freed" from the misery of dubbing!) :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Hmmmm I'll have to put "Grave of the Fireflies" on my list as well. Thanks Batty!

I saw "The Audition" about two months ago and I have to say with all the praise I see heaped on Asian horror I really wasn't all that impressed with the story. I found it a little too predictable and some of the flashes here and there of the 'backstory' only served to confuse a little (the movie would have worked fine without them IMO). I guess I'm just into a different type of horror genre. But I haven't given up on Asian horror just yet. I saw "Pray" recently and thought it was ok and I have a few other's in my netflix queue.

As for remakes...please stop Hollywood...just stop.

As for dubbed movies...bleh! Reading subtitles is not that difficult and isn't as annoying as watching dubbed films. I have to imagine watching "Night Watch" dubbed and what a travesty that would be considering how the subtitles of that film are a 'living' part of it.

CAhobbit said:
Hmmmm I'll have to put "Grave of the Fireflies" on my list as well. Thanks Batty!
If you guys don't already know, Grave of the Fireflies is an anime about two children trying to survive on their own during WWII. It's amazingly powerful and not for everyone's taste. I would recommend reading some reviews on Amazon. I don't want everyone to think it's a horror movie. Well, it is, but it's about the horror of war.

Batty said:
If you guys don't already know, Grave of the Fireflies is an anime about two children trying to survive on their own during WWII. It's amazingly powerful and not for everyone's taste. I would recommend reading some reviews on Amazon. I don't want everyone to think it's a horror movie. Well, it is, but it's about the horror of war.

Yup I read the synopsis on Netflix for it and it was intriguing so now it's in my queue. :D

Batty said:

It is such a great film. The film totally shows the whole different side during and after the bombing of Hiroshima or Nagasaki, was it?? Anyway, it is a must see. After watching the film, it made me wonder wheter the same effect would have been the same if it was shot with "real" people, as in film.

Also, I am a subtitle freak. As of right now, Hollywood films are not original in creativity which makes me resort to foreign films. Asian Ghost story films are slow and surprise type. Due to the slow plot, it kinda gets boring at times, but when the scaryness hits boy it is scary.

I think it was actually the Firebombings of cities that they reference in the movie... which is something most Americans aren't even aware of. I don't remember where the children live, but it is a very powerful and moving film.

I seem to recall some reviews about "Grave of the Fireflies" back when it was released, and I did remember it was anime. My impression at the time I read the initial reviews was that it was highly recommended, and now I am hearing it from real people who've seen it! I figured the "horror" wasn't so much "monster" as "life is hell", from the little that I knew about it. I'll go read some of the stuff on Amazon, but it's definitely going into my Netflix queue. :monkey1

I've only seen Grave of the Fireflies once, many years ago. It was just too depressing to watch again.

Back